Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

I'm just sayin'.

A format with Partial Paris Mulligan where you can set up:

T1: Land, Mana Crypt, Coalition Relic
T2: Land, 6-drop

Is probably not a good idea. I mean, when you drop Consecrated Sphinx, Sire of Insanity, Frost Titan, Lurking Predators, or (best) Dovescape while your opponents are all on 1 land and Force of Will is 1 per deck (if even that many), it's probably not going to be much of a game.

But, yeah. Fast mana is fine. No problem. Your Mana Crypt might even hit you for 3 damage before everyone else concedes.

Awesome nut hand, bro, now reshuffle so we can play another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Toshimo posted:

I'm just sayin'.

A format with Partial Paris Mulligan where you can set up:

T1: Land, Mana Crypt, Coalition Relic
T2: Land, 6-drop

Is probably not a good idea. I mean, when you drop Consecrated Sphinx, Sire of Insanity, Frost Titan, Lurking Predators, or (best) Dovescape while your opponents are all on 1 land and Force of Will is 1 per deck (if even that many), it's probably not going to be much of a game.

But, yeah. Fast mana is fine. No problem. Your Mana Crypt might even hit you for 3 damage before everyone else concedes.

EDH is different things to different people. It's unsanctionable for a good reason; not everybody plays it like that, but most people will with prizes on the line.

EDIT:

Zoness posted:

Yeah and this statement is exactly why the current banlist is dumb - it's imposing the opinions of one group of players upon everyone that touches the format, specifically if you want to play it online.

I mean, obviously, if you and your pals want to ignore the banlist, you can. I feel like the online experience can be added to the list of reasons MODO is lovely.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

EDH is different things to different people.

Yeah and this statement is exactly why the current banlist is dumb - it's imposing the opinions of one group of players upon everyone that touches the format, specifically if you want to play it online.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

My opinion is that EDH is dumb and we shouldn't talk about it any more. I hereby impose my opinion on the thread. :dealwithit:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New Conspiracy cards:

Agent of Aquisitions is literally "I draft this entire pack" haha

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 22, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My opinion is that EDH is dumb and we shouldn't talk about it any more. I hereby impose my opinion on the thread. :dealwithit:

I bet if EDH talk were in it's own thread it would quickly plummet to the bottom of the forum. People only talk about EDH to complain about EDH being dumb.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I bet if EDH talk were in it's own thread it would quickly plummet to the bottom of the forum. People only talk about EDH to complain about EDH being dumb.

I would be okay with this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

EDH is different things to different people. It's unsanctionable for a good reason; not everybody plays it like that, but most people will with prizes on the line.

EDIT:

I mean, obviously, if you and your pals want to ignore the banlist, you can. I feel like the online experience can be added to the list of reasons MODO is lovely.

The whole point is that the banlist defines the format in ways that let you play with people outside your local playgroup. If I go to an event or store with strangers, we'll all be on the same page.

I don't gripe when I go to a Legacy event and play against Storm and Show and Tell. I don't throw a tantrum when I go play Standard and see Boros Aggro, Esper Control, and Devotion decks. Those are what the format dictates as legal, and I play to the format.

To see players go "No, Mana Crypt is just fine" and then 2 minutes later go "Oh you got a Mana Crypt nut draw, I scoop" is the most hyprocritical dumb turdlets of thought you can drop out of your mouth.

I'm ok with stuff like Coalition Victory and Sundering Titan being on the list for flavor reasons, and not balance, but to try and justify why stuff that just takes the game off the rails like Mana Crypt and Hermit Druid are still legal takes some serious logical contortionism.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Thank you. Thank you for bringing the EDH banlist thread to this forum, so you can tell us all that we play EDH wrong and are stupid if we don't play it like you do. I am so glad that you did this.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

EDH does one thing right, it allows you to have a deck "led" by someone. It really is an interesting flavor enhancing device that works quite well. Further the Highlander rule means that multiple games with the same deck should play out incredibly differently. Even with the partial paris rule.

EDH is a format that you aren't supposed to be playing to win. Unlike every other magic format, it is closer to playing an RPG, where you take on the role of your commander. It is a Timmy/Johnny/Vorthos format. Its supposed to be a long, social, game. And if everyone played that way, then a ban list would be unnecessary. Unfortunately, for EDH players, most "established" magic players, willing to shell out the bucks to play, are somewhat "spikish" and are trying to win, not just to do cool things.

