Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

don Jaime posted:

and I still don't know who the mouse is. Some sort of Redwall reference?

My guess is Ralph from Mouse on a Motorcycle, but I may be wrong. Stuart Little? But he wasn't very adventurous or action-filled in his actual book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

cobalt impurity posted:

High heels were invented to allow your feet to catch into saddle stirrups. The automobile has sort of killed the need.

There is more evidence that high heels were invented to make your manly calves look turned as gently caress. Specifically, the evidence is in portraits of men in the past wearing heels and showing off their hunky legs.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Serious Cephalopod posted:

There is more evidence that high heels were invented to make your manly calves look turned as gently caress. Specifically, the evidence is in portraits of men in the past wearing heels and showing off their hunky legs.

Regardless of why they were originally invented, cowboy boots and any other type of riding boots have high heels specifically so that your foot doesn't get trapped in the stirrup if you fall off, because you want to end up on the ground and not being dragged alongside the horse upside down with your head at stomping level. They still look almost exactly like that today, if you look for men's cowboy boots from a ranch supply store that are intended for actual horseriding use. At least a two-inch heel.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Retail

Oh boy nothing gets me more excited than business efficiency gains!

So Cooper's one weird trick to getting things done fast is... not procrastinating... on delegating out work to subordinates of questionable competence... over a period of months... Gotta say that's really underwhelming after you played it up with the "mere mortals" thing.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Practicing their mime routine in the middle of an unfurnished yard.

Shouldn't they be stocking up on generators and batteries? That other stuff is really only for the benefit of Skip (and Grammy K, is she still around?)

Dustin

She's a designer, not a copy writer.

You and no one else Dustin. Didn't you hear that millennials don't care about cars? It's all tech all the time.

On the Fastrack

I know I start getting withdrawal if I go too long without seeing my friends' food photos.

Someone's gonna get fired today!

Safe Havens

About .347 Reddits.

That's until they get slowly strangled by weeds.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 22, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

No-substance-abuse policy? Aww man, I thought this was one of those jobs where it's perfectly fine to show up fall-down drunk.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
Didn't June take this job because it was going to take less time and work than her old one? And now she has to do a PhD on top of it?

This joke is so incredibly badly told. It's baically a one-panel joke, but stretched out to fit the format.

Well that's kind of horrifying.

Wizard of Id

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Slylock suggests they place blocks of ice on the pedestal between the ropes. Then, after lowering the sculpture onto the ice, the ropes could be cut loose. As the ice melted, the sculpture would settle gently onto the base.

Slylock Fox

They must have eaten something fattening that filled them up since otherwise they would've eaten the can too. Being goats.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Well that's kind of horrifying.

What, she just turned a bunch of lab rats into sapient, talking flowers and is now murdering them with salt(-cured cheese). No big deal

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Because how did they know they were oatmeal cookies?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

So Cooper's one weird trick to getting things done fast is... not procrastinating... on delegating out work to subordinates of questionable competence... over a period of months... Gotta say that's really underwhelming after you played it up with the "mere mortals" thing.

Congrats on your abysmally low turns I guess, Marla? Money tied up in inventory that just sits in the stockroom for half the year isn't an option on my 401k so I'm pretty sure it's a bad investment. A good manager would transfer that poo poo to another Grumbel's that needs it or take the hit and sell it on markdown. But you're not a good manager for many reasons :11tea:

I'm turning into Midnight Moth...

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

They must have eaten something fattening that filled them up since otherwise they would've eaten the can too. Being goats.

Slylock's, uh, pretty focused on Nana Goat's can. If that's an edit, it's a lovely one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

An he kissed her yee-ee!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ignoring anything else from the current LSoS arc, that is one awesome Toad of Toad Hall.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Ethan just has a history of letting random people off the street into the house. No biggie.

Non Sequitur

C'mon Wiley, poo poo's not that bleak. There's, like, Subway and stuff.

Heavenly Nostrils

:3:

Kliban's Cats

The catte even manged to get food smeared on the TV. Impressive. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 5/22/2003

:ughh:

I have no idea why GoComics is suddenly keeping these in much larger format than they were before. It's not committing table breakage at full screen so I guess I'll just leave it... he said to everyone's horror... :v:

Zits

My daughter's room's floor has literal archeological layers of clothes.

Kevin & Kell

27 Rutgers tomatoes, 12 California Wonder sweet peppers, and 8 hot peppers of unknown pedigree already in the ground. drat, that's a chunky rabbit considering she should be an herbivore.

I do that in my head sometimes. :v:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yes, another split level day...

Skippy (March 3, 1927)

Popeye (May 25, 1967)

What does a bird have to be depressed about? Bad day at the worm mine?

Funky Winkerbean

Les is such a rube that he thinks movie companies film the first submitted draft. :cawg:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac A good mother.

