Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bogart posted:

The one lovely WoW cleric will be a real cock to you if you are, but that's the only character I can think of who treats you differently.

Fake edit: No, wait, Lautrec has a throwaway line.

He's lovely to you regardless. Crestfallen will say you look positively Hollow and give you some tips of getting Humanity and restoring yourself. Lautrec would do the same while sounding sinister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
All the summons at looking glass knight have stopped, thats annoying. Maybe I should move on to another boss to try and farm the rest of the sunlight medals. Wish I'd joined the covenant so much sooner

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Jose posted:

All the summons at looking glass knight have stopped, thats annoying. Maybe I should move on to another boss to try and farm the rest of the sunlight medals. Wish I'd joined the covenant so much sooner

I got my sunlight spear almost entirely thanks to Demon of Song. That's probably the last fight in NG that is hugely popular for summons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where did you place the sign? At the bonfire or before the fog gate?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I was summoning for fast cash I got bites pretty quickly in front of its boss door. I got a lot of summons for Velsdaldt too and he gives twice as many souls (which might be a bad thing considering what you want though)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jose posted:

While people will certainly appreciate finding you at ANY of the Amana bonfires, you'll get plenty of hits right outside its fogdoor.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Jose posted:

Place it right before the fog gate. Velstadt is also really good to sunbro.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Internet Kraken posted:

Shadow helmet. Be warned, trying to get any piece of the shadow set is a massive pain in the rear end. They are only dropped by two unique enemies that spawn in the Flexile Sentry boss room on NG+.

I'm using this helmet too. And the top. I bonfire ascetic'd to get it in NG. My friend helped me farm it-- Just kill the shadow dudes, alt+f4 out of the boss fight, and it dumps you right onto the pier without having to burn another ascetic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Never place a summon sign by the bonfire as a sunbro, it's pointless. That's what your small white soapstone is for.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I was wearing my bell ring at the doors of pharros and was told I was being summoned as a grey spirit. When I entered their world, I was still in the doors of pharros and looked like a white spirit. I was under the impression that I would appear at one of the two belfries. What gives?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
You were summoned as a gray spirit to a ratbro's realm instead of a belfry. :v:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Ariong posted:

I was wearing my bell ring at the doors of pharros and was told I was being summoned as a grey spirit. When I entered their world, I was still in the doors of pharros and looked like a white spirit. I was under the impression that I would appear at one of the two belfries. What gives?

If you're in the doors of Pharros you have a chance of getting summoned as a spirit to a Ratbaby's world to pit yourself against their obstacle course.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ariong posted:

Rat King says hi.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Ariong posted:

You got summoned by a ratbro. Bellbros invade other people's worlds as gray phantoms, ratbros summon other people into their own world as gray phantoms.

e: Phantom? Spirit? Gray? Grey? gently caress it who cares

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 22, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Here, a response that actually might explain something.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/rat-king-covenant

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alright, thanks. Confusing.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Artificer posted:

I still routinely get destroyed by Santier's in PvP. :downs: I just can't get close enough to swing my sword without dying.

It just stupid damage, when Im using it i will roll around and exchange with it in one hand until I get a perfect opportunty to spin2win and spam the 2hand R1 attack, even at SL 200+ unless they have GMB up a full combo will do ~2300 damage and it takes about 1.5 seconds to complete

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Dick move 1001 people, dick move.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MadJackMcJack posted:

Dick move 1001 people, dick move.

I've heard most of those extremely highly rated messages are just people hacking the rating(Since it's stored locally).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I've heard most of those extremely highly rated messages are just people hacking the rating(Since it's stored locally).

Awww, kinda takes the fun out of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaldaris posted:

I'm using this helmet too. And the top. I bonfire ascetic'd to get it in NG. My friend helped me farm it-- Just kill the shadow dudes, alt+f4 out of the boss fight, and it dumps you right onto the pier without having to burn another ascetic.

Well for me the hard part was not getting killed :v:

Probably because I did it at 200k SM and thus died the second I did something wrong. Still, those shadows are real assholes. Half the time I went to kill one I'd get instantly hit and stun locked. I got really lucky because the two times I actually managed to kill one, they dropped the two pieces I wanted.

I guess that makes up for the hour I spent killing lionmen trying to their cape, and upon acquiring it I realized it didn't even look good :shepicide:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Manatee Cannon posted:

They spice the game up if you enjoy them. I don't. And you literally don't have a choice as it is, that's the point of an invasion! They invaded you, that's what that word means. They also throttled the way your usual invasions work due to the fact that anyone can be invaded.

If you don't want invasions there are things to do. Don't make the rest of us have to have blues tag along for the few invasions we get. If you are terrified of pvp stay in the way of the blue and they will show up right away to save you.

I was listing reasons why people might burn an effigy because you asked why someone would ever do that instead of pulling the plug. Its not like effigys are rare or anything.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Without PvP this game gets pretty boring tbh. Every now and then you just need a human enemy to keep things fresh. Would be nice if matchmaking wasn't hosed by people hacking their SM low but whatever

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Internet Kraken posted:

Probably because I did it at 200k SM and thus died the second I did something wrong. Still, those shadows are real assholes. Half the time I went to kill one I'd get instantly hit and stun locked. I got really lucky because the two times I actually managed to kill one, they dropped the two pieces I wanted.

