Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I know I've only been investing for a little over a month now, so its all mostly meaningless, but I can't help but feel conflicted over the results so far. On the one hand, its great that I've gained 1% in a month. It seems to validate the balanced index plan.

Except what I really want is the market to go down so I can buy more shares cheaply. I think I should just stop paying attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Golluk posted:

I know I've only been investing for a little over a month now, so its all mostly meaningless, but I can't help but feel conflicted over the results so far. On the one hand, its great that I've gained 1% in a month. It seems to validate the balanced index plan.

Except what I really want is the market to go down so I can buy more shares cheaply. I think I should just stop paying attention to it.

It'll come with time. I'm assuming you're indexing but- you'll stop checking it a few times daily, then maybe a few times a week, then maybe once a week or every few weeks to see what the new cash distributions/dividends are. The best part about indexing and investing is that it really makes me want to be spendthrift because I know every penny I save long term means an extra penny in my long term investments, not my emergency fund/short term savings and the return is pretty solid, not just GICs or an awful at-inflation savings account.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Golluk posted:

I felt this way too, now I just glance at my balance in Mint and have 0 emotional reaction to increases or drops. It may be that I consider the money already spent or something, or that I haven't seen a significant loss yet, but it's definitely stress free and great.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

tuyop posted:

I felt this way too, now I just glance at my balance in Mint and have 0 emotional reaction to increases or drops. It may be that I consider the money already spent or something, or that I haven't seen a significant loss yet, but it's definitely stress free and great.

I was generally that way but got a bit squeamish in 2008. That was a pretty scary time. Hopefully we don't get another one of those for a while.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I was generally that way but got a bit squeamish in 2008. That was a pretty scary time. Hopefully we don't get another one of those for a while.

Me too. I lost over half of my net worth at the worst of it. The good news is that I hitched my wagon to some real winners at that point and it ended up being a net "opportunity of a lifetime".

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Saltin posted:

Me too. I lost over half of my net worth at the worst of it. The good news is that I hitched my wagon to some real winners at that point and it ended up being a net "opportunity of a lifetime".

Yeah, I did OK overall from the meltdown, but it took some intestinal fortitude not to dump it under my bed for a while. I think one year after the decline started I was about 25% ahead of where I had been beforehand, and that was even with some single stock picks I had that disintegrated. One that I was always mad for missing was Teck; share price got shaky right after the coal deal, down to $2/share at one point.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah, I did OK overall from the meltdown, but it took some intestinal fortitude not to dump it under my bed for a while. I think one year after the decline started I was about 25% ahead of where I had been beforehand, and that was even with some single stock picks I had that disintegrated. One that I was always mad for missing was Teck; share price got shaky right after the coal deal, down to $2/share at one point.

I semi-backed the truck up on TCK.B at about 3.50 a share and unloaded in the high 20's. People were saying they were done for with the bridge loan coming up and that Fording acquisition was a mistake, but the banks love to lend to assets, as it turns out. It kept going to $50+ but I felt great with what I got. Another good one was WTN (western coal) that was on fire-sale at .50/share and got bought out by Walter Energy for $11.50/share about a year and a half later.

In essence my daughter is going to Univesity financed almost completely by Metallurgical Coal.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saltin posted:

I semi-backed the truck up on TCK.B at about 3.50 a share and unloaded in the high 20's. People were saying they were done for with the bridge loan coming up and that Fording acquisition was a mistake, but the banks love to lend to assets, as it turns out. It kept going to $50+ but I felt great with what I got. Another good one was WTN (western coal) that was on fire-sale at .50/share and got bought out by Walter Energy for $11.50/share about a year and a half later.

In essence my daughter is going to Univesity financed almost completely by Metallurgical Coal.

Yeah, I remember looking at it around there after it had turned the corner, thinking I should buy some, and then getting busy with work or something and forgetting to do so. :suicide:

What a loving disappointment in hindsight.

Oh well, hopefully I'll be better prepared the next time it happens.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
And of course falling US and international markets dropped me back to my initial investment.

