Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

a dozen swans posted:

Let's all look at how pretty the new Rout art is.

(igor kieryluk)

Isn't Norn supposed to be like 8+ feet tall? The perspective makes her look a lot shorter there. It is nice that Igor did both versions. His Norn art is one of my favorites, and his version is a lot better than Swanland's will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Madmarker posted:

That's the thing, he isn't that bad........for the time he was printed. Creatures sucked in old magic, they got better.

Hey now, there were plenty of creatures that were good in Old Magic.

It just so happened they were degenerate combo enablers that were attached to a creature body.

"Goblin Recruiter, though, he was a chump. No way anybody was gonna break that." - me circa 1997

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 22, 2014

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Everblight posted:

I still can't believe how badKangee is. 2UW for a 2/2 legendary Flier? Already worse than Wind Drake. But wait! For the low low sum of 5UW you can get a 3/3 flier! That makes other 1/1's into 2/2's! Symmetrically!

Edit: Oh wait, he's been errata'd! For just 5UW, you STILL get a 2/2 that only conditionally buffs other creatures!

In Masques/Invasion standard, for FNM I played a domain deck that mostly won with Ordered Migration but also included a copy of Kangee because it was hilarious

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Skimming through stuff for the possible read through of Purifying Fire (I'll give it a rest before I pour posts into the thread again, don't worry). A bit of an insight into Tarkir for you, thanks to Sarkhan being mad:

Also I had totally forgotten that Young Pyromancer was based on an already existing character.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Isn't Norn supposed to be like 8+ feet tall? The perspective makes her look a lot shorter there. It is nice that Igor did both versions. His Norn art is one of my favorites, and his version is a lot better than Swanland's will ever be.

the guy posted about the art on the spoiler thread. He said making her taller was throwing off the composition of the piece

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elesh norn's only 8 feet tall? I always thought it was about the size of a cathedral, since the original art looks like the inside of one. Doesn't help that it has the stats of a titan.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hey now, there were plenty of creatures that were good in Old Magic.

It just so happened they were degenerate combo enablers that were attached to a creature body.

"Goblin Recruiter, though, he was a chump. No way anybody was gonna break that." - me circa 1997

To be fair, the card was not breakable with the cards that existed in 1997.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Elyv posted:

Oh yeah, definitely, but it's still weird to me that it was once this weird card that didn't really do much and now it's banned in Legacy. Back when Onslaught block kicked in and Goblins were the red tribal of choice, I knew Goblin Recruiter was ready for action. :allears:

Chill la Chill posted:

Elesh norn's only 8 feet tall? I always thought it was about the size of a cathedral, since the original art looks like the inside of one. Doesn't help that it has the stats of a titan.

The stats on some creatures/legends are weird when I think about it. Emmara Tandris is 5/7 for whatever reason, though I don't know the lore behind her. For all I know she really can punch a Craw Wurm to death barehanded.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 22, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Flavour Emmara has Voice of Resurgence's card text, basically. It kind of amazes me that they only worked out that they wanted all the guild champions to be one rarity (and that they wouldn't let Ral bugger stuff up by being a 'walker as opposed to the other creatures) so late, and that the resultant changes screwed so much up. I think Bayer in the books just said "sod it" and ploughed ahead with her ability to summon massive elementals - likewise, they couldn't get new art in time.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 22, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

a dozen swans posted:

Let's all look at how pretty the new Rout art is.

(igor kieryluk)

Elesh Norn really does have the best design. The Praetors are all cool, but she really has an "Angelic but also totally and horrifyingly alien" thing going on that just knocks it out of the park. I hope we get more card art with her on it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Her only weakness is doorways.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Her only weakness is doorways.

It's a folding hat. Really convenient like that. Doubles a boomerang too.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Mercury Crusader posted:

The stats on some creatures/legends are weird when I think about it. Emmara Tandris is 5/7 for whatever reason, though I don't know the lore behind her. For all I know she really can punch a Craw Wurm to death barehanded.

Power doesn't necessarily mean punching strength. A character with small stature could have high power because they use magic or have superior skill at fighting or something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Applebees posted:

Power doesn't necessarily mean punching strength. A character with small stature could have high power because they use magic or have superior skill at fighting or something.

