Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Jose posted:

I hope this is auto correct because it will be amazing if so

Nope. Just my brain on occasions being as buggy as auto correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

You should probably spoil that poo poo. But:

I think, if you read it carefully, there are hints that Kubera-that-talks-to-Leez and Kubera-that-leads-the-Sura are not in fact the same being, or are two separate and unreconciled facets of that being. My current theory is that Kubera-talking-to-Leez is actually an external manifestation of the power of the name that Leez possesses. This is based mostly on... the sword-test arc in the current city? Especially the conversation he and Leez have when she wakes up after the fight. I'm not sure, I'd have to re-read the whole thing to check.

Actually, this might have been talked about upthread. I can't remember. :v:

But, to be honest, I don't think we know enough about names and the particular metaphysics of the setting to say whether it's bad plotting or not. It's sure as hell presented like an intentional mystery, though.
A lot of the stuff isn't laid out very clearly. Agni seemed to think that Kubera was responsible for killing Ananta, but he sort of deflect that and said it's nothing to be proud of. Then Sura don't seem to know who killed Ananta. It's not even clear that anyone knows who old Kubera is.

It is sort of interesting that the Sura fostered their kids because of the power of the name. I guess it's because there's certain individuals who inherited the names of dead Nastika. Sort of weird how Kubera is the only god that did the same thing. Gods can't die, so it's more likely his power is just slowly transitioning to Leez, but why would he do that in the first place? It's probably related to how he killed Ananta, I'm just not seeing how it's supposed to help.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Algid posted:

I guess it's because there's certain individuals who inherited the names of dead Nastika.

It was ambiguous, but isn't one of the defining features of Nastika that their names can't reincarnate? Once they're dead, that's it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It was ambiguous, but isn't one of the defining features of Nastika that their names can't reincarnate? Once they're dead, that's it.
They can't reincarnate, that doesn't mean the power of their name can't be passed on.

It's not like Kubera is the reincarnation of a god, it's her name which she was given when she was born, and the powers and identity of the god is something she's still developing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The "can't reincarnate" thing is a property of the name, though. Or rather, deathlessness is a property of Astika names. It just makes sense to me that a Nastika name can die permanently. :shrug:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The "can't reincarnate" thing is a property of the name, though. Or rather, deathlessness is a property of Astika names. It just makes sense to me that a Nastika name can die permanently. :shrug:
Maruna pretty much said that that's why there's people after Yuta (and himself and their sister). Hura thought the same thing and commented on this after Maruna and Yuta fought.

It's not clear that it works in the same way with Kubera and Leez, but there's definitely something similar going on with the different Sura clans. Why would they all be using aliases otherwise?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not entirely convinced that Can't See Can't Hear But Love isn't some sort of really dark comedy.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Is Kubera actually any good? I've read the first three chapters and it seems like it's incredibly stupid and bland. The art and designs are terrible, too.

It's pretty good- her character work is interesting, it has a nuanced plot, and the worldbuilding is gorgeous.

OTOH, it's...slow. I mean, the plot is constantly advancing, and there are constant hints and tease about the larger plot, but you are constantly in a position of "we'll know more in five chapters", and on and on and on.

It's probably currently my favorite updating manga/webtoon, but sometimes you can be tempted to wait for a backlog.

Algid posted:

Maruna pretty much said that that's why there's people after Yuta (and himself and their sister). Hura thought the same thing and commented on this after Maruna and Yuta fought.
It's been explicitely stated elsewhere that Nastika names are annihilated upon death. the whole Maruna/Yuta thing might be because their Dad is actually comatose, not dead (possibly a name transition) or it could be 'The Garuda' name, E.G what makes a King.

quote:

It's not clear that it works in the same way with Kubera and Leez, but there's definitely something similar going on with the different Sura clans. Why would they all be using aliases otherwise?

