Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i gave the Agilent INA-10386 MMIC a try, it's a more robust design than the Mini-Circuits types, just apply a bias current through a resistor and get 25 dB gain at 1.5 GHz, no problems achieving that either. i used a Tusonix ceramic pi filter after that as a choke

unfortunately the higher noise figure (~3dB) combined with the insertion loss of the 1090 MHz filter I built (~2 dB) in made my ADS-B station perform much worse with it connected. I guess if I had a much lossier coax feed and possibly less GSM interference it would add up, but with 50 cm of RG-405 to the GP antenna the system performs about as well as it can without needing a LNA

also did some experiments with a interdigital 1090 filter using copper tape on FR-4 but that didn't really work at all. might try to calculate the values ahead of time instead of eyeballing it next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:ducksiren: :siren: :pcgaming: THE FUTURE IS NOW :pcgaming: :siren: :ducksiren:

http://hackaday.com/2014/05/12/oinker-is-twitter-for-hams/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
got to go HAM / callsign like a motherfucker / let these niggaz know who i am

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
did some range testing yesterday using a cross band repeater at my apartment, turns out my suspicion that 70cm is better than 2m for urban environments was definitely true, 70cm signal was much stronger at both receive and transmit at 1-2 kms range

definitely buying a 70cm packet radio to run my hotspot from now on, vhf isn't a good choice for where I live

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i love that this isn't archives yet :D

So i've been busy over the past month or so.

We have obvious news (if you've read job thread you know)

I now have THE ULTIMATE MOBILE HAM POSTING STATION

We will be documenting the radio and tech build, along with renovations.

Initial thoughts:

-37 feet overall length, taking in the cab slope, probably right around 33 feet along the roofline. That fits a 20 meter dipole front to back.
-Art Bell's is about like this size and he runs a loop up there, on like 3' standoffs
-In motion, we cannot have ANY additional height. this thing's 12'6" or so and 13' is the federal limit. So everything will need to either ride low or be extendible/pivoting to deploy and pack up. This isn't as much of a problem as you think, as only the frame of the motorhome is aluminum, the skin is fiberglass so it's not going to interfere that much.
-House battery bank is 2x6v 120 Ah lead-acid footbreakers. Not sure of condition. That's a LOT of Field Daying.

Love you guys, thanks for keeping the lights on while I've been off being weird.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 22, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

archives are hosed and there's a real chance the thread will simply disappear if it goes to archives, so i think we should keep bumping this until archives are fixed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

basically :justpost:

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Initial thoughts:

-37 feet overall length, taking in the cab slope, probably right around 33 feet along the roofline. That fits a 20 meter dipole front to back.
-Art Bell's is about like this size and he runs a loop up there, on like 3' standoffs
-In motion, we cannot have ANY additional height. this thing's 12'6" or so and 13' is the federal limit. So everything will need to either ride low or be extendible/pivoting to deploy and pack up. This isn't as much of a problem as you think, as only the frame of the motorhome is aluminum, the skin is fiberglass so it's not going to interfere that much.
-House battery bank is 2x6v 120 Ah lead-acid footbreakers. Not sure of condition. That's a LOT of Field Daying.

Love you guys, thanks for keeping the lights on while I've been off being weird.

this is awesome. congrats

my wife and i were just talking about buying a class C motorhome in a few years.

i've been lurking on the old fart RV ham forums, some RV hamshacks are :stare:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Initial thoughts:

nice!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Living the American Dream. :patriot:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
do u need a different class license or smth to drive that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nope not at all :D

so

here's a few things that i'm looking at refurbishing it with, after we dump a few hundred into a tuneup and hardwood flooring/new curtains:

200w solar kit. this doesnt like let us run the a/c all day, but will really stretch out the battery bank and give us much longer runtime between generator runs

i'm also replacing the awful power converter (converts 120v generator or shore power to 12V to power the 12v house circuits and charge the batteries) with modern switching tech - this bad boy is a smart 3-state charger that will baby my batteries and give up to 55 amps of 12VDC all day long - clean and regulated, unlike the stock power converter, which is pretty much just a transformer with diodes on the rear end end. No filtering at all.

those will all work super hard to power four of these:

the trojan t105 is one of the workhorse RV deep cycle batteries. it's old school, you pull the caps and add distilled water and blah blah. your reward for doing this weekly maintenance is a battery that gives enormous capacity for 5-10 years if properly charged and not drained too far

oh and hanging off that we'll have:

100W pure sine wave inverter. i will be adding new outlets up by the TV/entertainment center, one up by the kitchen table, one in the wiring closet, and one back in the bedroom. They'll run to a little aux breaker box hanging off the inverter. The idea is to not buy a ginormous inverter thats capable of running the washer and coffee maker and TV all at once, but just to have separate circuits for low power draw stuff that needs clean juice. This also cleanly solves the 'phantom power' problem that most consumer electronics has, because the inverter has a remote power switch that I'll mount up by the control panel - cut it off, all the TV's and wall warts get cut hard.

