Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Source on that? I have worked with Taffer previously and am friends/former coworkers with many of the "experts" who consult on the show, I have a hard time believing he'd make so poor a decision. If he did, that's loving crazy.

Honestly I have a hard time believing it myself, and my only source was someone in the thread, I guess. I thought it was on the Bar Rescue Update blog, but there doesn't seem to be a mention anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What kind of a cup costs $35? Was it lead crystal?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Exactly. Wholesale I pay like $8 for hand crafted riedel wine glasses and esoteric restaurant-use rated cocktail glasses, I have a really hard time believing a 12oz plastic branded goblet with a battery is $35.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

tuyop posted:

What kind of a cup costs $35? Was it lead crystal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50WaahzIBS4

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's a guy on craigslist locally trying to sell his 2012 Ford Focus for 16 grand :laugh:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The focus is a nice car, especially in that model year... unfortunately he doesn't understand the value of depreciation

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
That's a common theme on Craigslist sites. People think their couple year old consumer good is still worth near-retail price because it's in mint condition ignoring the fact that it now lacks a warranty and has been supplanted by a new model twice over.

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
I've seen so many people advertise old engagement rings on Gumtree (Australian version of Craigslist) saying "I paid X amount for this and the price of gold has gone up so it should be worth even more now!"

Just... :what:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Eden posted:

I've seen so many people advertise old engagement rings on Gumtree (Australian version of Craigslist) saying "I paid X amount for this and the price of gold has gone up so it should be worth even more now!"

Just... :what:

A guy who lived on the floor below me tried to sell his ex-fiancee's $18k engagement ring on Craigslist around 10 years ago. He was stabbed 62 times & shot in the head for it, so I guess that qualifies as bad with money.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 22, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kid at work the other day told me he bought a gaming laptop on craigslist for $700 and drove 6 hours to go pick it up.

:downs: And it's crazy! There wasn't even anything wrong with it!
:v: How much was it originally? How old is it?
:downs: $800! 2 years!
:v: I'm happy for ya
:downs: Well, there is a dead pixel on the screen
:v: Did you call the guy to let him know?
:downs: He said if there's any problems to just mail it in since it's covered under warranty!
:v: But the warranty's under his name, right?
:downs: ...the laptop also makes a weird noise, but only sometimes!

So the kid drove 6 hours to buy a 2-year old laptop with a dying hard drive and a screen defect

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My 800 dollar 2 year old gaming laptop can now be had new for just over 500 dollars.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

-Troika- posted:

There's a guy on craigslist locally trying to sell his 2012 Ford Focus for 16 grand :laugh:

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The focus is a nice car, especially in that model year... unfortunately he doesn't understand the value of depreciation

I took a quick look at Kelly Blue Book for a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium with 30,000 miles, and for private party sale in excellent condition it was about $16.5k. The more "standard" models go for $11-13k, though. He might just have a bunch of options and trying to get blue book for it.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I work with somebody who makes me want to scream. He just started working with me not too long ago, I want to say about 8 months, and all of the sudden he has three Harley Davidson motorcycles. Three. Why you ask? Because our credit union gave him the loans. He also constantly mentions that he would get another one if the CU would loan him the money for it.

He says if he ever hits on hard times they hold their value so well that he would be able to sell them back for what he paid for them, if not more, and he'd be fine. He also took out a line of credit for the maximum of 7k, and that money is gone. All in all he owes over 51K for all three bikes, and that's not including the LOC he has. He just stared a 401k at the minimum contribution, and he just got told the house he's renting is getting sold out from under him, so now he has to find a new place to live. Emergency savings? What are those? :suicide:

Folly
May 26, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

... drove 6 hours to go pick it up.

We put a cheap, particle-board kid's dresser on craigslist for like $35. It was falling apart, but I'd repaired most of (we said as much in the ad) and it had a mirror, so really $60 would have been a fair price - even on craigslist. So it really was a bargain. We just wanted it gone quickly.

This guy drove his dually king cab truck from a town 1.5-2 hours away (3-4 hours round trip) to pick it up. He probably could have bought one new for what he spent driving to get it.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

-Troika- posted:

from a couple months back, but ...

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

triple clutcher posted:

from a couple months back, but ...

It's a GAS SAVER. Didn't you read those two words? Gas saver.

