Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

please change thread title to Survivor: Cagayan - I Can Do Bad Idols All By Myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
The crows needs to be hanged for thinking Tyler Perry idol was good idea at all.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"No, other people should just look for the lazily hidden idols. There's definitely no way that we can hide them any better than one clue away, By A Distinctive Geographical Landmark, possibly shallowly buried. Also the idol everyone hated was actually good" - Survivor expert Jeff Probst

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well prolific just means "makes a lot of" which Perry certainly does

Dude has like ten movies a year

Oh I understand, but he said it as though it were a commendable thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Losing the pennant in April should feel like home to him by now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

You beat me to the joke

The final tribal council would definitely be improved by the dinger machine springing up every week

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy Hair Club, Batman

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Nice to see LJ could invest his prize money into some hair plugs

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can't believe that gently caress-up David got a question and Brice got nothing. Actually, I'm fine with David getting a question but I did like when everyone got something.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Survivor 29: Tyler Perry characters vs the cast of Community.

...and Russell Hantz.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uhh no please not more blood vs water

Also was there no fan favorite prize this year

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yessssss

Cancer has a Tyler Perry idol

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Fast Luck posted:

I can't believe that gently caress-up David got a question and Brice got nothing. Actually, I'm fine with David getting a question but I did like when everyone got something.

I think Jeff misses his talk show and thinks the Survivor reunion's function is primarily to Tell Interesting Stories even if that means people get squeezed out in favor of non-players, even though the only human beings who care enough to watch this are probably pretty interested in the people who actually played the game. In his AMA, he mentioned how "people" tell him they don't care about hearing from the early boots. Based on the response to the FVF2 pre-merge boots getting kept off the stage, I find it hard to believe that's true.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm ok with BvW2.

Bring on the Big Brother!!! The summer is here!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BvW is OK, if I had to watch 10 seasons I'd prefer 10 regular Survivor seasons, but I wouldn't mind seeing one all newbies BvW.

Nicaragua once again, heh.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
"Help raise money to vote cancer off..."

Oh, Jeff.

Huh, so Survivor is quoting endorsements from little-known websites now?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I'm cool with an newbie BvW - but it does seem a little overkill to do it twice in three seasons. They could have waited a couple more before doing it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Fourteen minutes to Survivor Know-It-Alls on robhasawebsite.com for anyone who isn't quite ready to put a cap on the season just yet.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is somewhat off topic for finale night, but does someone have a link to an interview where Jeff mentions that they once had someone too stupid to play the game of survivor on? I know he's mentioned that it was someone in One World, but I'd like a source.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Fourteen minutes to Survivor Know-It-Alls on robhasawebsite.com for anyone who isn't quite ready to put a cap on the season just yet.

Thanks. I never listen to his podcast but I might tonight

edit: or not; website is down.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 22, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Boxman posted:

This is somewhat off topic for finale night, but does someone have a link to an interview where Jeff mentions that they once had someone too stupid to play the game of survivor on? I know he's mentioned that it was someone in One World, but I'd like a source.

He said it during his RHAP interview around when Borderlands 2 first came out. He was talking about how they'll always cast players with very high IQs but they've learned to avoid players with very low ones. Talked about a couple players having a hard time understanding the very basics of the game.

Edit: robhasawebsite.com is up for me? You can always go to YouTube and find his channel there too. That's how they broadcast the show. Five minutes till it starts.

Edit2: the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6op1DPdTQYo

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 22, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BGrifter posted:

He said it during his RHAP interview around when Borderlands 2 first came out. He was talking about how they'll always cast players with very high IQs but they've learned to avoid players with very low ones. Talked about a couple players having a hard time understanding the very basics of the game.

Edit: robhasawebsite.com is up for me? You can always go to YouTube and find his channel there too. That's how they broadcast the show. Five minutes till it starts.

Edit2: the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6op1DPdTQYo

It fixed. Thanks.

Also I love how you use videogames as a time reference. Very fitting with your Spencer fandom haha

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 22, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

blue squares posted:

It fixed. Thanks.

Also I love how you use videogames as a time reference. Very fitting with your Spencer fandom haha

Listening to that RHAP while farming BL2 legendaries was a lot of fun. :3:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Bring on the Big Brother!!! The summer is here!
Mah nigga :):respek::)

Seriously, you Survivor superfans should give Big Brother a whirl if you never have.
Yes, it is cheesy as Hell, horribly produced, with a robot as a host and it is a poor man's Survivor.
But the show does occasionally have flashes of brilliance in people's gameplay that can rival a deep Survivor run.

