Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chili posted:

Absolutely. I just called up my girlfriend and she has decided for both of us that we will 100% be volunteering there over the weekend. Pictures will totally be happening.

:D

Awesome stuff man.

I wish I could get animal control to get this coyote that's too close to the building. People keep throwing it food :(

Pander has a new favorite as of 16:44 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
The YOSPOS cat thread does it again, forum user Air Force Bake Sale's wife made this:

Amphiuma posted:

BEHOLD

As suggested by AFBS: First nerd to ID all 13 cattes gets a free poster! For everybody else, you can order 'em right here on the Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/190182200/a-catte-in-need ...and we will promptly ship them to you with our own loving hands.

OC, refurb, sadie, pudding or minnie, moo, cloudcattes (charlie and miggins) tara, mandy, magda, sonja or babou, :cabot:, and walt

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Groda posted:

Why would you do this?

What exactly do you think I should have done? Now that I've contacted all of the appropriate facilities, I feel pretty drat good about the choices I made.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

Some people are very kind to animals.

There is no place for kindness in the cute thread.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

"Man drives 40,000 miles a year saving dogs from 'kill shelters'"

http://boingboing.net/2014/05/15/man-drives-40000-miles-a-year.html

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You're a good man Chili. I almost went through our local wildlife shelter volunteer training, but they only do it one day out of the year for some gobsmacking reason, and I had a conflict.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's something for everyone in this one

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Vastakaiun posted:

That cat has seen some poo poo.

I thought it was simply a lucky shot, but here's another one of PTSD cat

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well, a little bit :smith: but just a follow up. The little guy didn't make it. I spoke with the man who picked him up and he told me that he passed away in the cage. It's sad, but I tried, and sometimes that's all you can do. I talked with the woman at the animal shelter though, and she's gonna let me know when they have some training courses and I'm gonna swing by and see if I can help out.

Rest in peace, little dude, and know that someone did give a poo poo about you. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Invisble Manuel posted:

I swear the black lab is smiling. :unsmith:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
^^^^Aw, man, I'm sorry. You did your best and the little kit didn't die alone.

cptn_dr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36UNSoJenI
Honey Badgers. The Harry Houdini of the Animal Kingdom.

This is my new favorite animal video. I had no idea badgers were so smart. I mean, you know chimps can solve complex problems in their sleep, and okay, crows/ravens/parrots(?) are smarter than you think and can make tools to solve multi-step problems, ....but that little dude building himself a step ladder out of rolled mud balls is something else.

Also

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Chili posted:

Well, a little bit :smith: but just a follow up. The little guy didn't make it. I spoke with the man who picked him up and he told me that he passed away in the cage. It's sad, but I tried, and sometimes that's all you can do. I talked with the woman at the animal shelter though, and she's gonna let me know when they have some training courses and I'm gonna swing by and see if I can help out.

Rest in peace, little dude, and know that someone did give a poo poo about you. :unsmith:
That sucks but at least you did something to help the poor guy. I volunteer at an wild animal rehab centre and it's pretty common for them to pass away shortly after being rescued.

It's great that you're planning on volunteering though. I make food for the animals (I'm currently too busy to do animal care because the shifts are 4 hours long) and it is so much fun.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Invisble Manuel posted:

Yeesh. Working at a "high volume kill shelter" has got to be dispiriting job.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

That sucks but at least you did something to help the poor guy. I volunteer at an wild animal rehab centre and it's pretty common for them to pass away shortly after being rescued.

It's great that you're planning on volunteering though. I make food for the animals (I'm currently too busy to do animal care because the shifts are 4 hours long) and it is so much fun.

Yeah. I'm going to be making a donation to the shelter in memory of the little guy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I'd like to think that after he took off the mask R2 recognized his old friend :3:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Chili posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:
It sucks losing something you tried to save, but your story and this thread have encouraged me to keep trying anyway. At least these critters passed in peace and relative comfort, that's gotta count for something.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
My dog rescued a bird once. She came strolling up to the house with something in her mouth. I asked her what she had, and she handed me a baby bird that she had evidently found somewhere in the backyard. There wasn't a scratch on it - she had been carrying it very delicately. It wasn't even close to fledging. I looked for the nest, but couldn't find it. The whole time, she was following me and hopping up just a bit to check on the bird in my hands.

We took it to a rescue, where they said it was in good shape and should be all right. I wonder if she associated the bird with my parakeets and figured I should be fixing the problem?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

3 posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:
It sucks losing something you tried to save, but your story and this thread have encouraged me to keep trying anyway. At least these critters passed in peace and relative comfort, that's gotta count for something.

I feel your pain my friend. Never gonna stop trying! I still drive around with milkbones in my car in case I should happen upon a wandering pooch. NOT CRAZY

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chili posted:

I feel your pain my friend. Never gonna stop trying! I still drive around with milkbones in my car in case I should happen upon a wandering pooch. NOT CRAZY

I always carry soft jellies because horses really love them and there is nothing funnier and more cheering than seeing a horse who has never eaten a jelly before trying to look down its own nose at the amaaaaazing flavours happening in its mouth right about now.

