Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

caberham posted:

Interesting! I just want to learn how to set network logins and group policy for home network and eventually learn how to tinker with the office‘s Windows Server 2000. Initially I was thinking of setting up a linux solution so that our computers don't have to be windows machines but I suppose getting the new server 2012 R2 and setting up AD is easier?

Im starting to study CompTIA Network+ on my own and it seems like it's more about setting up wifi and physical networks. Where can I learn more about setting up group policies and network infrastructure? Any guidance appreciated! Eventually I would like to learn how to set up my ultimate goon base: using enterprise tools for my home.

Setting up Radius login, VPN server, issuing guest certificates and setting up a guest portal, setting up a home portal for all users, dumping local documents of different machines into shares/ready to stream photos/colloboration ala google docs/syncing calendars/monitoring/web site filtering/chat messaging logging/having a web cam sync with the door/linking baby monitors/etc..

It's for my family and extended family. Yes we will still use whatsapp, wechat, facebook chat, etc, but it would be nice to set up a central repository for different chat logs, photos, and other items. Even when we replace new phones/computers/add new devices. Am I dreaming too much?

Linux can authenticate with AD through various means (Pam_LDAP+pam_krb5, winbind, centrify, etc). It doesn't bar you from centralized auth at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Okay, going to bite the bullet and schedule ROUTE for the 6th of June. How important is it to get the LSA's for OSPF down? EIGRP I have down, BGP, I can have down if I glance over my notes again, IPv6 knowledge, I'm pretty keen on. Anything else I should really scrub up my knowledge on?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

trunkwontopen posted:

Okay, going to bite the bullet and schedule ROUTE for the 6th of June. How important is it to get the LSA's for OSPF down? EIGRP I have down, BGP, I can have down if I glance over my notes again, IPv6 knowledge, I'm pretty keen on. Anything else I should really scrub up my knowledge on?

You'll need to have them memorized. Brush up on route maps and policy-based routing.

Thrawn
Sep 10, 2004

psydude posted:

You'll need to have them memorized. Brush up on route maps and policy-based routing.

Seconding this, also make sure you understand things like route tagging & basic IPSEC/GRE VPN configs. & especially make sure you've got IGP redistribution down cold.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

Thrawn posted:

Seconding this, also make sure you understand things like route tagging & basic IPSEC/GRE VPN configs. & especially make sure you've got IGP redistribution down cold.

I'll definitely work on these. Thanks! I have some videos to watch, as I'm almost finished up with Odom's book. It did a great job filling in the holes that were left over from CCNA, and I really want to get this exam passed, not so much for the CCNA refresh, but more for the fact that I can take a break from education for a month and go on a vacation.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 17, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
There's also a guy who ran a kickstarter to find making videos that would cover the entire ccna syllabus. I'm posting from my phone so don't have the YouTube links, but search for them - so far they seem really, really good.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
This is the guy - https://www.youtube.com/user/ShrikeCast

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Oh wow, thanks for that. Another YT subscriber worth checking out. I'm subscribed to Doug Suida's and Keith Baker's YT channels, both are valuable resources. For added gold, I do have some CBT Nugget videos to check out, one of the perks of having a few Cisco employees that I can communicate with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

US military/DoD people: How does the Sec+ CE poo poo work? Do we just take a bunch of those online courses about not plugging thumb drives into computers and not answering phishing emails, pay the $80, and then call it a day?

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I take the Network+ on Thursday (not my ideal choice of networking cert, but required as part of the apprenticeship I'm on). Any gotchas I need to look out for?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

psydude posted:

US military/DoD people: How does the Sec+ CE poo poo work? Do we just take a bunch of those online courses about not plugging thumb drives into computers and not answering phishing emails, pay the $80, and then call it a day?

Yep! You can actually get enough credits through CBTs that you pretty much just need to watch a bunch of videos and print out the course completion certificates and then upload them to CompTIA to renew.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Today is Day 1 of the Stanly course, and I live in North Carolina, but I'm cracking up at how much of a southern accent the guy in the videos has. I love that people around the world are taking this course. VMWare: Install, Configger, Manage

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Today is Day 1 of the Stanly course, and I live in North Carolina, but I'm cracking up at how much of a southern accent the guy in the videos has. I love that people around the world are taking this course. VMWare: Install, Configger, Manage

I'm in that course to! Looking forward to getting my lab finished to really study hard and take the test in a few months.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
As an IT manager with 8 years in the field, and only an A+ from 2005, I think I should get a cert or two just to have something current and also for a small academic challenge.

