Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

blinkeve1826 posted:

:siren:Please read this and let me pay you money to write things:siren:

As most of you know by now, I teach voiceover classes, and I need some new commercial voiceover copy for my students to use. I have a number of commercial spots I've written myself and royalty-free scripts that I've been using, but I and my students are getting sick of them. What I need is mostly :30 second commercials of varying types, for a variety of voice types and age ranges (though primarily 20s-30s male and female actors), perhaps with some :10 and :15-second tags thrown in there. They do need to emulate the sheer variety of commercials that currently air--comedic, dramatic, self-aware, talking animals, casual language, serious subject matter, restaurants, stores, products, etc. with a slight bias towards comedic copy. However, as long as they sound like real, current commercials, you have a LOT of freedom as to their actual content. (I can send you some samples if you'd like.) Please shoot me an email at melanie(at)listentomelanie(dot)com with your info, including at least your proposed pay rate and samples. (Also include both your real name and your SA username so I know who you are!) Would love to have this done within the next few days!

Edit: I mainly need commercial copy right now, but we could certainly also use more copy of other types. I would love to find excerpts from already-existing works of the following types whose creators would like to hear them brought to life by my students:
-Animation (from the amateur-ist flash animation to student films to anything with a character who speaks, really)
-Video games (from the amateur-ist RPG Maker games to iOS apps to full-fledged releases)
-Comics (We just need characters and accompanying dialogue, basically, since in pre-lay animation voiceover you don't see the fully-animated work when you're recording anyway)
-Books or other written works (Fiction, non-fiction, narratives, novels, comedy, mystery, romance, short stories, finished or not--basically, anything that could be turned into an audiobook

Aw hell yes I was born for this type of witty writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I think I may have hit the apex of my abilities in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6vAko8NAho

What else is there left to even do?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So I finally have a microphone that is not poo poo and have stepped into the world of trying my hand at new things that are hard.

Really, I've been hoping to break into this sort of thing but money has kept me out and there's not much checking on your practice you can do on a 12 dollar walmart mic. For now I got the Yeti Pro from a firesale in near mint condition and got it set up before I have to run back to work. All I managed to record was this for the meantime in the XBone thread:

I still have some work to do with the environment for my recordings. For now though I just want to keep practicing and doing probono stuff to expand my attempts now that I can actually provide clean sound files.

Name: StealthArcher

Specialties: Baritone, decent range along the lower end, lots of capability with subtle voice differences and accents.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/StealthArcher

Payment: not gonna go for this at the moment

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StealthArcher posted:

So I finally have a microphone that is not poo poo and have stepped into the world of trying my hand at new things that are hard.

Really, I've been hoping to break into this sort of thing but money has kept me out and there's not much checking on your practice you can do on a 12 dollar walmart mic. For now I got the Yeti Pro from a firesale in near mint condition and got it set up before I have to run back to work. All I managed to record was this for the meantime in the XBone thread:

I still have some work to do with the environment for my recordings. For now though I just want to keep practicing and doing probono stuff to expand my attempts now that I can actually provide clean sound files.

Name: StealthArcher

Specialties: Baritone, decent range along the lower end, lots of capability with subtle voice differences and accents.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/StealthArcher

Payment: not gonna go for this at the moment

You somehow uploaded a webpage that needs it's extension changed to .mp3 after download. Or something is screwy on my end.

Clipwise, are you trying to go for the announcer heard here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzBpJ1XYwc

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

You somehow uploaded a webpage that needs it's extension changed to .mp3 after download. Or something is screwy on my end.

Clipwise, are you trying to go for the announcer heard here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzBpJ1XYwc

Per the first, yeah, most people don't need to do that, dunno whats up with that.

Second off, no, didn't ever even see that clip. I mostly did a voice as a 'better' version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs for a mockup of possible sequels to a bad XBone game.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It tries to download as a firefox document for me as well. If you don't mind me asking, where else have you posted that clip to get so many downloads so quickly? The most well-received thing I've posted on the forums struggled to break 1,000 downloads, and that was in the traveling Chickencheese thread that visited every subforum.

E: I can't listen to it at all. Changing the file extension to mp3 allows Winamp to open it but nothing plays and the track length is 0:00. Could you upload an mp3 for us?

