Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

a cartoon duck posted:

So I'm guessing the the other nine spots are for the other eight items and for doing it without items at all. How nice of ZUN to put in achievements for that one obsessive weirdo that decides to beat all impossible spellcards without cheating.

Yep. I saw the description for the "clear all scenes without items" one and as far as I could tell with google translate, it calls your accomplishment "a load of crap".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Come to think of it, it is awfully fitting that the final achievement is beating all scenes without cheating, and the only way to get it is to cheat.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I think the Jizo and the Lantern are maybe the only items you can clear every scene with. The jizo I've done, and the lantern I'm working on, but it's a bit tougher.

10-4 really fucks up most of these, no way you're doing that poo poo with a camera.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I'm pretty sure a few people have gotten achievement 70 without cheating (unless you count using Orb/Doll sub). The only real obstacles are 10-4 and 10-7.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Come to think of it, it is awfully fitting that the final achievement is beating all scenes without cheating, and the only way to get it is to cheat.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I'm pretty sure a few people have gotten achievement 70 without cheating (unless you count using Orb/Doll sub). The only real obstacles are 10-4 and 10-7.

Heh, yeah, about that...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I think the Jizo and the Lantern are maybe the only items you can clear every scene with. The jizo I've done, and the lantern I'm working on, but it's a bit tougher

But did you tell ZUN you did it?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yo, any of you fools know of a large repository of non-h touhou stories? Preferably reasonably quickly translated and recent?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

WarpedNaba posted:

Yo, any of you fools know of a large repository of non-h touhou stories? Preferably reasonably quickly translated and recent?

Gensokyo.org

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody has translated anything from Zounose's circle for like half a year now.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Devour or Fire posted:

Nobody has translated anything from Zounose's circle for like half a year now.

The ICARUS manga was recently translated on danbooru.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Gensokyo.org

Doesn't seem to have a selection much different from touhouwiki.net

Thanks though.

Shinmera posted:

The ICARUS manga was recently translated on danbooru.

Korean internet blocks danbooru :argh:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Korean internet blocks danbooru :argh:

Have you tried using its mirror site?(I don't know if there's still any bad ads there but in case there are then take care clicking that link) I've had that work for me in places where the regular version is blocked.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nope, get the usual crap by the KCSC.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Doesn't seem to have a selection much different from touhouwiki.net

Thanks though.

They're affiliated. They have a reader though, which is always nice.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=43625531

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat I have never been a Spongebob fan but that is just fantastic.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

There is no explanation for why I find this as amusing as I do.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

I have no idea why each character is attached to the other, but I am okay with that.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

Hey, it's LYX! This isn't entirely itemless though - he couldn't figure out 6-5, 9-1, 10-4, 10-5 and 10-7. There's also a much more consistent method to 7-4 than taking it head on like he does in the video. Strats for these...