I still do a fair amount of technical stuff (small team, internal IT), but I'm not too interested in cramming a bunch of Cisco/Microsoft info. I'm thinking of seeking either a Security+ or going with ITIL/PMP, I see those 2 fields being relevant to my current career path. How does this sound? Anything I should be considering instead?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you're in a stable position I'd definitely say bang out ITIL in a week or so and then actually study for a PMP.

A lot of our middle IT management that was laid off during outsourcing had a very hard time getting equivalent positions elsewhere as they no longer had any discernible technical ability. Project management is a good way to stay needed.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thank you, thank you! :)

Slagwag
Oct 27, 2010

"I am not a nugget!"

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm in that course to! Looking forward to getting my lab finished to really study hard and take the test in a few months.

I did not hear about this course until March which is when I waitlisted. Hopefully I should get in soon. I hear... not so great things about the course itself but with other resources it is mainly needed just to meet the course requirement for VCP.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can anyone suggest any courses/classes for Cisco VoIP or CUCM? Search is down and I didn't see anything in the OP.

I've used ShoreTel in the past and I've jumped on this as best I can but my employer is willing to pay for a basic 101 sort of course as well as a little more of an advanced course.

They'd like it to be in a classroom setting, on-site wherever it is (basically not online).

Seattle area is desired.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I could get down on a basic call manager book. I came from a shoretel environment as well and this stuff is completely foreign.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Moey posted:

I could get down on a basic call manager book. I came from a shoretel environment as well and this stuff is completely foreign.

ShoreTel and this CUCM thing are basically two different worlds.

Hoping I can get a class instead of a book, though!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a schedule for the stanly course? I'm thinking about signing up, if I could find a course schedule someplace?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Next round of courses begin in August, current that just started is May-July, waitlist is at https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Has a lot changed on the CCENT/CCNA exams from 2012 to 2014? I've been watching CCNA lecture videos that cover all of the to-know topics in the CCNA section of the OP, but I don't want to have holes of knowledge come exam time and don't want to waste money on additinal resources I won't need.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

Charles Martel posted:

Has a lot changed on the CCENT/CCNA exams from 2012 to 2014? I've been watching CCNA lecture videos that cover all of the to-know topics in the CCNA section of the OP, but I don't want to have holes of knowledge come exam time and don't want to waste money on additinal resources I won't need.

They added stuff, moved stuff from the ICND2 to ICND1, and removed stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgTPyxJM0Y

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

ZergFluid posted:

They added stuff, moved stuff from the ICND2 to ICND1, and removed stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgTPyxJM0Y

Thank you for this. I'll check it out later.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've kind of stopped with the CISSP for now because feh, but I'm looking for some easy certs to bang out before I get back to the states. I'm thinking ITIL foundations and CCNA: Wireless or CCDA. Is ITIL Foundations seriously a study for a week and pass kind of test?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Yep! I posted on Page 81 of this thread looking for study materials. After Fiendish Dr. Wu replied, I read the guide he sent me for a few days. Took the test 5 days after my post and passed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yep! I posted on Page 81 of this thread looking for study materials. After Fiendish Dr. Wu replied, I read the guide he sent me for a few days. Took the test 5 days after my post and passed.

drat. I need to get off my rear end and finish that test. I've read through just the first couple pages of that book that was posted. Is it pretty much just memorizing all of their vocab and acronyms?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

drat. I need to get off my rear end and finish that test. I've read through just the first couple pages of that book that was posted. Is it pretty much just memorizing all of their vocab and acronyms?

I took my ITIL v3 Foundation a few years ago and thats basically it. Easiest cert I've ever passed.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with THESE videos for CCENT / CCNA training? I was gifted a Groupon for them recently.

I'm going to start studying for my CCENT with my long term goals of getting at least my CCNP. Are there any sort of guidelines for how long it takes to learn the material and pass the exams? Should I expect to be doing one of these a year or more quickly than that?

I've been working in the NOC at a local telco for a few years, and I'd like to transition over to our engineering group. I've have a solid grasp of IP telephony, but I wouldn't say I know sub-netting / networking.

I'd basically be going into this as someone who was new to it all, but knew enough random bits and pieces to sound like I knew what I was talking about if I was talking to a layman.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm looking at taking the A+ test. Does anyone know of a study site that is as comprehensive as mcmcse but that covers the 801/802?

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm looking at taking the A+ test. Does anyone know of a study site that is as comprehensive as mcmcse but that covers the 801/802?

I also need something like this for when I'm done reading my Mike Myers All-in-One guide for A+.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Does anyone have any experience with THESE videos for CCENT / CCNA training? I was gifted a Groupon for them recently.

I'm going to start studying for my CCENT with my long term goals of getting at least my CCNP. Are there any sort of guidelines for how long it takes to learn the material and pass the exams? Should I expect to be doing one of these a year or more quickly than that?

