Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tesilential posted:

Can you relabel that image with "slower action" on the left and "fast action" on the right? lol

Aren't you the resident fisheries biologist? I had a biology degree but only got to study fish in the very last chapter of my Limnology textbook. I was pissed, thought the entire class was about fish in ponds but apparently there were much more important things to study like turbidity and other crap I don't care about and long since forgot. Also my university had 8000 students enrolled in biology programs but only offered a Marine biology every spring semester and it only seated 10 students. :( Majoring in biology was the worst.

Yeah, that's me unless someone else is in here.

Sucks about your major, I did biology in undergrad as well. My school was pretty heavily weighted toward producing pre-meds, so the natural sciences weren't very well developed. I found out after I graduated that we had an environmental studies degree all along, but through my own inattention or advisors that never asked what I wanted to do, I never knew until too late. Oh well, I got more intense schooling in chemistry, physics, physiology, etc. than the enviro bunch.

Fishing in itself is a pretty good education in aquatic ecology if you pay enough attention. Keep a journal with conditions, dates, notes on other animals and plants, and you're doing phenology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
And the federal red snapper season goes from 11 days to 9 days... why don't they just close it and be done with it? I keep hoping this management is just due to incompetence, but it keeps looking more and more like corruption or at the very least a total anti-recreational fishing agenda.

To those unfamiliar with the issue, if a stock is endangered (which it is not but just for a thought experiment pretend it is) how does it make sense to have a 9 day recreational season and a 365 day commercial season?

Kid Golbez fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 15, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kid Golbez posted:

And the federal red snapper season goes from 11 days to 9 days... why don't they just close it and be done with it? I keep hoping this management is just due to incompetence, but it keeps looking more and more like corruption or at the very least an total anti-recreational fishing agenda.

To those unfamiliar with the issue, if a stock is endangered (which it is not but just for a thought experiment pretend it is) how does it make sense to have a 9 day recreational season and a 365 day commercial season?

Corruption.

There should be NO commercial fishing for any species that is considered overfished.

If Red Snapper are truly endangered, they should be made a Gamefish. That is the best way to protect a fish species. Take snook in FL. Strict seasons, only 1 fish per day, requires an extra snook stamp and has a tight slot size. I've caught near 200 snook in the past 6 months and only 8 were within the slot size of 28"-33". Of those, only 5 were caught during a legal season. I only harvested 2.

But the American Red Snapper debacle is mired in corruption, the commercial fisherman have lobbied extensively and have bought plenty of politicians. I think TheOnlineFisherman.com did a pretty thorough writeup on it last year if anyone wants to google it.

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

tesilential posted:

Corruption.

There should be NO commercial fishing for any species that is considered overfished.

If Red Snapper are truly endangered, they should be made a Gamefish. That is the best way to protect a fish species.

Absolutely! Redfish is another great example of how to manage a stock.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

The warranty is the same on both, but after pool casting with the GL2 im not sure I like the action as much. I might go back to the crucial despite not liking everything about it. The action and sensitive tip was too nice.

Have you checked out anything from the St. Croix line? They make GREAT rods, all made in the USA(Wisconsin), I believe the Shimano's are made in China and Japan. Not that China or Japan can't make quality products, but I don't think it gets much better than a St. Croix Legend Elite or Legend Extreme. But the St Croix Avid series is also very nice.

I believe Shimano bought out G. Loomis a little while back, but I don't think they changed any of their manufacturing processes.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Not to derail the current subject, but can anyone help me pick a new kayak seat.

Right now I have the crack of dawn apex which from what I've read isn't a bad seat. The problem is after a few hours my rear end is killin me, and balls start to go numb.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
St.Croix makes excellent rods but have the same kind of warranty as GLoomis and most others. That is to say there ARE questions asked and it's NOT a free replacement. It'll be $50+ to replace (each time) and you have to mail yours in and go rodless* for a couple weeks.

Hell, like I said earlier I want a st croix Mojo inshore for a backup rod, but I'm probably gonna get a Shimano Clarus just for the warranty.

*j/k we all have more than one rod

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Do you guys really break rods enough to worry about warranties?

My bass rig is a rod I picked up by Leech Lake in Minnesota about 10 years ago. Can't see breaking one unless I slammed it in a door or something.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I've had a rod explode in my hands while catching a fish once. All the rest of the rods that I've :ughh: have snapped while leaning over the rail of a pontoon boat pulling into dock at my buddies' cabin.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I can honestly say I've never broken a fishing rod in about 16 years of fishing.

I would suggest buying the best made product, not necessarily the product with the most lenient warranty, because they are often not the same products :).

But if you are worried about breaking it then I guess a 'no questions asked' return policy is good, just make sure wherever you bought it from plans to keep those rods in stock for awhile(and always has a good supply) because I can see there being issues there. If you go to return it over the counter and the only rod they have is a 5'0" UL, then you might be mailing it in anyways.

Not meaning to bash Shimano at all, they make badass reels, I've just never been super impressed with their rods.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scrapez posted:

Do you guys really break rods enough to worry about warranties?

My bass rig is a rod I picked up by Leech Lake in Minnesota about 10 years ago. Can't see breaking one unless I slammed it in a door or something.

For me it's all about the price of the rod. If I could buy a rod that felt great in my hands for less than $50 with absolutely no warranty I would do that all day long. In reality I have to spend about $100-150 to get a spinning rod that I love and I want the best warranty I can get. If I'm choosing between a similarly priced and specced Mercedes vs BMW and one has a 5 year and one has a 30 year warranty, the choice is very simple to me.

DoctaFun posted:

I can honestly say I've never broken a fishing rod in about 16 years of fishing.

