Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've always found it weird how romanticized World War II is in American pop culture. I mean I'm sure part of it is that the bulk of it is a clear GI Joe vs. Cobra style delineation of good guys vs. bad guys and that makes for good storytelling, but is any other country quite as obsessed with WW2 to the point of making multiple magazines about it? I mean, I feel like there's gotta be a point where your magazine has covered everything noteworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

raditts posted:

I've always found it weird how romanticized World War II is in American pop culture. I mean I'm sure part of it is that the bulk of it is a clear GI Joe vs. Cobra style delineation of good guys vs. bad guys and that makes for good storytelling, but is any other country quite as obsessed with WW2 to the point of making multiple magazines about it? I mean, I feel like there's gotta be a point where your magazine has covered everything noteworthy.

I don't know about magazines, but Britain can be pretty drat obsessed over WW2 (The Blitz, standing alone against Germany, Dunkirk etc). I feel that sentiment has kinda faded in recent years but it's certainly still somewhat strong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

It's our peak moment. We're the former high school QB who can't stop wanting to return to their salad days.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

British film makers have been winning Oscars for doing sappy WW2 movies forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Always remember to completely ignore the "contributions" of the Soviet Red Army. I use air quotes because the contributions massively understates the importance of the Red Army in WWII, like, they basically won the thing with a slight assist from the rest of the Allies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I didn't realise that HBO had brought back The Comeback for a few episodes, kind of a strange order but neat. I heard the first season was pretty good, I watched the pilot and it didn't wow me but maybe worth a reconsider.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

In the last episode it shows pictures of the real Marines and what they went on to do after the war. I had no idea who 90% of the people were. I recognized Leckie, Sledge, Sledge's New Orleans friend, and Basilone. Then it just kept showing more pictures of people we are supposed to know. When it did the same thing in Band of Brothers I knew every single one.

Show was bad.
I somewhat agree. I think the episodes would've worked somewhat better if they mostly kept to one character, themes and such be damned, because it was still hard to follow. It wasn't like BoB where you were just following the same company, different dudes each episode. You were jumping around a fuckton and that I thought didn't really help unless you were already knowledgeable about the Pacific other than like Midway, Iwo Jima, and Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Always remember to completely ignore the "contributions" of the Soviet Red Army. I use air quotes because the contributions massively understates the importance of the Red Army in WWII, like, they basically won the thing with a slight assist from the rest of the Allies.

By 'won the thing' you mean shot Nazis in the back as they were moving west to deal with us, because that's basically what they did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You have no power over me Joe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

British film makers have been winning Oscars for doing sappy WW2 movies forever.

So have the French, for that matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Russians do loving brutal nihilistic movies about WW 2. You might too if 80% of all males born in the USSR in 1923 died in WW2.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Literally the only thing I remember from Pacific is that dude drinking out of the top of a human skull.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just watched The Monuments Men and it was pretty good. :unsmith:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Duke posted:

Literally the only thing I remember from Pacific is that dude drinking out of the top of a human skull.
I don't even remember that.

But I do remember them using some stupidly racist (well obviously) challenge/response thing to determine if the Japanese were hiding or not.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

hollylolly posted:

I just watched The Monuments Men and it was pretty good. :unsmith:

Really? I saw it in the theater to appease this artsy girl I liked at the time and it was so horridly boring, honestly I cannot remember 95% of it. I thought it was bland, woodenly acted, not very coherent...just not entertaining at all.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
India made a World War II movie once. It was a bad movie. :smithicide:

Edit: oh, they have their own version of Downfall Hitler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkUsY0txi8

Ravane fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 22, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

India made a World War II movie once. It was a bad movie. :smithicide:

I mean, for real.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does it have like 15 musical numbers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

That mass dance scene with the elephants and vishnu that took place in Dachau was historically accurate I'll have you know.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

I mean, for real.