6-5: The extreme right edge of the screen on the bottom half, and the left edge on the top half, are about 90% safe from the "bite" jellybean bullets. Lasers and white shots will still murder you and sometimes the jellybeans kill you anyway, but with some luck it's doable.
7-4: The brown lasers form a consistent safespot where many of them turn early, around an inch in diagonally from the bottom corner on whatever side is currently descending. Get in the safespot and then move in an outwards and upwards direction and you'll dodge any horizontal lasers as well. I realize "an inch" is not a very useful measurement but if you know about the spot and just look for it you'll see it easily.
9-1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgYrDC--7g This is how you do it, but despite what the video author claims, it's neither easy nor consistent. He got incredibly perfect luck on that run, with Kanako never moving far away from the center and always shooting the fast yellow jellybeans around rather than at him. These are rare occurrences, enough that I haven't captured it myself yet... but this is how you do it.
10-4: ??????? be praying and attitude for gains. If you manage to get into the death spiral, the rotation speed along the bottom edge is slightly slower than your focused movement. There's one video on nico of someone supposedly doing it, but they stay way too close to Remi in the initial phases and then make some crazy back and forth dodges in the deathspiral before beginning to rotate it so I think it's probably TAS. As far as I know no one else has done this legit yet.
10-5: Huge pain in the butt, I haven't captured it yet but it's clearly possible. The first wave should be free, its white bullets are initially aimed at you, while the red bullets are in a random alignment. (Each subwave in both this and the second wave are aligned, so once you find a spot safe from both white and red you can freeze there and the entire wave will miss.) The second wave can be done either by praying for luck at bottom center (gets more damage) or by going underneath the bullet spawn point on one side, aligning yourself between that side's bullets where they're going straight down, and then moving vertically if necessary to dodge the other side. The third wave has no trick and is not consistently aligned as far as I know, just an execution test. Probably you must take that towards a corner as the fourth wave spawns immediately and similarly has no trick that I know of. Ideally one would do enough damage to skip having to dodge the third wave again.
10-7: The (relatively) sane method for this is to dodge high and to the sides on the top half of the screen, going to whichever side has the lower red ball spawn and hoping not to get walled by cards. If you see a decent gap in the cards you can usually run into a gap in the lasers. Theoretically. You'll want doll subweapon, run under Miko between waves for damage, or try to sit on her head if you don't mind losing runs to ramming her. I captured it this way, which I am proud of... and it took 2094 attempts, minus a few for my initial item use clear. The winning run survives 11 waves. There is also a nico vid of someone clearing it at the bottom of the screen, it jerks around a lot and is by the same guy as the 10-4 run which reinforces my opinion that neither of those runs are legit. Although I hear a couple other players are claiming to have won by sitting on the bottom and being extremely lucky so what do I know.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So, only 7 months late I finally finished the next chapter of Forbidden Scrollery. Or two. With the help of leather fedora. They're on the wiki if anyone cares.

Chapter 12: In which the events of DDC have unexpected side effects on Kosuzu's shop.
Chapter 13: In which the unexpected side effects have unexpected side effects. Featuring Marisa.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Clarste posted:

So, only 7 months late I finally finished the next chapter of Forbidden Scrollery. Or two. With the help of leather fedora. They're on the wiki if anyone cares.

Chapter 12: In which the events of DDC have unexpected side effects on Kosuzu's shop.
Chapter 13: In which the unexpected side effects have unexpected side effects. Featuring Marisa.

Those were neat, thanks!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's a side effect of the miracle mallet.

When DDC came out I really wasn't too hot on Shinmyoumaru's character design, but Moe Harukawa really makes it work. Meanwhile nobody can make Kokoro's skirt work, I still wonder what ZUN was on when he designed that.

Shame that Marisa's snake-dragon pal wasn't included in the omake though, he was probably my favourite part of the second volume. Speaking of Marisa, anyone else think she was a bit ice-cold at the end of the last chapter there? I think that was the first proper youkai extermination with the shadow bear there, rather than a youkai "extermination". Usually the protagonists just rough 'em up a bit and that's that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Kokoro's skirt is the best, don't hate the poofy emotions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Speaking of Marisa, anyone else think she was a bit ice-cold at the end of the last chapter there?

I tried to rewrite her as a stoic cowboy badass but leather fedora silently vetoed it. Probably because it looked like a mistranslation.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

^^^ I wouldn't have the first idea what the original Japanese said, but I'd say Leather Fedora made the right call there. It's just a bit unusual for Touhou stuff really.

Speaking of Kokoro, I wonder if everyone will just have her keep a blank expression on her own face at all times from now own. Wasn't the whole point of her story mode in Hopeless Masquerade that she learned facial expressions to affirm her own identity and not just either go berserk and return to inanimate objects or whatever?

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 22, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it was implied that this would take a long time. Given that she's a youkai, maybe decades or centuries. She's making baby steps, but not enough to function normally within the scope of the story we'll see.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Clarste posted:

I think it was implied that this would take a long time. Given that she's a youkai, maybe decades or centuries.
Youkai can get a power boost to speed it up. Magical artifact, blessing of God, get worshiped to class-change to god, eat a hermit/saint, etc.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I need good, Reimu-centric mang recs STAT.

