Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
As a single dude, I buy most of my stuff from Wegmans or the local farmers market.

Wegmans beats the local butcher shop on prices, although I give the butcher my business for large orders or special occasions when I want the very very best quality.

The farmers market is pretty awesome for veggies and fruits, but their meats are the same or more expensive than the butcher (and nothing accepts CC/debit, you have to buy these stupid tokens and then pay for your food with them if you don't carry cash.)

In other news, I was all excited to make a big pot of gumbo, only to realize that I can't for the life of me find whole, head-on shrimp. Wegmans says they sometimes get them later in the summer from their wild caught suppliers, but for now it's headless or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had a boiled egg for breakfast this morning, and put celery salt on it. It was amazing. I don't know why I'd never tried it before.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Celery salt is also delicious on chips.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I put celery salt in my pizza dough.

e: I don't even like celery.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

Hahaha, you Americans and your dietary supplements. Why do so many of you buy poo poo you don't need?

Buying poo poo you don't need is the basis of American culture. Not everyone's from a Communist country, comrade.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjurygg posted:

Celery salt is also delicious on chips.

It's like a whole world of celery salting is opening up to me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

Buying poo poo you don't need is the basis of American culture. Not everyone's from a Communist country, comrade.

I don't really mind buying stuff you don't need in general, it's just the American attitude to supplementing your diet I find odd. We are generally considered completely barbaric because we don't give our son a vitamin supplement.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Vitamin supplements are stupid though. Explain to those people how stupid they are. Lysine supplements are a legit thing though, my wife takes it to lessen cold sores as well(on dermatologist recommendation!).

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
A lot of supplementation is bullshit, but taking a prenatal multi and fish oil every day has made my hair and nails fuckin awesome so I'm just gonna keep that up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Guys. I'm lactarded :( Finally decided to buy some lactaid pills, cuz I'm sick of peeing out my butt for 24 hours after eating a milkshake.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Lysine supplements are a legit thing though, my wife takes it to lessen cold sores as well(on dermatologist recommendation!).

Got any peer-reviewed data to back that up? Because I can't find anything on Pubmed about lysine supplementation helping the immune system.

It's not something I've ever heard of before, either, and my wife suffers cold-sores occasionally. If it were legit, you'd have thought it would have crossed the pond by now.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Got any peer-reviewed data to back that up? Because I can't find anything on Pubmed about lysine supplementation helping the immune system.

It's not something I've ever heard of before, either, and my wife suffers cold-sores occasionally. If it were legit, you'd have thought it would have crossed the pond by now.

This is just what I found from googling http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406943_5

Maybe the dermatologist was using old info, but she's seen a difference in the past 2 years.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Scientastic posted:

Hot dogs. Trust me.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Casu Marzu posted:

Guys. I'm lactarded :( Finally decided to buy some lactaid pills, cuz I'm sick of peeing out my butt for 24 hours after eating a milkshake.

Why not have a lactose free milkshake instead? Maybe there's a homeopathic gluten free lactose free .. no...wait...that's called water. never mind.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you like putting celery salt on stuff, you should try Old Bay seasoning, it's like 50% celery salt.

bartolimu posted:

But anyhow this is what I came here to post: "gluten intolerance" (distinct from Celiac's, which is a real and terrible thing) is the gastronomic equivalent of vaccination autism. Here is a reasonably well-written article explaining the research (done by the same guy who initially found evidence of gluten intolerance) and here is a summary of the paper. More likely culprits are shorter chain carbohydrates that don't absorb well. It's sort of like autobrewing syndrome, but instead of producing delicious alcohol your gut fauna produce cramps and bloating. Dietary changes may make a difference (and it's likely to be at least partly psychological), but gluten isn't the cause of the problem.

This is fascinating, thank you!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This girl I went on a 10 hour first date with last week came out to hang out with me and my friends on Saturday night, listening to some surprisingly excellent live music. One thing led to another and next thing I know, after popping into a bar for some last-minute karaoke, we're getting the breakfast buffet at a strip club at 3am. The food was surprisingly not terrible! After that, we went back to my apartment with my good buddy and his wife who proceeded to gently caress in my bathroom (?) before we all enjoyed a drink.

