Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol the kneejerk reactions to this are amazing, you don't even know what the gently caress the NFC is going to be used for. what's even more amazing is that if the figurine rumor is true, it would sell big time for Nintendo, which I thought would be a good thing considering how often people love to bitch about how bad the company is at business? Nothing sells more than tons of plastic collectible things, as Skylanders/Infinity showed us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol the kneejerk reactions to this are amazing, you don't even know what the gently caress the NFC is going to be used for. what's even more amazing is that if the figurine rumor is true, it would sell big time for Nintendo, which I thought would be a good thing considering how often people love to bitch about how bad the company is at business? Nothing sells more than tons of plastic collectible things, as Skylanders/Infinity showed us

I'd hardly call it a kneejerk reaction when the only current use for NFC in gaming is the way it's done with Skylanders/Infinity. They probably won't go that route because the figures are supposed to tie into a lot of Nintendo games in the future, not just Smash. It's still up in the air until E3 though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

THE loving MOON posted:

I'd hardly call it a kneejerk reaction when the only current use for NFC in gaming is the way it's done with Skylanders/Infinity. They probably won't go that route because the figures are supposed to tie into a lot of Nintendo games in the future, not just Smash. It's still up in the air until E3 though.
Was even the slightest possibility of Mario Kart 8 using figurines this way up in the air? Because I'm pretty sure the numerous reviews that went up before your previous post on this topic would have mentioned a detail like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Was even the slightest possibility of Mario Kart 8 using figurines this way up in the air? Because I'm pretty sure the numerous reviews that went up before your previous post on this topic would have mentioned a detail like that.
They could just patch the functionality in later.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

All of your games are about to get patch-locked until you purchase the corresponding figurine.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If it took a silly little figurine to get Koopa reskinned as Dry Bones, I'd drown myself in figurines.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

All of your games are about to get patch-locked until you purchase the corresponding figurine.
Nintendo will kidnap your family and hold them hostage until you buy the 'family' figurine.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

JordanKai posted:

The new Kid Icarus game is going to be Free to Pray.

:golfclap:

But seriously, so much kneejerk. I really doubt Nintendo would lock playable characters behind figurines, at least at first.

And for all we know the CEO is wrong, he could very well have been thinking of another game, gotten incorrect info, or even just flubbed his words. It's happened before.

At least, I hope he's wrong :negative:

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 22, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It'll probably just be a way to get trophies and such.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Considering the initial release statement mentioned unlocking and transferring characters across multiple games, I don't see how the conclusion of this being a worse version of DLC isn't really valid until they show us otherwise.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

DoctorWhat posted:

It'll probably just be a way to get trophies and such.
poo poo, I wouldn't mind if hypothetical future DLC characters were gated behind figures. It's the idea that the game will be seriously incomplete without them that seems like a huge leap. Nintendo has never done anything like that; eReader games were still complete without the eReader levels, and none of the DLC from Pikmin 3 or Fire Emblem Awakening has been parts of the core game cut out and monetized. As much as they've done wrong, DLC is one thing Nintendo has done very well.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Chaltab posted:

poo poo, I wouldn't mind if hypothetical future DLC characters were gated behind figures. It's the idea that the game will be seriously incomplete without them that seems like a huge leap. Nintendo has never done anything like that; eReader games were still complete without the eReader levels, and none of the DLC from Pikmin 3 or Fire Emblem Awakening has been parts of the core game cut out and monetized. As much as they've done wrong, DLC is one thing Nintendo has done very well.

Hell, I already own several Zelda figures. I don't really have a problem with paying some money for DLC (which I'd do anyway) and also getting a physical product out of it. Especially if they end up fairly well done and neat figures.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Well Nintendo have kind of released DLC characters before: the event pokemon.

What I'm saying is that if you want to play as Ridley you're going to have to buy a figurine from the Pokemon Centre in Paris during the 2 weeks it'll be on sale forever. Waluigi will be Japan-exclusive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aston posted:

Well Nintendo have kind of released DLC characters before: the event pokemon.
Also the DLC units in FE13.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Endorph posted:

Also the DLC units in FE13.