(good also means that Reimu cannot get owned, because reimu getting owned is against my headcanon)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wild and Horned Hermit is basically all about Reimu's crazy "get-faith-quick" schemes no matter how much it wants to pretend to be about Kasen, it's basically a must-read for Reimu fans.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Shifting things to correct opinions, where can I see Marisa gently caress poo poo up and Own everyone else.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's basically Forbidden Scrollery. I get the impression ZUN made the conscious decision to evenly split the limelight for the two protagonists between his two current mangas, so WaHH is generally more Reimu-centric and FS is generally more Marisa-centric. Just an impression though, I'm not exactly gonna check the total amount of time on-panel each character has in each manga.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit is basically all about Reimu's crazy "get-faith-quick" schemes no matter how much it wants to pretend to be about Kasen, it's basically a must-read for Reimu fans.

She does end up getting owned a fair bit, although Kasen explains that you can tell when this is about to happen because she gets cocky as hell.

Sukuna's house is the most adorable godsdamned thing, it's like a luxury hamster hotel.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Clarste posted:

I tried to rewrite her as a stoic cowboy badass but leather fedora silently vetoed it. Probably because it looked like a mistranslation.
I kinda saw where you were going with it, and admittedly that part was vague enough that it could've gone either way, but I felt that she needed to show a little more concern about the well-being of the other humans.

What stuck out to me most though was Remilia using English. I figured it would be French (or even Romanian, given her supposed lineage).

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 23, 2014

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

a cartoon duck posted:

When DDC came out I really wasn't too hot on Shinmyoumaru's character design, but Moe Harukawa really makes it work. Meanwhile nobody can make Kokoro's skirt work, I still wonder what ZUN was on when he designed that.
Part of that is due to how bad Shinmyomaru's art is in-game, even for ZUN. Fanartists figured out pretty quick that her original design works fine if drawn with human proportions:

leather fedora posted:

What stuck out to me most though was Remilia using English. I figured it would be French (or even Romanian, given her supposed lineage).
Probably a reference to Dracula, who emigrated to England.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 23, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Part of that is due to how bad Shinmyomaru's art is in-game, even for ZUN. Fanartists figured out pretty quick that her original design works fine if drawn with human proportions:

Probably a reference to Dracula, who emigrated to England.

Oh sweet, Terajin art.

Also yeah, if Remilia was around about 500 years ago she would have been given serious schooling in languages provided her mansion is a good indicator of family wealth. Elizabeth the first knew most of the major languages of the era (Save for Russian, and her Italian was 'adequate'). As what I presume a noblewoman, Remilia should know at least three or four.

Doesn't explain her knowledge of modern English, but eh

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 23, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Fun fact about that Sukuna pic, that was drawn a few days after the Touhou Wiki decided "inchling" was the best way to translate "kobito". (I personally went with gnome but inchling was my second choice, but I digress.) I just thought it was neat how even the JP community looks to it for English translations of titles and stuff.

Even if Remilia knows multiple languages, the fact that she chose English over everything else (including Japanese) is pretty interesting.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 23, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not like we made up the term. As I recall it was used in some existing translation of the Issun Boshi story.

The out-of-universe explanation for Remilia favoring English is that it's probably the foreign language most familiar to ZUN. The in-universe explanation would be that Scarlet is an English word?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

leather fedora posted:

Even if Remilia knows multiple languages, the fact that she chose English over everything else (including Japanese) is pretty interesting.

My take on usage of English by a "foreign" character is that English is probably the foreign language the writer is the most familiar with and the easiest default choice.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Doesn't explain her knowledge of modern English, but eh

Wasn't Gensokyo created in the late 19th century or something? Even if Remilia wasn't always in touch with the outside world I'm pretty sure people spoke Modern English by then, even if it's not contemporary Modern English. Plus in the Chupacabre she's said to be a collector of unique stuff from all over the outside world with a mystery supplier so it's not that far-fetched she has her finger on the pulse of language and stuff like that.

'course as Hokuto and Clarste already said English was picked because the author (the afterword makes it sound like Moe Harukawa wrote the side-comics?) and the main Japanese readership is familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gensokyo's been "a place filled with youkai, deep in the mountains" for longer than that, but the magical barrier that separates it physically was put up in the 1880s or whatever. Remilia moved in after that anyway though. She's a recent immigrant.