Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Hoopy Frood posted:

I think old cereal boxes in his films is one of his trademarks. Fruit Brute cereal boxes appear in both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Speaking of Tarantino names, I assumed at first that the 'Red Apple' cigarettes mentioned in Pulp Fiction were Lucky Strikes...The round red logo on the Lucky Strike packs could conceivably represent an apple, and the green logo on the menthol packs could therefore be nicknamed Green Apples. I thought I was pretty clever for getting this reference until The Bride walks past a Red Apples advertising billboard in Pulp Fiction and it's shown to be a completely different brand.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away! :v:

On the subject of movie cigarettes, I always liked Clerks' "Nails", which Dante is handing out to pretty much everyone who comes in; Randall even unintentionally sells a pack to a minor, for which Dante gets the blame. In the original ending, Dante is shot dead by an unknown assailant while locking up. A customer then comes in, sees nobody at the register, and steals a pack of cigarettes. The last nail in the coffin.

The whole movie is centered around death, too. They even drop hints about the ending when Dante talks about The Empire Strikes Back. "It ends on such a down note. That's what life is, a series of down notes."

(Oh god what just happened I only hit reply to post the apple quip)

e: I now feel compelled to rewatch it to see if the cigarette sales coincide with Dantes day getting shittier. I feel like they do, but I can't recall all of the scenes well enough.

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 11:50 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nastyman posted:

e: I now feel compelled to rewatch it to see if the cigarette sales coincide with Dantes day getting shittier. I feel like they do, but I can't recall all of the scenes well enough.

Probably not, because one of the first scenes is the gum salesman convincing a series of customers that cigarettes are evil and a bunch of people come in to buy cigarettes in a row

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Alouicious posted:

Probably not, because one of the first scenes is the gum salesman convincing a series of customers that cigarettes are evil and a bunch of people come in to buy cigarettes in a row

He only gets a single sale on screen in the end of that scene. He does get showered in them though, which I figured was to catch up with all the poo poo he gets to deal with between being waking up and actually opening the store, and to establish the fact that the customers are killing him, both literally and figuratively. Or maybe it fits because I want it to V:shobon:V

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 12:19 on May 17, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I just rewatched Primer and caught a little hint about the ending early on - when Abe is first walking Aaron through figuring out the box is a time machine, Aaron is really quick to figure out in his head how many cycles each watch went through - and even a couple times tells Abe what he should be doing or saying next.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Rapunzel and Eugene from Tangled appear during the "First Time in Forever" song sequence in Frozen, where Anna leaves the castle and moves past the guests. It's a quick cameo (and not very subtle considering how the vast majority of fans picked up on it straight away), but it's a nice tie between Disney's two CGI princesses.

Also in Frozen, Anna leaps up and mimics the pose of the woman in The Swing painting. In The Art of Tangled, one of Rapunzel's concept designs shows her in the same pose. It's drawn by Lisa Keene.

Rapunzel's mobile foreshadows events during the film - a chameleon for Pascal, a horse for Maximus, a duckling for The Snuggly Duckling and a cupid for the old thug who floats up on balloons at the end. The blue bird is a little more obscure, but during the When Will My Life Begin reprisal where Rapunzel has finally left the tower, a blue bird flies past.

Finally, Tangled references several other Disney movies. In the tower, it's possible to see icons representing the other princesses on the banisters. The easiest to see is Snow White's apple on the bottom one. There's also a rose for Belle and I think a frog for Tiana? During the sequence where Eugene and Rapunzel are in Corona, there's a part where they're in a library. Several of the books have references to other Disney films. It's possible to see Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and the logo for The Lion King's musical.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A new one I just learned. During Don Coscarelli's John Dies at the End, a character walks through another character's trailer home and passes an entertainment center loaded with DVDs. A DVD box's spine, only on screen for a few frames, reads Phantasm V: Ravager. It turned out that Coscarelli had greenlighted it, handed it off to another director and it was being secretly filmed concurrently.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I recently watched House of the Devil. At the beginning when the two girls are at the pizza place, her friend says that the pizza tastes funny today. Later when the babysitter orders pizza from the number they left she tastes the pizza, makes a weird face and throws the pizza away. It's not something that most people would miss, but I like how the film doesn't point it out to the audience.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hoopy Frood posted:

