Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Here's the last info I got about Ironman speeds FWIW:

Darkrenown posted:

Well I just had a chat with Groogy and Alex about save speeds and Ironman:

Their testing only showed saves times going from 1-2 seconds pre-RoI to 2-3 seconds after RoI, so while it is higher than before they were surprised people noticed it enough to complain. Does using local saves rather than cloud saves help?

They will consider having 3/6 month auto saves for Ironman.

In general they want to work on speeding up the saving process by doing fancy code things and/or changing the way data is saved, which would especially help Ironman.

Optimising the game since RoI is the main focus at the moment, the latest 2 betas actually cut memory usage by something like 40% but has also slowed things down a lot so it still needs work before the patch can go live, and save speed is still being worked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darkrenown posted:

Here's the last info I got about Ironman speeds FWIW:

Optimising the game since RoI is the main focus at the moment, the latest 2 betas actually cut memory usage by something like 40% but has also slowed things down a lot so it still needs work before the patch can go live, and save speed is still being worked on.

What is the purpose in NOT allowing, say, annual saves as an option for ironman? I do it on regular and it doesn't seem to cause any problems to only save once a year.

The only thing I can think of is that players could "cheat" if things weren't going well and close the process to roll back to the beginning of the year. But that would be a silly reason, so it can't be that, right? Nobody actually cares if someone else slightly cheeses their steam achievements, right? Because if someone did want to cheese the achievements, they could just use steam achievement manager to give them all the cheevos they want.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It kinda is :ohdear: The point of linking cheevos to ironman was to avoid cheesing them. I don't like it either and I have been trying to get it changed.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

It's kinda dumb that I can't imprison someone aiding in the plot to kill my son, only the person leading the plot. If Duke rear end in a top hat backs every single plot to see my kids dead, I should be able to make him never see the sun again.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Gotta protect those hallowed cheevos. If you any scrub could get them, people on the Paradox forums might lose faith in humanity (again).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

No, his problem was not being able to change the leader of a sieging army without issuing a move order then canceling it.

No, my problem was in fact that ironman is unplayable.

Just make it loving yearly autosaves. Because if the strategy is "hopefully we can optimize it eventually", then ironman is never going to be playable.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 22, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Just make it loving yearly autosaves. Because if the strategy is "hopefully we can optimize it eventually", then ironman is never going to be playable.

Its not unplayable its slightly irritating get over your self already.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

Its not unplayable its slightly irritating get over your self already.

Have you actually tried playing it for more than an hour? And I've got a fairly beefy computer, too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

Jesus, check what we are taking about before you go off calling me a smug gently caress. My post was because you kept bringing up the "finite dev time" answer I gave you about changing siege leaders. Hence "Funnier every time" and "let's run this poo poo into the ground". How on earth did you imagine "a tiny peeve you were outraged over, sorry you were inconvenienced in an inconsequential way" was talking about Ironman saves, a thing I have repeatedly agreed is a problem and we are working on fixing :psyboom:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Have you actually tried playing it for more than an hour? And I've got a fairly beefy computer, too.

Yes a 30 seconds over a year is no where near unplayable, though I guess if your generally an impatient rear end in a top hat and your computer speed through a month at stupid speeds then you may have a point but really get a thicker skin.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

Yes a 30 seconds over a year is no where near unplayable, though I guess if your generally an impatient rear end in a top hat and your computer speed through a month at stupid speeds then you may have a point but really get a thicker skin.

I rarely play at higher than 3x speed, and each save takes ~5 seconds, which is in fact a full minute over the course of a year.

EDIT: And Darkrenown literally just said it was an issue they're working on.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 22, 2014

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DStecks posted:

I've got a pretty lovely computer and the ironman saves take around 3-5 seconds, which is only slightly annoying to me. It's probably much more annoying for people with faster computers since their ratio of playing time:saving times are much lower than for people with slow computers. I only use ironman mode now, and even with monthly autosaves it's still faster than Vicky2 :v:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rumda posted:

I don't want to align myself with any unstable reactionaries or anything, but I have to say, it actually is pretty unplayable at speed 5 even on a beefy computer. Having been brought up on "real time with pause" RPGs, I'm one of those, "play at the highest speed and then pause every time I want to interact with the game" guys. I've been playing this way ever since SoI came out but now, at speed 5, it's autosaving every few seconds and this causes the entire UI to become highly unresponsive each time the save fires and in general, this makes the game very slow and very difficult to interact with.

