Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ariong posted:

Why are the odds one-sided?

Its nearly always a 2v1. There are enemies in the area to help the invaders. You can be prepared for PvP, while the host is not. Really though the 2v1 is what makes it so lopsided. Even two terrible players can usually kill a better player if they gang up on them since they can just be stunlocked.

The only downside the invaders suffer is they can't use estus. There are other ways to heal though, and usually you won't even need to heal since you can just swarm the host and kill them with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Ariong posted:

Most people you'll invade aren't ready and will pretty much just roll over and die. On top of that you'll often have a second invader to help you out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ariong posted:

PVP is never ballanced.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, I'm convinced. So long, sun!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ariong posted:

For starters, you can get invaded by multiple grey phantoms. It's frequently a 2-on-1 battle. Secondly, everything else in the belfry is hostile to the invader, but not to the grey phantoms. So setting foot in the belfry gets you mobbed by all sorts of crap so you'd better be ready for it.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Safety Scissors posted:

I've been rolling through NG+, but I've been getting invaded some.

1) How does the blue ring work?
2) The invaders always seem to hit me despite the fact that the animation always seems to miss. I'm using the black knight halberd and even though shorter reach weapons are used against me, it feels like I'm being outranged. I'm guessing this is lag. How do I compensate for this?

The invasions happen often enough to be a definite nuisance, but sporadically enough that it's almost impossible to walk away with any information. I'm pretty much a sitting duck if someone invades. It would be way worse if the invaders didn't kill themselves because they're dumb.

There's not a huge amount you can do, thrust weapons are horrendous jerks with any latency, your best bet is either burning some effigies, going offline or just gritting your teeth and hope you hit a quieter soul memory range I suppose, or try and counter with the same sort of build/tactics, blue cops are assholes in NG+ because they were denied any PVP for so long.

Literal blue-balls.

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 22, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can the bell ring summon you from anywhere, or just from grey central station?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Ariong posted:

Can the bell ring summon you from anywhere, or just from grey central station?

Anywhere as long as the covenant symbol is flashing on your health bar.

Which can be a royal pain if you're in the soul memory sweet-spot for Bell activity as you'll sometimes almost be pulled back to the tower before you've even loaded back in.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009

neetengie posted:

Which Blue ring? If you mean the Blue Seal wear it and you have a chance of a Blue Sentinel helping you out. If you're a Sentinel wearing the Sentinel ring you search out for someone wearing the Blue Seal ring and go assist them.

You don't even need to wear the ring, I think it just gives you some extra hp. Just join the way of the blue and go about your business, you'll be covered by the sentinels.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gazaar posted:

One of my videos happens to have an avelyn using host! It works out really well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgQ3YQnuoQ

What weapon is that? The huge one that you one shot the guy with

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

david... posted:

Anywhere as long as the covenant symbol is flashing on your health bar.

Which can be a royal pain if you're in the soul memory sweet-spot for Bell activity as you'll sometimes almost be pulled back to the tower before you've even loaded back in.

What's soul memory? Also, a while ago I asked a question about something someone did in PVP and I was tole they did a guard break. Just now it happened again and I want to know how I can tell when it's happening so I can avoid it. What happened was I had just tanked a spinny attack that staggered me and left her open. We both recovered, but then she did an attack that went into a special animation and took out my whole health bar, even though I had my shield up and half a bar of stamina. What the heck was it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

What's soul memory? Also, a while ago I asked a question about something someone did in PVP and I was tole they did a guard break. Just now it happened again and I want to know how I can tell when it's happening so I can avoid it. What happened was I had just tanked a spinny attack that staggered me and left her open. We both recovered, but then she did an attack that went into a special animation and took out my whole health bar, even though I had my shield up and half a bar of stamina. What the heck was it?

Soul memory is the amount of souls you've collected. It doesn't matter if you spend them or lose them, all the souls you've collected from every source is accounted for.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Ariong posted:

Yeah like the last guy said Soul Memory is essentially your level, it's how players are matched up, unlike Soul Level from the previous game, it's in the top right of your character screen. That sounds like it might have just been a guard break with some lag on top, if you break through somebodies shield it leaves them in a stance you can do a canned animation attack that usually outright kills, basically a backstab from the front.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, how does that affect bell activity?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Ariong posted:

Well, how does that affect bell activity?

Basically you're matched up with people who've acquired roughly the same amount of souls as you, regardless of what they've spent them on, levels or gear or even just lost them all.

And regarding how it relates to the bell covenant, there's generally a certain range of soul memory of players when they find the area, so at certain levels it'll be a hell of a lot busier than say when you're at the end game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Soul memory is what this game uses for matchmaking. Soul level is irrelevant.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

david... posted:

Yeah like the last guy said Soul Memory is essentially your level, it's how players are matched up, unlike Soul Level from the previous game, it's in the top right of your character screen. That sounds like it might have just been a guard break with some lag on top, if you break through somebodies shield it leaves them in a stance you can do a canned animation attack that usually outright kills, basically a backstab from the front.

