Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hhhat posted:

Plus it's like poetry...

I was born here.

Yeah well you're gonna die here. Convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Parachute posted:

Between watching STITD last night and seeing that awesome-looking creature, I am confident that Episode 7 will look loving fantastic, if nothing else.

loving hell. STID looks like loving poo poo, sounds like poo poo and plays out like poo poo.

ST09 was pretty drat good, though it had a few rough patches. How STID can be made by the same people is a loving enigma.

If episode 7 has just one scene that matches the opening of ST09 I'll be ecstatic, because drat if that wasn't one of the best openings to a summer blockbuster in years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really like the overall plot and style of STID. It's paced and shot like a classic space adventure, and I love how much of it takes place inside one or two ships in perilous situations.

It's just the Star Trekky details and the script that lets it down. I wouldn't call it a failure of Abrams though.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I hope the planets they introduce have more than one eco-system. Tatooine? Desert planet. Hoth? Ice planet. Dagobah? Swamp planet!

Also, both of Abrams Trek movies own and I'm confidant that Episode 7 will follow suit.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Naboo seems to have a mostly normal ecosystem, but it somehow isn't good enough to support people during a blockade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pops Mgee posted:

Naboo seems to have a mostly normal ecosystem, but it somehow isn't good enough to support people during a blockade.

They need their death stick supply!

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

I always thought of it in a sense that a modern (in this world obviously) functioning planet-state would potentially have billions more inhabitants than it could possibly be able to provide for with agriculture all on its lonesome. It would be dependent on essentially how modern nation-states cope in our world today, a from of globalisation - but in this case, being galactisation.

This makes sense on its own, as a galaxy-spanning state in the form of the Galactic Republic could only have formed in the first place through some level of galactic economic inter-connectedness. It makes even more sense if you want to take into account the EU stuff/fluff that points out that the human population of Naboo is a colonial one, I don't know how long ago this colonisation occured, but if it happened within the last few centuries then you could argue that it hasn't developed a reasonable sense of economic autarky yet. If it happened much earlier though, with enough time to be established, then the galactisation point still stands.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I wish someone would create some new and exciting IPs. We seem to have a decade of superhero/scifi sequels ahead of us.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sylink posted:

I wish someone would create some new and exciting IPs. We seem to have a decade of superhero/scifi sequels ahead of us.

They made $$$ over the previous decade so I doubt producers are going to stop now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sylink posted:

Go watch Edge of Tomorrow then.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

computer parts posted:

Go watch Edge of Tomorrow then.

Yes do this!

;)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
So this is happening...

Would otherwise be incredibly excited if it werent for the writer having done After Earth.

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

Star Wars posted:

GARETH EDWARDS AND GARY WHITTA ONBOARD FOR STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM
May 22, 2014
In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010s The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gotta love how their press release doesn't mention that this screenwriter's only other credit is After Earth. I'd trust a random teenager they pull off the street as a screenwriter over that guy.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Episode 7 better deliver or this might lose them a lot of money.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Krayt dragon attacks Mos Eisley

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Arkane posted:

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Episode 7 better deliver or this might lose them a lot of money.

You are cute! You really think they can lose money on the Star Wars brand?

The worst thing that can happen is audience fatigue, and by the looks of it, it'll be 10 years before that happens.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Slugworth posted:

There's Renoir, there's Ozu, and then there's Gareth Edwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AccountSupervisor posted:

So this is happening...

Would otherwise be incredibly excited if it werent for the writer having done After Earth.

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

He also worked with Telltale on The Walking Dead, which automatically makes him a pretty cool dude. I like to think that Will Smith and Shamalyamalan's influence was the biggest problem with After Earth (which I forgot that I saw until I was just reminded) and they meddled their way to the bottom of the poo poo-heap. So you never know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

He also worked with Telltale on The Walking Dead, which automatically makes him a pretty cool dude. I like to think that Will Smith and Shamalyamalan's influence was the biggest problem with After Earth (which I forgot that I saw until I was just reminded) and they meddled their way to the bottom of the poo poo-heap. So you never know.

Yeah, remember that Will Smith originally came up with the idea of "father and son traveling in the wilderness, their vehicle breaks down, and the son has to go get help" and then decided it should be a big budget sci-fi epic.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Gary Whitta also wrote The Book of Eli which I think is a good movie :colbert:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Trump posted:

The worst thing that can happen is audience fatigue, and by the looks of it, it'll be 10 years before that happens.

It is by no means a foregone conclusion. Ep 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be a money maker, yeah. Stand alone film with a bad screenwriter and a tenderfoot director, not so much.

I guess we'll see how it goes. We're off to an inauspicious start.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Wars 7 will make its budget back on merchandising alone weeks before the movie releases.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

computer parts posted:

Yeah, remember that Will Smith originally came up with the idea of "father and son traveling in the wilderness, their vehicle breaks down, and the son has to go get help" and then decided it should be a big budget sci-fi epic.
I blame Scientology.