Exactly. This is why the fat neckbeard in a trilby would be a mighty legend if he were a Magic card, because he is skilled in the way of bushido* magic.

*he probably still didn't like Kamigawa block

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Kenzo the hard-hearted is a beast in combat. 5/6 double strike. Eat poo poo tarmogoyf

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
And yet Creative killed a 12/12 Human card for Hercules, because a human tribal character shouldn't be that big. drat you, Beyer!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Applebees posted:

I like to imagine that she can throw a mean right hook.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

I dunno, three goblins attacking for 15+ damage on turn 4 was sort of a thing by the standards of the day.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

I dunno, three goblins attacking for 15+ damage on turn 4 was sort of a thing by the standards of the day.

Man, I do not know my old decks as well as I thought I did. How did you do that in 1997?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Does anyone know of any good places to start if I want to build a cheap cube that I can then start adding more expensive cards to? I don;t mean a pauper cube, as I'm happy to use rares as long as they don't destroy my bank balance.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

Man, I do not know my old decks as well as I thought I did. How did you do that in 1997?
You cast Song of Blood, which was printed in the same set. Your one drop, two drop and three drop all get +4/+0.

I think Song still sees play in pauper sometimes.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

newtestleper posted:

Does anyone know of any good places to start if I want to build a cheap cube that I can then start adding more expensive cards to? I don;t mean a pauper cube, as I'm happy to use rares as long as they don't destroy my bank balance.

Ways to build a budget cube, from cheapest to most expensive:
-throw together 360 cards you own and get your play group to suggest substitutions, then trade for those
-just proxy anything expensive (someone I know has a Highlighter Cube - you could probably find somewhere to bulk print in colour if you looked)
-build a genuinely cheap cube where you actually own almost all of the cards (and then proxy up a really nice manabase)

If you're looking for a list of generally cheap cube-tier cards, I found this post invaluable.

e: also, get decent(or better) sleeves.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 23, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

You cast Song of Blood, which was printed in the same set. Your one drop, two drop and three drop all get +4/+0.

Unrelated, but the coolest thing was when Odyssey came out and people tried to use Song of Blood in Extended to make a threshold beatdown deck. It actually got played at a Pro Tour, I think. Mind you, this was when PT teams and playtesting weren't quite as tight as today.

I want to say I've heard that Song was slated for reprinting in Odyssey block itself but they removed it at the last minute, same with Mulch. That might just be an urban legend though.

Ahh, the days when Extended was Ice Age and up (plus duals). :allears:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Elyv posted:

I'm not sure about 15 Damage turn 4. But you could be pretty aggressive back in the day with Mogg Flunkies, Mogg Conscripts, Goblin Shrine, and Goblin King. Many a teen in 1998 thought they'd broken the game with a similar deck before going to their LGS and getting crushed by Necro or something equally degenerate.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sligh beat necro. I'm pretty sure that was the point of sligh and what got people qualified.

JerryLee posted:

I want to say I've heard that Song was slated for reprinting in Odyssey block itself but they removed it at the last minute, same with Mulch. That might just be an urban legend though.

I miss old extended. It's really weird how you think back to it and realize they put in a clause to extend the legality of the duals just to keep that format going. I don't think they've done anything like that in a decade, have they? Weird clauses on formats? I still firmly believe modern masters should allow reprints from earlier sets, to shoehorn in some old stuff without having to pass it through standard first.

I've never heard the mulch thing but I can remember talking about mulch being an avenue for adding card advantage to green back in those days. It surprises me realizing I believed in the color pie existing back then. Sort of like thinking back and realizing you used to be catholic by accident or something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Unrelated, but the coolest thing was when Odyssey came out and people tried to use Song of Blood in Extended to make a threshold beatdown deck. It actually got played at a Pro Tour, I think. Mind you, this was when PT teams and playtesting weren't quite as tight as today.

I remember reading the same thing, they thought it was too powerful.

The Extended days I miss are when I started following competitive Magic, which was around Darksteel. There were like 15 different viable decks; sure, most of them were combo decks, but there were some really interesting ones. Also RDW was viable and any format with a viable RDW/Sligh deck has to be pretty good.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Cactrot posted:

I bet if EDH talk were in it's own thread it would quickly plummet to the bottom of the forum. People only talk about EDH to complain about EDH being dumb.