A good night.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you like putting celery salt on stuff, you should try Old Bay seasoning, it's like 50% celery salt.

Old Bay is good stuff.

The Midniter posted:

This girl I went on a 10 hour first date with last week came out to hang out with me and my friends on Saturday night, listening to some surprisingly excellent live music. One thing led to another and next thing I know, after popping into a bar for some last-minute karaoke, we're getting the breakfast buffet at a strip club at 3am. The food was surprisingly not terrible! After that, we went back to my apartment with my good buddy and his wife who proceeded to gently caress in my bathroom (?) before we all enjoyed a drink.

A good night.

Wait is the question mark for the lewd behavior or for the bathroom?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

I don't really mind buying stuff you don't need in general, it's just the American attitude to supplementing your diet I find odd. We are generally considered completely barbaric because we don't give our son a vitamin supplement.
It's the same thing here. Where I come from, you take a supplement when you're ill, because your body is literally not producing it. That is, if you go to the doctor, and he tells you that you're not making vitamin D, you take the vitamin D supplement and then get retested to see if it worked. If you're not showing signs of disease, you leave poo poo alone, because clearly something's working OK. It's medicine. You take it when you're sick, or when you know for a fact that it's going to do a thing that you need your body to do (but your body isn't doing).

I'm sure you've also noticed that there are these health fads that crop up from time to time. I'm not sure if that's a USA only thing, or a wealthy country thing, but people seem to go through cycles where _____ is the culprit for all the world's woes. And then ____ is the cure-all for all the things, and why aren't you going out and eating it RIGHT NOW!? I was on the phone with my mother, who said that Dr. Oz said to stop eating kale. I asked her to clarify, and she said that Dr. Oz said that kale could cause kidney failure.

http://www.drozfans.com/dr-oz-food/dr-oz-hypothyroidism-kale-kale-cause-kidney-stones/

You read the article, and that's not what it says at all. However, on a soundbite on TV, from a guy who's got the word "Dr" in front of his name, and click-bait like "THE DARK SIDE OF KALE", and you've got a recipe for complete misunderstanding of what the hell is going on. Meanwhile, every time a new health superstar comes onto the scene, you have people going crazy for it, and overdoing it. Who the gently caress asked all these people to juice the kale? Kale is lovely! If you were to, oh I don't know (call me nuts) COOK the kale, and eat it like food, you'd be fine. But no. It's too hard.

Much as I dislike the fucker, Pollan has the right of it: eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

With the caveat of: unless you have a medically recognised deficiency in a thing. Then do what the doctor says.

@Costco chat: When I was a kid, my mum was fairly careful about our money. My dad was making about $1,200/month, in Miami, with a family of 6 to support (my two parents, two older brothers, me, and younger sister). There were things that we did without. For cleaning supplies, there was the giant bottle of bleach. For cleaning clothes, you took off whatever you wore to school/work that day, and it went directly into a bucket of water, with a few drops of dish soap in it. It'd soak overnight, and you'd wring it out in the morning to sun-dry. Butter, cheese, milk, and eggs were severely restricted, because they were gently caress-off expensive, even at the prices my mum paid for them. A gallon of milk was $1, when she'd find it on sale. And she'd only buy it on sale.

She'd wait for eggs to come to like $0.50 a dozen, or just avoid them. Cheese was always that godsawful Kraft singles, because we didn't know any better, and thought that it was the "fancy" cheese. She'd wait for that to come on buy one get one free, and buy a huge amount at once. Bread she'd get when it was a day old, and they marked it down to like $0.50 for a loaf. She'd buy a bunch, and freeze it. Mostly though, the staples were rice and vegetables. Spices she'd buy at the Indian store, in bulk, during the Diwali sales. Generally, that's the time of year that the stores are clearing out their inventory, so that they can start their books clean at the end of the season. Vegetables were bought at the flea market, where the farmers would come with their huge stacks of produce to sell. She'd wait to go until Sunday late afternoon, when the shops were all closing up. She'd bargain the veggies down to pennies on the pound, and take it home. Then, the family would cut out the bad parts, and cook up whatever we could.

