Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Yond Cassius posted:

Here's the final Astia list:

Is it final final? I'd love a roll of 120 and the motivation of some :toxx:

edit: VVV PMed!

Bud fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Bud posted:

Is it final final? I'd love a roll of 120 and the motivation of some :toxx:

Get me your address and it's yours.

E: Done! Everyone is in! Film should go out early next week.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 16, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yond Cassius posted:

E: Done! Still need Paul's address. Everyone else is in!

Done, thanks!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Aw yeah! and I just had my individual critique so I've got no other pressure to shoot for a while.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Photo I took of Namdaemun in Seoul on world pinhole day with my DIY sharan wide pinhole camera. Exposure time was about 1 minute.

Namdaemun Pinhole by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I saw some repair bay...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
For any Canadians out there, who has shot the Shoppers Drug Mart brand "easypix" film? I see they have a bunch for not a lot of money. Is it some other rebranded type?

fake edit: some people seem to think it's just rebranded Fuji Superia

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 16, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BANME.sh posted:

For any Canadians out there, who has shot the Shoppers Drug Mart brand "easypix" film? I see they have a bunch for not a lot of money. Is it some other rebranded type?

fake edit: some people seem to think it's just rebranded Fuju Superia

That's what I heard too. I bought a box but haven't shot any yet.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I cleaned out a stores inventory when they put it on clearance. It's fujicolor.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

fake edit: some people seem to think it's just rebranded Fuji Superia

I shot some a year or two ago. Pretty sure it said "FUJI" near the sproket holes when I had it developed. Basic, consumer-grade C-41 film, as I recall.

Mightaswell posted:

I cleaned out a stores inventory when they put it on clearance. It's fujicolor.
I live next door to a Shopper's. I need to go there this afternoon anyway, I guess I'll be buying their film.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got some Ilford 3200 and walked down some alleys at dusk. This stuff is grainy as heck

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

After all, you can make more money, but they won't make more <insert your dead or dying favorite here>.

Because of you I used that excuse the other day in a slightly beer induced stupor to order 40 rolls of 120 ektachrome! drat you!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Because of you I used that excuse the other day in a slightly beer induced stupor to order 40 rolls of 120 ektachrome! drat you!

:hfive: And you know what, when you get the first roll back and hold it up to the light, you'll know it was worth it.

Which Ektachrome variant did you get?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

:hfive: And you know what, when you get the first roll back and hold it up to the light, you'll know it was worth it.

Which Ektachrome variant did you get?

The E100G flavor, also was 20 not 40 rolls, mashed wrong key this morning.

What are the different flavors?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Ezekiel_980 posted:

There's E100VS which is super saturated like Velvia, except not terrible.

Yond Cassius posted:

VS - "Very Saturated". Kodak's answer to Velvia, and in some ways I think a superior film. VS slides look like jewels.

Yeah, VS renders red and yellows beautifully without leaving greens sickly like Velvia does in bright sunlight. It definitely has a warmer glow to it.

Velvia really shines in overcast conditions which is a bummer that Fuji dropped the 100 speed before the 50.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 18, 2014

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

EPR - The original Ektachrome 64, from the mid-70s. It's a decent neutral film, but not really worth shooting even if you find it around.
EPN - Ektachrome 100. Much the same rendering characteristics as EPR, except faster.
EPP - Ektachrome Plus. Moderate-high saturation, from the late 80s. It's a cousin to Astia, but Astia is the cousin who was just... better at everything.
S - "Saturated". Second-to-last generation.
SW - "Saturated Warm". Second-to-last generation. One of my all-time favorites.
G - The last-generation improvement on the S emulsion, introduced in 2002/2003. It represents the very best of Kodak's slide-film technology, and I think it's the best all-around Ektachrome, possibly the best all-around slide film ever. Excellent skin tones.
GX - Supposedly the G-series version of SW, but it never really worked for me. I thought it was rather orangey, and wasn't as good with skin tones as SW.
VS - "Very Saturated". Kodak's answer to Velvia, and in some ways I think a superior film. VS slides look like jewels.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

try it with a lime posted:

There's E100VS which is super saturated like Velvia, except not terrible.

Yeah, VS renders red and yellows beautifully without leaving greens sickly like Velvia does in bright sunlight. It definitely has a warmer glow to it. I have a roll of 120 E100VS that's begging to be ruined by 8 terrible 6x9 shots at some point this summer, I guess it's only gonna get more expired if I don't.

Velvia really shines in overcast conditions which is a bummer that Fuji dropped the 100 speed before the 50.

I like to look of that red, is $80 for a 5 pack a rip off?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I like to look of that red, is $80 for a 5 pack a rip off?

