Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Baronjutter posted:

"too difficult to fail"

gently caress, that's the ONE thing I wanted.

\/ I was really hoping for difficulty sliders that made the game borderline impossible. Where simply surviving to the modern age would be a serious achievement.

There's a youtube channel linked earlier where a dude is doing a playthrough on the hardest difficulty. It does not seem impossible by any stretch of the imagination, but money is harder to come by, his people are more restless, and foreign factions are much more difficult to keep happy (there's a point where he almost gets invaded by the Axis, and has to immediately put down embassies and praise them before the situation gets too out of hand). I feel like there's a lot of ways to toe the line and flirt with failure for big rewards. It also looks like it's easier to be a complete totalitarian rear end in a top hat and win by oppressing your people into the ground.

I don't know, to me it looks like the game will be pretty damned amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

As I play 4 while waiting for 5 to come out tomorrow, something came out of nowhere and struck me as a fix/feature I desperately want: less annoying tornadoes. Every other disaster is okay, poo poo happens and is broken and I can go back to fixing it. Tornadoes spend about a month on my map tearing poo poo up and I can't fix it despite life going on otherwise because they hang around like assholes.

My desire for this might have something to do with the fact that 3 tornadoes just snuck behind my defenses. :argh:

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Alkydere posted:

As I play 4 while waiting for 5 to come out tomorrow, something came out of nowhere and struck me as a fix/feature I desperately want: less annoying tornadoes. Every other disaster is okay, poo poo happens and is broken and I can go back to fixing it. Tornadoes spend about a month on my map tearing poo poo up and I can't fix it despite life going on otherwise because they hang around like assholes.

My desire for this might have something to do with the fact that 3 tornadoes just snuck behind my defenses. :argh:

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=21861
I'm not sure it works, but maybe this mod can help you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sedisp posted:

Yeah that struck me as kind of silly. Entirely optional quests don't really take away player agency.

Hasn't Tropico always been too difficult to fail without imposing limitations on yourself?

I don't know about that. I own Tropico 2, and that's painful to play, to me at least.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Phanos posted:

So Ars Technica put out a review for Tropico 5 a few hours ago: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/tropico-5-review-empire-building-with-a-bit-too-much-guidance/

I can't say I'm too surprised that its a mixed bag. I didn't pre-order but now I'm a little hesitant to buy it.

I'm still going to play the shot out of it as soon as I can.

Bloodly posted:

I don't know about that. I own Tropico 2, and that's painful to play, to me at least.

Tropico 2 was pretty easy. Wait was that the pirates? The pirates one was really hard.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The one thing the reviews haven't touched on at all is the multiplayer aspect, probably because the servers weren't up. I do wonder how that will work, but I'm sure you goons will be able to tell us all about it. They're selling the eras thing, but I'm just more curious about how the multiplayer works. Do you work with each other, or do you try to screw each other over, and how do you "win" a match, by taking out the other El Presidentes?

Press builds don't get the multiplayer I guess. Or people just wanted to see how the game played compared to Tropico 4 without getting other people in the way or something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

The one thing the reviews haven't touched on at all is the multiplayer aspect, probably because the servers weren't up. I do wonder how that will work, but I'm sure you goons will be able to tell us all about it. They're selling the eras thing, but I'm just more curious about how the multiplayer works. Do you work with each other, or do you try to screw each other over, and how do you "win" a match, by taking out the other El Presidentes?

Press builds don't get the multiplayer I guess. Or people just wanted to see how the game played compared to Tropico 4 without getting other people in the way or something.

From the brief preview stuff I saw, it looks like sandbox missions have victory conditions like "points," money, or one or two other things. Presumably points are achieved via doing things during the game, like exporting goods first, achieving happiness, etc. I doubt it's just killing the other presidentes, or it'd be a really boring RTS.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It sounds like much like sandbox it's sort of a "make your own goal" system. It encourages both cooperation (for resources) and competition (for land) so my best guess is you do what you want.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

From the brief preview stuff I saw, it looks like sandbox missions have victory conditions like "points," money, or one or two other things. Presumably points are achieved via doing things during the game, like exporting goods first, achieving happiness, etc. I doubt it's just killing the other presidentes, or it'd be a really boring RTS.

TotalBiscuit's video showed that you can set up different goals for sandbox games. There are research victories in addition to the points and money (which iirc is swiss bank account money.)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

TotalBiscuit's video showed that you can set up different goals for sandbox games. There are research victories in addition to the points and money (which iirc is swiss bank account money.)