No, no, no. It just happened again! I was holding my shield up with full stamina, I went into a staggered animation, he instakilled me.

FrickenMoron posted:

Soul memory is what this game uses for matchmaking. Soul level is irrelevant.

Oh.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

It's worth joining the Bell Keeper covenant, putting on the ring, and kicking faces in with your incredibly one-sided odds even if you're not terribly interested in PvP. You get a Titanite Chunk every time you kill a host as a bell keeper, and after 10 kills you can get a slab by talking to the covenant leader.

This is the thing that makes the Bell Keepers so obscenely stupid. It's a pair of "optional" areas (both belfries obviously) with a PvP-focused covenant, which stacks odds greatly in favor of the invaders, which also has the best rewards out of any covenant.

-Every host kill as a Bell Keeper = titanite chunk.
-After the first ten kills = titanite slab.
-After a few kills (5? 10? I forgot) = a bunch of rusted coins (not a great reward but still)
-30 kills = Hidden Weapon (again, not a great reward but on par with other covenant rewards)
-100 kills = Bell Keeper armor set
-souls from every kill
Summary: very rewarding, easy, fun

Compare those rewards to any other covenant. It's ridiculous. Other covenants are almost worthless in most cases.

Ratnerds:
-A Pharros lockstone and rat tail every host kill
-Smooth and Silky stones at rank 2 and rank 3
-Sneaky Dragon Ring at the final rank
-Souls for kills
Summary: easy to level, decent rewards, hilarious shenanigans

Warriors/Heirs/Bros of the Sun:
-lovely shield at rank 1
-Amazing quality sword (A/A scaling) at rank 2 (the Sun Sword)
-Sunlight Spear, a great but limited miracle at rank 3
-souls from monster kills
Summary: easy to rank, arguably amazing rewards, core community experience, Try Praise the Sun!

Way of the Blue (Blue Babies)
-Souls from invader kills
-all of the (lovely) rewards obtainable with 10 invader kills, thus extremely easy to do
Summary: only noobies join this and probably not for long

Dragon Remnants:
-10 kills = dragon head stone
-20 kills = torso stone
-30 = black dragon greatsword
-souls from kills
Summary: rewards are okay and prevent some alternate playstyles but ultimately just a gimmick, easy to rank up though!

Company of Champions:
-entirely PvE based (though you also get awestones from killing red phantom invaders)
-all the rewards are decent
-not really worth mentioning since it's single-player focused
Summary: easy to rank up IF you are willing to farm, otherwise ranking up is sort of incidental, rewards are okayish (Vanq's Seal can be amazing), but can also get you invaded a lot if you are online while in the covenant

Pilgrims of the Dark:
-PvE focused (although you can be invaded in the abyss)
-dragon chime is the best lightning miracle caster in the game
-access to some hexes and stuff I guess who cares
Summary:easy to rank up (three short dungeons with not-so-dangerous enemies assuming you do it at a decent level), great rewards, small chance of being invaded in the Abyss

but then you have the biggest offenders here...

Brotherhood of Blood
-requires farming of red eye orbs through duels or mobs
-rank goes down with duel losses
-first rank reward: 50 points where a win = a point and a loss = subtracted point, a lovely twinblade
-second rank: 150 points for a lovely sickle
-third rank: Great Chaos Fireball!!!!! ... for 500 points, where a win = a single point
-souls for host kills
Summary: only worthwhile reward is Chaos Fireball but getting to that point is a waste of time and energy (especially since you can buy Chaos Fireball at NG++), no permanent invasion item means farming duels for orbs and being exposed to lovely arena PvP but your token of spite is not consumed

Blue Sentinels:
-50 duelists/invaders/sinners kill: lovely shield
-150: Wrath of the Gods (great reward)
-500: Bountiful Sunlight and Targray's armor
-easier to level than BoB, but heavily linked to BoB invasions
Summary: WoG is a great reward and Bountiful Sunlight is questionably good, easier to level up than BoB but relies heavily on BoB invasions, otherwise requires blue eye orbs won from duels or farmed off mobs, but tokens of fidelity are consumed regardless of duel outcome (making co-op necessary which can artificially inflate your soul memory if that matters to you)

This just really doesn't make sense. People have of course noted this multiple times in the thread but I feel like reiterating. The covenants that require the most work and frustration and headaches (Brotherhood of Butts and Butt Sentinels) also have questionable rewards (where Chaos Fireball and WotG aren't concerned) and are super aggravating to rank up. The easiest covenants have pretty good rewards (Pilgrims of the Dark, Sunbros) or can be ignored entirely (Dragon Remnants, Way of the Blue).