Fresh veg that came on sale in the local supermarkets would happen whenever they'd come on sale in the local markets. Whenever we had to make a long trip out to Broward County to go to the temple or whatever, she'd time it so that the long drive had multiple stores she needed to hit up to get specific things she couldn't get locally. Why? If she was going to be spending on the petrol anyway, might as well get a few things done at the same time.

I tell you all this to tell you this: although it's different specific circumstances, she was in a similar place to Wiggles. Costco was utterly useless for her, because she didn't drink, didn't use medications, was not buying new clothing (everything came from either thrift stores, garage sales, or friends whose kids grew out their clothes), and was horrified at paying someone to be allowed to shop in their store. We went with a friend of my parents one day. Went aisle to aisle. She found a couple of things that interested her. String cheese (ugh, I know) was cheap, so she picked up a thing of it. Milk was comparable to when she found it on sale (milk came on sale in various drug stores, grocery stores, and convenience stores once a week), so she got a couple of gallons. She didn't buy junk food unless it came on extreeeeeme markdown, so we passed by the aisles of candy and other junky things.

The cost of rice was what we were used to paying at the Mexican grocer's, when they'd offer a deal (spend $___, get 20 lb bag of rice for $____). That same sort of deal existed in all the latino groceries up in Manhattan, so I'm glad that I was acquainted with it already. We didn't use paper towels and the like, except for emergencies when it was like grease or something that doesn't come off with a wash cloth (which she made using clothes that were too crappy to sew back together). She'd wait for that to come on a really low sale, and use a coupon to drop down the price further.

The reason I compare it to Wiggles is that the time she spent on gathering the groceries, cooking it, and all the rest can be sort of compared to how Wiggles just grows his own stuff, rather than go out and spend money on it. It makes it a lot easier to do when you're either careful with money, or growing your own stuff.

There IS a time when it is worth it though. Apparently if you pay like $110 a year, you get cash back on your credit card every time you fill your car at the pump. If you're spending about $200 a month in petrol, you're at nearly $2,400 a year, you're getting back like $72 cash back on their credit card. My friend's mum drives a HUUUUUGE van everywhere, because she regularly has to haul things back and forth for work. Unfortunately, her tank costs about $100 a week to fill. From her car alone, the membership has paid itself off. Add in her daughter's car, her son's car, and her husband's car, and you're talking a few hundred bucks a year paid back. They don't make you use it at the Costco stations either; it works on any petrol station in USA. In those cases, fair enough.

For me though, I get really cheap prices on produce, because I shop the manager's specials. The rice, spices, oil, etc all has to come from whatever store has it cheapest. Unfortunately, I can't always shop around as much as I'd like, because I don't drive, but there are things nearby enough that I can have a nice variety for about $20 a week, give or take.

@Midniter: Whooo! Glad you had a great night. :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wait is the question mark for the lewd behavior or for the bathroom?

A little bit of both, I suppose. Like, go for it, let that freak flag fly, in fact I cheered them on at one point. It was just a kind of a strange impromptu thing since they were going home directly afterward anyway.

Yeah, I guess I'd rather have them sully my bathroom than my own bed.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Casu Marzu posted:

They're a loving lifesaver. I've had 35 years of the running shits every time I caved in and ate the icecream or drank the glass of cold milk that I craved. But no more.

e: Bart, what are those fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols in normal person speak? I've got a few friends who might benefit from a diet change.

And Wiggles - you're opposed to Costco's monstrous business practices that hurt local businesses, but you buy stuff in bulk from Amazon? That makes no sense to me.

