Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

Aren't Aatrek jokes so old at this point that not even Aatrek would be interested in them?
God drat :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Aren't Aatrek jokes so old at this point that not even Aatrek would be interested in them?

Wowzers

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

Literally the best forums joke that has been, is, or ever will be made.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well I wasn't really too big into TVIV to be 'here' during the reign of Aatrek but I am kinda glad we had a benevolent overlord in the form of Deadpool as a mod. Great times, but good luck with your future.

Hopefully the new mods follow your example.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deadpool posted:

I just notified OSG and posted this in the mod forum but I wanted to let you guys know as well. I've just accepted a new position at work and will be moving in three weeks. My free time will be even more limited than it is now and not that there's a ton of work to do as a mod but I will be stepping down here at the same time. I never really expected to be a mod in the first place and when I did become one I didn't think it would last for very long anyway. It's been an interesting year to say the least and for the most part it's been a fun distraction (one situation notwithstanding), but it's time for me to move on and let someone else take over. As always OSG will be here lurking silently and while I've made my suggestion I have no idea who will be the new mod. I offered to stay on and help whoever is picked figure things out but I don't know if I'll be de-modded in three weeks or three minutes. So if you need anything from me check if I still have a star or not and if not then contact OSG.

Sorry to hear that. You've been one of the best mods on SA.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

:vince:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

zoux posted:

Russians do loving brutal nihilistic movies about WW 2. You might too if 80% of all males born in the USSR in 1923 died in WW2.

Putin has also argued that the Russian intervention in Ukraine is to stop the Fascists from taking over. So it's not like Americans are the only ones who keep WWII in mind. (For what it's worth, from what I understand, there was popular youth support in Ukraine to look east, and try to get closer to the EU. But Russia basically bribed the president of Ukraine to go back to being Russia's bitch, and a lot of people objected to that, leading to a popular revolution.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 23, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a question for those with Netflix, do they still have the Discovery Channel shows streaming? I went to watch something on Amazon today on my iPad and found that they had removed all of the Discovery Channel shows and that really sucks. If Netflix still has them I may have to re-sub.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I have a question for those with Netflix, do they still have the Discovery Channel shows streaming? I went to watch something on Amazon today on my iPad and found that they had removed all of the Discovery Channel shows and that really sucks. If Netflix still has them I may have to re-sub.

Give me ten minutes to finish this episode of 24 and I can check for you. What is it that you want to watch?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jingleheimer posted:

Give me ten minutes to finish this episode of 24 and I can check for you. What is it that you want to watch?

Nothing specific, I was just going to throw on an episode of Mythbusters or How it's Made or some dumb survival show to kill some time. I do that pretty frequently but haven't in a while so I have no idea when they were removed from Prime but it couldn't be more than a month or two.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Nothing specific, I was just going to throw on an episode of Mythbusters or How it's Made or some dumb survival show to kill some time. I do that pretty frequently but haven't in a while so I have no idea when they were removed from Prime but it couldn't be more than a month or two.

I see both of those available to watch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dammit, life was so much simpler with only one streaming service.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
On a similar note, I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I just have basic cable and no DVR, and with my work schedule I can't watch anything as it airs so I have been basically been waiting for Netflix or Amazon to add new seasons of shows in order to watch them. Would it be worth it for me to get Hulu Plus as well to be more up to date on shows? I never liked the idea of paying money to watch poo poo on Hulu because they make you sit though commercials anyway, but since I'm behind on pretty much every show now I think it might be worth dishing out a few extra bucks but I'd like to hear the opinion of others before spending the money.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You still get ads on Hulu Plus right? Sometimes it's worth the wait.

Anyone catch Gang Related? It seems like it wants to be the latest in a trend of CROOKED COPS DOING WHAT MUST BE DONE TO STEM THE RISING TIDE OF GANG VIOLENCE AND DRUGS, to the point where no one on the team questions planting drugs or torturing a suspect with a taser on drive stun.

Godfather homage at the end was alright though.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Deadpool, you're a good mod and seem like a cool guy, best of luck with your move and stuff. :) :respek: :)

Edit: the way everyone keeps throwing out different names for TVIV mod makes me think of the Pirates of the Caribbean voting for a pirate king/queen. :cheeky:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 23, 2014

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Oh god it's the end of an era. At least this one ended pleasantly, and not with pedophilia.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I can't think of a time where it would have been tougher to be a mod. Not just in TVIV (Game of Thrones, Aatrek) but in general, what with the half-dozen mods we've lost in the past year and with the site falling apart figuratively and literally.

You did a great job.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, I can't think of a time where it would have been tougher to be a mod. Not just in TVIV (Game of Thrones, Aatrek) but in general, what with the half-dozen mods we've lost in the past year and with the site falling apart figuratively and literally.

You did a great job.
I can't remember a time that's been as bad as it is now (regarding the health of the forums). How long have the forums been without a coder? I've been keeping up with the stuff in QCS but it's understandably a little hard to get straight answers out of it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sucks to see you go, Deadpool, the LMS and Review Game Threads are some of the most fun I've had on this subforum. Hopefully your successor is as rad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stepping down for legitimate reasons is a little boring.