The ban list isn't arbitrated by spikes, but by Timmys/Johnnys who remember the one unfun game. The banned list is ridiculous, it is unbalanced in the extreme, Sylvan Primordial is banned but not Necropotence? The banned list in EDH is trying to ban what Sheldon and company think is unfun. Not what is overly powerful, not what is dominant, but what is considered unfun.

However, there is a decently well balanced EDH banlist, and that is the French EDH banlist.

quote:

Ancestral Recall
Ancient Tomb
Balance
Back to Basics
Black Lotus
Channel
Crucible of Worlds
Gifts Ungiven
Grim Monolith
Grindstone
Hermit Druid
Humility
Imperial Seal
Karakas
Library of Alexandria
Loyal Retainers
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Mind Twist
Mishra’s Workshop
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Natural Order
Necropotence
Oath of Druids
Protean Hulk
Sensei’s Divining Top
Serra Ascendant
Shahrazad
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Time Vault
Time Walk
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Vampiric Tutor
Winter Orb
Yawgmoth’s Bargain

The following are banned as Commanders only:
Braids, Cabal Minion
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Zur the Enchanter

Is this list perfect? No, but it bans the cards that are egregiously overpowered in an eternal format. Yes Zur seems weird, but a there are some powerful enchantments out there like Eldrazi Conscription, that can just end a game, and being in the command zone makes these cards powerful.

tldr version: Edh is a cool format made to be played casually with winning being a necessary consequence of play, not a goal in and of itself. The banned list for it sucks, a more balanced one exists. Use the banned list that best suits the players in your group.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 22, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Does anyone know if the sources for some of the more oddball reprint choices for Conspiracy listed on mythicspoiler are legit? I'm looking through it and the smattering of common/uncommon reprints seems just random and all over the place. Things like Plated Seastrider and Courier Hawk just made me kinda go "huh?"

Most of those cards came from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09xnozP3gQ

If you look closely at the cards on the table and listen to what the players say, you can figure out reprints that were not specifically previewed.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

LordSaturn posted:

Thank you. Thank you for bringing the EDH banlist thread to this forum, so you can tell us all that we play EDH wrong and are stupid if we don't play it like you do. I am so glad that you did this.

Unbelievable that people would talk about one of the most popular Magic: the Gathering formats in the Magic: the Gathering discussion thread and the commonly contested ban list.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This is why I don't play Commander any more.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

This is why I don't play Commander any more.

I'm not a big fan of the format, but I like durdly control decks. So I built a deck that is just durdly control pieces with Oloro as the commander, and no ACTUAL way to win, outside attacking with Oloro. I get to play the type of game I want to play, and since I never win with the deck, no one really gets upset at my constant wrathing, countering and durdling.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Madmarker posted:

However, there is a decently well balanced EDH banlist, and that is the French EDH banlist.

Is this list perfect? No, but it bans the cards that are egregiously overpowered in an eternal format. Yes Zur seems weird, but a there are some powerful enchantments out there like Eldrazi Conscription, that can just end a game, and being in the command zone makes these cards powerful.

tldr version: Edh is a cool format made to be played casually with winning being a necessary consequence of play, not a goal in and of itself. The banned list for it sucks, a more balanced one exists. Use the banned list that best suits the players in your group.

Yeah. The French Banlist is a good place to start. There's a few things on there that aren't as relevant in multiplayer (Derevi, Edric, Mind Twist, and Serra Ascendant), but I'd be more likely to play with that banlist than the official one, if offered the choice.

Madmarker posted:

I'm not a big fan of the format, but I like durdly control decks. So I built a deck that is just durdly control pieces with Oloro as the commander, and no ACTUAL way to win, outside attacking with Oloro. I get to play the type of game I want to play, and since I never win with the deck, no one really gets upset at my constant wrathing, countering and durdling.

There is a very large subset of players that would absolutely hate you for playing that sort of durdly kingmaker deck and making an hour-long game a four hour slog. You are either incredibly lucky to have a playgroup like that or incredibly unaware of how bad you are irritating some of them.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

There is a very large subset of players that would absolutely hate you for playing that sort of durdly kingmaker deck and making an hour-long game a four hour slog. You are either incredibly lucky to have a playgroup like that or incredibly unaware of how bad you are irritating some of them.

