Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kurtofan posted:

NFC technology (Skylanders, Disney Infinity) to be used in Smash Bros Wii U, according to an interview with Nintendo France's CEO:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823474

"E3 will give us the opportunity to show NFC technology used with Nintendo consoles. NFC will be used with the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros."

This may be the dumbest thing they could have integrated to Smash Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TaurusOxford posted:

This may be the dumbest thing they could have integrated to Smash Brothers.

Smash Bros is already about figurines battling each other out, I'm not sure how it's the dumbest thing. Also it's a potential gold mine.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 22, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, it depends on your definition of "dumb." It's a cash grab and I've never been interested it, nor do I have room for the clutter of figurines.

If they're going to implement them, though, Smash is unfortunately the game to do it with, along with, perhaps Mario Kart and the sports games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

They edited it, it used to be "Octobre", glad they fixed it.

Lousy Octobre weather!

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

NFC technology (Skylanders, Disney Infinity) to be used in Smash Bros Wii U, according to an interview with Nintendo France's CEO:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823474

"E3 will give us the opportunity to show NFC technology used with Nintendo consoles. NFC will be used with the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros."

Looks like that Waluigi statue behind Sakurai was likely a NFC statue then huh? :sparkles:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tiggs posted:

Looks like that Waluigi statue behind Sakurai was likely a NFC statue then huh? :sparkles:

That's a bit of a leap. Sakurai strikes me as a dude that just likes to have some toys around.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tiggs posted:

Is that even a statue? It looks more like a small plush doll to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Is that even a statue? It looks more like a small plush doll to me.
Yeah, it's pretty clearly fuzzy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Whenever I see a post ending in :sparkles: I take it seriously too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

forbidden lesbian posted:

Whenever I see a post ending in :sparkles: I take it seriously too.

Why would I doubt a post handed down by a pretty princess?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It says in this month's game informer that the Skylanders toys outsold every major action figure line on the market, so they are indeed uber gangbusterbucks and Nintendo would probably like to continue choking every penny from kids for their ability to play punchmanz games.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

That's a bit of a leap. Sakurai strikes me as a dude that just likes to have some toys around.

I believe Sakurai tends to use action figures and nendoroids for poses for such to use in Smash.
He tweeted a pic once showing off a battle between Pit, Charizard, Ness and Dark Pit I believe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not super into DLC, but if the Smash Bros equivalent was to give me a playable Jeff Andonuts, with a nice-quality real-world figurine of Jeff Andonuts, I'd probably buy all the DLC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People have talked about Sami getting Snake's move set if he doesn't make it, but it would sure work for Jeff as well. The mortars and missiles would just be different kinds of bottle rockets. Up B would be bubble monkey.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Gonna have to hold off on getting Mario Kart, free game or no, until after they drop the details on these figurines. If they're just for transferring movesets or unlocking characters that you could unlock anyway in game I can deal. I would also be okay with it if they had a full roster in the game, and a few extra characters that are basically physical DLC.

But if it's as extensive as I fear than my WiiU will be sold for whatever I can get for it by mid-summer. There's just not enough coming that I care enough about to justify owning the bloody thing if my surefire "me and my buddies will play this for years" game goes full-skylanders.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Octopode posted:

So, there is no way that these aren't going to end up at least in the Wii U version of the game, is there?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/07/nintendo-plans-its-own-nfc-compatible-figures-and-games-for-laun/

Perhaps somehow related to the assist trophies being somewhat more important this time around or the fact that details on the Wii U's potential exclusive mode were so scarce during the Direct presentation?

Just wanted to say I called this a few weeks ago as soon as the figures were announced. It's just too obvious a move for Nintendo to pass up.

Now, the real wailing and gnashing of teeth time: is the inclusion of figure support the reason the Wii U version is delayed over the 3DS version?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

THE loving MOON posted:

But if it's as extensive as I fear than my WiiU will be sold for whatever I can get for it by mid-summer. There's just not enough coming that I care enough about to justify owning the bloody thing if my surefire "me and my buddies will play this for years" game goes full-skylanders.

Gamers would riot. I really don't think they'd ever go that far.

I mean can you even imagine the poo poo fit the tournament scene would throw?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamers would riot. I really don't think they'd ever go that far.

I mean can you even imagine the poo poo fit the tournament scene would throw?

I don't think Nintendo would be able to hear them over the sound of all the cash pouring into a Scrooge McDuck money vault :signings:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

Gonna have to hold off on getting Mario Kart, free game or no, until after they drop the details on these figurines. If they're just for transferring movesets or unlocking characters that you could unlock anyway in game I can deal. I would also be okay with it if they had a full roster in the game, and a few extra characters that are basically physical DLC.

You could just... not get the figurines? There's no way they're going to make it a 'you start with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu and have to buy figurines for everyone else' thing. They've already said the rosters will be the same, so at the very least all the characters in the 3DS version will be in the Wii U version by default.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

You could just... not get the figurines? There's no way they're going to make it a 'you start with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu and have to buy figurines for everyone else' thing. They've already said the rosters will be the same, so at the very least all the characters in the 3DS version will be in the Wii U version by default.

I won't either way.

Now that I think about it, they have been making efforts to appease the pro-scene. I doubt they'd go so far as to require 15 $10 figurines to get the full roster.

