Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vaginal culture posted:

Dull Giro so far and as much as I'd like to blame Sky I can't. Although, Tour of California was horrible. Seemed like nothing but circuit finishes on massive 4 lane roads.

Its the BMC train and its looking like it'll be that way until week 3 when Quintana and Uran decide to do something.

Russian Bear posted:

Current point system rewards keeping a place rather than attacking. Everyone's still pretty fresh, I'm surprised Pozzovivo got so much time out today, strong ride by him. You attack when everyone (including yourself) is tired.

I think Pozzovivo caught them all napping today. It looked like they'd all decided to back off and let the break have it when he fired out and he just had the right guys up the road to let him slingshot. Evans didnt look like he felt like clawing it back on his own and by the time Morabito had got back on the front he was gone.

I think this last week has got all the GC contenders a bit scared they'll crack before the really tough stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Withnail posted:

Announcer just invented a new word: effortface

It should always be 'Doing a Voeckler' :colbert:

serious gaylord posted:

Its the BMC train and its looking like it'll be that way until week 3 when Quintana and Uran decide to do something.

Is it really a train if it only has 2 carriages? One more than Evans is used to I guess.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

It should always be 'Doing a Voeckler' :colbert:

You spelt Chris anker Sorenson wrong.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone make a 'You Tried' jersey for Rolland.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Congrats to Tyler Farrar. You did it. You killed everyone. :dukedog:

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Bouhanni again, he get a good chance to keep the red jersey now.

Stage 10

Farrar even worse than usual, fall alone on dry roads

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Here is the view from Degenkolb for the last 3km of the final Tour of California stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeCRnFq_9Lo

I love these videos as they make my heart race.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can someone find out who thought having all these corners in the last kilometres of sprint finish stages was a good idea and give them a loving smack?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I don't think the crash was Farrar's fault, it looks like the Lampre rider makes a last minute line adjustment and takes out his front wheel.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

Can someone find out who thought having all these corners in the last kilometres of sprint finish stages was a good idea and give them a loving smack?

I take it you are a fan of drag racing then?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No problem with some bends, but the sharp corners causing crashes and ruining the only exciting bit of sprint stages is adding to the already high levels of poo poo that this Giro has fired out so far.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I dunno man, I think the Giro finales have been fine as far as safety goes. The crashfest in the south of Italy was because of the weather, not the circuit, and today's crash was just a guy taking out another guy that had nothing to do with the corner they were about to navigate.

Somewhat technical finishes make sprints more exciting, teams have to actually think and plan ahead how they are going to orchestrate their train in terms of timing and sides of the road and such.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

No problem with some bends, but the sharp corners causing crashes and ruining the only exciting bit of sprint stages is adding to the already high levels of poo poo that this Giro has fired out so far.

You must be in an alternate universe, because 3 km drag races are not interesting in the slightest. Technical sprint finishes are interesting.

Besides, it's not the corners causing crashes - It's the riders as clearly seen today. Plus the riders have done a perfectly fine job of crashing on straight bits of road in this Giro

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh I'm sorry. I thought the crash today was caused by a rider going into a corner. What with it happening right on the corner and all.

I must be mistaken.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No one wants a flat straight finish. Technical finishes are better, crashing is part of sprinting. Ever pro sprinter will tell you that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Jan Ullrich also had a crash today.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yikes. According to Ullrich, he wasn't drunk. According to Blick (warning: shitrag), he blew a .14.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Lematin.ch is also reporting 1.4mg/L which is also the exact level of his previous crash in 2002 when he crashed into cyclists with his Porsche, I guess it's more consistent than his hematocrit.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:siren: FRANCESCO BONGIORNO IS IN THE BREAK :siren:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I had a friend who blew a 1.7 but later charged with 1.4 after blood tests. They banned him from driving for a year plus a massive fine. Where it got interesting was certain markers in his blood meant the court deemed him as an alcoholic. As such the risk of recidivism allowed them to suspend his license back until he proved via regular and random testing and psych meetings that he was clean for like 12 months. Like Ulrich it was also this guys 2nd offense, only he didn't have an accident or hurt anyone. Since they're victims involved, I expect Ulrich to have a really really bad time in the Swiss courts.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 21, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Not the kind of breakaway win everyone expected for this stage but well done Rogers.

Stage 11 finish

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There was a brilliant camera angle of him celebrating just as the mass of riders behind crested that little hill. Great shot.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bold predictions for the TT

Quintana will surprise everyone how fast he'll be in the tt.

Pozzovivo will "win" among the GC guys.

Someone on Garmin will crash.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Barolo TT recon with OPQS and Uran

I wouldn't be surprised if Uran did better than Cadel, he has improved a lot at TT over the last years.

Inner Ring stage 12 favourites preview :

Russian Bear posted:

Someone on Garmin will crash.

Speaking of Garmin crashes : Farrar fights on in the Giro d'Italia : Garmin-Sharp refutes suggestions he has caused the crashes.

cycling news posted:

The Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper quoted Alessandro Petacchi as claiming that Farrar crashed 18 times last year, suggesting there is a reason why he is often involved in crashes. Italian television also pointed the finger at Farrar, repeatedly showing replays of the crash on Tuesday.

He responded by explaining that riders hit the brakes in front of him before the vital corner in Salsomaggiore Terme. He refuted the idea that he often causes the crashes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Why the hell would riders ahead of a person brake for a corner, that's just RUDE.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Falling Down: The Tyler Farrar Story

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'd start a petition written in like 4 major languages requesting that he stop racing but I'm trying really hard to be a better person and dog piling him probably isn't in line with that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ludvigsson has gone wide on his descent and been thrown over the barriers. Thats one way to crash out of a time trial.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Uran in pink tonight ?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Holy poo poo. That sure is a time.

lol, Cadel reacts by almost running off the road

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Well this certainly shakes things up. Wasn't expecting Evans to lose a minute

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
OPQ with a billion riders in the top 10.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Amazing from Uran, OPQS were the only one to do a recon among the favourites teams, it pay off today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is that the GC over for Quintana? I dont think he'll overhaul that on Uran in the mountains unless something goes very wrong.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Though call, that will be hard for Quintana for sure, in his current form,it doesn't look like he can gain more than 3 minutes on Uran but we are only at the halfway point in the race and the hardest part is yet to come.

-Nairo Quintana can do it.

Quitana is better at climbing and has better recovery, he was very strong in the third week of TDF last year.(Stronger than Uran was in Giro 2013 third week)
Nairo won't be the only one OPQS need to focus on, Pozzovivo and other, will attack at some point, Uran will need to choose carefully which attack he choose to respond.
Uran will have to spend more energy and ride near the front more often now.

-Rigoberto Uran will win.

OPQS is better team in this giro than Movistar, it's the only top team to still get all their 9 riders. Uran avoided trouble and crashes better than Quintana so far.
While both are relatively lacking experience, Rigoberto finished 2nd in the Giro last year, it's a first time for Nairo in the Giro.
Uran has never been so strong and 3'29 is a lot of time.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I am happy to see Uran crush it in the ITT. Seems like Quintana is too sick to challenge him in the mountains.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Quintana really does need to up his TT game if he ever wants to win a Grand Tour.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

accipter posted:

I am happy to see Uran crush it in the ITT. Seems like Quintana is too sick to challenge him in the mountains.

He's got that HGH face

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Quintana really does need to up his TT game if he ever wants to win a Grand Tour.

He TTs pretty well, just had a terrible day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
New odds for winner, Uran is clearly the favourite now.

UniBet GC, Points, Mountain.

• Locked thread