Though what I'm really still a bit unsure of is when I get my rrsp match. It will be about 40% of my meager retirement savings. I'm considering spreading out buying the funds over a couple of months, in a sort of DCA fashion. Or should I just throw it all in right away.

I suppose long term it's not a huge difference either way.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 7, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Golluk posted:

And of course falling US and international markets dropped me back to my initial investment.

Though what I'm really still a bit unsure of is when I get my rrsp match. It will be about 40% of my meager retirement savings. I'm considering spreading out buying the funds over a couple of months, in a sort of DCA fashion. Or should I just throw it all in right away.

Unless the markets are looking particularly lovely I'd just throw it in as soon as you get it and buy whatever you need to get your portfolio balance right. Timing the market is for the bravesuckers (mostly).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MERs include management fees, right?

For example:

https://www.google.ca/finance?cid=642426835831580
TDB:109

Shows a MER of 1.34% but a management fee of 1.21%.. the 1.34% includes the 1.21% right?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

slidebite posted:

MERs include management fees, right?

For example:

https://www.google.ca/finance?cid=642426835831580
TDB:109

Shows a MER of 1.34% but a management fee of 1.21%.. the 1.34% includes the 1.21% right?

Yes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Golluk posted:

I have a tendency to buy a day or two before minor downturns so I'm up only about 50 bucks YTD. Like you said though it really doesn't matter long term. If we get to the point where we lose it all in the markets the only currencies that will matter are ammo, medicine and canned food :freep:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

I have a tendency to buy a day or two before minor downturns so I'm up only about 50 bucks YTD. Like you said though it really doesn't matter long term. If we get to the point where we lose it all in the markets the only currencies that will matter are ammo, medicine and canned food :freep:

That or we've developed a utopian society no longer using money. But I'd bet on the guns and ammo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Joke's on you guys. The society in which money doesn't matter is within you.

*eats only the transcendent energy of the universe*

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

tuyop posted:

Joke's on you guys. The society in which money doesn't matter is within you.

*eats only the transcendent energy of the universe*

Plz tell me your secrets after today I'm at a net loss of a hundred and change.

Golluk posted:

That or we've developed a utopian society no longer using money. But I'd bet on the guns and ammo.

If it's the former, we could use the latter to take it over because they'd never see it coming! Even less reason to worry!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

Plz tell me your secrets after today I'm at a net loss of a hundred and change.

If it's the former, we could use the latter to take it over because they'd never see it coming! Even less reason to worry!

The secret to that is to never look.

The other stuff is like, gently caress money and things. Love the poo poo you have. Do your best, know that your best is enough. Accept the things you're afraid of and satisfy yourself with your own vulnerability.

You know, that kind of poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is the reason that ETF's are best suited for those with $50K to invest and not under? Alternatively, why are they recomended over standard index funds?

In my prep of moving to Direct Investing, we decided it's just easiest to sell everything (except equities and GICs) to cash and just moving them over in bulk and I'll balance the portfolio from there.

Looking at all the MERs on the funds I have (anywhere from 1.5% to 3%) the savings alone will pay for any load fees I'm stuck paying.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

slidebite posted:

What is the reason that ETF's are best suited for those with $50K to invest and not under? Alternatively, why are they recomended over standard index funds?

In my prep of moving to Direct Investing, we decided it's just easiest to sell everything (except equities and GICs) to cash and just moving them over in bulk and I'll balance the portfolio from there.

Looking at all the MERs on the funds I have (anywhere from 1.5% to 3%) the savings alone will pay for any load fees I'm stuck paying.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. I would recommend ETFs over mutual funds on any day that ends in Y regardless of the amount of money.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

From here, and I have heard it elsewhere. Just curious why.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/recommended-index-funds/

quote:

Recommended Index Funds

While ETFs get far more attention, index mutual funds are still an excellent choice for Couch Potato investors, especially those who want to keep things simple, those who contribute small amounts every month, and those with accounts less than $50,000.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

slidebite posted:

From here, and I have heard it elsewhere. Just curious why.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/recommended-index-funds/

Maybe simplicity? With an ETF you have to go to the market and fill in a buy/sell order. With mutual funds, you can set up so you just contribute periodically and the purchase is made on your behalf.

