Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Void certainly has some hosed up Cenobite poo poo going on, but really his main physical feature makes me think of just one thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

notZaar posted:

Void certainly has some hosed up Cenobite poo poo going on, but really his main physical feature makes me think of just one thing:

My first thought too honestly

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

This is the 8th image that shows up when you GIS for 'berserk void'.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Just got to the Fantasia chapter. My jaw is on the floor. Next chapter the Elf Island arc starts. Super stoked. This manga keeps getting better and better.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

mechacop posted:

Just got to the Fantasia chapter. My jaw is on the floor. Next chapter the Elf Island arc starts. Super stoked. This manga keeps getting better and better.

Just wait until they reach the island!
And wait
And wait

I have a terrible feeling at some point we'll get to see the island from affair and then some giant enemy is going to wreck the ship and they will wash up really far back.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

freelop posted:

Just wait until they reach the island!
And wait
And wait

I have a terrible feeling at some point we'll get to see the island from affair and then some giant enemy is going to wreck the ship and they will wash up really far back.

Oh, I'm in the ongoing arc now then?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

mechacop posted:

The trip to elf island is the current arc along with some junk happening with Griff and Midgard.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

mechacop posted:

'Trip to Elf Island' has been an ongoing arc for, let me see... Approximately, forever.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

mechacop posted:

The thread tried to warn you...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Has it been 10 years yet? It sure seems like 10 years.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
No kidding, I stopped reading about 15 chapters ago, and decided to catch up...:lol: I guess I know how the people that read ASOIAF feel?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It never ceases to amuse me that one of the God Hand was named Conrad. You have Void, Slan, Ubik, Femto, and then some guy named Conrad to fill in that 4th seat.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Brought To You By posted:

It never ceases to amuse me that one of the God Hand was named Conrad. You have Void, Slan, Ubik, Femto, and then some guy named Conrad to fill in that 4th seat.
It's like Brazilian footballers being called Fred or Bernard.

I need to slow down, too. I'm on ch 140 or something. Maybe if I only read one chapter every month or so it'll be finished before I can catch up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not a bloody chance. You'll just end up waiting like the rest of us.

ONE of us, one of us.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't Conrad the one that showed Griffith the illusion that lead to him making the decision to sacrifice the Band of the Hawk? Or was that Ubik?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

This is the 8th image that shows up when you GIS for 'berserk void'.

Huh, I thought there was only one female member of God Hand (the God Hand?).

They're all a bit silly if you read science fiction, except Femto. Slan goes double though because the original's a book about Clark Kent growing up to be Superman (and nickname for sf fan), and then there's... this other Slan.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Conrad seems to me like it's a nod to Joseph Conrad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The wikia claims that the name Conrad is taken from ...And Call me Conrad.

Doesn't give a source though.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Conrad the one that showed Griffith the illusion that lead to him making the decision to sacrifice the Band of the Hawk? Or was that Ubik?

It was definitely a disguised Ubik in the movies. In the anime they all chipped in IIRC.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cake Attack posted:

The wikia claims that the name Conrad is taken from ...And Call me Conrad.

Doesn't give a source though.

Eh, it makes sense since the Slan and Ubik are named after sci-fi books from the same era.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zorak posted:

All of the Godhand embody certain sins or essences of negative emotion. The desire for some essence of the human condition taken to an inhuman extreme, casting off all that once cared about. Griffith is ambition embodied. For the sake of his ambition he sacrificed everyone he knew and cared about. He is still Femto, just Femto incarnated and capable of "playing" in the mortal realm.

That's a pretty cool interpretation! It makes Godhand a lot like the seven deadly sins. Though now I'm wondering exactly who is embodying what, aside from Slan (Hot batwing women seen down a tunnel of tits - I'm guessing sex.)

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 19, 2014

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's a pretty cool interpretation! It makes Godhand a lot like the seven deadly sins. Though now I'm wondering exactly who is embodying what, aside from Slan (Hot batwing women seen down a tunnel of tits - guessing sex.)