Yes. Mel Pierce has a little left for $13/roll, or $65/5pack.

$13/roll is still high, personally, but that's the nature of the game. Is it $5/roll better than Velvia 100? They're not making more of it, and if it really speaks to you, the fair price is what you can find.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got a cheap Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 rangefinder and it came with a roll of Safeway film expired in 2003. It looks identical to other Fuji stuff I've had developed in the past.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 23, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
oops double post

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Scanning velvia kinda blows. Looks really nice on my lightbox though.

gat by PC-P, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Just developed my first roll of Delta 400 in 35mm and it is no bullshit the least curly roll of 35mm I have developed to date. :feelsgood:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
The first ten rolls of Astia went out earlier this week, and the rest should go out tomorrow.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Word. I was wondering about this earlier actually. I'm gonna be moving out of my apartment/address at the end of the month. I'm mildly concerned it won't show up and poo poo. In the event you haven't sent my film I can pm you a temp address where it can be received for beautiful pitcher takin'.

Edit: if t'were sent out already, t'should arrive before I relocate.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

dog nougat posted:

Word. I was wondering about this earlier actually. I'm gonna be moving out of my apartment/address at the end of the month. I'm mildly concerned it won't show up and poo poo. In the event you haven't sent my film I can pm you a temp address where it can be received for beautiful pitcher takin'.

Edit: if t'were sent out already, t'should arrive before I relocate.

You'll be fine. I could drive to you and deliver it in person in a day (though I'd want to crash somewhere before driving back), so it should be there in plenty of time.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Oh. No worries then. It'll should only take a day to show up.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

The first ten rolls of Astia went out earlier this week, and the rest should go out tomorrow.

I missed a package from the mailman yesterday, I wonder if it was the rolls.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Understanding posted:

I missed a package from the mailman yesterday, I wonder if it was the rolls.

Quite possibly! Yours went out Thursday. It's just a padded envelope, though, so I would expect him just to stuff it in your mailbox.

Including some off-board friends there are 16 people and 25 rolls involved in this little game. I'm pretty sick of writing out my address by now.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Quite possibly! Yours went out Thursday. It's just a padded envelope, though, so I would expect him just to stuff it in your mailbox.

Including some off-board friends there are 16 people and 25 rolls involved in this little game. I'm pretty sick of writing out my address by now.

unless the mail gets delivered tomorrow, I'm not going to be able to get them until Tuesday the soonest :smith:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I feel your pain. Unfortunately no mail on the morrow. I actually had a dream about slide film last night, and those rich saturated colors.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dog nougat posted:

those rich saturated colors.

Astia may disappoint you.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Hey guys sorry for my film noobism but I had developed some color film from walgreens and I subsequently lost the negatives myself(I would never have given my film away unless they returned the negs). I'm just curious how the following image looks
untitled-2.jpg by Denim Pants, on Flickr

vs the original lovely walgreens scan:

edit: oh it was 35mm fuji superia 800 speed that expired like 10 years ago, shot 1 year ago.

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 26, 2014

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

Astia may disappoint you.

Maybe a bit, we'll see. It was a dream after all. It reminded me a bit if portra in the pix I've seen. Is it possible to use filters with color film to create great contrast like b&w I imagine a polarizer could be useful.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Astia and Portra are both low contrast color films mostly used for portraits. That's what he means.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Totally. Portra pretty much implies portraiture...as long as you're pastey and pink-ish. What little I've seen if Astia looks similar to portra, with slightly more saturated colors. In my dream(s) would it look like kodachrome with less intense reds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

feigning interest posted:

Hey guys sorry for my film noobism but I had developed some color film from walgreens and I subsequently lost the negatives myself(I would never have given my film away unless they returned the negs). I'm just curious how the following image looks
untitled-2.jpg by Denim Pants, on Flickr

vs the original lovely walgreens scan:

edit: oh it was 35mm fuji superia 800 speed that expired like 10 years ago, shot 1 year ago.

Much better!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Just picked up my mystery package from the post office. It wasnt the film :smith:

Looks like i shall go wanting a few more days.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

So I bought a Canon AV-1 from a friend on a whim. Did I do a terrible thing?

widunder
May 2, 2002

emotive posted:

So I bought a Canon AV-1 from a friend on a whim. Did I do a terrible thing?
I learned how to shoot on a AV-1. Get a dirt cheap f/1.4 50mm and fire away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

widunder posted:

I learned how to shoot on a AV-1. Get a dirt cheap f/1.4 50mm and fire away.
It came with a 50mm 1.8 so I'll just play around with that for a while. Gotta go find some film!