On a more general note, even though I've had a pretty awful experience with the last beta version, I couldn't be more happy that you PDS fellows are putting out frequent betas and I hope that this trend continues. Speaking for myself, I'd rather have occasionally broken quick fixes than having game-breaking issues persist for many weeks on end. Kudos.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Gonna chime in here and say the length of the Ironman save thing is pretty annoying regardless of how powerful your computer is. My solution to Ironman games taking forever to save every dang month was to just start playing non-Ironman as if I was playing Ironman proper and not savescum, who gives a poo poo about steam achievements honestly

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Thank you for this, it will make running RoI much easier on my 4GB Surface: :unsmith:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

DrPop posted:

Gonna chime in here and say the length of the Ironman save thing is pretty annoying regardless of how powerful your computer is. My solution to Ironman games taking forever to save every dang month was to just start playing non-Ironman as if I was playing Ironman proper and not savescum, who gives a poo poo about steam achievements honestly

Mark me as another person who has stopped playing Ironman entirely. It's fine for about the first twenty in game years, then slowdowns start to occur. Raising levys only seems to make performance more sluggish lately - but this applies to non Ironman games too. v:shobon:v

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DrPop posted:

who gives a poo poo about steam achievements honestly

I find it an interesting challenge for certain things that I wouldn't otherwise consider going for, and if I'm making the effort to play a non-standard game (like for 3 empresses, etc.), I sorta want the "ding!"

Ray and Shirley posted:

Mark me as another person who has stopped playing Ironman entirely. It's fine for about the first twenty in game years, then slowdowns start to occur. Raising levys only seems to make performance more sluggish lately - but this applies to non Ironman games too. v:shobon:v

Same.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

gently caress it, this is loving stupid, I'm getting worked up over stupid bullshit

If somebody could report this post, I'd really appreciate it. I could use a weeklong probation.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I'm trying to customise my house, and the option is greyed out because 'you have to be top liege of all its members'. I assume this is different to being head of the house, which I am: does this mean all members of my dynasty need to be my vassals?

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 22, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?776096-Let-s-Break-CK2-for-World-Conquest

Simply amazing. :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

That's a thing :stare: I'm curious as to how long it takes for the player to actually conquer the world, there has to be more coming.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Obliterati posted:

I'm trying to customise my house, and the option is greyed out because 'you have to be top liege of all its members'. I assume this is different to being head of the house, which I am: does this mean all members of my dynasty need to be my vassals?

I think it means that you need to have the highest-rank title among members of your dynasty.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I think it means that you need to have the highest-rank title among members of your dynasty.

No, I've been head of the dynasty before and had the button greyed out. I believe it means that all of the landed members of your dynasty need to be your vassals, and that you yourself must be independent. You can never modify a dynasty if you're somebody's vassal.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I'm currently King of Hungary and have enough land to create 4 kingdoms and 2 empires, however since it is gavelkind I decided to only have just the Kingdom of Hungary and some duchies pass to my kids. My crown authority has just went up to Med so vassals can't fight each other.

Is this a really bad strategy or any downsides because right now there is none (save for maybe some tax dollars). I had to convert to Catholicism in order to raise the Crown Authority so I have a few Tengri dissidents in my capital but otherwise everyone seems to love me.

Playing Ironman.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

monster on a stick posted:

That's a thing :stare: I'm curious as to how long it takes for the player to actually conquer the world, there has to be more coming.

He did mention when he switched to his main Karling character that this would take him "through the rest of the game." So not too long, then.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Re: ironman saves, I started an ironman game lately and while it's fairly annoying to have it "freeze" far more often than in normal (where I use 1-year autosaves), it's not really a game breaker.

But having an SSD might have made me spoiled, the difference in speed with regular drives is astonishing ; non-ironman saves in 1-2 seconds, ironman in 2-3 , like it was said before. I can see how someone on a laptop with a 5400rpm hard drive would be driven pretty crazy by 10 second saves every five minutes ...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 22, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Toadsniff posted:

I'm currently King of Hungary and have enough land to create 4 kingdoms and 2 empires, however since it is gavelkind I decided to only have just the Kingdom of Hungary and some duchies pass to my kids. My crown authority has just went up to Med so vassals can't fight each other.

Is this a really bad strategy or any downsides because right now there is none (save for maybe some tax dollars). I had to convert to Catholicism in order to raise the Crown Authority so I have a few Tengri dissidents in my capital but otherwise everyone seems to love me.

Playing Ironman.

Not really. If you have ONE top-level title you can keep that through Gavelkind but if you are a king with two kingdom titles you'll split your realm. However, if you created an empire title you can keep the whole thing and just lose some kingdom titles and maybe some demense but you lose demense every time anyway.