That is if it's casted correctly.
Last year was by no means a good yard stick as they put in a house full of loathsome people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Robnoxious posted:

Last year was by no means a good yard stick as they put in a house full of loathsome people.

Part of why I buy all the all stars rumours is how loathesome last year's cast was. By casting all stars they know they're bringing back people who are safe and "get it".

Looking forward to a summer of obsessive feed watching. Gotta finish my online classes so I only have work to interfere with feeds time.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Robnoxious posted:

Mah nigga :):respek::)

Seriously, you Survivor superfans should give Big Brother a whirl if you never have.
Yes, it is cheesy as Hell, horribly produced, with a robot as a host and it is a poor man's Survivor.
But the show does occasionally have flashes of brilliance in people's gameplay that can rival a deep Survivor run.

I (and others I'm sure) would very much appreciate a quick list of seasons that were good that we should watch. No need to spoil entire seasons and who wins or anything (*cough Survivor newbie guide *cough), or even why particular seasons are good. Just suggest some good ones and we'll be set.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shakugan posted:

I (and others I'm sure) would very much appreciate a quick list of seasons that were good that we should watch. No need to spoil entire seasons and who wins or anything (*cough Survivor newbie guide *cough), or even why particular seasons are good. Just suggest some good ones and we'll be set.

Start with Big Brother 10. It's a slow start but incredibly satisfying to watch.

From there maybe Big Brother 12 featuring Hayden from Survivor Blood vs Water. Big Brother 2 is a little dated but a true classic. Similar to Survivor you probably want to watch a couple seasons first, but Big Brother 7 All Stars is one of the greatest seasons of all time. Big Brother 2, 3 and 6 would be a pretty good primer for All Stars.

Avoid Big Brother 9 and 15 like the plague. Big Brother 1 was a completely different show, fan voting decided evictions. It's even further from the actual show than Survivor Borneo was.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Shakugan posted:

My top would be Season 10, 7, 12, 15, 8

Never watch 13, it will give you cancer

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kloaked00 posted:

My top would be Season 10, 7, 12, 15, 8

Never watch 13, it will give you cancer

13 had the greatest winner of all time. :swoon:

You liked BB15? Last season was one of the worst ever. :stare:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

BGrifter posted:

13 had the greatest winner of all time. :swoon:

You liked BB15? Last season was one of the worst ever. :stare:

Yeah, not because it was a well played season, or had the best players, but it was entertaining as hell going through it live

Probably would not stand up well on rewatch

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Shakugan posted:

The suggestions given above have value and merit and I agree with them. It's difficult to gauge one season versus the next since that is very suggestive and open to wildly different personal interpretations.

I didn't like first the Big Brother All-Stars (Season 7) but it really does embody the game as a whole and it plays out fantastic. I've always been the biggest critic to returnees. That's just me, but there's no denying the casting formula works does work. I just think it's overused to where it becomes a goto crutch. **off soapbox**

I personally liked the cast from BB12 and BB6 the most so in turn really enjoyed BB15 where some people returned in a pseudo All-Stars format with a bent slant (Think HvV Survivor with a 4 team element and Immunity Power).

BB10 is must watch to see how to properly put a clinic on the format. The cast wasn't necessarily the best but the winner really showed how to plow through the format with cunning and ingenuity. I really liked some of the cast but most unfortunately got bounced too soon.

Brian :(

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 22, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've never watched a season of Survivor or Big Brother outside of initial airings, but I imagine that Survivor holds up well if you can avoid spoilers. Big Brother... fun as a summer diversion but anything beyond that and I'd suggest staying far, far away.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've never watched a season of Survivor or Big Brother outside of initial airings, but I imagine that Survivor holds up well if you can avoid spoilers. Big Brother... fun as a summer diversion but anything beyond that and I'd suggest staying far, far away.
This is true.
The live feed element really puts a "you had to be there" immediacy to it.

Those of us ranking seasons have seen the live feeds that really dictate why we rank the way we do because there are far more layers beyond what makes it to the broadcast shows.