That's the only reason I can think of. I don't know how the 50K would play in at all.

edit: Also mutual fund purchases would be free while ETFs may charge a commission depending on your broker. So maybe they are saying anything less than 50K is not worth the commission. I'll beg to differ.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 9, 2014

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Generally going with a low/free commission brokerage (AKA Questrade) means that the minimum practical limits are much lower to move into ETFs over index MFs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

So maybe they are saying anything less than 50K is not worth the commission.

A couple years ago as I understand it this was true - all brokerages charged a trading fee because :canada: Paying $5-$15 on a small monthly contribution could see you lose 5% on your investment on fees alone, making other options more desirable. With the elimination of fees to buy ETFs this rule of thumb no longer applies as best as I figure. I started with questrade at the beginning of the year, make monthly buys, and have maybe paid a buck in commissions as far as I can tell.

VVVV e. there's a calculator somewhere on CCP's website that does just that. Plug in MERs, commission fee, and the frequency of trades/rebalances and it would figure out what the cheapest options were. It was incredibly easy to use even for my dumb starting out rear end, but no-fee ETF buying wins out almost every time now.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 10, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

The argument used to be transaction costs which would make it prohibitive for a smaller account to make regular investments but with the relatively low trading fees now available at many brokers this isn't really the case as much as it used to be. Someone could probably math it to figure out the threshold where paying :10bux: per trade is better than mutual fund fees. As usual I'm phone posting so

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The argument used to be transaction costs which would make it prohibitive for a smaller account to make regular investments

This is it exactly. Only a few years ago for example, TD Waterhouse charged $29.99 per trade if you had under 100k in household assets with them/TD.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finally got the paperwork done for the RBC Direct Investing accounts. It wasn't difficult, but jesus it was almost 2.5 hours without much wasted time for the 5 accounts.

The guy at the local branch was really nice but luckily the DI guy was driving the bus or we'd probably still be there.

Probably 200+ sheets of paper (I poo poo you not) so I'm glad the bank courier bag was taking the hard copies.

Now, just to spend some researching couch potato and plan our ETF diversification :)

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

slidebite posted:

Probably 200+ sheets of paper (I poo poo you not) so I'm glad the bank courier bag was taking the hard copies

I think it was about 6 signatures, and 10 pages, with some online forms/questions to get a DI RRSP and TFSA account set up with TD Waterhouse. Still took over an hour but it was fairly relaxed.

I was pleasantly surprised I didn't run into any problems or resistence on their part with me going for e-series.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I want to get some TD E-series and use my existing TFSA contribution room (I've never had a TFSA, my contribution room is either $16,000 or $21,000, not sure which, but I wouldn't even be putting 16k in so either way I'm good).

How do I go about doing this? I went to the TD website and downloaded the application form to do it through EasyWeb, but there's only the option to do it as an RSP or non-registered. Do I have to go into the branch to get it done as a TFSA?

Thanks!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My Direct Investing accounts are open, but I have a LIRA which isn't transferred over yet. The guy who assisted with the transfer says they usually take a bit longer. Anyone have an idea for a typical time to do it? A couple weeks?

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006

HookShot posted:

I want to get some TD E-series and use my existing TFSA contribution room (I've never had a TFSA, my contribution room is either $16,000 or $21,000, not sure which, but I wouldn't even be putting 16k in so either way I'm good).

How do I go about doing this? I went to the TD website and downloaded the application form to do it through EasyWeb, but there's only the option to do it as an RSP or non-registered. Do I have to go into the branch to get it done as a TFSA?

Thanks!!