Speaking of Tarantino names, I assumed at first that the 'Red Apple' cigarettes mentioned in Pulp Fiction were Lucky Strikes...The round red logo on the Lucky Strike packs could conceivably represent an apple, and the green logo on the menthol packs could therefore be nicknamed Green Apples. I thought I was pretty clever for getting this reference until The Bride walks past a Red Apples advertising billboard in Pulp Fiction and it's shown to be a completely different brand.

Aren't Red Apples just an asian brand? I lived with a Korean for a while and I'm pretty sure he and his friends would smoke those. I might just be misremembering.

People poo poo on Tarantino a lot, and I didn't really like Inglourious Basterds (though seeing it at a drive-in was a terrible idea, between my eyesight and the subtitles), but he puts a lot of detail into his movies.

I can't imagine not watching the Kill Bill movies back-to-back, though, I can't see part II working without Part I fresh in your mind.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Tarantino's Red Apple cigarettes are completely fictional, along the lines of Morleys or Heisler Beer.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Just watched Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2. Early in the film when Flint is submitting lots of inventions for the competition one of his inventions you see in the montage is a freeze ray.

he loses the competition, but later in the film when the Not-Steve Jobs villain send out his army of mech suits, their main weapon is Flints freeze ray. Bastard stole his idea.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not a movie but something I noticed in Supernatural from season 4 on.
The demon-killing knife that the brothers get from Ruby is a pretty standard looking knife with a serrated back and a handle made from either bone or an antler. Nothing too special. However, the angel knives that come into play later on are these slick silver stilettos that can kill humans, demons and even angels. They are standard equipment for every angel that you see and reveals early on their sadistic nature or, at least, that they may be just as "evil" as the demons.

The knives they carry are not flat blades but rather elongated pyramids with edges sharp enough to easily cut flesh with the slightest graze. However, because of it being a stabbing weapon, they leave a triangular wound that would be next to impossible to suture and guarantees to bleed out. These types of knives were banned after World War One (I think) because they were viewed as inhumane.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Close. The dagger has a serrated blade, not back. The other blades you mention were banned by the Geneva Convention in times of war though, because they cause wounds that were too hard to close on the battlefield.

Still legal to own, just don't carry one into battle and you are ok.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just gonna sperg out about how awesome The Lego Movie is for a minute.

-Emmet has a poster for the movie Teen Cops in his apartment, and The Lego Movie is written and directed by the directors of 21 Jump Street

-During the beginning of the movie when the construction workers are calling out parts or whenever the Master Builders are building things all the names and part numbers are the actual real-life names and part numbers of those bricks.

-One of the characters, Princess Unikitty, has a non-articulating body made out of Legos so whenever she sits down her entire model changes.

-The titles for the different areas (The Old West, Middle Zealand, etc.) are actual objects that you can see hanging around in the background of different shots and even get broken apart at one point when a spaceship flies through them.

-Vitruvius being blind only gets mentioned once but there's tons of little background gags based around it, like Vitruvius hugging a pig instead of Emmet during the stagecoach chase.

-The twist that the events of the movie parallel a boy playing with his Legos gets foreshadowed in a lot of little ways: The time between the opening scene and the rest of the movie is 8 1/2 years and the boy looks roughly 8 1/2 years old, Lord Business' ridiculous height makes sense when you realize that he's the kid's dad and as such he sees him towering over him, Wildstyle and Emmet hold hands instead of kissing because of course that's how a little kid views relationships, and Lord Business' rants about "special snowflakes" and everybody getting a trophy and how Emmet isn't special are pure angry_white_dad.txt and make the kid's relationship with his dad even more depressing since it's obviously something he's overheard his dad saying about him.