Let's find out, here's the new Commander Thread! Please redirect all qualms and praise for the beloved format there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Spiderdrake posted:

Still the greatest tournament report of all time.

"How I won the Mid-Atlantic regionals with my Song of Blood Deck"

John M. Shuler posted:

Hey there folks, I'll kill the suspense with my catchy title.

Well, the night before Regionals, I was up pretty late trying to
figure out what to play. I was debating between Counterpost with
main deck cop:red, or pure red burn/disk/cos main deck. I decided
in the end to go with counterpost, thinking that all the good
players will think that everyone is going to play blue, and they
will play heavy red to beat it. So counterpost it is to beat
that heavy red.

I wake up the morning of regionals rather late. I know registration
starts at 9am, and the tournament starts at 10. I live about 45 minutes
away from where it is being held. When I wake up, it is 9:30. That's
bad. I FLY down 495 at breakneck speeds to arrive just in time
to plead my way in, as they are just starting to call pairings.
They let me in! I happily accept the deck reg form and since I
can't remember the basic land ratio of islands to plains (is it
7/7 or 6/8?) so I open up my deck to look. Problem. This is
not my counterpost deck.

uh oh

I grabbed the wrong deck off my desk, in my hurry to make it
on time. I accidentally grabbed my Song of Blood deck, which
is yes, for friendly play. I wince, and notice that teh
tourny organizer is looking at me. "problem?" he asks. "umm"
I say, thinking rapidly. I have to either play this or
not play at all. "Nope, no problem" I say, consigning myself
to a thousand lost DCI points, because I really want to play.

So I reg the deck, and find out there will be 9
rounds. Ugh

ok, here is the deck list, try not to laugh, it was
meant for FRIENDLY play

Red:
4 Goblin Recruiter
3 Song of Blood
3 Goblin Tinkerer
4 Keeper of Kookus
4 Goblin Swine Riders
2 Fireblast
1 Pyrokinesis
2 Jokulhaups
2 Earthquake
1 Goblin Scouts
2 Errantry (a fun deck, I tell you!)
2 Relentless Assault
2 Ball Lightning
1 Orgg
2 Pyroblast (wrote it down, pulled two silly cards for them as
I walked into the room. I knew blue would be big and crush
me, needed 'em main deck)

Blue:

4 Impulse
3 Mystical Tutor
1 Juxtapose (a fun deck, I say!)

Artifacts:

2 Nev's Disk
1 Skull Catapult
1 Time Bomb

Sideboard:
2 Cursed Totem (r/g crap and flying efreets)
1 Simoon
3 Sirroco
2 Pyroblast
1 Kormus Bell (black likes this with earthquake)
3 Political Trickery
1 City of Solitude
2 Pyrokinesis

Round 1: Chad Day - r/g weenie swarm

Playing against one of your friends in the 1st round of
regionals is just not a good sign. We joke about just
intentional drawing, then get down to it.

Game 1: Chad plays first after winning the die roll. His
first turn consists of forest, spirit guide, dervish. I
go and lay a mountain and a keeper, thinking myself
safe. He puts some Armor on the Dervish on his second
turn. He attacks, I'm at 17, and he has a 4/4 creature
out. I have had all of one turn. This sucks. My turn,
I lay an undiscovered and the Recruiter, because I have
a song in my hand. At this point chad is like "WHAT the
hell are you playing?" I set upthe other 3 Keepers and
a Swine Riders. Suddenly chad figures out what sort of
deck I have. His turn, he drops a ghazban and attacks. I block
with the keeper and then just kinesis the dervish away anyway,
before damage is dealt. My turn, mountain, keeper. Sac both
mountains to fireblast chad. I'm at 17, he's at 16. His upkeep,
the Ogre is MINE. On his turn he drops a granger and is
done. My turn, I drop a mountain and attack with everything. Chad
goes to 12. His turn he plays a bird and a land. My turn, I play
the undiscovered and attack again. He doesn't block. I cast
song of blood. First card, the keeper I set up. Second, ball
lightning, 3rd mountain, 4th goblin tinkerer. Chad grimaces,
but takes his 13 like a man. On his turn, he incinerates the
ghazban and says go. My turn, I drop the undiscovered again
and attack with the keepers. Granger pings one, and I active
the ability. Chad is not happy. A bird blocks one, but chad
is at two. I quake next turn to win.