on top of this i'm allocating 500 bucks or so for various wiring, switches, meters and monitors. i'm throwing a cisco AP in here for wifi access, will be running my Synology (need a couple new hard drives) and get a 4G hotspot.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 26, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

nope not at all :D

so

here's a few things that i'm looking at refurbishing it with, after we dump a few hundred into a tuneup and hardwood flooring/new curtains:

200w solar kit. this doesnt like let us run the a/c all day, but will really stretch out the battery bank and give us much longer runtime between generator runs

i'm also replacing the awful power converter (converts 120v generator or shore power to 12V to power the 12v house circuits and charge the batteries) with modern switching tech - this bad boy is a smart 3-state charger that will baby my batteries and give up to 55 amps of 12VDC all day long - clean and regulated, unlike the stock power converter, which is pretty much just a transformer with diodes on the rear end end. No filtering at all.

those will all work super hard to power four of these:

the trojan t105 is one of the workhorse RV deep cycle batteries. it's old school, you pull the caps and add distilled water and blah blah. your reward for doing this weekly maintenance is a battery that gives enormous capacity for 5-10 years if properly charged and not drained too far

oh and hanging off that we'll have:

100W pure sine wave inverter. i will be adding new outlets up by the TV/entertainment center, one up by the kitchen table, one in the wiring closet, and one back in the bedroom. They'll run to a little aux breaker box hanging off the inverter. The idea is to not buy a ginormous inverter thats capable of running the washer and coffee maker and TV all at once, but just to have separate circuits for low power draw stuff that needs clean juice. This also cleanly solves the 'phantom power' problem that most consumer electronics has, because the inverter has a remote power switch that I'll mount up by the control panel - cut it off, all the TV's and wall warts get cut hard.

on top of this i'm allocating 500 bucks or so for various wiring, switches, meters and monitors. i'm throwing a cisco AP in here for wifi access, will be running my Synology (need a couple new hard drives) and get a 4G hotspot.

plz photoblog the entire process or @ least take pics along the way i'm super excited to see this materialize

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah we're going to do a blog and youtube series on the whole thing, hell, maybe i can get some blog hits + buzz about the whole thing and somebody will throw me a neat job opp or something

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
jonny love and the preacher's rv

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Radio Free Colorado with your host Jonny290

yospos bithc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

this is probably a good converter b/c it doesn't have a fancy enclosure

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

spankmeister posted:

this is probably a good converter b/c it doesn't have a fancy enclosure

true, all good electronics are designed to rack mount some way or another

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, to update this thread, we got the RV, internal reno starts now

We're sourcing our deep cycle batts from Sam's Club, curiously - they rate almost as good as the Trojan industry standards, and are 30 bucks less each. 4x 6volt 220 AH capacity. So, 12V, 440 AH = 5280 watt-hours of power at full discharge (but you don't want to discharge below 50% at all, and 75% if you can help it)

The RV has a Winegard analog TV antenna that cranks up with a little knob on the ceiling. It's fuckin adorable and I am going to wire it up to the new TVs for OTA HD.

Not sure on the ham angle, I don't know if I want to build my station more around the driver's cab, or elsewhere.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Not sure on the ham angle, I don't know if I want to build my station more around the driver's cab, or elsewhere.
when i was daydreaming about this the other day i figured id get something with a removable head like an ic-7000 857d or something. I would mount the actual radio in the back of the rv where my "main station" would be but I would also run a couple of cat 5s and an audio cable from that position up to the cab so I could take the mic and control head up there where I can stick it on a semi-permanent mount when i'm mobile.

i don;t know what the max distance for the cat v run could be but i've heard of people making them pretty long. don't know how practical it is, haven't thought it all the way through.

edit: looks like the ic-7000 uses some stupid proprietary icom Moon Cable

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 30, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I still say you need to build a long-wire shortwave antenna with a balloon and a hydrogen generator

bonus points if you hook it up to a linear amp and make the balloon explode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dijkstra posted:

when i was daydreaming about this the other day i figured id get something with a removable head like an ic-7000 857d or something. I would mount the actual radio in the back of the rv where my "main station" would be but I would also run a couple of cat 5s and an audio cable from that position up to the cab so I could take the mic and control head up there where I can stick it on a semi-permanent mount when i'm mobile.

i don;t know what the max distance for the cat v run could be but i've heard of people making them pretty long. don't know how practical it is, haven't thought it all the way through.

edit: looks like the ic-7000 uses some stupid proprietary icom Moon Cable

that's exactly what i did with my bmw. First, I ran 3 runs of cat5 between the dash and the trunk, then I soldered a male USB pigtail to my IC-208's control head contacts, and a female to the radio's contacts. Then I took another USB extension, wired them to four wires of one of the cat5 runs, speaker on another pair, and hooked it up. Used another cat5 run for the microphone - it's fortunately rj45 anyways so, super easy. just wire it straight through, no need for twist fuckery it's low frequency digital and analog

e: i'd love to at least run coax/power to the front position so i can pop my 735 up there (and eventually get a 706) and run some HF mobile, this is my one chance for HF mobile glory and i dont want to squander it lol

atomicthumbs posted:

