Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Seeing some interesting stuff that the Lib Dems are holding seats in their parliamentary constituencies that you wouldn't expect, including in Redcar and Birmingham Yardley. Meanwhile, in seats that they missed out on, like Rochdale, they've slumped ever since 2010.

e: looks like Lib Dems are even gaining a seat or two, including in Holderness, regained off a defector to Labour.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
argh Winston McKenzie is apparently following me: I switched to Radio 4 to avoid him and he's now on here

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

British people. Please finish up electing your ruling lizard person. The rest of the world needs to know who will be responsible for dealing with the "Irish threat".

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

^^Not what we are up to today, duck.

IceAgeComing posted:

argh Winston McKenzie is apparently following me: I switched to Radio 4 to avoid him and he's now on here

He seems nice, calm, and considered. The three mains have clearly decided to close ranks and just claim its a protest, rather than people actually believing their shite. As we all knew tbh

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The majority of people just vote on what they are used to eg 'im labour my father was labour' most don't even read the loving manifesto. I'm no clever person but i am capable of reading, just.

I'm green because its the nearest fit to my worldview when you read what they want, far from perfect of course but what is.

I'm listening to the results programme on BBC now and all i hear is 'ukip' every other word and no one saying what their policy's are and soundbites. its loving stupid and annoying and I'm going to turn the telly off now.

Why cant anyone just campaign on real things?

I just think we should put everything in the hands of an AI send every MP and counciler to work in the coal mines.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

I just think we should put everything in the hands of an AI send every MP and counciler to work in the coal mines.

Who programmes the AI? :v:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

The majority of people just vote on what they are used to eg 'im labour my father was labour' most don't even read the loving manifesto. I'm no clever person but i am capable of reading, just.

I'm green because its the nearest fit to my worldview when you read what they want, far from perfect of course but what is.

I'm listening to the results programme on BBC now and all i hear is 'ukip' every other word and no one saying what their policy's are and soundbites. its loving stupid and annoying and I'm going to turn the telly off now.

Hard to read a manifesto when none exists. You a touch squiffy and angry, loafer?

E: excellent point, metalloaf. Time to download PowellThatcher.exe

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Metal Loaf posted:

Who programmes the AI? :v:
Well i am doing a second degree in AI so it might be possible if you want a pant shiting boozer machine running things. I would suggest someone a bit more sensible do it though.

how about graham norton?

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 23, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well i am doing a second degree in AI so it might be possible if you want a pant shiting boozer machine running things. I would suggest someone a bit more sensible do it though.

I would have been fine with Charlie Kennedy.

E: Never seen this UKIP economics spokesperson, but he is the textbook definition of 'would slit your throat for a shilling'

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 23, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
UKIP are rumoured to have won the popular vote in Rotherham.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

So do we think we are now in a four party system?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Trickjaw posted:

European and Local elections yes, General elections no - it's too gerrymandered to have UKIP make dents

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Trickjaw posted:

You reckon Lib Dems will survive? :v:

Seriously though gently caress this county to hell and gone.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

You reckon Lib Dems will survive? :v:

Seriously though gently caress this county to hell and gone.

That was what I meant. A choice between worst, bad, and bad lite. But in honesty, even if people did think it was a protest vote, they nay be spurred on to vote UKIP in the general. Not that they will do out, but even one MP is dangerous.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Not until UKIP get actual control of a couple of councils.

So far they've just gained a few council seats which isn't that impressive compared to the amount of publicity they've been getting and the money they've spent, especially with people's willingness to vote for the fringe parties in council/EU elections (see a few years ago the BNP getting some council seats and then failing to do anything at a general).

haakman
May 5, 2011
Ok, someone explain this to me - the BBC is showing Labour +83 seats, Con down 80 odd, LD down 80 odd and UKIP up 86. Yet the headline is 'UKIP stealing seats from the tories and labour'...

Why aren't they saying anything about Labour gaining seats?!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

haakman posted:

Ok, someone explain this to me - the BBC is showing Labour +83 seats, Con down 80 odd, LD down 80 odd and UKIP up 86. Yet the headline is 'UKIP stealing seats from the tories and labour'...