E2: VLC can play it. The thing that really jumped out at me is that it sounds like you have a stuffy nose.

titties fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 10, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

titties posted:

It tries to download as a firefox document for me as well. If you don't mind me asking, where else have you posted that clip to get so many downloads so quickly? The most well-received thing I've posted on the forums struggled to break 1,000 downloads, and that was in the traveling Chickencheese thread that visited every subforum.

E: I can't listen to it at all. Changing the file extension to mp3 allows Winamp to open it but nothing plays and the track length is 0:00. Could you upload an mp3 for us?

E2: VLC can play it. The thing that really jumped out at me is that it sounds like you have a stuffy nose.

It was a joke in the XBox One mock thread in games. The discussion went to dumb sequel ideas for one of the launch games Ryse, and someone came up with Ryse 2: Full Ryse Consequences. After that it took all but minutes for someone to transpose the ols Half Life 2 Fanfiction to fit Ryse's setting. Then I did that, cause it was funny and I needed something to test the mic out.

It's an Ogg Vorbis file. Have you guys never used those?

Well, the voice is done with a lot of nasal restriction due to who I was attempting to imitate. If it's the way I say a lot of the words themselves, that's more due to this being my script I kept to:

Full Ryse Consequences posted:

Luigus Titus who was Marius Tituss brother was one day an library working on a parchmint. He got a messenger from his brother that said that germanics and mongols were attacking his place and aksed him for help so he went.

Luigus Titus got his parchmint shut down and wet on the platform to go up to the roof of the building where he left his chariot and normal people close because he was in his office toga. Luigus Titus got on his charit and said "its time for me to live up to my family name and face full ryse consequences" so he had to go.

Luigus is a weird thing to pronounce. It's supposed to be Lugius, but I thought it's be funny to have to keep the iffy version the whole way through.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 10, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The nice thing about tindeck is that if you upload an mp3 then it can use the player instead of being downloaded. Many people won't normally go out of their way to download a file to hear a sample.

The recording quality is decent but I can hear the room you are in and it is a bit distracting. Also, it's a good idea to get a decent spread of vocal samples, not just a joke recording, to really be able to make proper comments.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

The nice thing about tindeck is that if you upload an mp3 then it can use the player instead of being downloaded. Many people won't normally go out of their way to download a file to hear a sample.

The recording quality is decent but I can hear the room you are in and it is a bit distracting. Also, it's a good idea to get a decent spread of vocal samples, not just a joke recording, to really be able to make proper comments.

That so? I'll make use of that, explains the lack of a player.

Yeah, its a tiny little 10x10x10 foot box I live in in a house, the rest of it not being private. Its quite polluted acoustically speaking, and I really have to try figuring out when I could record in the living or sun room unmolested.

titties
May 10, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Well, the voice is done with a lot of nasal restriction due to who I was attempting to imitate. If it's the way I say a lot of the words themselves, that's more due to this being my script I kept to:

Agreeing with Jossi that if you want a good critique, you'll be better off posting something that doesn't have a purposeful summer allergy voice and deliberate pronunciation of misspelled words. I would recommend - wait for it ...

Summerset Hills. Let's see if I can provide it for you from memory:

Getting that big promotion must feel good. Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills?
The neighborhoods of Summerset Hills are currently entering into their third phase of building.
Choose from dozens of single-family homes on pie-shaped lots overlooking Lilly's Fair Court, perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids. With homes selling quickly, you'd better act now to move in to your dream home before the first snow fall. Open houses are being held every Saturday from 12pm until 4pm. Summerset Hills; move in today, and stay for a lifetime.

E:

JossiRossi posted:

I think I may have hit the apex of my abilities in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6vAko8NAho

What else is there left to even do?

Astonishing. This is one of those things, like Announcer Jim, that is so beautiful and elegant in its simplicity that I hate you for thinking of it before I did.

titties fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 11, 2014

weirdsauce
Apr 25, 2010
I landed my first paying gig. Okay, it was only $10 and some koozies but it was a paid gig all the same. It was reading some text for an application that the developers at Cyanogen are working on. If they use my sample, i'll be one of the options for an application on a smartphone application.