I still say you need to build a long-wire shortwave antenna with a balloon and a hydrogen generator

bonus points if you hook it up to a linear amp and make the balloon explode

you mean the lead-acid batteries in my basement that generate hydrogen all day? :D

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

i just got a rtl-sdr, hooked it up and i'm able to get local FM radio. is there a list of commonly used frequencies or interesting things to check out? just scanned through 100-600mhz without seeing much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
radioreference.com is your new bible, they should have a frequency guide for your area

general areas of interest:

88-108 FM
108-138 (AM mode) aircraft
144-148 2 meter ham (look around 146-147)
148-160 old public service systems, small town cops
160-162 is rail iirc
162.4 is where you'll start to see weather stations

theres a big military band from like 230-380, if you're near a base you will find things

then 440-450 is 70cm ham
450-470 is the UHF public service, lots of cops etc, taxis, so on

then not much until you get up into 700 and 800 MHz, you will find modern public service there, often digital

928-950 is where I found all the remote uplinks for the local FM stations (use FM wide)

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

I finally caved in and bought a HF upconverter for my SDR dongle, I ended up with a japanese design which fits a small R820t dongle inside a box with the mixer and has a manual gain control.

as expected my reception is still pretty poo poo, mostly picks up shortwave radio stations, that signal at 12195 kHz is apparently a russian diplomatic station

(un)fortunately the designer seems to have been unaware of the amount of conducted emissions noise a USB 5V rail has, when I powered it directly from the computer the noise was so bad I could barely hear anything at all, moving to a usb hub provides cleaner power, but I'll have to build a noise filter into the USB cable for this to work well. i should have some TDK ACH32C-104 filters left over at work that I can hack into the cable tomorrow

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i feel like i should have a ham license or w/e

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

i feel like i should have a ham license or w/e

do it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what are the resources i should check out and how much does it cost and poo poo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
r u American?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes :911:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
there's 3 exams technician general extra. u can take all 3 in one sitting. extra is rly hard tech is ezpz and general is kinda difficult but not too bad and a good target to shoot for. that's what I've got. it's like :tenbux: or smth like that and hamstudy.org is what I used. the question pool is published by the FCC so that hamstudy site just breaks it down and uses flash cards and keeps track of what u get right and wrong, there's lots of free resources out there that are good, it's just whatever works for u

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
General is good cause it opens up a lot of spectrum for u to transmit on. extra opens more, but as I was saying it's not an easy test to pass

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

radioreference.com is your new bible, they should have a frequency guide for your area

general areas of interest:

cool stuff

i forgot to thank you for this, i've found a few cool things already.

my initial scan didn't find anything besides broadcast FM, but once i found the rtl gain setting was able pick up quite a lot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

there's 3 exams technician general extra. u can take all 3 in one sitting. extra is rly hard tech is ezpz and general is kinda difficult but not too bad and a good target to shoot for. that's what I've got. it's like :tenbux: or smth like that and hamstudy.org is what I used. the question pool is published by the FCC so that hamstudy site just breaks it down and uses flash cards and keeps track of what u get right and wrong, there's lots of free resources out there that are good, it's just whatever works for u

started ham studying .orging last night got like 35% of the way through the flash cards for technician, was getting ~90% of them on the first try. bits i didnt know the most are the TLAs and poo poo involving callsigns. ee stuff was refreshingly trivial which was nice

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

started ham studying .orging last night got like 35% of the way through the flash cards for technician, was getting ~90% of them on the first try. bits i didnt know the most are the TLAs and poo poo involving callsigns. ee stuff was refreshingly trivial which was nice

ya see the nice thing is u can go back and just ignore the ee stuff and focus on the rules. theres a bunch of dumb poo poo u just have to rote memorize like 'when is the only time its acceptable to transmit music on ham freqs?' a: when incidental to the authorized re-transmission of the ISS

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

ya see the nice thing is u can go back and just ignore the ee stuff and focus on the rules. theres a bunch of dumb poo poo u just have to rote memorize like 'when is the only time its acceptable to transmit music on ham freqs?' a: when incidental to the authorized re-transmission of the ISS

:wtc:

does this mean i cant sing on ham? f u fcc

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
Passed my Technican exam, easy peasy. Getting my call sign later this week, ordered a cheapo baofeng to lean the ropes on. Need to find a good elmer who isn't a weirdo...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Low-Pass Filter posted:

Passed my Technican exam, easy peasy. Getting my call sign later this week, ordered a cheapo baofeng to lean the ropes on. Need to find a good elmer who isn't a weirdo...

:toot:

Bloody posted:

:wtc:

does this mean i cant sing on ham? f u fcc

ya sorry, not even happy birthday or nothin

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i tell u what tho, having my radio on me when tornado sirens were going off yesterday was a relief esp when the skywarn ppl hop on and take over the repeater and start giving reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

crs finished all the flashcards for technician, pretty confident i could pass it right now, gonna start on general :toot:

• Locked thread