Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

5er posted:

I'm sure this is what most folks do. Some CRAZY people like to mix things up with non-EX weapons, but we don't talk about those perverts here. *crazyeyes*

Gloves are great on every character. Every charge attack is unblockable which is perfect for slaughtering block happy officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

5er posted:

I'm sure this is what most folks do. Some CRAZY people like to mix things up with non-EX weapons, but we don't talk about those perverts here. *crazyeyes*

Everyone should be slaughtering enemies with surfing all the time everywhere.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Needs More Jazz posted:

Everyone should be slaughtering enemies with surfing all the time everywhere.

Xingcai is so totally radical.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It depends with me. Sometimes I use two of the same, sometimes I don't. My perspective is kinda warped in that I started with Ambition heavily. I've only started going through the story recently(And getting annoyed at how bad the weapons available in story are compared to ambition. Still, I should have expected it).

I mean, some of the four-stars are...weird. Would you see Zhang Liao being good with a paintbrush? I wouldn't, but he is. So I throw it on him because of that.

Cai Wenji was a case of 'her base weapon lacked damage, find something else to complement it'. The Ringed Blade was a melee weapon with soundwaves. Perfect-new weapon AND fitting. Now I like the moveset and want to throw it on everyone. It was only when I got Sun Jian that I found it was his moveset, though I wondered, given how it moved. And as I advanced, I find the damm harp is actually better than I expected and want to throw THAT on everyone ever.

Diao Chan was my starter in Ambition(Still in part 1, mind you). So of course I threw the Halberd on her. Wouldn't you? As you'd expect, she's not only my highest but an utter monster in combat. It's not all the halberd either, given the whip has a power buff and good attacks.

Of course, my opinions don't mesh with the little reading I've done in Game FAQS, but they're seemingly playing on a different level to the point of being a different game.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 22, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I usually go with EX weapon and then whatever "quick" weapon the character has 4 stars in. Throwing Knives or Flying Swords with Havoc skill builds musou and rage like crazy. Plus sometimes you just gotta take people out with a Woven Cloth.

Except for Lu Bu. Lu Bu stays all halbred all the time. 420 (K.O.s) Halbred switch bonus all day errday.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neeeeeeeeeeeat, also almost surprised about the Xbone inclusion.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Glory be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welp, guess my PS4 is going to be a Warriors machine for the rest if the year.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Does anyone else just use two ex-weapons for their characters? Like, I've got Zhong Hui using one heaven and one earth set of flying swords. Like, if I want to use another weapon, I'll use another character.

If you do this with Lu Bu and constantly switch between them it is pretty much cheating.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

abagofcheetos posted:

If you do this with Lu Bu and constantly switch between them it is pretty much cheating.

It is, however, an excellent way to get the special animals in Ambition Mode.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Just give everyone two halberds and switch forever and enjoy cheesing every 5/6 star weapon requirement short of the really crazy time constraint ones.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Broseph Brostar posted:

Gloves are great on every character. Every charge attack is unblockable which is perfect for slaughtering block happy officers.

If I may suggest an alternative. Lu Bu's halberd on weapon switch always has a stun effect that drops defense on a block-happy officer that's right up against you. It's a stun where they're not knocked back or up into the air. Add to that the jacked attack speed on switch, and it might be the best 'gently caress this I just want to win' button option you got.

edit: oh cheetos and Jibo you cards

double edit gently caress looks like I'm buying WO3 a third time :v:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Speedball posted:

I remember a really cool couple of scenes in Kessen II. Kessen II is even more removed from reality than the novel OR Dynasty Warriors, but that's okay because it makes up for it with awesome.

After you finish playing as Shu, you switch over to Wei to see Cao Cao's side of things and it puts him in a more complicated role than you'd imagine from the start. One of your officers is Zhang Liao and he has to perform a one-on-one duel with Guan Yu to delay his unit during one battle--you even get a cutscene where they're whirling their spears against each other like blenders. Guan Yu and Zhang Liao reminisce about how they once fought a duel to win the favor of a woman--and Guan Yu won. *clang!* Guan Yu knocks away Zhang Liao's weapon. "Just like I won this time!"

But then in a later battle, Zhang Liao and Guan Yu have a rematch with the same purpose--to delay Guan Yu's unit. While they're again whirling away at each other, Zhang Liao asks "Say, that girl…did you marry her?" "I sure did." Zhang Liao smacks Guan Yu's weapon away and says "Then go back to her." Badass.
Don't forget Zhang Fei and Xiahou Yuan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXc2IU0UxA

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Remember when we talked about how there wasn't any new info on Hyrule Warriors? Cause there was a lot of new screens and info released in the past few days.

http://www.destructoid.com/here-s-a-bunch-more-hyrule-warriors-screenshots-275228.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/i-m-still-surprised-hyrule-warriors-exists-275188.phtml

I like the design on the original ghoul villain (Wizro?) they got there, and Link and Impa look good.

The other two original characters look like they were refugees from Warriors Orochi.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 22, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I just wonder how they'll work Lu Bu in there. Because you KNOW they will. They can't stop themselves at this point.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I want a cutscene where Lu Bu and Ganondorf fight to a bitter stalemate.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Are we talking regular halberdy stuff or should he be using the energy blasts he got as Musous in 8? Either is interesting, but I wonder.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

nutranurse posted:

I want a cutscene where Lu Bu and Ganondorf fight to a bitter stalemate.