Before i went back to Texas for a visit, I decided to do a piece for my Soundcloud page. It was inspired from King Lou's readings so it's hardly original. It taught me a few things:

Numero Uno: Even though my sinus' were open at the time (i was under an allergy attack), i still sound nasally.

Numero Two-O: I needs coaching. I'm currently unjobbed, however. Melanie, i'll contact you once my finances are bit more coherent.

Unrelated, i wanted to field a question to others. I'm constantly being told i need to narrate erotica. I have absolutely no problem with this but as i move forward in building a body of work (and hopefully a good reputation), is there any ethical or cultural standard in the VO world regarding this? Is it a 3rd rail that could limit my opportunities?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Grey Delisle did VO for adult promos. Plenty of Japanese VA's voice in erotic anime and visual novels, and get serious roles as well.

As far as I'm aware, based off many people's body of work in the industry, they don't blacklist you.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Dan Green once did hentai. He told a woman to cluck like a chicken. True story.

titties
May 10, 2012

weirdsauce posted:

Before i went back to Texas for a visit, I decided to do a piece for my Soundcloud page.

I listened to (the beginning of) your Soundcloud thing. Did you pitch yourself down? It seems like it drags a little, like a cassette tape playing at a slower speed than it was recorded at. If that's natural, I have never heard anything like it or I am going insane or something.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Dan Green once did hentai. He told a woman to cluck like a chicken. True story.

That mention coupled with your avatar raises unfortunate questions.

Also gently caress, now I remember that.

weirdsauce
Apr 25, 2010

titties posted:

I listened to (the beginning of) your Soundcloud thing. Did you pitch yourself down? It seems like it drags a little, like a cassette tape playing at a slower speed than it was recorded at. If that's natural, I have never heard anything like it or I am going insane or something.

Nerp. That's my voice. I do get accused of speaking too fast when reading aloud so i may have deliberately slowed myself. I also get accused of using a voice changer a lot, especially in multi player games. That's my voice- it's a very low register.

If you want to compare, this is a reading i did from the wikipedia page on lacrosse (done yesterday).

weirdsauce fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 14, 2014

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Having taken Melanie's advice about being more aware of hydration, and planning recordings around it, I've had significantly less mouth noise come through in my recordings. So thanks once again!

Weirdsauce, listened to your sex stories and lacrosse read, in full. I would agree that you are speaking too fast. Your sex stories were less rushed, this is likely because you did it off the cuff. The lacrosse reading clearly has the notion of "let's just get through this boring copy". In order to get the proper pacing for a read, you need to be able to self-direct. It's a skill which must be developed through practice. Of course, it should go without saying that coaches can help teach you for the things to look for.

Another thing which you're doing (which we've all done) is dropping off words. Meaning, not sounding out the end of each word. Here's a quote taken from your lacrosse reading.

"they lost to the Toronto Cricket Club"

Cricket was dropped from the sentence, and sounded like "cricke" because the T was almost inaudible. Additionally, you read the loss like it was a positive event. Another thing which I noticed is during some parts of the readings, your voice goes louder than it should.

I like how you've been thinking outside the box and using the internet to your advantage to practice. Certainly keep doing that, it's something I find not a lot of people are doing.

On that note, I have to say I've been incredibly disappointed with voice acting communities online. It seems the most active one is "Voice Acting Alliance". Unfortunately I've found almost nothing of value, and it's gained a well-deserved reputation for having people never start/finish projects. Nearly everyone there falls into the category of weaboos, hobbyists, and teenagers. So as a result, nearly everyone is terrible, so I'm not inclined to collaborate with any of them, or take any of what they say seriously. The other forum I found, wasn't much different, and seems to have a lot of the same stuff. Outside of this, I haven't had any luck. This thread has certainly been better than any of them. If anyone knows of other places as well, please let me know. I'd love to get some different experiences, working with like-minded people.

If you're like me, and are looking for VA/VO buddies, I'd love to exchange contact info for skype/steam. Or alternatively have a chat room, but I don't know how to set that up. My info is the same as my username, so I should be easy to find on Skype. My steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/cubemario if you'd prefer to use that instead.