Game 2: I sideboard in the simoon, the totems, and the kinesis,
pulling the juxtapose, the pyroblasts and a swine rider. He
plays first again, and once again puts out a turn one dervish. I
once again put out a turn 1 keeper. On his second turn he
puts out a granger and a bird. Thank god, no armor. At the
end of his turn, I kinesis away all of his critters. On my
turn, I play an impulse and attack with the keeper. the impulse
nets me a ball lightning. His turn he drops an elf and is
done. I attack with the ball and the keeper, he doesn't block.
That first kinesis just wiped him out. Eventually I quake him to
death.

record: 1-0 match, 2-0 games

Round 2: Biren Amin playing Supercounter with flying fatties

Game one consists of me dropping lotsa weenies early, having
a song countered, and bringing him down to 4 before the
air elemental/waterspout beatdown smacked me. Didn't draw
one of the pyroblasts. :(

Game two, I have a turn 2 sirroco, but I wait until turn
3, so I can blast his counter, too. He had NO creatures
in his hand, just an island, and a ton of arcanes/sinks/
counters. He keeps one, and loses the rest. On my turn, I
make him use the counter with my ball lighting. A few
turns later, I beat him with just regular weenie swarm
style. Sirocco was huge.

Game three is a long, slow, tiring game. I am at 4 life
at the end of Biren's turn, looking down the barrel of a
Waterspout. I go for the glory and pyroblast it. He
counters. I pyroblast it. He counters. I pyroblast it.
He Forces. He has 1 card left and is tapped out (1 mana,
it's quicksand. :) ). My turn, I draw it off the top:
Jokulhaups. I haups, lay a land. He does nothing. I haups,
lay a land, Recruiter. Muahaha. Put 3 creatures on
top. Needless to say I recover fast enough to smash him

Record: 2-0 match, 4-1 games

Round 3: Derek Rank, playing r/u counterburn

Derek is really cool, but he seems a little nervous. I win
the toss and put out a turn one keeper. He sighs and
complains about stupid red burn decks. I grin. He does
his obligatory first turn r/u glacier and I go, playing
a recruiter. He looks at me funny. I shrug. He laughs.
Then he shows me a force of will. He asks me if I think
he should counter it. I inform him that the recruiter is
mighty and initiates many a beatdown. Derek says "how
abotu I just force your song of blood instead?" I
grimace. My turn ends after an attack with the keeper. Derek
lays the glacier on his turn after pulling U and I go
again. I've set 5 creatures on top at this point. I draw
and drop a keeper and a swine rider. I attack and say
done. Derek glaciers. Love those u/r decks. He has out
an island, a mountain, and the glacier. on my turn, I
lay a land, and cast song of blood. "Not likely" says
derek as he arcanes it. "Oh really?" I say, pyroblasting
it with my MAIN DECK PYROBLAST. "No, not likely at
all" he says as he forces it with a frenetic. "I'd
have to disagree, derek." I say, as I use my SECOND
AND ONLY OTHER MAIN DECK PYROBLAST to stop his
force. He grimaces this time.

I cast song of blood. I pray for the 4th card, and it is
a tinkerer! All my creatures get +4/+0. I attack with
a 6/2 and 3 5/1s. Derek dies the turn 4 Goblin death. I
am about to dance on the table.

hehehe

Game 2: I really rubbed it in, so derek is gunning
for me hard this game. I drop early weenies, he
burns them away. He drops a frenetic and starts
attacking. I drop a cursed totem. He counters. I
blast. He counters. I blast. He forces. I sirrco
him, since he is tapped out. He loses 2 Arcanes, and
pays 4 to keep a counter. Next turn I sirocco again,
and he says 'why pay?' and shows me his counter and
a glacier. Sirocco was huge again, and weenies
smacked him faster than his frenetic smacked me.

Record: 3-0 match, 6-1 game

Round 4: MJ with a sands/equipose

MJ is playing like 10 colors, with disenchants, arcanes,
geddon, sylvan, diamonds, burn, what have you.

Game 1: I recruiter on turn 5, the turn after he lays
the sands. He doesn't lay the equipose next turn, and I
song on turn 6, doing 20 points. :) he doesn't have
the counter. he does however show me the tutor he just
drew, so I was just in time.