Yeah, something is wonky there.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 19, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Honestly I keep hearing "the characters are good but the story is poo poo" and that combined with the horrifically bad deviantart-level artwork and designs just turned me off from it, sorry man. Think I'll pass on it unless I somehow run out of absolutely anything else to read.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School ch. 32 That's some serious spanking.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Arkeus posted:

It's been explicitely stated elsewhere that Nastika names are annihilated upon death. the whole Maruna/Yuta thing might be because their Dad is actually comatose, not dead (possibly a name transition) or it could be 'The Garuda' name, E.G what makes a King.
Where is this? I only remember it being mentioned that for gods their names, essence and lives are all tied together. Presumably at least part of that is different for the Nastika.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

The people translating this are doing a really good job of creating puns that work in english. Good on them for not just doing a direct translation for the sake of ~purity~

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
I don't know how relevant it is, but in Hindu mythology, Ananta is an incarnation of Vishnu, whose name means "The Eternal Lord." And his death pissed off the Primordial Gods.

The Sura aren't just after Leez. They're after anything that links God Kubera to the world, which is why they went after his god-level items in the Temple of Earth in the most recent attack. I think that they're trying to help push the name Kubera out of existence. Why God Kubera helped them I have no idea, but it might be that he agreed to certain terms when entering the conflict over his name. Asha has some stake in the conflict as well, evidently with different goals than either the Sura or God Kubera. It's just speculation, but I think God Kubera may be her father.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't know how relevant it is, but in Hindu mythology, Ananta is an incarnation of Vishnu, whose name means "The Eternal Lord." And his death pissed off the Primordial Gods.

The Sura aren't just after Leez. They're after anything that links God Kubera to the world, which is why they went after his god-level items in the Temple of Earth in the most recent attack. I think that they're trying to help push the name Kubera out of existence. Why God Kubera helped them I have no idea, but it might be that he agreed to certain terms when entering the conflict over his name. Asha has some stake in the conflict as well, evidently with different goals than either the Sura or God Kubera. It's just speculation, but I think God Kubera may be her father.

That... makes a lot of sense.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Cheese in the Trap has started to get translated by Odd Squad again, and chapter 129 is just pure :allears: halfway through with Sul panicking in the car with Jee-Han who was starting to make a move on her to kiss her, then she freezes up, overthinks it, loses it, grabs his face and kisses him on the cheek before running away. Perfect.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Cheese in the Trap has started to get translated by Odd Squad again, and chapter 129 is just pure :allears: halfway through with Sul panicking in the car with Jee-Han who was starting to make a move on her to kiss her, then she freezes up, overthinks it, loses it, grabs his face and kisses him on the cheek before running away. Perfect.

That was pretty :allears:

This (c132) is what killed me, though. Oh, Jung, you psycho fucker :haw:

Serious talk though: Jung scares the poo poo out of me. I'm just waiting for the moment when he decides to kill Sul and have her mounted in the living room. :ohdear:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I've just read the first 8 chapters of Cheese in the Trap and I'd love to know some things. Does the art improve and does something, anything actually happen at some point? At the moment it all seems like the most petty bullshit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A lot of poo poo happens, the story progresses at a fairly slow but constant pace, and holy poo poo are there some real awful characters(awful as in bad people, not badly written). Oh Young Gon might be the most unsettling, pettiest little stalker/psychopath/social engineer I've read in one of these stories without it actually being about him or him being the main antagonist.

The main character falls into the "everything bad happens to her" pit a lot but it's more interesting learning how hosed up the main male character is, as posted above chapter 132 is a textbook example of how much of a sociopath he is. Also I believe someone mentioned that since it's Korean a lot of the characters and attitudes are very (and literally) foreign to western audiences, certain things we don't condone are the norm there, etc so the mindsets are different and can seem more repugnant than they probably mean to be. That said, there's a bunch of genuinely terrible people in it. It's a long-running drama and if you want your story to be concise then it might not be for you(it's currently at 177 chapters with 132 translated), but some of the side stories it has are definitely interesting and the way it handles certain things such as Oh Young Gon's stalking, homophobia and hate crimes, etc

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm on my phone so I can't really link to it, but Noblesse got a new chapter and :siren:M-21 has gone werewolf mode infront of an actual werewolf!!!! :siren:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

A lot of poo poo happens, the story progresses at a fairly slow but constant pace, and holy poo poo are there some real awful characters(awful as in bad people, not badly written). Oh Young Gon might be the most unsettling, pettiest little stalker/psychopath/social engineer I've read in one of these stories without it actually being about him or him being the main antagonist.