Oh no, I am quite aware how pissed off some people would be. It isnt the only EDH deck I have, and I don't play it in random pick up games. But with the people I play most often, it is the one I tend to gravitate towards. The other deck is just a Nekusar wheels deck, no one hates drawing cards.

It is funny being the Nekusar player and having two other people in the pod playing group hug phelddagrif decks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

To see players go "No, Mana Crypt is just fine" and then 2 minutes later go "Oh you got a Mana Crypt nut draw, I scoop" is the most hyprocritical dumb turdlets of thought you can drop out of your mouth.

I was pointing out that your "Oh man what if I have THIS two-hand start" argument literally only happens only rarely, whereas the entire point of the Command Zone is to always play your Commander during the game (and is thus more open to exploitation as opposed to getting a perfect starting hand).

And the point of that comment wasn't to scoop, but that if a player gets that start AND somehow is able to sustain it with relevant cards, then that player has probably won the game. Have you never had a player get a nut hand and win the game in short order, and then agree to move on to another game? Jesus, buddy, I'm sorry Sheldon Menery and his EDH Illuminati literally murdered your entire family.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Its incredible how angry people who don't play EDH get about EDH.

I've got some competitive decks but they've been sitting on the shelf for months because I keep winning games with a 100% on theme God of the Sea deck. Never in my life have I ever been so happy playing Magic the Gathering as when all my removal spells are Waves and I kill everyone with krakens or whales. The best part is that no one gets to complain: I won one game only because I had a Walking Sponge in play; I defeated someone's smug Iona-naming-blue with a Chromeshell Crab. EDH makes me so happy now, gently caress all yall.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Madmarker posted:

I've never seen that list before, and it looks good. I wonder if my LGS would adopt that list though, since there are a few players that have decks that try to combo out an early win with things like Maze's End or whatever. That list would hit a couple of the cards in my deck as well but it's not like I'd give up on it because of that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Madmarker posted:

My Zur deck's win con is 21 commander damage, dealt one at a time. It's really good 1-on-1 and worthless in team games because everyone sees Zur and kills me right away.

My real win con is making sure my friend, who takes commander as seriously as I do, wins instead of the guys who min-max their decks and do their best to make sure nobody has fun but them.

It also has my only "infinite" combo in any of my decks: Mindslaver and Lethal Vapors. It's the only combo bad enough for me to play.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

bhsman posted:

I was pointing out that your "Oh man what if I have THIS two-hand start" argument literally only happens only rarely, whereas the entire point of the Command Zone is to always play your Commander during the game (and is thus more open to exploitation as opposed to getting a perfect starting hand).

And the point of that comment wasn't to scoop, but that if a player gets that start AND somehow is able to sustain it with relevant cards, then that player has probably won the game. Have you never had a player get a nut hand and win the game in short order, and then agree to move on to another game? Jesus, buddy, I'm sorry Sheldon Menery and his EDH Illuminati literally murdered your entire family.

The thing is that mana crypt is always nuts when it's in your opening hand. It's not some just nut combo draw. It's a really good card that accels you with zero tempo loss. It instantly puts you two turns ahead of the other players.

There's no merit to the argument that a card is okay because it's only broken when you draw it. It's especially weird considering that the moxen are banned, but sol ring and mana crypt aren't, when those are almost always better than moxen.

e: My favorite thing about the duelcommander banlist over the regular one is that grindstone is banned instead of painter's servant, as it should be.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 22, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Someone argue in favour of the hybrid mana ruling for EDH colour identity.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

No

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dr. Stab posted:

The thing is that mana crypt is always nuts when it's in your opening hand. It's not some just nut combo draw. It's a really good card that accels you with zero tempo loss. It instantly puts you two turns ahead of the other players. There's no merit to the argument that a card is okay because it's only broken when you draw it.

Not disagreeing (I'm fine with Sol Ring due to the fact that it's so easy to get a copy, but would prefer to see Crypt banned), but Toshimo's point was about how the format is broken because of entirely random nut draws? That's just dumb.

quote:

It's especially weird considering that the moxen are banned, but sol ring and mana crypt aren't, when those are almost always better than moxen.