Bell Keepers get an easy time ranking up, but don't even need to rank up for their best rewards (the titanite). They get massive advantages during fights thanks to the helper-monsters, likelihood of having Bellbro backup, and coming to a fight prepared, versus hosts who typically don't know what they're getting into.

I would love to see all of the covenants patched to become as rewarding and instantly gratifying as the Bell Keepers. I certainly don't want to see the Keepers nerfed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ariong posted:

No, no, no. It just happened again! I was holding my shield up with full stamina, I went into a staggered animation, he instakilled me.

You got GUARD BROKEN son. Don't block all the time in pvp. Guard break allows a free riposte, which means you die.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

FrickenMoron posted:

You got GUARD BROKEN son. Don't block all the time in pvp. Guard break allows a free riposte, which means you die.

Oh, alright. How can I do that? Seems useful.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ariong posted:

Forward + R1 at the same time against a blocking enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNoEdwRyRk

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Ariong posted:

Sorry thought I was explaining that, you have to push forward and standard attack to do a sort of backhand move, it's not always easy to pull off with the controls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

I think it's forward+R1. Keep in mind that you can't guard break someone who isn't guarding (:v:) so if they don't have a shield it's pointless. This is why you don't use a shield in melee range.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Colapops posted:

Forward + R1 at the same time against a blocking enemy.

That's what that is? Alright then. I don't remember the people who did it to me having that animation, but maybe that's latency.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ariong posted:

Like the kick in dark souls 1. Guard break instantly staggers the opponent if he blocks, no matter the shield. Then you die.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it's forward+R1. Keep in mind that you can't guard break someone who isn't guarding (:v:) so if they don't have a shield it's pointless. This is why you don't use a shield in melee range.

Wrongggg! It still gives you a small stagger animation which you can totally abuse if you have a very fast weapon.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ariong posted:

That's what that is? Alright then. I don't remember the people who did it to me having that animation, but maybe that's latency.

Yes, it's one of those screwy things that sometimes you don't see at all and suddenly you're getting one-shotted. Other times you try to use it and clearly hit the person but they just keep sidestepping or whatever. Dark Souls.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

FrickenMoron posted:

Like the kick in dark souls 1. Guard break instantly staggers the opponent if he blocks, no matter the shield. Then you die.

I remember the kick. I tried that attack against enemies but since they didn't get knocked back, I figured it was something else entirely. I never would have guessed that it was a different attack that performed one function of the kick but not the other.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The guard break shove is also in demons souls, which is why i knew exactly what it would do from the start. It's actually in the tutorial too!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I'm pretty sure the guard break in Demon's was the same as the kick in Dark 1 - just a ton of stamina damage. It didn't actually put you in a crit-able state?

Then again! I didn't do very much PvP in Demon's, so I may be wrong!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ariong posted:

I remember the kick. I tried that attack against enemies but since they didn't get knocked back, I figured it was something else entirely. I never would have guessed that it was a different attack that performed one function of the kick but not the other.

Guardbreaking enemies that aren't blocking will actually knock them back and stagger them slightly but they recover very quickly with little to no issues on their part. Then they stab you.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Colapops posted:

This is the thing that makes the Bell Keepers so obscenely stupid. It's a pair of "optional" areas (both belfries obviously) with a PvP-focused covenant, which stacks odds greatly in favor of the invaders, which also has the best rewards out of any covenant.

-Every host kill as a Bell Keeper = titanite chunk.
-After the first ten kills = titanite slab.
-After a few kills (5? 10? I forgot) = a bunch of rusted coins (not a great reward but still)
-30 kills = Hidden Weapon (again, not a great reward but on par with other covenant rewards)
-100 kills = Bell Keeper armor set
-souls from every kill
Summary: very rewarding, easy, fun

Compare those rewards to any other covenant. It's ridiculous. Other covenants are almost worthless in most cases.

Ratnerds:
-A Pharros lockstone and rat tail every host kill
-Smooth and Silky stones at rank 2 and rank 3
-Sneaky Dragon Ring at the final rank
-Souls for kills
Summary: easy to level, decent rewards, hilarious shenanigans

Warriors/Heirs/Bros of the Sun:
-lovely shield at rank 1
-Amazing quality sword (A/A scaling) at rank 2 (the Sun Sword)
-Sunlight Spear, a great but limited miracle at rank 3
-souls from monster kills
Summary: easy to rank, arguably amazing rewards, core community experience, Try Praise the Sun!

Way of the Blue (Blue Babies)
-Souls from invader kills
-all of the (lovely) rewards obtainable with 10 invader kills, thus extremely easy to do
Summary: only noobies join this and probably not for long

Dragon Remnants:
-10 kills = dragon head stone
-20 kills = torso stone
-30 = black dragon greatsword
-souls from kills
Summary: rewards are okay and prevent some alternate playstyles but ultimately just a gimmick, easy to rank up though!