-The movie's soundtrack is inspired by circuit-bending so not only is the movie made out of toys but the soundtrack itself is as well.

Legowns.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Just gonna sperg out about how awesome The Lego Movie is for a minute.

-Emmet has a poster for the movie Teen Cops in his apartment, and The Lego Movie is written and directed by the directors of 21 Jump Street

-During the beginning of the movie when the construction workers are calling out parts or whenever the Master Builders are building things all the names and part numbers are the actual real-life names and part numbers of those bricks.

-One of the characters, Princess Unikitty, has a non-articulating body made out of Legos so whenever she sits down her entire model changes.

-The titles for the different areas (The Old West, Middle Zealand, etc.) are actual objects that you can see hanging around in the background of different shots and even get broken apart at one point when a spaceship flies through them.

-Vitruvius being blind only gets mentioned once but there's tons of little background gags based around it, like Vitruvius hugging a pig instead of Emmet during the stagecoach chase.

-The twist that the events of the movie parallel a boy playing with his Legos gets foreshadowed in a lot of little ways: The time between the opening scene and the rest of the movie is 8 1/2 years and the boy looks roughly 8 1/2 years old, Lord Business' ridiculous height makes sense when you realize that he's the kid's dad and as such he sees him towering over him, Wildstyle and Emmet hold hands instead of kissing because of course that's how a little kid views relationships, and Lord Business' rants about "special snowflakes" and everybody getting a trophy and how Emmet isn't special are pure angry_white_dad.txt and make the kid's relationship with his dad even more depressing since it's obviously something he's overheard his dad saying about him.

-The movie's soundtrack is inspired by circuit-bending so not only is the movie made out of toys but the soundtrack itself is as well.

Legowns.

It is a great movie but I don't think you actually understand what the word "subtle" means.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Close. The dagger has a serrated blade, not back. The other blades you mention were banned by the Geneva Convention in times of war though, because they cause wounds that were too hard to close on the battlefield.

Ahh, you are totally right.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Just noticed something pretty funny about X-men: First class.

During the training montage, Erik ask Xavier to shoot him with a handgun from point blank range so that he can stop the bullet. Magneto is absolutely convinced he can do it, while Prof. X is not so sure so he convinces him to try something else.

Later on in the third act when they''ve crashed on that island and Magneto does his heel turn. What's her face Rose Byrne's character shoots at him from about a 2 meters away and when his life is depending on it he can't stop the bullets only deflect them haphazardly.

I think it's a nice summary of the character, a guy who's so absolutely sure of his own abilities and that his way is right, that he's completely blind to his own faults.

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 19:51 on May 27, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eva Green isn't in that movie.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Eva Green isn't in that movie.

Whoops, confused Rose Byrne with Eva Green. Edited in the correct actress.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Watching the 3rd season Bob's burgers episode at the concert, I noticed that one of Louise's attempts at getting backstage was "I'm detective Brenda Lee Johnson and there's been a murder backstage" as she tried to breeze past the bouncer. It helped build a little bit of backstory to the show -- obviously, Louise, who is a strong-willed girl who will steamroll anyone who gets in her way, or at least, try to, is going to try to imitate role models she identifies with, and she probably gets a good amount of exposure to the show, as her mother is the type of person who gets excited about things like that.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Triangular blades aren't banned by the Geneva Convention, and they're not impossible to heal. I think that story has sort of been perpetuated from a line about it in Slaughterhouse 5 or something.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's weird that they picked the one unrealistic thing from Slaughterhouse 5 to cling to. :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe I just completely missed this despite being a huge 2001: A Space Odyssey fan, but the talking homicidal computer's name, HAL, is constructed of the three letters that precede IBM in the alphabet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Professor Shark posted:

Maybe I just completely missed this despite being a huge 2001: A Space Odyssey fan, but the talking homicidal computer's name, HAL, is constructed of the three letters that precede IBM in the alphabet.

