Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

I still think Goku coming back for the Buu saga was a huge mistake.

Vegito was cool and almost made up for it. Of course even the half-Goku fusion wasn't Goku enough so they had to break that apart too.

If I could point out one particular problem with the Buu saga, it's that they have too many god drat twists and turns with the fights. Every time the protagonists think they've got this poo poo handled, they're wrong. Every time Buu thinks he's got poo poo handled, he's wrong. This poo poo happens a hundred times until finally it's somehow back to Goku using the Spirit Bomb yet a-loving-gain, except for once it actually does something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I still think Goku coming back for the Buu saga was a huge mistake.

I actually didn't mind it too much at first because of how they used Goku most of the time, the real huge mistake was devoting entire subplots to other characters getting strong enough to handle the menace on their own terms and then instantly nullifying them so Goku ends up having to save the day anyway. What they did to Gohan in the second half of the Buu arc was just unfair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I actually didn't mind it too much at first because of how they used Goku most of the time, the real huge mistake was devoting entire subplots to other characters getting strong enough to handle the menace on their own terms and then instantly nullifying them so Goku ends up having to save the day anyway. What they did to Gohan in the second half of the Buu arc was just unfair.

Not to mention the entire point of Goku deciding to stay in the afterlife to begin with was that he wanted his friends and family to be more self-reliant, because he had been their trump card since forever. Having Goku fix everything again is such bullshit, totally ruining his intent.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Watching Gohan sit and stare like a dumbass while Goku's telling him to catch that drat earring still makes me mad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Vegito was cool and almost made up for it. Of course even the half-Goku fusion wasn't Goku enough so they had to break that apart too.

"hmmm...this is pretty Goku. But it's not quite Goku enough"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Spiritus Nox posted:

Watching Gohan sit and stare like a dumbass while Goku's telling him to catch that drat earring still makes me mad.

I hope in DBZA he refuses to catch it because he really does't want to fuse with his absentee father.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

I hope in DBZA he refuses to catch it because he really does't want to fuse with his absentee father.

Honestly it's kinda fuckin' creepy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elfgames posted:

Honestly it's kinda fuckin' creepy.

Especially since Goku knows it's forever. Goku, how the gently caress are you going to explain this one to Chi-Chi?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

If I could point out one particular problem with the Buu saga, it's that they have too many god drat twists and turns with the fights. Every time the protagonists think they've got this poo poo handled, they're wrong. Every time Buu thinks he's got poo poo handled, he's wrong. This poo poo happens a hundred times until finally it's somehow back to Goku using the Spirit Bomb yet a-loving-gain, except for once it actually does something.

So basically Madara from Naruto.

Not to mention the entire point of Goku deciding to stay in the afterlife to begin with was that he wanted his friends and family to be more self-reliant, because he had been their trump card since forever. Having Goku fix everything again is such bullshit, totally ruining his intent.

Vegeta coming back to life also completely ruins his heroic sacrifice. I mean, more then it not killing Buu already did.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

No, what Vegeta did is still cool because the whole point was that he'd finally let go of his past and realized he was content with his life on Earth, and was willing to die for its sake. I mean yeah it failed spectacularly and this being DBZ death is barely a slap on the wrist but it's the thought that counts!

Spiritus Nox posted:

That wasn't even the worst part. You had Gohan MIA for god knows how many episodes doing literally nothing so that they could unlock his true potential for real, and then when it finally happens and Gohan gets to fight at his true purest form for real against the most powerful foe the universe has seen he... barely gets three episodes in before Super Buu powers up and kicks his rear end enough that Goku has to bail him out with the earrings.

Dropping the earrings and getting absorbed himself was just adding insult to injury.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

...He'll dodge it. On reflex.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh my god, that would be such a payoff. :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Better yet: Super Buu yells at him to DODGE!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

When buu absorbs Piccolo and becomes super rear end in a top hat should be fun.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Especially since Goku knows it's forever. Goku, how the gently caress are you going to explain this one to Chi-Chi?

I'm pretty sure Goku realized how ridiculously awkward it would be, but also that he had no other choice.

Well until Vegeta came along.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I sure hope that by the buu saga they aren't still rehashing old jokes like "dodge"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No. Reflex is better.
Better yet have it be the only time ever that he dodges something.

Namtab posted:

I sure hope that by the buu saga they aren't still rehashing old jokes like "dodge"

But it never stops being funny.