Game 2: this is just plain weird. On turn 3, I trickery/
undiscovered away his only land. He plays another
on his 5th turn, and I trickery/undiscovered THAT
away, too. Trickeries came in for threatened outposts,
but the oppurtunity was just too good to pass up. I
kill him regularly.

We play one more for fun since the first two
went so fast:

Game 3: He gets the combo out fast, on turn 4 or so
with the diamonds (turn 3 pose, turn 4 sands). All
he needs is the geddon. I tap out protecting a Keeper
so I'd have my mana on my turn. my turn, I lay a time
bomb. Guess what? Turns out he sided out all of his
artifact kill against me. 17 turns later, I drop a land
and blow it up. Thanks to mr keeper on turns 2, 3, and
4, he dies.

Record: 4-0 match, 8-1 games

by now, people are coming to me and asking me if I am "really"
playing a goblin recruiter deck. So of course I act like
I planned it, and am very serious about a little speech
I give about how recruiter/song is great in the metagame
because of the speed. I don't know how I kept a straight
face.

Round 5: John Sorrentino with monoblue disk/rainbow

He's got a horde of counters, but not much removal other
than the disks. I manage to get him down to around 8
before he disks and lays a rainbow. On my turn, I look
at the board. He's got 4 untapped islands. I jokulhaups.
He looks at me funny. I say "what?" he points out that
the rainbow can phase. I smack myself in the head
and mention that was probably a silly thing to do, ten
then I ASK him to counter it. He declines, laughing.

gotcha, sucker.

He phases it, everything goes away. I drop a mountain
and use my MAIN DECK PYROBLAST on his turn the moment that
sucker phases back in. John is no longer amused, and
he knows I tricked him. Good thing he didn't have
a force. He had used 2 that game so far, so I took the
gamble.

Game 2: Not even funny. My opening hand was like: mountain
city, sirocco, sirocco, city of solitude, red blast,
ball lightning. And I drew a pyroblast. I did it the
fun way. Turn 2 sirocco is forced. Turn 3 ball lighting
is countered. Turn 4 sirocco gets through with the
double blast backup (only needed to use 1, though), and
turn 5 sees a city of solitude for his empty hand. He
draws a disk and will wipe the board next turn (about
7-8 turns later) and have a full hand. He's at 9,
though, thanks to creature poor draws on my part and
implusing away the only song of blood I'm to see that
game. My draw? Relentless assault. I attack for
5, and assault him. He says "no one plays with that card!"
I say "I do."

he was really cool, though.

Record: 5-0 match, 10-1 games

Round 6: My opponent didn't want me to take any
notes, so at his request, I didn't. His name was
phil something. He had r/g weenie with growths over
armors.

Game one: don't remember the details, but earthquake
followed by 2 ball lightnings was huge.

Game two: I get my statistical mana death draw of the
day and die.

Game three: I disk early, then drop like 3 creatures.
He's overextended himself, and I win.

Record: 6-0 match, 12-2 games

Round 7: Mike Flores, with a new Pile of Bitches

I ask why Mike is at this regionals over the NY
one, but he's in town visiting friends, so he
decided to hit this one. We've all seen mike's
WHITE WEENIE deck.. it had minor modifications,
though. He was playing freewinds standard, along
with like a thousand geddons and wraths and
disks. He also packed Justice standard. That
wasn't good.

Game 1: Mike can't have a first turn vice, but
he CAN have a first turn Mtenda Herder. And a
turn 2 knight. And a turn 3 Wolf & Crusade. Too
bad I had to kinesis in responce to his dropping
the crusade. I have nothing in hand, but I impulse,
draw another impulse, use that one, too, and finally
get to some good stuff. I lay a disk, quake twice
to keep him quiet, and to keep creatures off the
board. Then I haups, tapping all my land first. He
gives me the evil eye. I grin. All the permanents
go away, including my unused disk. I have 5 mana
floating. I cast keeper of kookus. I cast
Errantry. I cast Errantry again. Mike stares at
it like great cleavage. I smile. Mike says "If
that wasn't the coolest thing I've seen in
the last year, I'd be upset right now". 3 turns
later, with no land for Mike, I win.

Mike shakes his head and mutters for the rest
of the day, I'm told.