India does have a few good movies, though most are indeed terrible. "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara" is one I'd say is a 9/10 on the Hollywood scale of movies.

zoux posted:

Well, not 15 and I was disappointed I couldn't find a scene with Hitler dancing Bhangra, but there are several montages set to sad indian music and this one ridiculous dance routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsZJubSMcs&t=2430s

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The Midniter posted:

Really? I saw it in the theater to appease this artsy girl I liked at the time and it was so horridly boring, honestly I cannot remember 95% of it. I thought it was bland, woodenly acted, not very coherent...just not entertaining at all.

We must have different tastes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

We must have different tastes.

But only one of you can have the objectively correct taste. So, who is it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
'pretty good' is about as good as I would ever expect a Clooney-directed movie to get, so it could go either way.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to watch a rad movie Ravenous is on Netflix instant now. It's easily the best non-musical cannibal western in existence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you want to watch a rad movie Ravenous is on Netflix instant now. It's easily the best non-musical cannibal western in existence.

This movie legit owns and is hilarious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Heh, I just watched that the other day. I didn't realize they only just put it up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey so I finished reviewing season 2 of LMS

I am p proud of this y'all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Hey so I finished reviewing season 2 of LMS

I am p proud of this y'all

Good thing you advertised it in here, it's not like the thread is stickied or anything.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

Good thing you advertised it in here, it's not like the thread is stickied or anything.

Christ you're whiny

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I'm interested in watching Fargo but I've never seen the film. I also have no idea what the connection between the TV series and film is (is it a sequel, a remake, only loosely related??). Is it recommended to watch the film first?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mancalamania posted:

I'm interested in watching Fargo but I've never seen the film. I also have no idea what the connection between the TV series and film is (is it a sequel, a remake, only loosely related??). Is it recommended to watch the film first?

You don't have to but you should

They're not connected at all, sort of like a creative reimagining of the events of the film but not really

My recommendation is to watch the pilot, if you like the pilot watch the film, then watch the rest of the episodes of the tv series

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

mancalamania posted:

There's no need. The show is basically a (very loose) retelling of the movie and you don't need any knowledge of one to "get" the other, though it may add to the appreciation of smaller details.

And speaking of Fargo, I may be done with it after this week's episode. That was brutally discouraging and doesn't really leave me in a place where I'm thinking, "Sure, I want to see more of that."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're talking about Molly she's still alive according to an interview with the actress

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wouldn't call it a loose retelling of the movie. It's an entirely different story that uses the movie's small-town Minnesota setting and milieu. There is something that happens in the movie that comes up in the show (not right away, later on in the season), but seeing the movie isn't required to follow the show's plot. But watch the movie anyway because its great.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mancalamania posted:

Watch the movie. It's a classic and it's on Netflix Instant in the US.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Kinda disappointed we breezed past Disney Afternoon shows without mentioning Goof Troop. Never watched it myself, but I'll be damned if I didn't hear the theme song like 1000 times growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUhdK8jp9k

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Kinda disappointed we breezed past Disney Afternoon shows without mentioning Goof Troop. Never watched it myself, but I'll be damned if I didn't hear the theme song like 1000 times growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUhdK8jp9k

The movie owned. I don't remember much of the show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I must be horribly broken in some way after watching the shows I watch because while the latest Fargo episode is pretty weighty, it in no way lives up to this hyperbole of soul crushing that everyone keeps going on about.

I mean, 'bad stuff happens' is pretty much part and parcel to the whole thing. The whole tone of the show keeps me from getting too vested in everyone's fate. I'm enjoying the hell out of the show, but my reaction to the latest episode was basically "Can't wait to see how it devolves from here" and not "I'm going to go to the corner to cry a little."

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm just popping in to say that Shameless is completely breaking me this season and I'm only halfway through it. I'm emotionally exhausted after every episode. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm just popping in to say that Shameless is completely breaking me this season and I'm only halfway through it. I'm emotionally exhausted after every episode. gently caress.

I couldn't do it this year, at least not week to week, because I just couldn't handle the weight. I started a thread titled "Why the gently caress aren't you watching Shameless" and I haven't watched more than three episodes this season. :negative:

• Locked thread