The main character falls into the "everything bad happens to her" pit a lot but it's more interesting learning how hosed up the main male character is, as posted above chapter 132 is a textbook example of how much of a sociopath he is. Also I believe someone mentioned that since it's Korean a lot of the characters and attitudes are very (and literally) foreign to western audiences, certain things we don't condone are the norm there, etc so the mindsets are different and can seem more repugnant than they probably mean to be. That said, there's a bunch of genuinely terrible people in it. It's a long-running drama and if you want your story to be concise then it might not be for you(it's currently at 177 chapters with 132 translated), but some of the side stories it has are definitely interesting and the way it handles certain things such as Oh Young Gon's stalking, homophobia and hate crimes, etc

Thanks for replying.

I may have gone a little overboard with my words there but I really wanted something to hook me but it never did. The dynamics of a Korean campus are pretty interesting and with some escalation I'm sure I'll find myself enjoying it more. I guess I'll try to stick it out until it's more than the occasional stink eye.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, it's a slow burn. When things happen, they're usually pretty "oh poo poo!" but there's also tons of the petty bullshit because apparently all Korean college kids are assholes or useless. There's occasionally side stuff that is tangential to the main story but is largely irrelevant, although sometimes it can be pretty well-done, like there's a girl who starts dressing/doing her hair like Hong Sul because she admires her so much, which is creepy/sad. One of the recent chapters focused on her and it's kind of a bummer, she's kinda slow in the brain, not very attractive and aimless and focuses on Hong Sul because she's a hard worker and pretty, and so she wants to be like her. It's ultimately the wrong thing for her to do but she's still a pitiable character and I'm curious what'll happen down the road with her and Hong Sul.

But mainly it focuses on Hong Sul, Jee-Han, Bora and her good friend who is a dude I can't remember the name of(I am super bad at remembering the names of characters in Manwha, sorry). There's also Bek In Ho who has started to show up a lot about halfway through the currently translated chapters who throws a monkey wrench into the whole relationship thing because he hates Jee-Han's guts for some past incident.

I hesitate to say it's a soap opera since I feel like it's better-written and more consistent than one, but I guess it's comparable. I never thought the art was bad, per-se, it might be fairly low in the shading department but I felt the eyes and faces were good at conveying emotion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Captain Invictus posted:

Also I believe someone mentioned that since it's Korean a lot of the characters and attitudes are very (and literally) foreign to western audiences, certain things we don't condone are the norm there, etc so the mindsets are different and can seem more repugnant than they probably mean to be.

Having once pointed out to a landlord that I could simply change the locks and it would take him months to get a bailiff down to kick me out, giving someone a week to move out is pretty hilarious. (I assume that is what they are talking about).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So I recently caught up on Ruler of the Land and I really enjoyed it. It has very well drawn action scenes, and it uses the wuxia setting which I haven't seen that often. I does have a couple drawbacks though, in that its first few arcs are rather silly and the main character is just randomly using techniques, but then things get really good once the main character starts embracing martial arts and actually starting his journey. The disguised identity love triangle is pretty much dropped around the same time too, so that particular setup doesn't stick around too long. The other big drawback is that the translation is really rough and inconsistent so you're bound to be confused about the names for everything for a while. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of Wuxia stories.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The new Noblesse is up (if anyone besides me still reads this poo poo) and HOLY poo poo IT'S THE LORD!!! Also, still no idea who the 3rd elder is supposed to be, he doesn't seem to be a Werewolf or a Noble.

http://mngacow.com/noblesse/320/

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm still reading it. I feel like it's been dragging on for a long time. We're just basically cycling through the elders with various battles. I really miss the original teens and their teen doings. Who will be the bad guys if we kill all the elders?