You're off-message, son. You call that an angle??

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ThomasPaine posted:

Probably a stupid question but why don't they use pens (like the little ones in betting shops), just to avoid stupid accusations of this kind.

Though I have to admit I went to the polling station without the voting card and they didn't even ask for ID when I said my name and address. If I knew someone with a different polling station wasn't going to vote I could easily have just gone and voted as them. The system seems open to abuse. It really should all be digitised in some form these days.

polls are open for 15 hours. bookies pens are so poo poo they don't even last that.

pencils are cheap, easy and work. you're trying to over engineer a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
someone paranoid enough to believe that s massive conspiracy is erasing their votes and filling in another cross (please ignore the marks left behind) is always just going to latch on to something else so there's no point in trying to out crazy them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Beeb is now saying "UKIP's support surges as Tories lose seats and Labour makes modest gains in English local elections, with most results still to come. "

So they're finally accepting that Labour isn't being given a drubbing, but they're winning more seats than UKIP are. I can accept that the UKIP gains are more dramatic given the relative sizes of the two parties, but still. There's a definite showing of support for UKIP, but there's also a huge showing of support for Labour, so I don't think this proves that the inevitable swing to the right that will follow is justified.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

haakman posted:

the news always over-emphasises the novel. the main opposition party gaining seats is expected; always happens. it'd be news if labour weren't.
also there's a narrative been constructed over the last year or so, so anything fitting into that gets played up.

i went to sleep in a conservative council, and woke up in a labour one. happy days. victory to the people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Pencils also make a much larger and more definite mark, and don't potentially leak and produce redundant marks.

Rumours saying that Labour have finally got their poo poo together in Tower Hamlets and may regain both the council and the Mayoralty, but multiple recounts (and accusations of massive fraud in every direction) in several wards mean this could run and run.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ I can't take my eyes off UKIP guy's tie. Purple and yellow is not a good look, why the hell are those their colours. He looks like he should be running a greasy beach arcade in Blackpool. UKIP's logo just looks like a budget supermarket.
Those colours have a proud history within British politics!

Pictured: Ivor Biggun, Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party.

quote:

Their policies include

-the compulsory serving of asparagus at breakfast,
-free corsets for the under-fives, and
-the abolition of slavery.
Sadly they've gotten a lot more extremist since then.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There were so many split ballots today, a lot of them with totally bizarre voting preferences. People were voting UKIP and green, UKIP and Lib Dem etc. When I left, I think 5 wards had been announced and every single one went Lib Dem (in a staunchly Lib Dem controlled London borough, probably the only one left after this election), as UKIP had split the tory vote. The Lib Dem councillors were all getting above 1k votes, Tories below that in the hundreds (there is practically no Labour presence at all here).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Michael Gove is on the telly saying "We need to gently caress the poors much harder to counter the UKIP threat".

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I hope Nate Silver covers the elections next year because relying on the BBC for coverage is poo poo.

Give me graphs, exit polls etc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Lib Dem parliamentary fucks have pissed away Portsmouth Council and it looks like it'll be a UKIP/Tory coalition.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The one good side of this is that there'll be years of ukip councillors slowly being sacked for horrendous racist statements, which will at least be funny

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They're discussing the Thailand coup on BBC breakfast tv. The main concern of the presenters is how badly the 10pm curfew will spoil British tourist's nights out and whether they'll be able to claim any compensation from their holiday firms.

Never change, breakfast tv, never change!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

haakman posted:

Labour got hammered in the last round of local elections and needed to come back strongly to position themselves well for 2015. Ideally, they were hoping to gain ~500 seats; anything less than 300 would have been a bit of a disaster and would suggest that they're not capable of winning a majority in 2015. As it stands, they've gained ~100 seats with around one third of the results in, so they're right at the bottom end of the 'acceptable' range. Worse for them, UKIP have been picking up seats in places that should be natural Labour territory, such as Rotherham. That's hurting Labour's seat count and reducing their ability to take overall control of councils.