Still worried though, cant wait for E3 if for no other reason than to lay my fears to rest.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

If I had to guess, the figurines' uses in Smash will likely be limited to things like storing and transporting your customized movesets for characters, saving your stats and records for use across multiple consoles, and potentially custom stages if that ends up being a thing again. I don't see any way Nintendo hides any of the roster or even any potential DLC characters behind a figurine paywall (as opposed to a digital paywall).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It will probably be something on the level of the AR cards in Kid Icarus. "You're gonna need to buy figurines to unlock fighters!!!" is a paranoid conclusion to jump to.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If I had to guess, the figurines' uses in Smash will likely be limited to things like storing and transporting your customized movesets for characters, saving your stats and records for use across multiple consoles, and potentially custom stages if that ends up being a thing again. I don't see any way Nintendo hides any of the roster or even any potential DLC characters behind a figurine paywall (as opposed to a digital paywall).

Let's hope they don't do something ridiculous like give out an exclusive Dr.Mario figure at E3.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

It will probably be something on the level of the AR cards in Kid Icarus. "You're gonna need to buy figurines to unlock fighters!!!" is a paranoid conclusion to jump to.

I really don't think it is. They did after all get the idea from a pair of franchises that do exactly that- and make a killing doing it.

I don't know. We'll see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They might sell DLC characters that way, but the full roster from the 3DS version will be intact on the Wii U version. That's a fact. I would bet any amount of money on it, because it's so blindingly obvious.

EDIT: Maybe sell alt-costumes that way? Like a Skyward Sword Link figurine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They would have announced parts of the roster being locked behind a paywall well before now if they were going to do something like that.

I mean, yeah, anything' possible, but I don't think Nintendo would be THAT DUMB. They've made wacky business decisions in the past, but a full on boneheaded move like going "full skylanders" with one of their flagship titles seems really unlikely.

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Maybe sell alt-costumes that way? Like a Skyward Sword Link figurine.

Yeah, this is what I'm expecting. Alt costumes, maybe some kind of in-game unlock of stuff that's already there, like stages or characters without having to meet the regular requirements.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i bet they'll hide the whole game behind these figures like you get a trohpy? oh too bad you can't view it until you've bought the figure for it! Wanna use Luigi's side b move? gotta have the right figure for that!! Oh it misfires? Gotta have that figure too!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lessail posted:

i bet they'll hide the whole game behind these figures like you get a trohpy? oh too bad you can't view it until you've bought the figure for it! Wanna use Luigi's side b move? gotta have the right figure for that!! Oh it misfires? Gotta have that figure too!!!
this is bullshit! i can't play smash brothers without dropping 60 bucks on a stupid floppy figure? It doesn't even stand up straight, it's just a flat circle!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lessail posted:

The new Kid Icarus game is going to be Free to Pray.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
in fact the new smash is just the wiiu gamepad making a stop motion animation of you playing with the figures

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Due to ESRB regulations, we cannot show graphic violence in our game. Instead, Mario beating up Kirby will be simulated by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbyx0PephX0

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The customized movesets seems like the most obvious thing, since Skylanders figures have little chips in them that store the character's stats and levels and stuff.

Think about it, kid custom-tailors Link's moveset at his home, downloads it to his super-cool Link figurine, brings Link figurine over to friend's house, they bash their Link and Sonic figurines against each other for a bit before sitting down and plopping their figurines on the gamepad* and bam, now they can use their custom movesets against each other. That's exactly the thing Skylanders does, except Skylanders doesn't let you play as the character if you don't have the figurine, and I highly doubt Nintendo would follow suit.

*I may be mistaken on this, but I could have sworn the Gamepad has NFC communication. If it does and they do it right, you probably won't even have to buy a "portal of power" or some poo poo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

*I may be mistaken on this, but I could have sworn the Gamepad has NFC communication. If it does and they do it right, you probably won't even have to buy a "portal of power" or some poo poo.

It does. The NFC receiver is right underneath the D-pad. They used it for Pokémon Rumble U already! :eng101:

e:

THE loving MOON posted:

Isn't there an NFC reader for the 3DS on the way?

This is true as well. Assuming this is the final design it's quite compact, too!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 22, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Isn't there an NFC reader for the 3DS on the way?

Edit: :ohdear:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 22, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The way that would make the most sense is that the reader and figures would be at most used for silly add on things.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If the figures ever contain DLC characters, they would be sure to put that DLC on the eshop too. One of the ideas Nintendo is playing around with this is having the figures be used in different games, and it makes zero sense to have multiple dlcs and extra content for many different games lock down to a figure without the option of getting that content from the eshop.

Its a possibility, but it is a bit crazy to get this paranoid immediately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Buy a Dr. Mario figurine, get Dr. Mario as a racer in Mario Kart and a fighter in Smash? Buy a Ghirahim figurine, get him as a character in Hyrule Warriors and a fighter in Smash?

Spitballing here.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Endorph posted:

Buy a Dr. Mario figurine, get Dr. Mario as a racer in Mario Kart and a fighter in Smash? Buy a Ghirahim figurine, get him as a character in Hyrule Warriors and a fighter in Smash?

Spitballing here.

I think playable characters are a little more substantial than we'll be seeing them do. More like buy a Pikachu figure, get a Pikachu statue in Smash Bros, get Pokeball wheels in Mario Kart, get a Pikachu Face texture for clothes and furniture in Animal Crossing, get a Pokemon Yellow racket in Mario Tennis, etc.

But there's really nothing to go on right now. The big thing would be tying their line of figures to as many games as possible without making it obnoxious for players to deal with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, if they want these to actually sell, they need to do something substantial. I doubt people will be rushing out to the store and begging their parents for Pikachu wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Wild Knight posted:

Fun fact: the reason Skylanders still uses a Portal on WiiU and not the WiiU gamepad (besides gameplay designs of keeping the figure on the portal) is that they actually use a modified NFC format that the WiiU gamepad wouldn't recognize!

• Locked thread