This will only work if they also have Souten Kurou-style opera-singing for Lu Bu the whole time.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SilentW posted:

This will only work if they also have Souten Kurou-style opera-singing for Lu Bu the whole time.

He can smash a Re-Dead with Epona's severed head. This would be pretty great.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SilentW posted:

Was there an explanation, or just bad voice acting/direction?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Is that a playable wizrobe?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A villain but he'll probably be playable at some point.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I will buy a wii-u if tingle is playable

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Was there an explanation, or just bad voice acting/direction?
The anime itself wasn't that much more buckshit insane than the manga -- albeit because the manga itself was already buckshit insane* -- but more than one review was of the belief that whatever Madhouse budgeted it wasn't much and that that really showed; the only voice actors whose names rang a bell were Mamoru Miyano as Cao Cao and Tomokazu Seki as Liu Bei. The ending in particular screams "only paid for 26 episodes!" and was honestly one of the worst parts about the anime for me.

* Although some of them were clear attempts to not be as sexually graphic as the manga -- for example, the "dragon" scene with Lu Bu and Diaochan. :wtc:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bloodly posted:

I just wonder how they'll work Lu Bu in there. Because you KNOW they will. They can't stop themselves at this point.

Nor should they, Lu Bu is the best running joke, because as time goes on he just gets more and more ridiculous. Having just watched the first episode of Three Kingdoms 2010 (pretty good, though I think my expectations from the story are kind of making it hard to follow along) I was surprised at how much of a babyface the actor they picked for Lu Bu is. I like how everyone's depicted, it's just really odd to see that choice after DW8's Lu Bu.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Nor should they, Lu Bu is the best running joke, because as time goes on he just gets more and more ridiculous. Having just watched the first episode of Three Kingdoms 2010 (pretty good, though I think my expectations from the story are kind of making it hard to follow along) I was surprised at how much of a babyface the actor they picked for Lu Bu is. I like how everyone's depicted, it's just really odd to see that choice after DW8's Lu Bu.
According to Lu Bu's actor (Peter Ho), he may have been picked for his height, because according to him the director (Gao Xixi) "wanted someone tall and with a heroic air to take on this role and who can have a little romantic feel as well", since he didn't push for a specific role. He also noted that the director de-emphasized the old bit about Lu Bu killing Ding Yuan (his first foster father) in favor of portraying Lu Bu "as a more naive person", "easily influenced by others, who is easily tempted by the plans offered by others and who execute their plans" and focusing more on the Lu Bu/Diaochan love story. His interview starts at 16:05, with the immediately preceding one being for the actress for Sun Xiaomei (Shangxiang's counterpart in the show), and the director's is at 2:30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3WQUu0hCEs

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It's going to be Lu Bu masquereding as a giant Cucco that if you hurt Diao Cucco he will go on a rampage.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
And he will look like this:

E: That's from Twilight Princess for those who didn't play it/don't play Zelda. Literally Cucco people.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Eh, I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Dewgy posted:

He becomes pretty arrogant later on and Chen Gong gets fed up with him

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You know, in the novel Liu Bei held Lu Bu off solo for a bit.

Liu Bei.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

You know, in the novel Liu Bei held Lu Bu off solo for a bit.

Liu Bei.
What weapon does Liu Bei even use in the novel?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

What weapon does Liu Bei even use in the novel?

Superiority.

(The actual answer is dual swords - shuang gu jian.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, him using two swords isn't something Dynasty Warriors made up? I'm shocked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Give Liu Bei back his facial hair.

And Lu Bu in Three Kingdoms is basically a really pure guy, all things considered compared to the rest of the cast. The guy wants to avoid fights at times, even.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Speedball posted:

Nope! Though IIRC they also only say he has a sword a couple times, so maybe the second one is optional.

Disclaimer for following: I don't read Chinese, this is all second-hand.

It's written 双股剑. The second character makes it a little complicated; the first is 'pair' and the third is 'sword', but the second is literally 'thigh' or 'groin'; it's also a homonym for 'ancient'. I've seen the full name written as Yin Yang Swords before.

I've been told 股 is also a compound character of 肉 and 殳, which means 'meat' and 'thrust' respectively, so...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm playing 8XL on the PC (yay!) and have a question about Bonds: do they work transitively? If A and B have a bond (A being the character I play Ambition mode with and B being a bodyguard), and I play as B and use A as a bodyguard, will the bond be the same or will it be reset?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm playing 8XL on the PC (yay!) and have a question about Bonds: do they work transitively? If A and B have a bond (A being the character I play Ambition mode with and B being a bodyguard), and I play as B and use A as a bodyguard, will the bond be the same or will it be reset?

The bond will be reset. However, if you use C and have B as a bodyguard, the Bond will remain. Unless C isn't the same sex as A.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Bonds are not like Orochi, they are generic character bonds with all dudes and character bonds with all ladies. Whichever character you're playing as sits at 0 until you switch.

As an example, if you're playing Xingcai and have Lu Bu as a bodyguard, Lu Bu is gaining bond with all women characters, but if you switch to Lu Bu, Xingcai has no bond progress.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I thought he looked very silly running around the battlefield with two swords, so I'm surprised to see that its supported by the novel (who knows about real life though).

Whenever I see people in games or whatever using two swords I think of a little girl in The Witcher 2 seeing Geralt and saying to her dad "why does he have TWO swords? Does he lose them often?"