Basically, while both Labour and UKIP appear to be picking up seats at around the same rate, Labour are performing below expectations while UKIP are overperforming.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Umiapik posted:

They're discussing the Thailand coup on BBC breakfast tv. The main concern of the presenters is how badly the 10pm curfew will spoil British tourist's nights out and whether they'll be able to claim any compensation from their holiday firms.

Never change, breakfast tv, never change!

Given some of the pictures I saw yesterday of people slaughtered in Syria, I feel a little guilty being so upset with some bigots getting a bit of power, but still its depressing.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Seaside Loafer posted:

Maybe we are all tired of voting for our fathers party.

These are pretty exciting results. A clear message is being sent to the main three. UKIP is now a party to be reckoned with, and Nigel has exactly one year to get the extreme right wing cloud that has been following them around dissipated and become even more 'for the people'.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 23, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Trickjaw posted:

DesperateDan, welcome your new UKIP councillor in Sarfend. Where Basildon leads, Southend follows

Burn everything burn it right down nuke the cities salt the earth leave warnings to our progeny never to enter the realm of basildon man.

I knew it was going to happen though, the place is overflow from Eastbourne for old people waiting to die, and a bunch of white flight from london/suburbs, and hence there's a fuckload of bigots that always voted tory. Over the last 10 years or so, some run down areas (westcliff, hamlet court road) that had been deserted have been filled with lovely diverse communities, bigots get angry at the incumbent tory MP's (one toes party line 100%, the other is David Amess, of "cake" fame and well known for running away from reporters to hide in hairdressers) doing nothing about all these funny talking and looking people, and vote bnp in blazers.

Add to that, the local council is heavily corrupt even by local council standards, and lots of cash meant for social buildings/access got wasted on absolute bullshit projects carried out under overpriced contracts by contracting companies with heavy links to the councillors, such as repaving the high street about a dozen times, or the abomination that is the road along the seafront now (no official crossings down the entire stretch, people have to chance traffic or hope people stop).

About another 20 years and this place might have a chance, I knock it a lot, but I love the near 24/7 availability of decent curried goat

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Maybe we are all tired of voting for our fathers party.

These are pretty exciting results. A clear message is being sent to the main three. UKIP is now a party to be reckoned with, and Nigel has exactly one year to get the extreme right wing cloud that has been following them around dissipated and become even more 'for the people'.
'for the people, just not those people.'

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

tooterfish posted:

'for the people, just not those people.'

So far I have seen three Asian UKIP members standing for a seat and one African descent. Are 'they' the people you refer too? I am pretty sure a white supremacist party would not have coloureds? I don't know maybe im stupid, could you explain it to me please? Or are you part of the ignorant scare mongering brigade that doesn't like change? Even a Labour MP stated this morning that this smear campaign will have to stop now as UKIP needs to be taken seriously and worked with from now on.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 23, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So far I have seen three Asian UKIP members standing for a seat and one African descent. Are 'they' the people you refer too? I am pretty sure a white supremacist party would not have coloureds? I don't know maybe im stupid, could you explain it to me please? Or are you part of the ignorant scare mongering brigade that doesn't like change? Even a Labour MP stated this morning that this smear campaign will have to stop now as UKIP needs to be taken seriously and worked with from now on.

Who said anything about White supremacy? You can be racist and xenophobic without being white supremacist.

The FN has "coloureds" (what the hell?) members as well, that doesn't make them any less xenophobic shits.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Nigel has exactly one year to get the extreme right wing cloud that has been following them around dissipated and become even more 'for the people'.

Whenever UKIP float a policy idea that's not related to the EU or general immigration it's some fringe Libertarian idea borrowed from the US. It'll be interesting to see whether the protest votes stick with them when you have Farage talking about legalising handguns and Keith Rowe banging on about scrapping nearly every piece of employment legislation we have.

They've managed to avoid being challenged on anything other than their stance on the EU and immigration, having to talk about their actual policies won't endear them to many.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Youre reaching friend, your reaching.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Obviously the BNP can't be racist, they have a black person in the party!

e: Sorry, I meant a coloured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I see, so now you are saying UKIP isn't a racist party anymore but its members may be racist? That applies to all the parties then doesn't it?

• Locked thread