Wait, what do you mean it's only worth $10k? I paid $17k three years ago! Cars don't depreciate that fast, silly.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Really? I was considering buying one a while back, but there were so many people having transmission problems on their brand new cars without much support from the ford warranty that I just went elsewhere.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Folly posted:

We put a cheap, particle-board kid's dresser on craigslist for like $35. It was falling apart, but I'd repaired most of (we said as much in the ad) and it had a mirror, so really $60 would have been a fair price - even on craigslist. So it really was a bargain. We just wanted it gone quickly.

This guy drove his dually king cab truck from a town 1.5-2 hours away (3-4 hours round trip) to pick it up. He probably could have bought one new for what he spent driving to get it.
I sold a bass amp to a guy who flew a private plane from a town a couple hundred miles away to pick it up. He was a really nice guy, and I assume half of the point was to get out and fly a bit, but I think I could have found one a little closer.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

So, I know this guy (let's call him M) who is pretty bad with money. Actually, he's just bad at life. I know M through a group of online friends, but have never actually met him IRL, and never plan to (he gets conveniently excluded from our RL meetups), so some of the precise details on how bad he is at everything are fuzzy, but from him and a guy who knows him in real life I've managed to pick up enough to know he's basically a human train wreck.

M loves to talk about how much sex he has, just at random. We'll be playing video games and be trying to communicate and he'll just start saying poo poo like "so me and my girlfriend are going to have sex with a virgin on Thursday afternoon and I'll get to teach her how to have sex" and then go on for like 10 minutes about his probably imaginary sex life. I've taken to just pretty much saying "no one cares shut up shut up SHUT UP" and kicking him at this point.

The only thing M likes to talk about more than his sex life is money and how he is soooo poor (he's unemployed) and we should pay for his x. This occasionally works, especially on one guy (which I'll get into later), and he always does it in the most dickish way possible. For example, one person in this social group just graduated college, and me and a couple of the other people were trying to think up some graduation presents to get her. When M heard I was going to buy her a video game, he opens a private chat with me, and it begins. "You should buy this game for me too, I'm just as poor as her (being poor because you're a deadbeat is not the same as paying for college), you have plenty of money wah wah wah".

When I first met M, I fired back with "well why don't you get a job then you'd have some money". He always has an excuse why he can't get a job. First, it was that he didn't have a cellphone so he could never get a job because he had no way to call people. After he got a phone, it became "well I could get a job, but I hate people acting like they know more than me and are better than me, so I'd have to be self-employed". This led to a phase where M decided to become a blacksmith. He spent several hundred dollars on a propane forge and tools, proceeded to try to sell lovely metalworked stuff to people he knew online (he was actually losing money on material cost + shipping, but his mom paid for the expenses and he got all the profit, so he didn't care, more on that later). Right now the forge is taking up room in his garage.

Recently, M has been "hard at work trying to get a job" (he has applied to five different places this year) and he was very proud that he actually got an interview for a job, but didn't actually, you know, get the job. When he said it was for stocking shelves at a hardware store (which should be a layup if they're actually calling you in to talk to you), I tried to figure out how he hosed that one up. Apparently he showed up to the interview unshaven (he refuses to shave his neckbeard. I've seen pictures, it's terrifying), in a tshirt and jeans, and 20 minutes late.

Now, you may be wondering, how does he afford things such as housing, food, and a loving propane forge with no income at all. Well, he pulls down roughly $40 a week doing freelance work at a local auto shop, which mostly goes to beer. His phone is paid for by one of my other friends who knows him in real life, let's call him D. D is one of those guys who is attracted to the troubled type of person and just needs to help out. I've been trying to get him to stop doing this, because it's basically enabling M and it's also bad with money (M does not need a $400 smartphone and unlimited minutes). Pretty much everything else is paid for by his mom. This is where it gets a bit sad, but the best is yet to come.

It turns out his mother has been jumping through hoops to try to keep her deadbeat son from ending up on the street. Dad's out of the picture, and she's not in the best financial position. Yesterday he announces that his house is going to be foreclosed on (and by his house I mean his mother's house where he lives in the basement). Because M refused to get a job or go on any kind of welfare (because that's for "losers") eventually there just wasn't enough money for his mom to keep up with his spending. He leaves our channel and everyone has kinda an "oh poo poo" moment, because for any sane person having your some forclosed on is a horrifying moment.