Dane fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 19, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I originally heard about it from a chemistry teacher, something about counterbalancing l-arginine. Here's an article from NYU that links a lot of studies, some studies seem to support it's use in treating herpes simplex, others say it had no effect. http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21791 Works very well for me, as well as some other people I've recommended it to.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406943_5
http://www.livescience.com/34715-cold-sores-symptoms-treatments-and-prevention.html

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dane posted:

And Wiggles - you're opposed to Costco's monstrous business practices that hurt local businesses, but you buy stuff in bulk from Amazon? That makes no sense to me.

Only those things I can't buy locally. There's a grocery store in town, but it's part of a big chain based Reno (and owned by some other corporate overlord) so it's not like I'm abandoning small business by not buying toilet paper at their obscenely marked up prices. As a matter of fact, they're the store that put our previous locally owned grocery store out of business when they came in with artificially low prices. Once the old RC Market had gone under, the prices at the big chain supermarket shot right up and they've been there ever since. In the meantime, there are things that I would love to be able to buy locally but are simply not offered - toilet paper, laundry soap, etc. When I make a supply run to Reno, though, I do pick up those things from the employee-owned grocery with the good bulk section.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lithuania trip report even though I'm still here for another two days.

I've never eaten so much pork, or so many potatoes/beets in my life. They put some weird cream sauce on pizza that is strangely tasty, and I'll probably miss when I get back to the states.

There was some festival over this past weekend, so it was two days of walking around the rivers and old town, buying pints of local beer for about 2.40$ USD. Along with sausages and cabbage and all kinds of goodies.

I've had a blast, hope I can convince work that I need to come over again soon.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

"THE DARK SIDE OF KALE"

New thread name please.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I originally heard about it from a chemistry teacher, something about counterbalancing l-arginine. Here's an article from NYU that links a lot of studies, some studies seem to support it's use in treating herpes simplex, others say it had no effect. http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21791 Works very well for me, as well as some other people I've recommended it to.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406943_5
http://www.livescience.com/34715-cold-sores-symptoms-treatments-and-prevention.html

Well shut my mouth. I thought the lysine thing must be complete bollocks, but it turns out there might be something to it. I love being proved wrong.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Years ago, when Rataoulle came out, I was an utter and complete sobbing mass at that one scene where his dad says bluntly, "Is this important to you?" And then the whole family pitches right in. There were a lot of moments in that film where I was emotional to begin with, but that moment kind of turned the film for me. It's almost as pivotal as that moment where Ego tastes the dish, and he's transported back to his childhood, where he had that comforting moment. It's like food is a hug from inside. But even that moment, where I felt like my feelings about food were right there on the screen wasn't as poignant for me as that father-son moment between Remy and his dad. Seriously. I loving lost it.

I've got ... issues with my family (especially my dad). It's never good enough. Nothing I do is ever good enough. It never will be. But at the end of the day, when poo poo's about to go down, they've come through for me.

Sorry to E/N on you all. Just got off the phone with my mum, and am trying to remember those times when my daddy was my hero, and I thought that he could do literally anything. I'd always get confused when he'd fret about being late, because I'd be like "Well, just stop time, daddy, because then you can get there with plenty of time to spare."

Long story short, the song at the ending is absolutely beautiful. Someone on the youtube translated it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3Z3jmDiL0

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 20, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

esperantinc posted:

Lithuania trip report even though I'm still here for another two days.

I've never eaten so much pork, or so many potatoes/beets in my life. They put some weird cream sauce on pizza that is strangely tasty, and I'll probably miss when I get back to the states.

There was some festival over this past weekend, so it was two days of walking around the rivers and old town, buying pints of local beer for about 2.40$ USD. Along with sausages and cabbage and all kinds of goodies.

I've had a blast, hope I can convince work that I need to come over again soon.

:mmmhmm: Glad you're enjoying yourself!

In other news, I'm trying to find a job so I've been looking at a lot of CL job postings. Came across an ad the likes of which I've never seen before.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of sauce, I made a badass asian inspired wing sauce this weekend with magi cooking soy, spicy chili crisp, honey, vinegar, grated onion and garlic. It would have had ginger in it but someone threw out the hand I had in the freezer.