The Creeps A bad brother.

Broom Hilda is bigoted, why bring his sexuality into this?

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

My guess is Ralph from Mouse on a Motorcycle, but I may be wrong. Stuart Little? But he wasn't very adventurous or action-filled in his actual book.

It's Stuart Little. That image is straight off the original cover.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

:barf:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Miss Bianca from The Rescuers? Can't really tell gender from that picture.

The rat in the purple coat could be Ratty from The Wind in the Willows, since we've already got Mr. Toad involved.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
It's Stuart Little and Nicodemus from the rats of NIMH.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Midnight Moth posted:

You and no one else Dustin. Didn't you hear that millennials don't care about cars? It's all tech all the time.
I'm so sick of this loving myth. I'm salary, as are probably a lot of people that could afford a Mercedes. If I work a little harder, do you know what that gets me? More stress, not more money. I can work 80 hours in a week and I'd still be paid the same amount.

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox
Slylock Fox answer.
This isn't a good answer at all. Ice melts evenly in a vacuum, of which this is not. What's more likely to happen is the ice melts faster on the side facing the sun and causes the statue to tip over and these poor guys are fired. Thanks Slylock.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You use a couple of wedges that you can gently slide out to lower it down.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's more a Dali/Jodorowsky thing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I'm so sick of this loving myth. I'm salary, as are probably a lot of people that could afford a Mercedes. If I work a little harder, do you know what that gets me? More stress, not more money. I can work 80 hours in a week and I'd still be paid the same amount.

And if you are hourly, your income will be taxed at a higher rate if you go over your normal hours. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

RevKrule posted:

But if you work harder, you will get a better job because hard work is always rewarded and people who make lots of money are always hard workers.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm not sure why a murder-suicide note would have to be in code, but whatever.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I do that in my head sometimes. :v:

When Nemi came to a set of two open doors, she entered the door on her left.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

27 Rutgers tomatoes, 12 California Wonder sweet peppers, and 8 hot peppers of unknown pedigree already in the ground. drat, that's a chunky rabbit considering she should be an herbivore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Not going to post Over the Hedge because I really don't think the jokes are funny enough. So... here you go.

Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

I can especially relate since I've been dieting this week.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I refuse to believe Mike Lester listens to NPR willingly. Lester strikes me as an AM talk radio and classic rock guy (50's and early 60's none of that hippy poo poo). Also isn't Car Talk is suppose to be funny? Just gently caress YOU MIKE LESTER you lazy gently caress!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

No Classic Prince Valiant yet since I don't have time to upload the next album.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Allen Wren posted:

That's more a Dali/Jodorowsky thing.
Or Duchamp.
I missed the strips where Popeye's world was depicted as one in which electronics played any sort of part.

Bloom County

Steve is a frozen yogurt-hating fool, it's confirmed.

Harsh. Not the ants, the other part.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

And if you are hourly, your income will be taxed at a higher rate if you go over your normal hours. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You know you still end up with more money though, right? The higher tax rate only applies to the part of your income that falls within that rate's limits. There's no way that earning more can mean ending up with less money, that's just not how taxes work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

I missed the strips where Popeye's world was depicted as one in which electronics played any sort of part.
Seeing as Sagendorf died in '94, I'm very much looking forward to his depiction of the electronic world of 20+ years ago.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Yeah, you earned those diamonds! You earned them by forcing those children to work extra hours in that partially collapsed mine that just killed six of your adult workers!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Let them say what they will of he power of knowledge, I know that far truer is the adage of the bliss of ignorance. My greatest regret will ever be that I learned The Terrible Secret of Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

That's not really all that crazy. From the looks of him, New Dog could be a setter or some breed of retriever. Hell, half the dogs at the cafe are one sporting breed or another. This will just be one more thing for them to bond over.

Ballard Street

That's the least graceful Ballard Dog yet. I love it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mustapukuinen Mies - A Man in Black

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tiggum posted:

You know you still end up with more money though, right? The higher tax rate only applies to the part of your income that falls within that rate's limits. There's no way that earning more can mean ending up with less money, that's just not how taxes work.

Yes, but after the math is all done I typically found that the extra hours didn't pay well enough to bother doing. If you want to have more money, find ways to spend less. (I'm salaried now thankfully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

Steve is a frozen yogurt-hating fool, it's confirmed.

Harsh. Not the ants, the other part.

Frozen yogurt in 1987 is relatively new and is positioned entirely as a replacement for ice cream. It is not the Pinkberry "tart with 1000 available toppings" style you see now. Ted Turner bought up a bunch of movies and colorized some of them, but eventually everyone realized this was a bad idea. I am sure there are samples on Youtube if you're interested.

There's a New Coke bit coming up in this arc. Kids, please read up on the Cola Wars tonight.

• Locked thread