I know it's not too clear whether Will is/was a member, but his son posts stuff on Twitter that sounds like the ramblings of someone in Scientology, I swear.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Come on you know that After Earth had a bunch of script control by Smith and M. Night. That dude barely gets a credit, unfortunately for him I guess.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Arkane posted:

It is by no means a foregone conclusion. Ep 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be a money maker, yeah. Stand alone film with a bad screenwriter and a tenderfoot director, not so much.

I guess we'll see how it goes. We're off to an inauspicious start.

Stars Wars + "From the Director of GODZILLA" should be ok.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know what level his involvement was, but The Walking Dead games are brilliant and the best part of that franchise pretty much on the strength of their writing alone, so there is that.

Of course, he also worked on Duke Nukem Forever, Prey, and Gears of War. So...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I guess this means we're back to loving Tatooine again. Well...as a ground zero for a new era I guess it's alright. But seriously, for the most boring place in the galaxy there sure is a lot going on.

But you see, everybody knows nothing goes on there, so if you want to try something... everybody knows that's the place to go, because, everybody knows nothing goes on there, so...

Edit:

Trump posted:

Well, they came as close as they ever did with the Clone Wars "movie"...

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 23, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like how literally every screenwriter ever mentioned in CD is singled out as bad, unless they're also a director.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
A good screenwriter is me, please read my script it's called "look who's talking 2 too"

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Slugworth posted:

Exogorths vs. Death Stars

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Gary Whitta is a Neogaf poster and they compiled this list of things he has said about Star Wars on there:

Gary Whitta has Star Wars shoes
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20567455

Gary Whitta is sick of the Clone Wars
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10617593&postcount=28

Gary Whitta isn't terribly fond of the prequels
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20631341&postcount=984
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31023708&postcount=3814
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30637794&postcount=2052
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11318264&postcount=1707

Gary Whitta doesn't like Lucas's changes to the original trilogy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30621657&postcount=1947
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30638345&postcount=2059

Gary Whitta has boycotted the Blu-rays
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052935&postcount=4125

Gary Whitta has edited old Star Wars-related posts in the last few months, probably for saying something incriminating
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30638345&postcount=2059
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20818886&postcount=11

Corek fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 13, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Quotes in case he deletes some more:

On The Clone Wars series:

quote:

<---- sick of the clone wars.
On the prequels:

quote:

Obligatory joke about how Lucas already made Star Wars comedy, it's called Episodes I-III, etc etc

quote:

Having seen 1-3 maybe it's for the best.

quote:

I mean the OT. I don't know what Revenge of the Sith is, is that fan fiction?

quote:

Guess what, those movies loving sucked too.

On the Blu-Ray editions:

quote:

Word of the Star Wars changes reaches Hitler's bunker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBP_U5VAB-Q

quote:

OG editions of Episodes IV, V and VI ACQUIRED! Ripping them to AppleTV this afternoon, then I plan to watch the trilogy the way I remember it! gently caress Lucas and his vandalized Blu-rays. He's turned us all into scavengers, scraping around in the trash cans of the internet for our childhoods.

quote:

Was accused today by a twitter follower of boycotting the BDs because I am "old and jaded". That motherfucker got BLOCKED.

People saying "I don't like these changes but I'm still buying because I love Star Wars" have got it all backward. You're putting up with this bullshit because you don't love it enough!

This was deleted but survives in quotes:

quote:

I just want my original ROTJ ending with the original non-lovely Ewok victory music and non-lovely Hayden ghost Anakin.

Oh, and no Greedo shooting first, and no hosed-up Jabba's palace GGI musical number and (etc etc)

With his Star Wars shoes:

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Corek posted:

With his Star Wars shoes:

This thread looking in the mirror.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm reserved but excited about this. Gary Whitta is a good dude and I'm happy for him. He seems like he has the right attitude for this, so I hope it pays off. I guess we'll see in 2016.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well all of his opinions are correct so I guess that's a decent start.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I like the cut of this Gary Whitta chap's jib.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is all a good sign. Everything I've heard from people making the new films sounds like it's coming from the same nerds that hated what Lucas did to the series and wants their childhoods back. JJ Abrams in particular is very much a kid at heart who wants the old series back. It's a shame they couldn't go as far as declaring I-III and the Clone Wars non-canon, because I'm sure they'd like to. That would have been a bit too much of a diss to ol' Georgey though.

I just really hope Disney has enough sense to release the originals on Blu Ray one of these days with the love they deserve.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

Well all of his opinions are correct so I guess that's a decent start.

Even better is the fact that he got hired by Disney with those opinions and what that says about their approach.

:banjo:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

hhhat posted:

Even better is the fact that he got hired by Disney with those opinions and what that says about their approach.

:banjo:

Considering Disney's actions included canceling Clone Wars, shipping all the games to EA and deleting the Extended Universe, I'd say Gary Whitta's fundamentalism is perfect.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want my childhood back!! Finally, now that a Star War is being written by a man as angry as I am the childhood stolen from me may be retuned finally. Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I don't get the Clone Wars hate, rocky start at first, but it got a lot better. Season 6 had some great story arcs.

• Locked thread