So disregard what I just said... Big Brother will never catch fire and anyone who watches it is evil and dumb. :D

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
In some ways Big Brother is a better game than Survivor. Plays out over a longer period of time generally rewarding consistency over streaky gameplay. It all takes place live with video feeds in the house viewable on the internet, so we usually have a pretty good idea of what's happening in the house vs the edited version that gets put on TV.

The flipside is we also see it unfolding warts and all. When the producers meddle or make bad choices, it's glaringly obvious. Survivor gets to clean up a lot of stuff in post production that Big Brother just has to own. When the golden boy on the TV episodes makes homophobic comments implying that it was sick to allow Dumbledore around children in the Harry Potter books because he's gay, it circulates on the internet. They can still ignore it on the TV episodes, but Survivor has the benefit of that footage never being seen.

Back to Survivor for a moment, on RHAP they discussed whether Woo deciding to take Tony is the worst move in the history of Survivor. While Erik's necklace giveaway or JT's love letter were terrible, neither decision cost them a guarenteed million. Woo wins if he takes Kass.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Back to Survivor for a moment, on RHAP they discussed whether Woo deciding to take Tony is the worst move in the history of Survivor. While Erik's necklace giveaway or JT's love letter were terrible, neither decision cost them a guarenteed million. Woo wins if he takes Kass.
We should really lay off the Big Brother talk and let the West Coast get to their proper ending and then start up again.

But yes, Woo made a million dollar blunder but his value of honor and code ethics was obviously much stronger than Tony's. That should have netted him more than 1 vote but we don't live in a perfect world. I guess everyone saw Woo as a tagalong (which he very much was). Kass was so polarizing it's hard to fathom that Woo couldn't clue into that.

But then I guess it circles the wagons back to the honor and code horseshit.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

BGrifter posted:

Woo wins if he takes Kass.

I'm still not entirely convinced it's a clear cut as this. Kass pissed off a lot of them, but I think she may have had a chance with the jury since she would have ended up making it to the end, even after backstabbing her alliance several times. She's so deluded though the questioning would probably have been a complete disaster.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
What a weird season. The winner played a fairly bad game and bombed at the final tribal, yet his win was still satisfying.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Teek posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced it's a clear cut as this. Kass pissed off a lot of them, but I think she may have had a chance with the jury since she would have ended up making it to the end, even after backstabbing her alliance several times. She's so deluded though the questioning would probably have been a complete disaster.

I suppose it's possible the jury wasn't being entirely truthful when asked the whole "if it was Woo and Kass who would you vote for" at the finale, but it seems quite likely they were telling the truth. The hatred for Kass was so much more intense in the exit interviews than we saw on the show. I think they actually gave Kass a bit of a generous edit believe it or not.

Even if you back off a little and simply say "Woo would be an overwhelming favourite to win", Erik still had to win his way from final five to final two in a pretty hostile environment. JT wasn't even close to the end when he made his blunder. It's possible both would have made it to the end, but even then had Erik won his way to final two I don't think he's that much more of a lock than Woo vs Kass.

I need another week or so to kick it around, but at first glance calling Woo's decision the worst play in Survivor history seems solid.

Are you making the Big Brother thread for this summer btw?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Part of me thinks Survivor is just a flawed game. It's basically who is the most convincing liar in order to buy the most time. There's a few exceptions, but if find myself being disappointed with the winner. And Spencer vocalized it the best and won it for him. I was a Spencer fan until that point. I wonder if Woo would have answered the question as to why he brought Tony instead Kass that "I didn't want to bring a lawyer, someone who makes a living in front of juries, here", if that would have bought him a few votes.

Spencer's fatal flaw is his hubris. Kass was pure ego. Woo's was being naive. Sarah scares me. Trish is too gullible. LJ was kind of 'eh'. Jeremiah was dull. I am missing someone but I don't know who.

Morgan, while having a spectacular rack, needs to be pushed in front of a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Robnoxious posted:

This is true.
The live feed element really puts a "you had to be there" immediacy to it.

Those of us ranking seasons have seen the live feeds that really dictate why we rank the way we do because there are far more layers beyond what makes it to the broadcast shows.

So disregard what I just said... Big Brother will never catch fire and anyone who watches it is evil and dumb. :D

I would love to have seen whatever was said that prompted CBS into putting the "Sorry about the racist bigots" disclaimer before thee broadcast.

• Locked thread