An hour later, he shows up again, and everyone is like "how are you, how are you holding up". He seems confused, and says oh I'm great. We're confused, he just got horrible news, why is he saying he's doing great?. Well, since his home is being foreclosed on, he took this month's payment for the mortgage from his mother, drove down to the store, and bought a second monitor for his computer with the money. Because if he's being foreclosed on, no need to keep paying bills. Besides, he only is getting kicked out in September, which is like forever away.

M basically gives zero fucks about his HOME BEING FORECLOSED ON because he has always just had someone else to pay for him and his mistakes. At this point, I'm worried for D more than M, because given that they know each other in real life and live close, I'm like 90% sure M will crash on D's couch and be the same bloodsucking pest that he was to his mother.

M's one saving grace is he never discovered loans or credit cards. God help him if he does.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Holy poo poo.

Thread is back on track boys.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
We have this show here in Sweden that essentially is this thread, it's about people who have hosed up their economy and are on the verge of bankruptcy. The premise is that two economic advisers first go through how much debt the people they help have, how much they make each month and are given power of attorney over their finances. After that they get the budget board up where they show how much the chucklefucks spend each month which always shocks them.

Then the advisers sell things they don't use , help them get jobs if they don't have any and try to help them adapt a more frugal lifestyle. It's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be available with English subtitles because it's always one hour of hilarious schadenfreude.

triwolf
May 9, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

There was a goon in the TVIV thread (Probably archived by now) that was a regular at that bar, and he said the new bar didn't make that much money, the decor was cheap and they had to take out the self-service equipment due to county regulation. Not that I'd have ever stepped foot in that bar with the Pirate theme, but there you have it. I don't doubt that they'll go bankrupt in due time, however.

Bar Rescue's great entertainment, but a documentary it is not.

I can confirm all of this--Montgomery County MD has very strict booze laws and does not allow self-service equipment, the self-serve taps had to be removed immediately after the show taping.

The whole thing was pretty strange for those of us who are familiar with the area. On the show the host shows a map of the "nearby offices" whose workers he was hoping to attract for lunch and happy hour deals and at least two of the buildings labeled as offices are in fact parking garages for the metro. There really aren't that many office workers in the area. I don't have any idea how Piratz Tavern manages to stay open--and I say that as a person who likes the place, dorky as it is--but the Corporate Bar & Grill idea was pretty dumb. Like, how can you actually come up with a theme for a bar that's worse than a pirate theme?

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

ranbo das posted:

epic shitstorm

May I ask why you and your friends continue to game with this kid? He sounds like a royal piece of poo poo...is he CAL-I or something?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lord Tywin posted:

We have this show here in Sweden that essentially is this thread, it's about people who have hosed up their economy and are on the verge of bankruptcy. The premise is that two economic advisers first go through how much debt the people they help have, how much they make each month and are given power of attorney over their finances. After that they get the budget board up where they show how much the chucklefucks spend each month which always shocks them.

Then the advisers sell things they don't use , help them get jobs if they don't have any and try to help them adapt a more frugal lifestyle. It's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be available with English subtitles because it's always one hour of hilarious schadenfreude.

Given that *most* Americans are really bad with money - I feel like this show would be hated. But it could go the other way and end up like poor people votin republican.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

fruition posted:

May I ask why you and your friends continue to game with this kid? He sounds like a royal piece of poo poo...is he CAL-I or something?

It's a combination of D knowing him irl, a couple of people feeling bad for him mostly, and the fact that he's basically like a human trainwreck. You don't want to stare but you can't look away. We mostly hang out in a jabber channel (think irc for those not familiar) and between the ability to mute him and "forgetting" to invite him to games, you can deal with exposure.

He's actually less of a dick than he used to be. M used to be part of my corporation in eve but got banned because his forum signature was removed for almost giving a guy a seizure, so he managed to figure out who got it removed and baited them into clicking a link to a picture that did give them a seizure.

He's a real piece of poo poo, and gives people who actually are poor/unemployed a bad name.

Folly
May 26, 2010

triwolf posted:

I can confirm all of this

Disappointing. But it's still pretty entertaining as fiction. I'd bet that most of us have known a guy who was "totally going to open his own bar." A few of us probably know somebody who entertained the idea even after he sobered up. I shouldn't mind the idea of completing the storytelling on those disasters.

Tigntink posted:

Given that *most* Americans are really bad with money - I feel like this show would be hated. But it could go the other way and end up like poor people votin republican.