The secondary effect is that if you walk the same way afterwards, horses who have previously eaten jellies will come running to get more sweeties :3:

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Bonster posted:

My dog rescued a bird once. She came strolling up to the house with something in her mouth. I asked her what she had, and she handed me a baby bird that she had evidently found somewhere in the backyard. There wasn't a scratch on it - she had been carrying it very delicately. It wasn't even close to fledging. I looked for the nest, but couldn't find it. The whole time, she was following me and hopping up just a bit to check on the bird in my hands.

We took it to a rescue, where they said it was in good shape and should be all right. I wonder if she associated the bird with my parakeets and figured I should be fixing the problem?

Holy poo poo what a good dog :kimchi: That's one of the sweetest things I've ever seen in this thread.

sid2k1
Mar 5, 2007

Jake...he's a good boy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sid2k1 posted:

Jake...he's a good boy.

Dem eyebrows!

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
My baby girl after eye surgery, in the cone of shame.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wanted to share an old picture, I saw these 3 being born, I was the first thing they ever saw as well, to say I'm attached to them to put it lightly. All of them may not be with me today but I'm so happy I had them.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AHHHHHHHHHHH BOX OF MALAMUTE PUPPIES AHHHHHHh

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Pookah posted:

I always carry soft jellies because horses really love them and there is nothing funnier and more cheering than seeing a horse who has never eaten a jelly before trying to look down its own nose at the amaaaaazing flavours happening in its mouth right about now.

The secondary effect is that if you walk the same way afterwards, horses who have previously eaten jellies will come running to get more sweeties :3:

Oh my god, you just changed my life and the lives of Ix the horse and Zaphod the even bigger horse (he only has one head, promise)! I'm taking care of the horses at my Grandfather's ranch, and as soon as I saw this post I grabbed a handful of jelly beans out of the cabinet and literally sprinted to the stables. I have never, in my life, seen happier horses. You're spot on about them trying to look through their own face in wonder and glee! Ix started dancing and bopping me on the head for more and Zaphod tried to eat my pockets just in case I was hiding some. Funny thing was, they both tried their damnedest to spit out the popcorn flavored ones. Guess there's not enough sugar in them to put up with that foul flavor.

I have no idea why I'd never thought of giving the horses actual candy. I blame my extremely practical Grandfather and his belief that horses are just tools. I always took them treats, but now I'm gonna be The Favorite every time I go to the barn. :3: I have to get pictures of them having some candy goodness tomorrow, especially Ix. He's 18, so seeing him turn into a tiny prancing goofball is a rare treat.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

fizzymercy posted:

Oh my god, you just changed my life and the lives of Ix the horse and Zaphod the even bigger horse (he only has one head, promise)! I'm taking care of the horses at my Grandfather's ranch, and as soon as I saw this post I grabbed a handful of jelly beans out of the cabinet and literally sprinted to the stables. I have never, in my life, seen happier horses. You're spot on about them trying to look through their own face in wonder and glee! Ix started dancing and bopping me on the head for more and Zaphod tried to eat my pockets just in case I was hiding some. Funny thing was, they both tried their damnedest to spit out the popcorn flavored ones. Guess there's not enough sugar in them to put up with that foul flavor.

I have no idea why I'd never thought of giving the horses actual candy. I blame my extremely practical Grandfather and his belief that horses are just tools. I always took them treats, but now I'm gonna be The Favorite every time I go to the barn. :3: I have to get pictures of them having some candy goodness tomorrow, especially Ix. He's 18, so seeing him turn into a tiny prancing goofball is a rare treat.

Dude please take video of this. I must see it.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Jane Goodall (she's the one in khaki)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

fizzymercy posted:

YAAAAAAAAY!! Happy Horsies!!! :kimchi:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Bonster posted:

You know what we are all thinking.

Such a good boy! :kimchi:

Same goes for the rest of y'all dogs.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I'm sure readers of the last thread remember Nicholas Winton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFuJAF5F0

Well, yesterday was his 105th birthday! And what better way to celebrate than to be awarded the highest honour in the Czech Republic.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/20/nicholas-winton-birthday-man-saved-children-nazis
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/21/nicholas-winton-british-schindler-czechs

quote:

At the reception in the Czech embassy Winton said: "I am always surprised every time I come here to see all kinds of people who have come really very great distances to say hello. As far as I am concerned, it is only anno Domini that I am fighting – I am not ill, I am just old and doddery. And I am more doddery than old."

:3:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Baby rays (or maybe skates?) are kind of cute in a "ravioli with a face" sort of way:

Also, when they're in their egg case, they look like they're trapped in the phantom zone:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

DrBouvenstein posted:

Baby rays (or maybe skates?) are kind of cute in a "ravioli with a face" sort of way:

Also, when they're in their egg case, they look like they're trapped in the phantom zone:

All I could think of when I read your post:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

particle409 posted:

Jane Goodall (she's the one in khaki)

I remember reading about Ms. Goodall in the National Geographic magazines my parents got in the early 90s, when she was still doing her work in the field. She and the chimpanzees fascinated me, and she helped inspire my thirst for knowledge about mammals. I love her.

quote:

As a child, she was given a lifelike chimpanzee toy named Jubilee by her father; her fondness for the toy started her early love of animals. Today, the toy still sits on her dresser in London.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

This puppy may never escape his laminate grave!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

So the Abyss was a documentary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

• Locked thread