I'd never used the angry lady sauce like that, but it worked out perfectly.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dane posted:

e: Bart, what are those fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols in normal person speak? I've got a few friends who might benefit from a diet change.
I haven't had time to do a lot of research (it's kind of low priority since I seem to tolerate all the carbs), but wikipedia is a surprisingly solid starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Looks like brassica, allium, and stone fruit are some of the broader categories that might contribute. Plus the whole fructose thing.

Scientastic posted:

New thread name please.
Okay sure.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've been tasked with producing crêpes suzette to a pro standard on thursday. I'm not gonna do the flambé, instead just heating the crepes in the sauce, before serving. Anyone else got any handy tips for doing crepes suzette?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

bartolimu posted:

I haven't had time to do a lot of research (it's kind of low priority since I seem to tolerate all the carbs), but wikipedia is a surprisingly solid starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Looks like brassica, allium, and stone fruit are some of the broader categories that might contribute. Plus the whole fructose thing.

Excellent, thanks. An otherwise charming young woman of my acquaintance has a set of bowels that would fit right in with the bean scene in Blazing Saddles, and she's tried a lot of different diets to help the problem, but I don't think this one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've been tasked with producing crêpes suzette to a pro standard on thursday. I'm not gonna do the flambé, instead just heating the crepes in the sauce, before serving. Anyone else got any handy tips for doing crepes suzette?

If you don't flambe them how is it to a pro standard? Set those bitches on fire.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you don't flambe them how is it to a pro standard? Set those bitches on fire.

I'm only submitting it for assessment, it's not actually being served.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For the first time in over half a decade, it had one rained for more than 24 hours straight. It's throwing my irrigation system all off.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Scientastic posted:

The next step in your evolution is to locate and drink a can of Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray. It's celery seed soda, and it is the best thing in the world with a decent sandwich.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

4 wisdom teeth removed, holy poo poo my face hurts.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

PopeCrunch posted:

The next step in your evolution is to locate and drink a can of Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray. It's celery seed soda, and it is the best thing in the world with a decent sandwich.

Preach, brother. An everything bagel pastrami sandwich and a cel-ray? Heaven.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I've been dying to try cel-ray for so long but I can't find it in this god forsaken desert.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Iron Lung posted:

I've been dying to try cel-ray for so long but I can't find it in this god forsaken desert.

Have a Jewish deli near you? That's where I always find it. so good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

4 wisdom teeth removed, holy poo poo my face hurts.

1) Percocets are your friend!
2) AVOID STRAWS AT ALL COSTS. AVOID ANYTHING THAT CREATES ANY SORT OF SUCTION IN YOUR MOUTH. DRY SOCKET SUCKS.
3) Percocets are your friend!

Funny story about wisdom tooth removal...

I was 18. Had four impacted wisdom teeth. I was on my parents' insurance at the time and my mom basically had a Cadillac insurance plan, so not only did I get a Valium drip to calm me down beforehand, but they also gassed me to put me out.

I guess they didn't give me enough, because halfway through the procedure I woke up. The oral surgeon had both hands wrapped around the tooth-cracker (or whatever it's called) in my mouth, squeezing furiously, furrowed brow, with one foot up on the side of the chair I was in for leverage. It was both horrifying and hilarious at the same time. I was so bombed out of my mind from the drugs I just kinda looked up and was like "Ha. That's pretty cool." and passed the gently caress back out. Turns out my roots in all my teeth were super long or some poo poo, he had to break every single one in half to extract them.

Afterwards, still high, I sang "How Sweet It Is" to the nurse who led me to the recovery room, then flipped her off for some reason. Drugs are fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Woke up twice during mine, nothing like the sound of that drill and teeth cracking. They only gave me 7.5/325 hydrocodone. They told me the gen anasthesia would wear off over a day, my insanely drug tolerant body was fully coherent before the pharmacy even had my scrips ready.