People have been bringing up the idea that Hal's name was chosen because it was one step ahead of IBM since 1968, but Arthur C Clarke scotched it. It was entirely coincidental.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Jedit posted:

People have been bringing up the idea that Hal's name was chosen because it was one step ahead of IBM since 1968, but Arthur C Clarke scotched it. It was entirely coincidental.

The film has a lot of symbolism with the subtle use of IBM-branded computers in the movie that while Arthur C Clarke may not have noticed that it worked out that way, Stanley Kubrick certainly did and decided to take advantage of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jedit posted:

Didn't the book have a line or two specifically about that coincidence? I recall reading it somewhere.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Triangular blades aren't banned by the Geneva Convention, and they're not impossible to heal. I think that story has sort of been perpetuated from a line about it in Slaughterhouse 5 or something.

I dunno, I thought they fell under the "unnecessary suffering or superfluous injury" protocol. Sort of like exploding bullets or plastic shrapnel, or the old saw back bayonets on the german rifles in WW1.

Then again, I've heard that Germany or Russia had petitioned to add shotguns to the banned weapon list because they were getting massacred in the trenches with em.

Either way, I don't plan to be in a war with it anytime soon, so it's all good :)

Edit -

Yep, shotgun was bitched about.

quote:

The shotguns elicited a diplomatic protest from the German government, claiming the shotguns caused excessive injury, and that any troops found in possession of them would be subject to execution. The US Government rejected the claims, and threatened reprisals in kind if any US troops were executed for possession of a shotgun.

During the trench warfare of the Gallipoli Campaign, Major Stephen Midgley of the Australian 5th Light Horse Regiment was widely known to use a sawn-off double barrelled shotgun while leading his troops, resulting in Turkish officers complaining that it was not a 'weapon of war' under international law after Midgley took one Turkish soldier's head "clean off his shoulders". Midgley was ordered by an Australian general to cease using his shotgun and switch to a conventional rifle and bayonet, to which the Major was "bitterly peeved".[4]

The shotgun was also well suited for house-to-house fighting. An example of this effectiveness is an event from September 27, 1918. Sergeant Fred Lloyd, armed with a Winchester Model 1897 trench gun, single-handedly retook a German-held French village, routing 30 German soldiers.[5]

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 14:20 on May 28, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something I didn't notice in Juno when I first saw it, her friend (who is established as having a thing for much older men) has a collage on her wall with pictures of guys, including her math teacher (on what looks like a model's body), Bill Clinton, and Woody Allen.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

The book was published after the movie came out, and Kubrick did a lot of writing for the screenplay. It is entirely possible that Clarke isn't quite the definitive authority on this topic.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Skeleton King posted:

The film has a lot of symbolism with the subtle use of IBM-branded computers in the movie that while Arthur C Clarke may not have noticed that it worked out that way, Stanley Kubrick certainly did and decided to take advantage of it.

Subtle being quite an understatement specially since some of the details weren't even possible to notice until the HD version was released.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not a viking posted:

Subtle being quite an understatement specially since some of the details weren't even possible to notice until the HD version was released.

That's Kubrick for you.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Now I don't know what to think.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Now I don't know what to think.

Wouldn't that screen say "MBI"?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Kubrick simultaneously helped fake the moon landing while filming the real one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KoRMaK posted:

Kubrick simultaneously helped fake the moon landing while filming the real one.

He was unhappy with the real one so he filmed a better version

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But he couldn't even get Armstrong to say "a man".

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

qntm posted:

Wouldn't that screen say "MBI"?

That should be a degree given by the Gordon Gecko school of business: Master of Business Intimidation.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I dunno, I could easily imagine it going the other way.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

umalt posted:

I dunno, I could easily imagine it going the other way.

It's Kubrick, he would have sent a crew to the moon, made sure they suffered and almost died a dozen times, filmed it all, then left it on the cutting room floor because he could.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It's Kubrick, he would have sent a crew to the moon, made sure they suffered and almost died a dozen times, filmed it all, then left it on the cutting room floor because he could.
He didn't think it looked "authentic" enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If Kubrick faked the moon landing Neil wouldn't have hosed up his lines.