From my own experience, the easiest thing was to book an appointment at a branch to open a TFSA with TD Waterhouse/Direct Investing. Once you've transferred the money in, you can start buying eSeries right away. I tried applying online, and it was a complete hassle ending with my account being frozen and me having to go into a branch anyway to straighten things out.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

leaves of logic posted:

From my own experience, the easiest thing was to book an appointment at a branch to open a TFSA with TD Waterhouse/Direct Investing. Once you've transferred the money in, you can start buying eSeries right away. I tried applying online, and it was a complete hassle ending with my account being frozen and me having to go into a branch anyway to straighten things out.

I was able to do mine online, but doing it in a branch is probably easier. Tell them you want a self-directed brokerage account for your TFSA, its definitely A Thing that they can create. Don't mention e-series or anything that might confuse them, it doesn't matter to them what funds you buy after they create your Waterhouse TFSA account.

Specialized Waterhouse locations like the one in downtown Vancouver are probably your best bet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ok, awesome, thanks. Hopefully the branch up here will know what to do despite not being specialized Waterhouse.

Just to confirm, I'll be able to buy e-series through EasyWeb this way, right?

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006

HookShot posted:

Ok, awesome, thanks. Hopefully the branch up here will know what to do despite not being specialized Waterhouse.

Yeah, I opened mine at a regular TD branch, but do make sure to tell them you're opening a self-directed brokerage account, as has been said.

You'll be able to buy the funds through WebBroker, which is quickly accessible through EasyWeb. You'll actually see your TFSA balance in EasyWeb, but clicking on the account link will take you to their WebBroker system. The interfaces are pretty similar, and you only login once through EasyWeb.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

HookShot posted:

You can apply for web broker access which will be accessible through EasyWeb. It'll be a separate line on your EasyWeb main page showing your account balance, which you can click on to take you to the Waterhouse website where you can place orders.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

leaves of logic posted:

Yeah, I opened mine at a regular TD branch, but do make sure to tell them you're opening a self-directed brokerage account, as has been said.

You'll be able to buy the funds through WebBroker, which is quickly accessible through EasyWeb. You'll actually see your TFSA balance in EasyWeb, but clicking on the account link will take you to their WebBroker system. The interfaces are pretty similar, and you only login once through EasyWeb.

Perfect, thanks!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Welp, Questrade doesn't seem to understand LIRAs. Looks like I'll be going with TD for my locked in pension transfer. More on this later when I have a keyboard and time.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Does any one have any good recommendations for a new Credit card?

The two I'm thinking about right now are the MBNA Smart Cash
https://www.applyonlinenow.com/CACCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=COMP&lc=en_CA

Or the Capital One Aspire Travel Card
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/aspire-travel-world/

I am mostly interested in cash back from my card, although all the travel benefits of the aspire card would be nice.

Edit: http://www.pcfinancial.ca/english/credit-card/pc-mastercard-world Could also work as I do most of my grocery shopping at superstore already.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 22, 2014

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006
I use Amazon.ca Chase Visa: https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm
2% cash back from Amazon.ca purchases, 1% everywhere else. The $20 every "2000 points" gets subtracted from your card's balance. I don't recall if there was an option to get a $20 cheque instead, if that's more your thing.
Plus if you're travelling, or purchasing something in another currency, you're only paying Visa's exchange rate.

I've been considering getting the MBNA Smart Cash, too, though, for the 2% on gas/groceries.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Would anyone be interested in a credit card churning-for-points post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

Welp, Questrade doesn't seem to understand LIRAs. Looks like I'll be going with TD for my locked in pension transfer. More on this later when I have a keyboard and time.

What do you mean? LIRA is an option at Questrade when opening an account.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does any one have any good recommendations for a new Credit card?

The two I'm thinking about right now are the MBNA Smart Cash
https://www.applyonlinenow.com/CACCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=COMP&lc=en_CA

Or the Capital One Aspire Travel Card
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/aspire-travel-world/

I am mostly interested in cash back from my card, although all the travel benefits of the aspire card would be nice.

Edit: http://www.pcfinancial.ca/english/credit-card/pc-mastercard-world Could also work as I do most of my grocery shopping at superstore already.

I have the Aspire Travel and love everything about it. It effectively works out to 2% cash back if you redeem for travel.