Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Atomicated posted:

There were definitely people this time last year that thought the Wii U was just one or two releases away from taking off. There were also people who thought the PS4 and Xbone would do sell so badly that the Wii U would look good in comparison. This thread was full of denial a year ago.

???

Go to the very first page of this thread, which incidentally was.. this time last year, and you see nothing but pessimism and people noting the writing on the wall. You see the occasional optimistic person that's hopeful a single game would turn things around but outside that, people knew what the WiiU was early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Astro7x posted:

Mod Nation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting had the tools to make some really nice custom tracks.

You know, when people weren't using them to just recreate Mario Kart tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVXkbD0VcO8

Here is a good example of what you can do that doesn't just look like generic 2D course design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJzUUOKFauk

Oh sure, but if they tried to make a game that worked like that, they couldn't make a game that looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnNlLGu4kWQ

:stare: Seriously the best looking game I've seen yet. The only real-time rendering I've seen on this level are Epic tech demos.

The jump from Wii to WiiU graphics on Mario Kart is STUPID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2qKXrCbvc

So you could make a custom cart racer that looks like Wii MK or a bit better, but you couldn't make MK8 play like that.

Also Hyrule Warriors is looking good:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 22, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just wait until the PS4 has games coming out for it.

Right now it's the calm before the storm.
I'm not sure that the PS4 will sell in Japan if the trend is towards mobile there, but that's not exactly good news for Nintendo either. If 3DS is the best selling next-gen platform in Japan then that's nothing but bad news for the future.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 22, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's probably been asked but: do proper game consoles (and gaming hardware for PC) sell less overall than before? Isn't it the case that conventional consumers switch to mobile devices to play simple, non-challenging games and that this is basically depriving proper consoles and pc games from an economy of scale? PS2 and Wii sold huge because that's what you had to get if you wanted to play a game, but nowadays a lot of the market seems to be moving to other devices. Can you really build and sell something as expensive to develop as a dedicated high end gaming console at a profit at all if it's becoming such a niche device, even for Microsoft or Sony? Maybe the time of buying a separate machine for playing games and putting it next to your TV is just over, and Nintendo is just having the worst of it compared to the other two.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

It's probably been asked but: do proper game consoles (and gaming hardware for PC) sell less overall than before? Isn't it the case that conventional consumers switch to mobile devices to play simple, non-challenging games and that this is basically depriving proper consoles and pc games from an economy of scale? PS2 and Wii sold huge because that's what you had to get if you wanted to play a game, but nowadays a lot of the market seems to be moving to other devices. Can you really build and sell something as expensive to develop as a dedicated high end gaming console at a profit at all if it's becoming such a niche device, even for Microsoft or Sony? Maybe the time of buying a separate machine for playing games and putting it next to your TV is just over, and Nintendo is just having the worst of it compared to the other two.

Combined sales of PS4 and Xbox One are higher than sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 were at the same point, so while this could be, you don't really have the data to support this being an industry-wide thing yet.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Shibawanko posted:

Maybe the time of buying a separate machine for playing games and putting it next to your TV is just over, and Nintendo is just having the worst of it compared to the other two.
While it looks like that might be the case in Japan, the PS4 is still selling like hotcakes everywhere, and even the Xbone isn't doing too badly at least in the US and UK, truth be told. Japan is the only place where the Wii U is selling competetively with other next-gen consoles, it's just that in that case that means, pretty much not at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Louisgod posted:

???

Go to the very first page of this thread, which incidentally was.. this time last year, and you see nothing but pessimism and people noting the writing on the wall. You see the occasional optimistic person that's hopeful a single game would turn things around but outside that, people knew what the WiiU was early on.

Yeah, but isn't there more than one thread on the Wii U? I mean this is kind of an off shoot of the Wii U Discussion thread and I believe before the current Wii U Discussion thread, there was another one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, but isn't there more than one thread on the Wii U? I mean this is kind of an off shoot of the Wii U Discussion thread and I believe before the current Wii U Discussion thread, there was another one.

Probably, but he said "this time last year", not "January of last year" or whenever (and he said "this thread"), when the console was still relatively fresh and unproven. I think prospects for the success of the console was still a bit hopeful in January/February before NPD numbers got really bad.

Anyway, point is that a few months after the console's release people were still kinda hopeful but by the time May hit it was pretty obvious this thing was gonna flop but there MAY still be hope if they could pull a 3DS turnaround.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Wii U has some good games, and I might still pick one up used for $100 or so, but I never had any illusions it would be a giant success.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was one of the people that doubted the PS4/XBO would be the success that they are. With so many games being released for the PS3/360 still, I thought there would be a large chunk of people unwilling to make the switch so quickly for games with better graphics. I guess I am still one of those people, as I am holding out on a PS4.

At this point last year, all that was on the horizon was Pikmin, W101, and Wind Waker HD. I don't think people thought that any of those would move consoles, and they didn't. Super Mario 3D World failing to move a significant amount of consoles really sealed the systems fate for me.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Wii U has some good games, and I might still pick one up used for $100 or so, but I never had any illusions it would be a giant success.

Well you're in luck because the Wii U has a lot of great games! Many of which can be had at reduced cost.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
All of which I'd pay full price for on Steam, but won't pay full price for on Wii U.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And now the last publisher to support Wii U is stepping away.

quote:

Ubisoft's E3 2014 lineup won't feature any Nintendo games, according to the publisher.