Conrad seems to be famine/pestilence, Ubik is deceit, Slan is temptaion/lust, Void is faith and Femto is ambition.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Azzents posted:

Conrad seems to be famine/pestilence, Ubik is deceit, Slan is temptaion/lust, Void is faith and Femto is ambition.

You could be right on all counts, but Famine isn't a human trait. Greed, maybe? I kind of assumed desire for knowledge/curiosity would be one of 'em.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

You could be right on all counts, but Famine isn't a human trait. Greed, maybe? I kind of assumed desire for knowledge/curiosity would be one of 'em.

Conrad's only really appearances have been with the other God Hands in their little pocket realities and when he materializes from a bunch of plagued rats so that's all I really have to go on. Void, on the other hand, could easily represent knowledge and curiosity.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
A bit late, but thanks for the replies. From the start it is and I'll probably end up doing the same to refresh myself, because I honestly can't remember much anymore about the beginning.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
All of the sci-fi references the God Hand form are great, especially Ubik if you've read it. It's a really strange but fascinating novel I recommend checking out. Don't read about it, just read it. It's pretty short.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 21, 2014

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I've been meaning to read the ~god hand books~ for years now but never gotten around to it. I'll see about Ubik though, if it comes recommended. Fake edit: it's on kindle, good.

In other news, and in the interest of letting the thread down gently, we're getting a new chapter this week! And the next one is slated for publication... "this summer". :geno:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

LordMune posted:

I've been meaning to read the ~god hand books~ for years now but never gotten around to it. I'll see about Ubik though, if it comes recommended. Fake edit: it's on kindle, good.

In other news, and in the interest of letting the thread down gently, we're getting a new chapter this week! And the next one is slated for publication... "this summer". :geno:

Summer starts in a month :ohdear:

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Wait, what are God Hand books? Side novels that elaborate on the God Hand, or?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ubik is a relatively short Philip K Dick story, I don't know about the rest.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mechacop posted:

they rap about the craft of love. so much better than a novice could. h.p. lovecraft is all over the kindle, so please check it out before the cost of repair exceeds the resale value of your shattered psyche after reading such mindaltering fiction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, apparently Miura did a one-shot with Buronson way back when. It is not very good! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Japan

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mechacop posted:

Slan, Ubik and Conrad are named after old sci-fi books. That's all.

Incidentally, Slan heavily inspired the manga To Terra, which is also very good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, apparently Miura did a one-shot with Buronson way back when. It is not very good! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Japan

That was certainly one of the most openly nationalistic things I've read in a while.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Japan was also published by Dark Horse some years back. I happened upon it a long time ago and bought it. Very nationalistic, yes, but also quite silly. Something like those cheesy 80s action movies where Schwarzenegger or Stallone or whoever just mows down a bunch of foreigners commies.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I kept thinking they were going to go back to where they came from but nope they are just stuck there.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why have they imprisoned Conchita Wurst?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
"Japan" works even better if you read it as the origin of Skull Knight

Seriously though, it was a fun read, even if the overall message was "gently caress YEAH JAPAN!"

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
I've never played any of the Japan=exclusive Berserk games, but I've been thinking a lot lately about what a proper Berserk game would be, and what it would take to replicate the feeling of being Guts.

I feel like the game should make you feel unstoppable, and your main fear being yourself. Maybe some sort of BERSERK METER that can't get too high?

As for game feel and tone, I feel like Dark Souls is really the closest contender, and I've heard the official Berserk games are not half bad. What do you guys think would make a good Berserk game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mechacop posted:

I've never played any of the Japan=exclusive Berserk games, but I've been thinking a lot lately about what a proper Berserk game would be, and what it would take to replicate the feeling of being Guts.

I feel like the game should make you feel unstoppable, and your main fear being yourself. Maybe some sort of BERSERK METER that can't get too high?

As for game feel and tone, I feel like Dark Souls is really the closest contender, and I've heard the official Berserk games are not half bad. What do you guys think would make a good Berserk game?

omg, cel shading! and the thing they did in that okami game with the sumi-e look, except with crosshatching instead! and like a cool limit break feature for killing like over 5000 monsters.