I assume all of this applies to multiplayer games as well, which is why I brought it up - it'd give a bit more dimension to games.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hm, has anyone received keys from GMG yet? I'm so used to them giving out the keys days ahead of time, but I guess that's just if the games can be preloaded.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SubNat posted:

Hm, has anyone received keys from GMG yet? I'm so used to them giving out the keys days ahead of time, but I guess that's just if the games can be preloaded.

Yeah if it can't be preloaded they usually hand it out once its ready to be downloaded. There's been a few snags where the publisher simply forgets to let them release it and it might take a few more hours but they should be good today.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Just got my key from GMG, doesn't look like there's any preloading though.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SubNat posted:

Just got mine from GMG, but the game is still locked after activating on Steam. :shrug:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

TheDK posted:

Just got mine from GMG, but the game is still locked after activating on Steam. :shrug:

Well, according to Steam it'll unlock in around 3 hours, just wait around then, or restart Steam around that time and bamf, we'll be allowed to install.

e: Still, anyone know roughly how large it is?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

e: Still, anyone know roughly how large it is?
Presidente is larger than life itself and her/his greatness cannot be measured in such ways.

System specs required says 4gb on both minimum and recommended which seems about right.

Edit: VVVV like a rebel.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Edit: ^^^^^ Beaten.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Looks like it's unlocked on Steam!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

escalator dropdown posted:

Looks like it's unlocked on Steam!

After a quick restart of Steam, it is indeed unlocked!

Installing now.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

It only downloaded 114mb of DirectX and vcredist files :confused:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mayor Defacto posted:

Tropican software is veeeeryyy efficient at compressing files, gringo!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Tropico 5 is showing up as an ~2GB download for me.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Almost loaded here. Llamastan shall live again!

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Mayor Defacto posted:

Restart Steam maybe? Just finished a 1.9GB download and install, and have the starting menu loaded, so it's definitely up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This has really bizarre amounts of gamepad support. I can't actually select anything while using the gamepad (that I can find) but I can do practically everything else.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mayor Defacto posted:

Blargh, I have the same problem, steam client is 100% up to date, restart doesn't help.

Ugh, according to the forums, it appears to be a gift copy problem, as in if you weren't the one who actually bought it as part of a multi-pack purchase you get the stupid 114mb install.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 23, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So why was TotalBiscuit on an NDA about talking about the later eras of the game? Are there UFO buildings you can unlock?

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

...if you bought as part of a 4 pack or something.

Yup.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So far things I've noticed:
  • very grid oriented
  • you can't build a college until the World War era (gaah)
  • 5 handles alt tabbing out a lot better than 4 (doesn't close every time like 4 does)
  • Penultimo got a new hat and moustache and voice actor. I miss the old Penultimo's VA already.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
*edit*
Done, thanks!

tehsid fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 23, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

So why was TotalBiscuit on an NDA about talking about the later eras of the game? Are there UFO buildings you can unlock?

We don't know. Joystiq wasn't allowed to show anything past the world war era too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh Tropico, how I have missed you. :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm a huge idiot thinking of going home early from work to play tropico but I got a 4 pack. Am I screwed until they fix it or is there a work-around? I remotely installed and it says there's a ~100 meg file waiting for me at home.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Alkydere posted:

So far things I've noticed:
  • you can't build a college until the World War era (gaah)
  • 5 handles alt tabbing out a lot better than 4 (doesn't close every time like 4 does)
  • Penultimo got a new hat and moustache and voice actor. I miss the old Penultimo's VA already.

Good! Locking the Rum Distillery and higher education behind eras was a brilliant move for difficulty. Same with locking traits behind dynasties.

4 never gave me problems with this, ever. It alt-tabbed just as easily as 5.

I prefer the new VA.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Orv posted:

Oh Tropico, how I have missed you. :allears:

The writing is still excellent, definitely on par with 4. :allears: New Penultimo is way too dignified for my tastes though. Love his stache and hat though.

Also, I just noticed that you can actually see what goods are piling up in your docks, so you know if that giant pile of loot you're about to offload is llama wool or oil or furniture made from exotic and endangered trees.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm a huge idiot thinking of going home early from work to play tropico but I got a 4 pack. Am I screwed until they fix it or is there a work-around? I remotely installed and it says there's a ~100 meg file waiting for me at home.

Currently screwed, we'll see if there's a workaround.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man I don't entirely remember the soundtrack from 4 but there is just an abundance of noodling in this one.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

goddamn you all, this is going to be the longest day of work ever. :mad:

Keep posting your early impressions though! :)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Orv posted:

Man I don't entirely remember the soundtrack from 4 but there is just an abundance of noodling in this one.

It feels like there was more variety with Tropico 4, yeah.

evvv: I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

It feels like there was more variety with Tropico 4, yeah.

Just a thought but maybe it changes based on era?

• Locked thread