As far as reads go. I'll whip something up soon, so the thread can tear me to pieces. So far I haven't really produced anything that I've felt like was worth sharing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I just got an irc chat going that anyone can join. I'll do my best to stay in it and have it be active and what not. Never handled this before so who knows what I may have done/will do wrong, part of the fun :)

SUPER EASY
1. Click http://cgiirc.synirc.net/
2. Fill in username and for channel put in #SAVA.

YOU KNOW YOUR IRC
Network: irc.synirc.org
Channel: #SAVA

I am personally using HexChat to connect to multiple channels and have liked it. Previously I used the Mibbit Chrome plugin and that might work for people too. Mibbit was easier to set up. HexChat was missing some presets, but I can help people with that if they need it.

weirdsauce
Apr 25, 2010

Cubemario posted:

Another thing which I noticed is during some parts of the readings, your voice goes louder than it should.

Thank you for the good feedback, Cubemario. The voice inconsistency is problematic- my knowledge of sound engineering and my use of Audacity is minimal. It's amazing the difference that a few millimeters of distance from my Snowball can make.

I'm serious about exploiting my voice. To that end, i just invested in this package. I'm a bit concerned by the fact there are 2 negative reviews of the company out of 5. I'll report my findings of their service and the quality of the products here once i have received them.

This is just a passing thought but it might have some traction here. In the coming days, how about a few of us submit a link or two of a few paragraphs for us to read- one that's narrative and another that requires a bit of VO acting. Then share the results for us to compare to our own. It's my thinking being that we each have the opportunity to learn from others, especially if they're already established as VO talent.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

weirdsauce posted:

Thank you for the good feedback, Cubemario. The voice inconsistency is problematic- my knowledge of sound engineering and my use of Audacity is minimal. It's amazing the difference that a few millimeters of distance from my Snowball can make.

I'm serious about exploiting my voice. To that end, i just invested in this package. I'm a bit concerned by the fact there are 2 negative reviews of the company out of 5. I'll report my findings of their service and the quality of the products here once i have received them.

This is just a passing thought but it might have some traction here. In the coming days, how about a few of us submit a link or two of a few paragraphs for us to read- one that's narrative and another that requires a bit of VO acting. Then share the results for us to compare to our own. It's my thinking being that we each have the opportunity to learn from others, especially if they're already established as VO talent.

That's kinda what has been done for the last 20+ pages, but yeah, let's do that and never stop (because it's practice!) Why don't we just all grab an audition from ACX, record it, and share the results here?

Zorblack fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2014

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I'm completely down for that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah I'd be down too.

Also if people want it can help to have people egging you on and we've had a full 4 unique visitors (includingmyselfcough) to the IRC channel! Come chat with us!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

titties posted:

Agreeing with Jossi that if you want a good critique, you'll be better off posting something that doesn't have a purposeful summer allergy voice and deliberate pronunciation of misspelled words. I would recommend - wait for it ...

Summerset Hills. Let's see if I can provide it for you from memory:

Getting that big promotion must feel good. Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills?
The neighborhoods of Summerset Hills are currently entering into their third phase of building.
Choose from dozens of single-family homes on pie-shaped lots overlooking Lilly's Fair Court, perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids. With homes selling quickly, you'd better act now to move in to your dream home before the first snow fall. Open houses are being held every Saturday from 12pm until 4pm. Summerset Hills; move in today, and stay for a lifetime.

Things I can already pick out of this (the best of 20 reads, with varying success):

1. Spitmouth, need me some GS Apples, lemon water doesn't cut it and it's a bit noticeable.

2. I for some reason never stopped reading at my higher pitch, it sounds kinda awkward.

3. While far, far superior to the recordings I could do in my bedroom, the sun room has it's own problems, namely easy soundbleed from a city just outside it's windows.

4. Fans. By god the laptop fans. I tried some precision EQ (which is where the higher pitch ironically helped, my lower normal pitch kept getting hit whilist this one was fine and untouched) but it's still there. I'll have to figure out gating next I suppose, though Audacity still eludes me slightly to this day.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys so I have a couple questions.

I happen to be staying in LA for a week soon, and was wondering what classes there could be recommended. Looking at this list here
http://www.voiceoverresourceguide.com/la/04training.html
is kinda overwhelming. mostly my eyes magnetize to BILL MOTHERFUCKING FARMER.