I've been working in the NOC at a local telco for a few years, and I'd like to transition over to our engineering group. I've have a solid grasp of IP telephony, but I wouldn't say I know sub-netting / networking.

I'd basically be going into this as someone who was new to it all, but knew enough random bits and pieces to sound like I knew what I was talking about if I was talking to a layman.

I studied for the CCENT/CCNA for about 30 hours each, and prior to my current job I had been a professional cook since 18 (I'm 25 now). Passed both the tests with flying colors, actually I think I gave them way too much credit. The CCNA really is an entry level cert so I wouldn't stress it.

I would watch the CBTNuggets videos on the course and follow along by repeating everything Jeremy does in every video with GNS3. I wouldn't mimic his environment exactly - you're looking to use GNS3 as a tool to apply what you just learned and make sure you got all of it.

The simple act of googling around to set up GNS3 and then figuring out how it works and how it relates to your computer, and then googling around to fill in the blanks between what you learned in the videos is way better than any book, in my opinion. Of course, I still bought and read through the Sybex CCNA R&S book (Todd Lammle) and did all of the practice tests before taking the test. The CCENT in particular was very, very easy

Turns out you can not know a lot of stuff and still pass the test. I didn't get a higher sign-on bonus with my current employer because I studied OSPF an extra week and got a 993, and to be honest no employer is going to let you even touch their OSPF/EIGRP configs with a CCNA and no experience anyway. :)

fake edit: If any employer would like to let me touch OSPF with a CCNA and no experience, I'm willing to relocate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EdsTeioh posted:

Professor Messer pretty much owns for the A+. Do this and maybe find some reputable site that sells A+ lab practice exams? http://www.professormesser.com/. His videos are all free. The only thing content-wise you won't really get from him is lab practice. I wouldn't recommend doing anything that seems to look remotely like a brain dump, especially for labs.

Definitely as far as the labs go be able to identify different parts on a motherboard. Also it seems dumb, but try to learn the naming structure of RAM, speeds of different types of transmission media, and connectors. The A+ exam seems to like to make sure you know a bunch of stuff that you'll only know for the exam and then Google if you ever need to know it again. Still, it has gotten my foot in the door a few times on interviews so far.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 25, 2014

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Reiz posted:

I studied for the CCENT/CCNA for about 30 hours each, and prior to my current job I had been a professional cook since 18 (I'm 25 now). Passed both the tests with flying colors, actually I think I gave them way too much credit. The CCNA really is an entry level cert so I wouldn't stress it.

I would watch the CBTNuggets videos on the course and follow along by repeating everything Jeremy does in every video with GNS3. I wouldn't mimic his environment exactly - you're looking to use GNS3 as a tool to apply what you just learned and make sure you got all of it.

The simple act of googling around to set up GNS3 and then figuring out how it works and how it relates to your computer, and then googling around to fill in the blanks between what you learned in the videos is way better than any book, in my opinion. Of course, I still bought and read through the Sybex CCNA R&S book (Todd Lammle) and did all of the practice tests before taking the test. The CCENT in particular was very, very easy

Turns out you can not know a lot of stuff and still pass the test. I didn't get a higher sign-on bonus with my current employer because I studied OSPF an extra week and got a 993, and to be honest no employer is going to let you even touch their OSPF/EIGRP configs with a CCNA and no experience anyway. :)

fake edit: If any employer would like to let me touch OSPF with a CCNA and no experience, I'm willing to relocate.

Thanks for the info. 30 hours each doesn't seem too bad at all. I'm currently on 10 hour shifts, so I've got an "extra" day a week I can devote to solely to studying. It would be nice to knock out the CCENT / CCNA in the next 3-4 months. I just wasn't sure if that was reasonable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jeremy does a really good job of taking difficult-ish concepts for someone new like me to understand. I heard so much complaining about subnetting, etc and after watching his videos it was a piece of cake. My advisor told me I should try to get subnetting to under a couple of minutes to have time for the rest of the test, and depending on exactly what I'm doing with subnetting it is well under that. I think I'll be taking my CCENT in a few weeks, and I attribute most of my knowledge of the concepts they test on to his videos.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for the info. Off to studying I suppose.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Thanks for the info. 30 hours each doesn't seem too bad at all. I'm currently on 10 hour shifts, so I've got an "extra" day a week I can devote to solely to studying. It would be nice to knock out the CCENT / CCNA in the next 3-4 months. I just wasn't sure if that was reasonable.

Haha, 30 hours each? That's absurd.

There have been people who posted in this thread to say they found it time consuming/challenging (but definitely doable), FYI.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Absurdly short or long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You might be able to pass the test after 30 hours if you knew exactly which topics to study, but I really would not have confidence in actually knowing the material enough to interview for it.