"We won't be showing off any Nintendo games at E3 this year," a Ubisoft representative said.

Currently, the only upcoming game from Ubisoft for a Nintendo platform is the delayed release of Watch Dogs, which is expected, at best, this fall, months after the May 27 release of Watch Dogs on other systems.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37499/no-wii-u-or-3ds-games-from-ubisoft-at-e3-2014

Time to send Wii U to a farm where it can run and play.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Dang not even 3DS games from Ubisoft of all publishers is crazy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I really hope by the next time Nintendo launches a console, they'll put more work than none at all into getting third-party support. Who is even left now besides Platinum, who's only making WiiU games because Nintendo is footing the bill?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A bunch of Kickstarter games from kids.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Guys, please wait until E3, I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises and 3rd parties will realize the WiiU has a ton of poteneiaahahahahhaahhahahah

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus once Bayonetta 2 comes out you really think they're going to stick with Nintendo? They'll immediately begin (if they haven't already) work on Metal Gear Rising 2 and some PS4/One stuff.

All that remains...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGQQ6DziDg

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Didn't it come out recently they've signed a deal with Microsoft to make an exclusive on the Bone?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I didn't buy my Wii U to play third party titles and I'm okay with that. It will sit in the closet until MK8 comes out. I'm pretty sure most of the other people who own a Wii U are in the same boat; anyone who bought this thing especially on release thinking it would be a sleeper hit was way too optimistic.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Seriously the best looking game I've seen yet. The only real-time rendering I've seen on this level are Epic tech demos.

What?

quote:

Also Hyrule Warriors is looking good:

What is looks like is irrelevant, it's a Dynasty Warriors game, which means it'll be loving terrible.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Edmund Honda posted:

What is looks like is irrelevant, it's a Dynasty Warriors game, which means it'll be loving terrible.

Without exaggeration it will probably be the worst Zelda game since the CD-i. Here's the game's villain, by the way:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I've seen it expressed before--not just here, but elsewhere--that Mario Kart 8 is a seriously good looking game and a real technical achievement, but I confess that I just don't see it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, but not so great that it's worthy of the praise it gets. Maybe it's the kind of thing you need to see in person?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Dang not even 3DS games from Ubisoft of all publishers is crazy.

Phones and tablets are a much better platform for shovelware these days, especially with the possibilities of ad revenue and micro-transactions.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Polo-Rican posted:

Without exaggeration it will probably be the worst Zelda game since the CD-i. Here's the game's villain, by the way:

What the poo poo? Did Nintendo let Team Ninja have another crack at one of their games?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fulchrum posted:

What the poo poo? Did Nintendo let Team Ninja have another crack at one of their games?

Yes, actually :v:

They're helping out on Hyrule Warriors.

e: That character design is loving atrocious and I'm honestly surprised Nintendo let it happen.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fulchrum posted:

It's being made by Tecmo Koei, so basically yes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh sure, but if they tried to make a game that worked like that, they couldn't make a game that looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnNlLGu4kWQ

You mean best looking Wii U game, I hope? Like even we fellow contards are seeing this on other systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyf61_akxZ4

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Probably more lively than Twilight Princess at least!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's funny how that particular grotesque style of spherical CG tits is recognizably by Team Ninja even out of context.

Also, her motivation is literally that she wants to bone Link and is jealous of Zelda.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Hyrule Warriors will be allowed to use voice acting or if you're going to be mowing through hundreds of completely silent enemies punctuated by the finest MIDI music money can buy and the bubbada-bubbada-bubbada sound of scrolling text whenever the talking heads say something.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not enough Wii U's have sold for any one of Nintendo's popular IP's to do well enough for them. I doubt any IP of Nintendo's is enough to get people to rush out and buy the Wii U as well.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Need for Speed: The Run looks pretty much on level with that, and it has obnoxious dirt on the lens, to boot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

I said come in! posted:

Not enough Wii U's have sold for any one of Nintendo's popular IP's to do well enough for them. I doubt any IP of Nintendo's is enough to get people to rush out and buy the Wii U as well.

Mainline Pokmon absolutely would. But they seem dumbly hung up on keeping that exclusive to their handhelds.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Polo-Rican posted:

There's 3 actually, one appears to be a sort of human Volvagia and the other seems to be a wizrobe or whatever they where called.

And holy poo poo, can people shut the gently caress up about the design already? I've never seen so much whining about something so utterly irrelevant.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Team Ninja should trademark their signature 3D tits and alter the texture to include that one blue vein leading to the nipple for added realism.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

I've never seen so much whining about something so utterly irrelevant.

That means it's not irrelevant, then. :rolleye:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Alteisen posted:

There's 3 actually, one appears to be a sort of human Volvagia and the other seems to be a wizrobe or whatever they where called.

And holy poo poo, can people shut the gently caress up about the design already? I've never seen so much whining about something so utterly irrelevant.

People in this forum are okay with posting what practically amounts to lolicon and furry stuff but if you see actual boobs they freak out.

Different strokes :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I've never seen so much whining about something so utterly irrelevant.

I think you're mistaking "gleeful derision" for whining. It's bad in a really funny way and it is fun to mock the 12-year-old concept artists behind it.

• Locked thread