I tried to search the thread, but SA search isn't exactly great at the best of times

NB: I am absolutely at the beginner stage

Also, of the blue yeti vs an AT2020, what comes more recommended? I mean, AT2020 is XLR but I'm not sure of the investment needed to make the most of that. I imagine it's quite a bit.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Isn't the Yeti XLR as well? I know my Yeti Pro is.

titties
May 10, 2012

Standard Yeti is USB-only.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just finished a large chunk of work on an upcoming RPG and they now mentioned that they want 16 more voices. Since I've already done 8 myself, I've kinda hit my limit on suitable character variation.

These ones will only be 1 short line each (like 2 seconds long) but I might need some help. I'll post again when I have more info. Most I can pay for each is $5 and your name in the credits. Looking for naturally deep, booming, evil or sinister voices.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Just finished a large chunk of work on an upcoming RPG and they now mentioned that they want 16 more voices. Since I've already done 8 myself, I've kinda hit my limit on suitable character variation.

These ones will only be 1 short line each (like 2 seconds long) but I might need some help. I'll post again when I have more info. Most I can pay for each is $5 and your name in the credits. Looking for naturally deep, booming, evil or sinister voices.

I'm very interested. I'm also in Roseville, MN, for what that's worth.

titties
May 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

HELL

YES

E: In case I wasn't clear in my response, my voice is pretty evil and I will read a thing please

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Great, yeah anyone else who's interested, post. Also I realized I can probably get contributors a Steam key (+ credit) instead of a measly $5. If it has cards (probably but idk), you'll likely make near $5 anyways plus the free game.

The key here is variation so hopefully we can get at least a couple different voices out of each (I did eight so you have no excuse). I haven't gotten the lines yet since I want to get paid for my first chunk first before doing anything else and they're probably not translated yet anyways.

And MockingQuantum, if your setup/environment sucks you can always record at my place. You'll get a bonus payment in beer :dukedog:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Totally down!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm down for the opportunity.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

I have at least two guys who would be great for this (one of whom may even respond to your post before I tell him about it) and pending more info will be happy to put you in touch.

vvvvvvv Ha, true to form!

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 13, 2014

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can throw down a few evil dudes!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Naturally deep, booming and sinister is my specialty, lad. Count me in.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I recently found out that my agent nominated me for Best Voiceover Coach (in NY) for the Backstage Reader's Choice Awards. Having taught my first "official" voiceover class less than a year ago (with my first "official" class student coming from this very thread!), it is terribly flattering that someone I hold in such high regard considers me worthy of the title. I would love to see how far I can reach with this! Please take a moment to enter your vote for me (Melanie Ehrlich): http://offers.backstage.com/readers-choice-2014 (It's super quick! You don't need to fill out any of the other fields if you don't want to do so.) I would really appreciate it. :3:

To that end, if you live in the NYC area, come to my free voiceover class this Wednesday night, June 18th at 5:45PM! I'll be introducing my new class offerings and believe me when I say they are awesome. I can honestly say about one of my new classes that there is nothing else like it in NYC right now and I am ridiculously excited about it. :) I'll announce them here shortly after on the 18th or 19th, but come to the class if you can!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Great, yeah anyone else who's interested, post. Also I realized I can probably get contributors a Steam key (+ credit) instead of a measly $5. If it has cards (probably but idk), you'll likely make near $5 anyways plus the free game.

The key here is variation so hopefully we can get at least a couple different voices out of each (I did eight so you have no excuse). I haven't gotten the lines yet since I want to get paid for my first chunk first before doing anything else and they're probably not translated yet anyways.

And MockingQuantum, if your setup/environment sucks you can always record at my place. You'll get a bonus payment in beer :dukedog:

My setup isn't terrible, but it's limited to a vocal shield and a couple of packing blankets. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts your setup is better. Or at least less flutter-echoey.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

Love to be part of this if you're still looking for voices :)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Really happy (and appreciative) to see a bunch of interest. I'll post more info when I have it and maybe it'll be a good use for the IRC room when it's time to sort everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Hey guys if you're looking for a cheap sound dampener. Mass Drop just posted this Monoprice Microphone Isolation Shield. It goes for $80 on amazon.

I haven't bought one but I have looked into them before. Just thought I'd share.