I really wish those were full characters, though. Why didn't Emmeryn have support conversations with her siblings, or Say'ri with her alternate universe brother?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

I really wish those were full characters, though. Why didn't Emmeryn have support conversations with her siblings, or Say'ri with her alternate universe brother?
Those weren't DLC characters, those were spotpass characters.

Granted, the DLC characters were even less of full units.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Nintendo has been slowly doing more and more DLC, but so far has been pretty good about it. You get a decent amount for what you pay for. If they do start using these models, let's hope they follow the same path.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Wild Knight posted:

Think about it, kid custom-tailors Link's moveset at his home, downloads it to his super-cool Link figurine, brings Link figurine over to friend's house, they bash their Link and Sonic figurines against each other for a bit before sitting down and plopping their figurines on the gamepad* and bam, now they can use their custom movesets against each other.

I think another, minor use here could be that you temporarily unlock the character you scan. Come over to a friends house and they haven't unlocked Captain Falcon yet? Scan your figure, with your custom moveset, and he's playable temporarily. To unlock him long-term, like for single-player, you have to do it normally, of course, but that mitigates some of the early "Come over to my place to play! ... What, no, I didn't spend 20 man-hours on the game yet... why?" stuff.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Endorph posted:

Those weren't DLC characters, those were spotpass characters.

Granted, the DLC characters were even less of full units.

Oh, there were characters you had to pay for then? I didn't even know about them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Oh, there were characters you had to pay for then? I didn't even know about them.
There were an entire set of DLC maps, yeah? A few even had little story beats, like conversations between characters or a story about the future the kids came from. Some of those DLC maps gave you units. How'd you miss those?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Endorph posted:

There were an entire set of DLC maps, yeah? A few even had little story beats, like conversations between characters or a story about the future the kids came from. Some of those DLC maps gave you units. How'd you miss those?

If he never did them, then I don't think he woulda known about them. No big loss on them, they're just older franchise characters who all (barring one) have models that barely resemble who they're representing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

If he never did them, then I don't think he woulda known about them. No big loss on them, they're just older franchise characters who all (barring one) have models that barely resemble who they're representing.
And have no supports, which means they're kinda useless as units. They aren't exactly the real draw to the DLC maps.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The DLC for Fire Emblem was much better than I could have hoped for, there were even a couple that were literally there for no other reason than to let you cheat. :devil:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Endorph posted:

I knew about the maps, but I thought we were talking new characters. Just some bonus units wouldn't be anything different than the classic guys you get from the Streetpass challenges.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

New character confirmed for fish food.

EDIT: vvv I don't know what you're talking about.

The T fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 23, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Haha, sucker, broken imageleech!

IKE CONFIRMED

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shocking swerve!

Guessing Robin or nobody for Awakening rep, no way they'd put three blue-haired sword dudes in.

e: That's a pretty rad Ike, I am content.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I'm really glad Ike is back and now can rest easy that a majority of the cast will be back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That is incredibly surprising, but fortunately I like surprises.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

holy poo poo he looks great in HD :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They just have an extra FE rep spot lying around and they give it to Ike over Lyndis? What a bummer. :(

I am glad Ike is back, though. He's a really fun character.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I have to admit, that surprises me quite a bit. I was sure Chrom was gonna take his place.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Countblanc posted:

That is incredibly surprising, but fortunately I like surprises.

You like Ike? Good. We like Ike.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I would not have predicted Ike come back. My reaction right now was just a quiet "whaaaat" out loud.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Can't say I expected him to come back, but anything that ups the odds of the Avatar (or anyone that doesn't exclusively use swords, really) getting in is OK in my book.

I wonder if they'll have his ranger design as an alternate costume.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone likes Ike.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I fight for my friends.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I have to admit, that surprises me quite a bit. I was sure Chrom was gonna take his place.

I really feel like they're still gonna put in a FE:A rep. Ike just made it back in because he's a vet, I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

VJeff posted:

I really feel like they're still gonna put in a FE:A rep. Ike just made it back in because he's a vet, I would think.

Tell that to Roy.

• Locked thread