'Booting dodge.exe'

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Namtab posted:

If you don't do it every episode and let it simmer over time before bringing it back, I think that's grounds to refer to it as a "callback" as opposed to a "rehash"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hey team four star, you've done well so far but I think you'll gently caress everything up unless you start doing everything I say from here on out

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

CharlestheHammer posted:

When buu absorbs Piccolo and becomes super rear end in a top hat should be fun.

Super Buu absorbing Piccolo and getting three annoying voices in his head would be gold.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Goku being the one to save the day is definitely a trend going all the way back to the Red Ribbon arc. All of the other characters are gearing up to help him out, but when they get there he's already mopped up. Kuririn and Yamcha look like doofuses when they fight Uranai Baba's monsters. And then Tenshinhan is completely useless against King Piccolo and doesn't even get to defeat Drum. Finally you have everyone gawking while Goku fights Piccolo Jr.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I have no issues with Goku coming back to save the day in the Buu saga. The Buu saga is pretty terrible to begin with; and if Toriyama went into it knowing it was the last arc then it's dumb to set up so many new characters and give the series new life for it to just end there. The series really should have ended it at the Cell saga and no one would have had issues with it.

Blue Star posted:

Goku being the one to save the day is definitely a trend going all the way back to the Red Ribbon arc. All of the other characters are gearing up to help him out, but when they get there he's already mopped up. Kuririn and Yamcha look like doofuses when they fight Uranai Baba's monsters. And then Tenshinhan is completely useless against King Piccolo and doesn't even get to defeat Drum. Finally you have everyone gawking while Goku fights Piccolo Jr.

A thousand times this. If anyone complains about Z being "Goku saves the day AGAIN" then they haven't seen the original series.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

crankdatbatman posted:

A thousand times this. If anyone complains about Z being "Goku saves the day AGAIN" then they haven't seen the original series.

My original issue wasn't that Goku saves the day every time, but rather in GT he was the only character who did anything of note until Vegeta went SSj4. In the previous series' most of the time everyone had a chance to shine at one point or another, but in GT they all became side-characters while Goku did literally everything.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crankdatbatman posted:

Honestly I have no issues with Goku coming back to save the day in the Buu saga. The Buu saga is pretty terrible to begin with; and if Toriyama went into it knowing it was the last arc then it's dumb to set up so many new characters and give the series new life for it to just end there. The series really should have ended it at the Cell saga and no one would have had issues with it.

I've seen the original series and it's still dumb as hell. Buu could have been a pretty good wrap-up; they stuck with Gohan inheriting his dad's responsibilities, instead it's just like "Oh, Goku did it again. And now he's leaving again, after it was just demonstrated that these jokers still need him badly."

It's one thing for Goku to save the day, that's typical. It's another to do all this build-up to do something different and then just abruptly change your mind.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Esroc posted:

Vegeta went SSj4.

I completely forgot Vegeta did that. I sort of remember him being possessed by Baby, AKA lovely rehash fusion of buy and cell, (why does that keep happening), and I remember the golden oozaru, but I can't remember what ssj4 Vegeta looks like.

All I remember of GT before that was general dildo, and after that 17 becoming jet li's The One, Goku being dumber than usual, then the lovely character designs of the dragons.

Did I miss anything?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

visceril posted:

I completely forgot Vegeta did that. I sort of remember him being possessed by Baby, AKA lovely rehash fusion of buy and cell, (why does that keep happening), and I remember the golden oozaru, but I can't remember what ssj4 Vegeta looks like.

All I remember of GT before that was general dildo, and after that 17 becoming jet li's The One, Goku being dumber than usual, then the lovely character designs of the dragons.

Did I miss anything?

The 'stache.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

visceril posted:

lovely character designs of the dragons.

I thought Omega Shenron was kinda cool. The back spikes were a bit too much, but the rest is pretty neat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, I just finished the entire Dragon Ball manga. I had never finished the Majin Buu saga in the anime, so a lot of the stuff in the last arc was new to me. I have some of the same mixed feelings everyone else has, although in the Buu saga, our heroes seemed more screwed than they ever were before. I also did like the spirit bomb at the end and that seemed like a good way to cap things off.

I wonder if I should try watching the anime \ movies \ GT now to see the things that weren't in the manga.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I just finished the entire Dragon Ball manga. I had never finished the Majin Buu saga in the anime, so a lot of the stuff in the last arc was new to me. I have some of the same mixed feelings everyone else has, although in the Buu saga, our heroes seemed more screwed than they ever were before. I also did like the spirit bomb at the end and that seemed like a good way to cap things off.

I wonder if I should try watching the anime \ movies \ GT now to see the things that weren't in the manga.