Game 2: He puts out a turn 2 outpost. I tutor at
the end of his turn. He looks at me, perplexed. I
cast a turn 3 trickery. On his 3rd turn, he plays
a knight. I impluse at the end of his turn. Yes,
I think I'll take that trickery. My 4th
turn sees a trickery of a plains for my undiscovered
(had to let him have a mountain earlier). 1 earthquake,
2 disks, and 2 pyrokenesises later, mike is running
REALLY low on creatures. We both just trade removal
forever, and he keeps telling me that he did NOT
sideboard out his 4 armageddons. He's got his
justice out, so the tokens are my only real offense
at this point, and with all the removal between us,
it is going slow. Then the game breaker hits. I
draw my skull catapult. Mike has used his only 2
disenchants on a Cursed Totem and the time bomb. I
start throwing my useless red creatures at him. Take
2. Take 2. Take 2. Skull catapult is about to do him
in, when he begs me to kill him properly, at least,
for his own peace of mind. To show his good faith he
lets the justice go away (he's at 2, on my turn
he dies anyway). Since mike is cool, I summon a
ball lighting to take him down on my turn. So it's
not as if he was KILLED BY SKULL CATAPULT or anything,
because he wasn't... :)

Record: 7-0, 14-2

By now, word is REALLY getting out about my deck. :)

Round 8: Remus Shepard, with a lakebasket varient

Game 1: He coercions me on turn 3, after I drop a recruiter
and set up 6 creatures. Seeing *2* songs of blood in
my hand does not make him happy. He takes one, but I
kill him 2 turns later, on my 5th turn with 21 points
of damage, after kinesising away his rat and pump
knight. Gotta love this stuff. He is not happy. :)

Game 2: He gets a good draw. On my 5th turn, I have
out 3 land and 2 keepers. I kinesised once, and he
just mindwarped the other 5 away. A lone pump knight
the next turn whittles me down to basket range. drat,
that sucks.

Game 3: We trade early damage and removal in the form
of earthquakes and contagions. I eventually have to
pop a disk to keep from getting run over from snake
tokens, and we are left with merely land. On his
turn, he goes, and says done. I then proceed to
play out every newbie's dream. On my turn, I cast
ball lightning and attack. I then Relentless Assault
and hit him for 6 MORE. I then sac 2 mountains
for the cheesy fireblast kill. He shows me his
hand: Land, Drain life. He would have been able
to ritual drain me to death the next turn.

that was.. .close

record: 8-0, 16-2

Round 9: final round

Elliot Fertik and I do the cheesy intentional draw route,
and then play for fun anyway. We play like 5 games. Game
1, I kill him on turn 4. Game 2, I kill him on turn
5. Game 3, I kill him on turn 4 again. Game 4 he actualyl
draws a counterspell, and he wins a long, drawn out
battle. Game 5, Swine Rider was huge after a late game
forced thorugh with blasts-haups.

Final record: 8-0-1, 16-2 games

TOP SEED!! :)

Round of 8:

No Name: missed his name, he was with Forgotten Worb, and
had Spites in his deck as a twist.

Game 1: I could have done it turn 5, but I had to zap his
critters with a quake, then I had to pyroblast a
skulker on my turn. But I do it on turn 6. 22 points of damage,
since myriders & tinkerers survive a 1 point quake much
better than mr pump knight and mr sewer rat. yeeeha

game 2: he makes a critical error by forgetting that
I have a cursed totem out, and can't first strike his
2 pump knights when I block then with my recruiter and
a keeper. A simoon lets me clear his board almost completely
after I drop a kormus bell, and it is game over at
that point. He is quite upset at losing to Simoon.

Round of 4: Kelly Norton, with a funky Haups deck.

Game 1: Things go somewhat slow at first, with me pecking
away at him early on. He eventually Haups. and floats
enough to play an Orgg in the same turn. My turn: mountain,
keeper of kookus, go.

muahahhaha

that about sums up game 1. I impulsed my way to a song when
I had enough weenies out, and ran him over.