Pedophile, FYAD meltdown, bestiality, killed by Microsoft to silence Xbone dissent, shared mod forum "secrets", got a new job and didn't have time anymore.

Yawn.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Anyone catch Gang Related? It seems like it wants to be the latest in a trend of CROOKED COPS DOING WHAT MUST BE DONE TO STEM THE RISING TIDE OF GANG VIOLENCE AND DRUGS, to the point where no one on the team questions planting drugs or torturing a suspect with a taser on drive stun.

I think it just wants to be The Departed for the Fast & Furious generation (Chris Morgan wrote the pilot). I don't think that material is there to advance a Just World philosophy (am I using the term right?) as it is to muddy the waters for the protagonist, and show that neither of the two worlds he lives in are clean. Javier Acosta wants him to protect the family while he figures out a way to go straight; if these guys are willing to go to such lengths to get him, he might have the right idea.

I liked it, but I'm not crazy about it. Scott Rosenbaum from The Shield is taking the show from here, so it'll be interesting to watch. On one hand he was running one of the seasons of the V remake, but ABC seems to have a problem with creative micromanagement that leads to poo poo like the V remake.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember when Life Alert commercials were campy and funny?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlpDiXPZHQ

Welp...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4JzxG0cnpg
:stare:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Could be worse, could be Canadian workplace safety ads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most disturbing commercials to me are Brinks Home Security commercials for their subtext that all (white) women are on the edge of immediate rape peril in their handsome suburban homes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-j_EnD8M8

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

No, seriously, Canadian workplace safety ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llQL9RM_KOo

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Could be worse, could be Canadian workplace safety ads.
Yeah some of that poo poo is nightmare fuel worthy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Subtext is more chilling than text, y'all!!!!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What's with all the crossposting from the Ads You Hate thread?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Stepping down for legitimate reasons is a little boring.

Pedophile, FYAD meltdown, bestiality, killed by Microsoft to silence Xbone dissent, shared mod forum "secrets", got a new job and didn't have time anymore.

Yawn.

Don't forget "prescribed LSD to cure heroin addiction".

(Actually that guy was alright by me).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also I made a bunch of TVIV poster specific house banners because it's stupid and fun

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Also I made a bunch of TVIV poster specific house banners because it's stupid and fun

I don't know whether to pity you for doing this or be mad at you for not doing Irish Joe

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

On a similar note, I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I just have basic cable and no DVR, and with my work schedule I can't watch anything as it airs so I have been basically been waiting for Netflix or Amazon to add new seasons of shows in order to watch them. Would it be worth it for me to get Hulu Plus as well to be more up to date on shows? I never liked the idea of paying money to watch poo poo on Hulu because they make you sit though commercials anyway, but since I'm behind on pretty much every show now I think it might be worth dishing out a few extra bucks but I'd like to hear the opinion of others before spending the money.

Hulu Plus has the Criterion Collection (some of which is available elsewhere) and a bunch of British shows which may also be available on regular Hulu. I had to get Hulu Plus to watch something for a class once and basically never got around to cancelling it. The 8 bucks a month is worth it to me because:

it is nice to not have to wait a week for new episodes (sometimes waiting until 12:01 am is TOO MUCH)
it is nice to be able to watch (most, not all) shows on a big old TV via the Hulu Plus app (which on my current television is pretty sweet)

Like you, I do not have cable and never watch live TV due to schedule but also I live in a weird pocket under the mountain with all the broadcast towers and get only Fox, CW, Spanish language, and Christian stations over the air. (Think UHF) So, take my two cents for the less than .5 nickels it is worth.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

I don't know whether to pity you for doing this or be mad at you for not doing Irish Joe

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Rarity posted:

Definitely the latter. A potato with the motto, "Roundly mocked but a staple nonetheless."

No, that is Ravane but the motto should be, "Use the goddamn Ignore button."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BarbarousBertha posted:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BarbarousBertha posted:

That doesn't work if every rear end in a top hat keeps quoting him.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I really like this, thank you Anus. :)

Vincent posted:

That doesn't work if every rear end in a top hat keeps quoting him.

Hmm, I didn't know people blocked me. I'm sorry that you felt you had to do so because of my vagarious falsities, for they were only ever intended in jest.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Hmm, I didn't know people blocked me. I'm sorry that you felt you had to do so because of my vagarious falsities, for they were only ever intended in jest.

Verily, but doth take a sage word of advice: no personne who speaketh of the block has blocked nor ever intends as such. The block is but a feint to shame its target absent true action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

The most disturbing commercials to me are Brinks Home Security commercials for their subtext that all (white) women are on the edge of immediate rape peril in their handsome suburban homes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-j_EnD8M8

The most realistic one is when they come home and there's some generic scuzzy guy who quickly leaves. None of this running at the front door at full speed poo poo.

• Locked thread