I dunno, you just have to present it right. Most Americans have terrible diets too. But Biggest Loser and a small contingent of similar shows continue to get air time. I'd love this kind of show in the US. (And I'd be even more eager to see the inevitable counter-movement on Tumblr.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Folly posted:

I dunno, you just have to present it right. Most Americans have terrible diets too. But Biggest Loser and a small contingent of similar shows continue to get air time. I'd love this kind of show in the US. (And I'd be even more eager to see the inevitable counter-movement on Tumblr.)

Debt-acceptance movement? :barf:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Seems to me like a shooty laser space mining game isn't the best choice for an epileptic in the first place.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Lord Tywin posted:

Care to at least translate the categories in that photo for us?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Lord Tywin posted:

There was a show like this in the U.S.. I can't think of it right now but I know it wasn't some drunk fever dream. I know I caught a couple of episodes. Person (or couple) gives power of attorney to an adviser or a trusted family friend after they are shown how absolutely stupid they are with their money. Not "we had a couple of medical emergencies" or "I'm really trying but I don't know what I'm doing wrong!". More like "she has a low paying job, he thinks he's a freelancer but doesn't realize that he's not pulling in any money and still buying poo poo to make himself seem more important" or "single gal just looooves shoes and clothes on her $6/hr paycheck". The kind of poo poo that would make BFC lose it's collective mind.

God I wish I could remember the name. I saw it on A&E, or Bravo or something like that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

Debt-acceptance movement? :barf:

"Differently Budgeted"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lord Tywin posted:

What do those columns represent? I'm guessing sparande is savings.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

Translation:Boende=Rent, Mat=Food, Transport=, Kläder=Clothing, Sparande=Savings, Övrigt=Other/Misc. They usually have a separate category for debts that are not a mortgage.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Tigntink posted:

I can assure you that most Swedes are just as horrible with money but still enjoy the show because they are obviously special and nothing like the people on the show.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Care to at least translate the categories in that photo for us?

From left to right rent/cost to own home, food,transportation, clothes, savings :allears: , other.

The banknotes are these two

Worth 151.73 dollars.

Worth 75.87 dollars.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

"Differently Budgeted"

Purchase Positive?

Google says that there's a show called Til Debt Do Us Part up in Canadia that was carried by CNBC for a bit. From the title, it sounds like it could be a combination of poor financial decisions and E/N.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

triwolf posted:

I can confirm all of this--Montgomery County MD has very strict booze laws and does not allow self-service equipment, the self-serve taps had to be removed immediately after the show taping.

The whole thing was pretty strange for those of us who are familiar with the area. On the show the host shows a map of the "nearby offices" whose workers he was hoping to attract for lunch and happy hour deals and at least two of the buildings labeled as offices are in fact parking garages for the metro. There really aren't that many office workers in the area. I don't have any idea how Piratz Tavern manages to stay open--and I say that as a person who likes the place, dorky as it is--but the Corporate Bar & Grill idea was pretty dumb. Like, how can you actually come up with a theme for a bar that's worse than a pirate theme?

I live in Arlington and there's a lot of talk here at the office of going there at some point just for the novelty factor. Every bar in the DC area near offices goes with the corporate theme and it's boring as hell. While "pirate theme" may be dumb, at least it's something unique and probably gets some novelty traffic.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Folly posted:

Google says that there's a show called Til Debt Do Us Part up in Canadia that was carried by CNBC for a bit. From the title, it sounds like it could be a combination of poor financial decisions and E/N.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQJxGIFzdo

She's like the Dog Whisperer of Debt

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
Yeah, I actually liked that show a lot. If people followed her rules and stayed on a budget for the month she worked with them, she gave them a $5k cheque for their debt, but that amount could slide based on how well they followed the rules down to $0.

She had another show as well, for young, generally single women with the same premise called "Princess." I learned a lot!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

peter banana posted:

Yeah, I actually liked that show a lot. If people followed her rules and stayed on a budget for the month she worked with them, she gave them a $5k cheque for their debt, but that amount could slide based on how well they followed the rules down to $0.

She had another show as well, for young, generally single women with the same premise called "Princess." I learned a lot!
Looked at her Wikipedia bio, she has an even more recent show that sounds right up our alley: Money Moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Chin Strap posted:

"Differently Budgeted"

You might be on to something. Maybe we can start using "trans-wealthy" as an alternative to "temporarily embarrassed millionaire."

• Locked thread