Game 2: Kelly plays a turn 2 diamond. Then he plays a
turn 4 Maro, using an undiscoverd to cast it, and glaciering
on my turn. I get smacked by 9/9 maro, then by 9/9 maro
again next turn as he drops his undiscoverd and just burns on it
on my turn to put it back in his hand. I concede. :)

Game 3: Turn 1: Keeper. Turn 2: attack, Swine rider (K-19),
Turn 3: attack, Keeper, Recruiter (K-16). Turn 4: Attack,
Song of Blood. Song of Blood. (K- now at negative 12).

Best my deck drew out all day, with the exception of the
Fertik fun games.

Finals: John Becker with green stuff

Game 1: he puts out 4 land in a row, then a maro. Since I've
been holding a Relentless, 2 pyroblasts, a haups, a Scouts,
a Fireblast and a Kinesis, I have just been play land, too.
I have out a lone keeper, since I drew first. My draw this
turn, after he drops maro: Juxtapose. I try REALLY hard
not to laugh as I juxtapose our creatures. I advise him
that geddoning now would not be a great idea. My next turn
I kinesis the keeper and a ranger away with my pyroblast,
then attack for 6. Relentless Assault. Attack for 5. Go.
He drops a lurgy. I play a land, fireblast it, attack
for 4. Why must maro shrink? His turn, he does nothing.
My turn, i do 4.

gotta love that juxtapose.

Game 2: Turn 3 ball lighting. Turn 4 ball lightning. Turn
5 CAST Fireblast. Then proceed to draw absolutely
nothing while I get beat down to 2 via weenies and direct
damage. I'm dead on his next turn when like the good
player I am, I draw it off the top: Jokulhaups. I haups,
then lay a land, since that's all I'm drawing. He does
nothing, I draw a keeper and play him. He does
nothing, I draw the errantry and hold it up to the crowd.
A wild cheer happens. I show him. He laughs.

and that's how a Song of Blood/Recruiter deck won
the Mid Atlantic regionals.

Don't underestimate impulse, it's a killer.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

BXCX posted:

Let's find out, here's the new Commander Thread! Please redirect all qualms and praise for the beloved format there.

I think you missed a critical time to use 'strictly better', but regardless thanks for the new thread!

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
Armageddon being printed at Mythic for Vintage Masters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcnealys baby posted:

Armageddon being printed at Mythic for Vintage Masters.

Kind of annoying, but I don't think I want to see Armageddon showing up very often in draft.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Elesh Norn really does have the best design. The Praetors are all cool, but she really has an "Angelic but also totally and horrifyingly alien" thing going on that just knocks it out of the park. I hope we get more card art with her on it.

Her whole faction of white Phyrexians has the creepy porcelain-plates-grafted-directly-onto-bare-flesh look. It's definitely a very cool and nasty design that really sells the "White Villain" concept.

I just realized that the unfortunate victims in the art are turning to porcelain and shattering. Ouch.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
IGN posted a video of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015, and there are some interesting cards:

It's hard to make out, but it looks like the returning mechanic this year is Convoke. I thought that would be the returning mechanic in M13 but hey two years off ain't bad.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So who called Convoke again? I know someone did with the whole seeded Inspired thing.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Looking at it again I think that black spell is called "Flesh to Blood" which is :krad:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Looks like "Flesh to Dust" to me

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Looks like "Flesh to Dust" to me

A man can dream, can't he?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
"Cruel Sadist" is offensively pleonastic. :colbert:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

jscolon2.0 posted:

And yet Creative killed a 12/12 Human card for Hercules, because a human tribal character shouldn't be that big. drat you, Beyer!

More than 5 combined P/T? Whoa that can't be a human soldier gotta be a catperson or an elf to do that guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Using my power of squinting real hard, I got this. I might be off.

Shadowcloak Vampire
4B (I think)
Creature - Vampire
Pay 2 life: Shadowcloak Vampire gains flying until end of turn.
4/3

Cruel Sadist
B
Creature - Human Assassin
B, T, Pay 1 life: Put a +1/+1 counter on Cruel Sadist.
1B, T, remove X +1/+1 counters from Cruel Sadist: Cruel Sadist deals X damage to target creature.
1/1

Triplicate Spirits
4WW (I think)
Sorcery
Convoke
Put three 1/1 white Spirit creatures with flying onto the battlefield.

Flesh to Dust
2BB
Instant
Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

Seraph of the Masses
5WW
Creature - Angel
Convoke
Flying
Seraph of the Masses's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures you control.
*/*

• Locked thread