I'm convinced the shadows have some kind of Ring of Thorns counter effect going on because I've taken damage from them in way too many oddball situations (like in the middle of a stunlock combo) for it to just be some kind of weird move that instantly comes out before I can even see it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Am I a sunbro even if I use the small soapstone?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Outside of Pharros and the belfries invasions are so sparse in NG due to no reliable source of red/blue orbs that it's easy to think they didn't exist at all. In NG+ it's still uncommon to get invaded since the only real ways to get orbs is to either farm duels/mobs or by paying out the rear end for a decent amount.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

I think you're strictly a shade with a small soapstone. I've never seen a small orange sign.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

You show up gold but you won't get a sunlight medal for it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yes. I have seen small orange signs. I'm not sure what it rewards you with though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Azzents posted:

Outside of Pharros and the belfries invasions are so sparse in NG due to no reliable source of red/blue orbs that it's easy to think they didn't exist at all. In NG+ it's still uncommon to get invaded since the only real ways to get orbs is to either farm duels/mobs or by paying out the rear end for a decent amount.

The tiny pigs in majula each have a 5% chance to drop a cracked red orb, so that's a 15% drop rate per bonfire rest. Clearly some kind of joke to make anyone who wants to early invade really work for it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm convinced the shadows have some kind of Ring of Thorns counter effect going on because I've taken damage from them in way too many oddball situations (like in the middle of a stunlock combo) for it to just be some kind of weird move that instantly comes out before I can even see it.

No, it actually does appear to be a problem that a number of enemies have. Namely, the problem of doing damage during any of their start-up animations; they don't need to be in the middle of an attack, their hitbox activates the moment they start, like if you could hit something the exact moment you hit r1.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Old Iron King is a pretty simple fight, and I would have won it by now if it weren't for that laser attack. Is that thing a bullshit magnet, or what? Twice now I've had it hit me, knock me down, then hit me again while in the recovery animation. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so difficult to avoid. It's very frustrating having a fight go really well and then having the boss basically just say gently caress you and send you back to the bonfire with a stunlock instakill.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Flytrap posted:

No, it actually does appear to be a problem that a number of enemies have. Namely, the problem of doing damage during any of their start-up animations; they don't need to be in the middle of an attack, their hitbox activates the moment they start, like if you could hit something the exact moment you hit r1.

Yeah the giant mole rat things in the gutter and those spider people in brightstone are the most noticeable examples.

Ariong posted:

The Old Iron King is a pretty simple fight, and I would have won it by now if it weren't for that laser attack. Is that thing a bullshit magnet, or what? Twice now I've had it hit me, knock me down, then hit me again while in the recovery animation. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so difficult to avoid. It's very frustrating having a fight go really well and then having the boss basically just say gently caress you and send you back to the bonfire with a stunlock instakill.

Roll as soon as he's about to shoot the laser. If he still hits you, you should still have enough time to roll out before getting hit during recovery. That said I don't know what triggers him to use the laser. The last 3-4 times I've killed him he hasn't done it. I think it might be if you hide behind the wall enough when he does his flame breath poo poo.

y_3 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 22, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ariong posted:

This is an interesting post because I wish you could bait that attack since it's pretty trivial to avoid and leaves the boss wide open.

If you see him charge up like he's going to do that attack, watch his arm then roll diagonally forward (basically, roll at his arm but not in the path of the laser) and you'll get free hits on the dude.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King of Solomon posted:

This is an interesting post because I wish you could bait that attack since it's pretty trivial to avoid and leaves the boss wide open.

If you see him charge up like he's going to do that attack, watch his arm then roll diagonally forward (basically, roll at his arm but not in the path of the laser) and you'll get free hits on the dude.

My primary complaint is how it feels like bullshit. If he wound up and slammed his fist onto my head and it instakilled me, I would understand that. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is my character getting knocked on to the ground like a giant loving laser and then immediately sticking her face right into it why are you doing that it just took off half your health why can't I stop you oh look I'm dead. That's the problem here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ariong posted:

My primary complaint is how it feels like bullshit. If he wound up and slammed his fist onto my head and it instakilled me, I would understand that. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is my character getting knocked on to the ground like a giant loving laser and then immediately sticking her face right into it why are you doing that it just took off half your health why can't I stop you oh look I'm dead. That's the problem here.

IMO it's fine because it's super easy to avoid (literally just roll to the right before he fires it) and leaves him open for quite a bit.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm gonna go back and actually play Dark Souls now that I've learned to enjoy the gameplay in 2. I tried playing it when it came out but the beginning of the game is so loving unforgiving and horrible if you aren't totally into :darksouls: that it made me pull my hair out.

It's not that bad unless you do silly things like try to win against the Asylum Demon with the broken sword, or try to go into the Catacombs first.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Magus42 posted:

It's not that bad unless you do silly things like try to win against the Asylum Demon with the broken sword, or try to go into the Catacombs first.

Yeah, the best way to start is to chose the master key and take the elevator down from firelink. It'll lead you to an area you need the key to unlock, but its a great place with lots of cool loot and fun times to be had :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

IMO it's fine because it's super easy to avoid (literally just roll to the right before he fires it) and leaves him open for quite a bit.

Plus most of his other attacks have a ~50% chance of punting you into lava anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, the best way to start is to chose the master key and take the elevator down from firelink. It'll lead you to an area you need the key to unlock, but its a great place with lots of cool loot and fun times to be had :)

beware of liar ahead