Aliens? Heh. Guana.

And yeah, holy gently caress: The Lord is out!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Silynt posted:

The new Noblesse is up (if anyone besides me still reads this poo poo) and HOLY poo poo IT'S THE LORD!!! Also, still no idea who the 3rd elder is supposed to be, he doesn't seem to be a Werewolf or a Noble.

http://mngacow.com/noblesse/320/

drat! poo poo is about to go down! I am so glad this is off break now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dan7el posted:

I'm still reading it. I feel like it's been dragging on for a long time. We're just basically cycling through the elders with various battles. I really miss the original teens and their teen doings. Who will be the bad guys if we kill all the elders?

Aliens? Heh. Guana.

And yeah, holy gently caress: The Lord is out!

Well pretty clearly Crombell is the last boss since he's the one who got ahold of one of Frankenstein's old research journals.

Should really be more careful where you put that stuff, Frank.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

FiftySeven posted:

drat! poo poo is about to go down! I am so glad this is off break now.

Rai is too hurt to fight and we've seen Frankenstein's shtick a lot so let's bring in the next dues ex machina! Not going to lie though I'm super excited to see the lord cut loose. If the story was delving into the characters more instead of the action I'd say this would be a romance subplot for the lord and raijak or whatever this dude's name is again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Can't see Can't Hear but Love

:qq:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Noblesse 322. Focuses on the small fry but the final panel is pretty cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Gamer updated.

It's awesome his friend is just now openly calling him out on how bullshit his broken ability is. What a fun little story this has been.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Gamer has actually had its own thread for a while now!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shugojin posted:

The Gamer has actually had its own thread for a while now!

Ah yep, thanks I forgot about that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://read.egscans.com/Dead_Sorcerers_City/Chapter_086

Don't know if anyone is keeping up with Dead Sorcerer's City but its finally starting to reveal its plot. Also a QR code for anyone capable of reading Korean

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Lyon posted:

Noblesse 322. Focuses on the small fry but the final panel is pretty cool.

I kept expecting them to let werewolf dude in on the fact that it was his own team messing around with werewolf/human hybrids. I kind of get the feeling they're going to end up siding with the good guys, anyhow.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

I kept expecting them to let werewolf dude in on the fact that it was his own team messing around with werewolf/human hybrids. I kind of get the feeling they're going to end up siding with the good guys, anyhow.

Yeah, the werewolf elder has consistently been portrayed in a more or less sympathetic light.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One of my main problems with Noblesse is that if M-21 was more open with who did what to him, where he's from, and what the hell went down, that'd be one major antagonist if not out of the way then fighting other antagonists at least. But they all keep super tight lipped on it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

One of my main problems with Noblesse is that if M-21 was more open with who did what to him, where he's from, and what the hell went down, that'd be one major antagonist if not out of the way then fighting other antagonists at least. But they all keep super tight lipped on it.

Yeah, all he has to do at this point is say "Crombell shoved a werewolf heart in me and I escaped a while ago" and this guy is going to tell people and probably check it out. Like he doesn't even have to believe M-21 or anything, he'd probably say it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, all he has to do at this point is say "Crombell shoved a werewolf heart in me and I escaped a while ago" and this guy is going to tell people and probably check it out. Like he doesn't even have to believe M-21 or anything, he'd probably say it.

There were multiple other points too... pretty much every time they fight anyone ever, they're like 'Who made you guys? Why do you exist?' and every time it's in the middle of something happening that would make Crombel look super supicious. But no one ever says anything..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One potential issue with Noblesse is that the author has sort of written himself into a corner where it seems like the Union (which is supposed to be the Big Bad) is fighting an uphill battle. At this point we have the Union - which has already lost a couple of its elders - against the entire vampire nobility + our protagonists. And given that it looks like the werewolves are going to go against the Union at some point, I don't really see how the "good guys" are particularly threatened. It's still entertaining regardless, and I imagine Crombell is just going to pull something out of his rear end to become a bigger threat.