I don't make the banlist, but I can chalk the Moxen bans up to just the name power of Power 9, so it feels fine.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Isn't that what already happens? :v:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'd be totally down with Commander as a format if it went by the Modern legality/ban conventions. Sure you'd lose some neat commanders like Lord of Tresserhorn and Phelddagrif, but you'd scrape out most of the degenerate stuff that predates consistent R&D.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

What's that ruling? Is it how you can't use stuff with hybrid mana outside your colour identity?

redstormpopcorn posted:

I'd be totally down with Commander as a format if it went by the Modern legality/ban conventions. Sure you'd lose some neat commanders like Lord of Tresserhorn and Phelddagrif, but you'd scrape out most of the degenerate stuff that predates consistent R&D.

Most people I've talked to about EDH agree that a huge part of it is using cool older cards, for flavour or effects, and the huge card pool is a big draw of the format.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 22, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

bhsman posted:

Not disagreeing (I'm fine with Sol Ring due to the fact that it's so easy to get a copy, but would prefer to see Crypt banned), but Toshimo's point was about how the format is broken because of entirely random nut draws? That's just dumb.

It's broken if you want to break it. It really, really is. The key thing is to play with people who don't try to break it more or less than you do. That's what that 'social format' business is about.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Every commander argument comes down to the exact same thing: its a poo poo format when you play with poo poo people.

If you really must play with a bad group, you can always make your very own rear end in a top hat deck, tailored to your meta. Sometimes doing that gets people to build less stupid poo poo, if only to avoid your hosers.

If you have friends irl who are halfway decent people with a bit of creativity, its a fun format. That sounds like a tall order for most people here but there's a big community around me that meets the definition, sorry if yours doesn't.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

redstormpopcorn posted:

Some of the worst things you can do in this format involve newer cards, so that wouldn't actually work.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Every commander argument comes down to the exact same thing: its a poo poo format when you play with poo poo people.

If you really must play with a bad group, you can always make your very own rear end in a top hat deck, tailored to your meta. Sometimes doing that gets people to build less stupid poo poo, if only to avoid your hosers.

If you have friends irl who are halfway decent people with a bit of creativity, its a fun format. That sounds like a tall order for most people here but there's a big community around me that meets the definition, sorry if yours doesn't.

Yeah, this is pretty much the end all be all of the argument. My friends and I have fun on a weekly to semi-weekly basis between EDH and cube. Simple matter is that, like everything else, you have to pick good friends and if you have that, everything else follows just nicely. It's about like how you pick a D&D group.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
commander.jpg

e: Seriously, I have always said - just drink beer and play commander with buddies. Ban list? Lol.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Serperoth posted:

What's that ruling? Is it how you can't use stuff with hybrid mana outside your colour identity?

That you can't use a Kitchen Finks in mono-green or mono-white decks, yeah.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

It's about like how you pick a D&D group.

I would argue there is an incredibly strong correlation between people who like P&P RPGS and people who like EDH.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

No. Clearly my definition of fun is superior to your definition of fun.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Exactly this. Our playgroup have very creative ways to gently caress you over and a wide selection of them to choose from and we all do massive multiplayers or 2 or 3HG where you have to work as a team which is actually really fun.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Samael posted:

Exactly this. Our playgroup have very creative ways to gently caress you over and a wide selection of them to choose from and we all do massive multiplayers or 2 or 3HG where you have to work as a team which is actually really fun.

Do you ever play Emperor? I miss playing Emperor.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Brownhat posted:

Do you ever play Emperor? I miss playing Emperor.

We actually do :) but one EDH deck is usually emperor while the other two decks are in another format.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
The problem with EDH is it has too much variance. Like almost any format in any kind of game, it would benefit from scope reduction. An 'EDH Cube' or playgroup with a box of 8-15 premade decks that assume a certain power level is going to have way more fun with the game than a selection of randoms who are not trying to have fun the same way.

It is held up as the grand nostalgic social multiplayer big Timmy splashy fun time, but it's obvious the format is completely broken to bits.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sleep of Bronze posted:

That you can't use a Kitchen Finks in mono-green or mono-white decks, yeah.

I'll allow it. :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This reminds me that I need to put together a Type IV Stack for multiplayer pickup games.

• Locked thread