In Gavelkind if you want to hold the realm together you just need to keep one title in existence of whatever is the top level.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

monster on a stick posted:

Not really. With the Tribal Invasion CB, he can take any kingdom not owned by pagans in 1 war, and IIRC can take over an entire realm no matte the size if he goes to the trouble to siege the top level holding in each county. The only things that are going to slow him down, I think, are pagans, since I don't think he can subjugate more than once character lifetime.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ulmont posted:

Not really. With the Tribal Invasion CB, he can take any kingdom not owned by pagans in 1 war, and IIRC can take over an entire realm no matte the size if he goes to the trouble to siege the top level holding in each county. The only things that are going to slow him down, I think, are pagans, since I don't think he can subjugate more than once character lifetime.

Do you get more than one subjugation per lifetime if you switch to another pagan faith? That might be what he's planning to do.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I have a game where I started in old gods that I physically can't play at like 1050 ad because the slow down is so bad. I've pretty much stopped playing CK2 since with one expansion they hosed it up completely.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Looks like he's hitting the bandwidth cap at Photobucket. :smith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Looks like he's hitting the bandwidth cap at Photobucket. :smith:

You can still see the images if you just right-click and open them in a new tab, they just won't embed.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone still uses photobucket. Imgur is a better image hosting platform in basically every way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Janissary Hop posted:

I have a game where I started in old gods that I physically can't play at like 1050 ad because the slow down is so bad. I've pretty much stopped playing CK2 since with one expansion they hosed it up completely.

Im almost at 1300 on a game Ive started at 862 and the game just seems a little slower, but perfectly playable (on my lovely laptop).

Is that something that happened after the lastest beta patch?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 22, 2014

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
I bet he's going to reform the Pagan faith he has now, and just deal with the other pagans through holy wars with assassinations to reset the truce timers (he's rolling in gold and mentioned having a good intrigue score and great spymaster was a priority for later on). He could also just break the truces, since he's doing North Korea mode (no vassals to piss off), he's got that easy prestige trick ,and after a certain point all the other pagans hating him won't matter.

Talky fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2014

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Just had a weird thing happen in my game. I was playing as the Emperor of Alba and my second son became heir when he was born. My first born has the same mother and father and succession is set to Primogeniture, so I'm not really sure what happened. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Just had a weird thing happen in my game. I was playing as the Emperor of Alba and my second son became heir when he was born. My first born has the same mother and father and succession is set to Primogeniture, so I'm not really sure what happened. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Did the oldest son join the Knights Templar? Traits that make a character sterile also utterly disinherit them.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Do you have a dynastic merchant house? That almost hosed me over in my Wessex Britannia game, I gave the son of the current patrician the kingdom of Greece after a crusade, and of course his brother became his heir which revoked his designated heir status so it reverted back to seniority and the eldest unlanded male dynast was my son, but then he had a genius grandson so all I had to suck up was some regency years.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

What is the purpose in NOT allowing, say, annual saves as an option for ironman? I do it on regular and it doesn't seem to cause any problems to only save once a year.

The only thing I can think of is that players could "cheat" if things weren't going well and close the process to roll back to the beginning of the year. But that would be a silly reason, so it can't be that, right? Nobody actually cares if someone else slightly cheeses their steam achievements, right? Because if someone did want to cheese the achievements, they could just use steam achievement manager to give them all the cheevos they want.

This is the point of Ironman - to prevent players from savescumming or modifying things. Even before achievements, that was how Ironman worked.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I just wanted to ask if the CK2 to EUIV converter is any good, I am considering starting a game in CK2 and play on into EUIV and get fully attached to my characters, but if the converter is crap and causes problems then I'd rather not bother at all.

What's the advice here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Azmodaii posted:

I just wanted to ask if the CK2 to EUIV converter is any good, I am considering starting a game in CK2 and play on into EUIV and get fully attached to my characters, but if the converter is crap and causes problems then I'd rather not bother at all.

What's the advice here?

Overall it is pretty solid, but it does have some problems. If Ironman and achievements are important to you, you can't use them in your EU4 game as the converter creates a mod that disables Ironman. Jainism doesn't really convert right. Some weird things can happen if you've got a CK2 game where you own a ton of land, including a ton of universities and then convert it. I think I once had a game where all my tech was 50% off because of stacked university bonuses from Italian possessions.

Overall I like it, but you're gonna encounter some odd stuff that normally wouldn't be possible in EU4 because of it. That universities thing can really bite you in the rear end if a large neighbor you're friendly with has a ton of universities, you convert, and then they're suddenly not very friendly to you. The tech gain can be massive.

• Locked thread