Company of Champions:
-entirely PvE based (though you also get awestones from killing red phantom invaders)
-all the rewards are decent
-not really worth mentioning since it's single-player focused
Summary: easy to rank up IF you are willing to farm, otherwise ranking up is sort of incidental, rewards are okayish (Vanq's Seal can be amazing), but can also get you invaded a lot if you are online while in the covenant

Pilgrims of the Dark:
-PvE focused (although you can be invaded in the abyss)
-dragon chime is the best lightning miracle caster in the game
-access to some hexes and stuff I guess who cares
Summary:easy to rank up (three short dungeons with not-so-dangerous enemies assuming you do it at a decent level), great rewards, small chance of being invaded in the Abyss

but then you have the biggest offenders here...

Brotherhood of Blood
-requires farming of red eye orbs through duels or mobs
-rank goes down with duel losses
-first rank reward: 50 points where a win = a point and a loss = subtracted point, a lovely twinblade
-second rank: 150 points for a lovely sickle
-third rank: Great Chaos Fireball!!!!! ... for 500 points, where a win = a single point
-souls for host kills
Summary: only worthwhile reward is Chaos Fireball but getting to that point is a waste of time and energy (especially since you can buy Chaos Fireball at NG++), no permanent invasion item means farming duels for orbs and being exposed to lovely arena PvP but your token of spite is not consumed

Blue Sentinels:
-50 duelists/invaders/sinners kill: lovely shield
-150: Wrath of the Gods (great reward)
-500: Bountiful Sunlight and Targray's armor
-easier to level than BoB, but heavily linked to BoB invasions
Summary: WoG is a great reward and Bountiful Sunlight is questionably good, easier to level up than BoB but relies heavily on BoB invasions, otherwise requires blue eye orbs won from duels or farmed off mobs, but tokens of fidelity are consumed regardless of duel outcome (making co-op necessary which can artificially inflate your soul memory if that matters to you)

This just really doesn't make sense. People have of course noted this multiple times in the thread but I feel like reiterating. The covenants that require the most work and frustration and headaches (Brotherhood of Butts and Butt Sentinels) also have questionable rewards (where Chaos Fireball and WotG aren't concerned) and are super aggravating to rank up. The easiest covenants have pretty good rewards (Pilgrims of the Dark, Sunbros) or can be ignored entirely (Dragon Remnants, Way of the Blue).

Bell Keepers get an easy time ranking up, but don't even need to rank up for their best rewards (the titanite). They get massive advantages during fights thanks to the helper-monsters, likelihood of having Bellbro backup, and coming to a fight prepared, versus hosts who typically don't know what they're getting into.

I would love to see all of the covenants patched to become as rewarding and instantly gratifying as the Bell Keepers. I certainly don't want to see the Keepers nerfed.

i agree w/ this post.

remove the token of fidelity consumption on blue, remove the way of the blue entirely, have blue sentinels be bound to like a blue ring that dr depression gives you, where if you get invaded while wearing it a blue sentinel can get summoned. So then people can be in a different covenant and still receive help from the blue sentinels.

add a permenant red eye orb and make invasion wins count for ranking the blood bros up. remove the loss of a point for losing a duel.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Colapops posted:

Guardbreaking enemies that aren't blocking will actually knock them back and stagger them slightly but they recover very quickly with little to no issues on their part. Then they stab you.

Not nearly as much as it knocked them back in DS1.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Guard break is a great thing I can never loving use because the button combo is dumb and doesn't work well with a keyboard setup. Nearly every time I try to guardbreak someone, I just do a normal attack instead.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I like guardbreaking with my dagger since it is extremely fast AND the crit bonus is enough to oneshot most.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007

I like complete sets! :toot:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

FrickenMoron posted:

I really enjoyed guard breaking sinners and impaling them with that Halberd. It's so much fun :unsmith:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Any tips on beating the smelter demon? I can't really put a finger on why I'm having trouble, but it always kills me before I get i get it down to a third of it's health.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ariong posted:

Any tips on beating the smelter demon? I can't really put a finger on why I'm having trouble, but it always kills me before I get i get it down to a third of it's health.
If you think you can go a long way through Alonne Knights, Captains and those Turtle dudes, skip it. You'll find another bonfire on the way near the last boss of that area anyways.
If you wanna kill him try having a shield that has good Fire resist, maybe coat yourself in Flash Sweat and enchant your weapon with Aromatic Ooze.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're really having trouble just summon Lucatiel. He'll just ignore you and hammer on her instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Motherfucker posted:

I like guardbreaking with my dagger since it is extremely fast AND the crit bonus is enough to oneshot most.

Chimes have a crazy fast shield break, too. Really handy to swap to one, break, swap back and DESTROY THEM FOR COMING NEAR THE BELL.