Don't do it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Stay the gently caress away from GT.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I stand by watching the Vegeta scenes on youtube. :colbert:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

At least GT is short. Only what, like 80ish episodes? Unfortunately while a lot of GT's problems are the ridiculously terrible trainwreck bullshit Toei made up, I'm gonna say at least half the issue is that it's just boring and not fun to watch. Most of the hunt for the Black Star Dragon Balls is a really half-hearted attempt to recreate the adventurous aspects of the original Dragon Ball. The whole Bebi part has some interesting things but is mostly uninspired and has a lot of unfortunate decisions regarding the handling of certain characters (mostly Gohan, Vegeta, and Uub imo). Super 17 is borderline cool but is basically the same as the poorer movie villains in that he's pretty much invincible until Goku Does A Thing. 4 of the Shadow Dragons are complete jokes and a chore to watch. Nouva and Eis are halfway decent but then Omega Shenron happens and is just tedious and boring.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ
Step into the grand tour grand tour grand tour :getin:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Esroc posted:

My original issue wasn't that Goku saves the day every time, but rather in GT he was the only character who did anything of note until Vegeta went SSj4. In the previous series' most of the time everyone had a chance to shine at one point or another, but in GT they all became side-characters while Goku did literally everything.

I've seen maybe half an episode of GT because it looks like pure and utter garbage both plotwise and aesthetically, so you could be right. I was more referring to the Buu saga.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I've seen the original series and it's still dumb as hell. Buu could have been a pretty good wrap-up; they stuck with Gohan inheriting his dad's responsibilities, instead it's just like "Oh, Goku did it again. And now he's leaving again, after it was just demonstrated that these jokers still need him badly."

It's one thing for Goku to save the day, that's typical. It's another to do all this build-up to do something different and then just abruptly change your mind.

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my phone. I still don't see how you could argue narratively that the Buu Saga done without Goku's return would be a better ending than the Cell Saga. That way it just kind of sticks out as a weird story arch that hangs off of Dragon Ball, which is in short the legacy of Goku. The series is about Goku, no one really cares that Gohan can beat a bad guy by himself.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my phone. I still don't see how you could argue narratively that the Buu Saga done without Goku's return would be a better ending than the Cell Saga. That way it just kind of sticks out as a weird story arch that hangs off of Dragon Ball, which is in short the legacy of Goku. The series is about Goku, no one really cares that Gohan can beat a bad guy by himself.

I think Toriyama could have had his cake and ate it too, with only some minor alterations to the plot.

Instead of bringing Goku back for the tournament, barely mention him at first. Let things unfold as they did with a few tweaks. Namely Vegeta goes Majin in exchange for Babidi promising him to revive Goku for a rematch in the future if he helps to unleash Buu. Just general stuff like that to keep the overall plot intact. But leave Goku out of it for the most part. This would also lend more impact to Veggie's sacrifice. As he would decide to give up his life after realizing the danger Buu represents, despite never getting his rematch, showing even more how far he's progressed as a hero.

Have the kids learn fusion some other way, nix SSj3 Gotenks entirely and just pump up SSj1/2 Gotenks in power so he can still play his role. Have everything else play out mostly the same with Gohan returning in his Mystic Form and fulfilling his original role of fighting Buu until absorption. But this time he's the one who rejects it via deus ex mystic hooplah and freeing everyone inside Buu, fulfilling Vegetto's role. Vegetto is pretty cool as a gimmick, but I don't find him crucial to the plot.

Then everything goes to shite, everyone dies and Kid Buu invades Otherworld, that's when they reveal Goku has been watching all this unfold and is there waiting and ready for Kid Buu. He pops SSj3 for a big reveal, deceased Gohan and Vegeta join him in the brawl fulfilling a triumvirate of the original Saiyans.

Spirit Bomb. Wish everyone back. Roll credits.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm watching GT dubbed to skip the annoying voices and skipped to when Baby was awakened to lessen the strain of even watching and its fine...I guess.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I couldn't stand the music for the GT dub so I never watched more than a bit of it here and there. It had an awful soundtrack.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crankdatbatman posted:

Don't get me wrong, Cell would have been a better ending either way. If they were gonna go forward, though, it just seems dumb to go back on everything that got set up when they decided to go forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I can think of a million ways to improve the Buu saga, some of which might actually be objectively better as opposed to just being my dumb preferences, but it's still my favorite. No matter how many problems it has, I think it has a lot of the funnest moments in the entire series. Also, Mr. Satan all the way through instead of just at the end.

• Locked thread