The fiberglass and primitive graphite rods of yesteryear are not known for breaking. My dad has only broken 1 rod in his whole life whereas I broke 3 in the past two years (but those are the only ones in almost 20 years of fishing). The difference is mine are much lighter and thinner while being strong enough to handle the same fish. They are definitely less forgiving with regards to accidents and user error and are more prone to fail catastrophically in the case of manufacturer's defects.
Modern rods are extremely light and strong, but are more brittle and prone to breaking than cheaper graphite or fiberglass rods. Nice rods that feel like a feather and are extremely sensitive and can cast a mile are more likely to break than a $40 ugly stik. That being said on monday a friend of a friend was on the flat with us and caught a HUGE snook on an $8 walmart rod. It creaked and moaned but ultimately landed the biggest fish of his life. Nonetheless I would not use that rod unless I have no choice because it was whippy and heavy and not at all comfortable to use IMO.

DoctaFun posted:

But if you are worried about breaking it then I guess a 'no questions asked' return policy is good, just make sure wherever you bought it from plans to keep those rods in stock for awhile(and always has a good supply) because I can see there being issues there. If you go to return it over the counter and the only rod they have is a 5'0" UL, then you might be mailing it in anyways.

One cool thing about a lifetime OTC warranty is that if they stop making or carrying the rod, you get the modern day equivalent ;). When my old IM9 crucial broke at the tip (extremely thin tip known for being fragile) it was replaced with the new IM10 based crucial and not only that but I was able to change from a 7 foot medium power to a 7'6" medium heavy which weighed only a fraction more and has handled some fat fish.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've never broken a fly rod but when they cost 500+$ then I like the security of an unlimited warranty. You never know!

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Im not even kidding, I broke the shimano crucial first time fishing with it on wed. The super fast and sensitive tip basically shattered on a hookset on a fish. I also HATED the grip with the built in reel clamp as it unscrewed when I was fighting fish.

I want to like the crucial especially for the warranty, but it sounds like their tips are *too* sensitive.. They didn't have another of my rod in stock and for the first 60 days it falls under BPS warranty not shimano, so I have some time to figure it out.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:lol:

If you like something else I'm sure BPS will let you swap. Like I said I've broken 2 crucials about 8-12" from the tip within a month of using them. My current replacement has been good for over a year and caught hundreds of solid fish. Being extremely thin in tip yet with a strong butt I'm sure it will someday break and I'll have to exchange it. Got another decent (23") snook last night on the flats and lost another.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

:lol:

If you like something else I'm sure BPS will let you swap. Like I said I've broken 2 crucials about 8-12" from the tip within a month of using them. My current replacement has been good for over a year and caught hundreds of solid fish. Being extremely thin in tip yet with a strong butt I'm sure it will someday break and I'll have to exchange it. Got another decent (23") snook last night on the flats and lost another.

It was the first time I put a good load on the rod so I am thinking it was maybe a manufacturing thing. BPS said they will exchange it for whatever I want but now I cant figure out if I want to go with the delicate tip the annoying grip and the good warranty, or something less delicate with a grip I like and a not so great warranty. Getting a new rod is nice, esp when its a newer model than the one it replaces. But breaking a rod early in a fishing day is absolutely infuriating. My buddy and I only brought one rod each so I sat and watched him catch fish for a while.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 16, 2014

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I've been using a pretty nice Fenwick and St. Croix for 2 and three years and I haven't had a problem with either.

Though, I won't lie, this year has kind of sucked so far for fishing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Some followup on the satellite scouting report from last month (linked here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480910&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post428288244)

Finally was able to fish there today, and not shocking for a wetland, it's full of vegetation. Had to do a modified carolina rig with a floating jig to keep my bait from getting hung up on the bottom, which definitely took away some of the sensitivity.

There's a shitload of bluegills in there, and I managed to catch a couple hand-sized ones.

I worked my way back with a bone zara puppy and it got a lot of bites from stuff to little to actually eat the thing.

So since there are tons of bluegills, there's gotta be oxygen in the water, right? And if there's tons of bluegills and oxygen, there's big fish that eat bluegills, right?

Even though I didn't get anything big, I got to spend the morning out in the woods fishing. I saw my first ever mink, and got to watch a bald eagle (who I've seen back there before), nab a fish out of the water.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Went to bass pro and spent a LONNG time examining every rod between 150 and 250. The Gloom was the best all around package by far. The guides arent that great, its not that light, but it was the nicest rod of all the ones I used. The shimano crucial was a close second, but the handle sucks as much as the tip is great. The warranty almost made me buy it, but I couldnt get away from the GL2 and its amazing handle.

Took the new rig out this morning with my pops for another test run and didnt break it despite fighting the biggest bass ive caught in a while. Thought it was a gator at first because it fought so hard.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Went to bass pro and spent a LONNG time examining every rod between 150 and 250. The Gloom was the best all around package by far. The guides arent that great, its not that light, but it was the nicest rod of all the ones I used. The shimano crucial was a close second, but the handle sucks as much as the tip is great. The warranty almost made me buy it, but I couldnt get away from the GL2 and its amazing handle.

Took the new rig out this morning with my pops for another test run and didnt break it despite fighting the biggest bass ive caught in a while. Thought it was a gator at first because it fought so hard.

Awesome! Cool to see ya out there with pops just having a great time. My dad taught me to fish and loves it, but he's 2 hours away and we've only fished once together in past four years. It was a crap windy day with a blown out tide and we didn't even see a fish.

I'd love to have a picture of my dad or I holding a big fish with the other in the frame as well....hell might as well both be holding a fish :D. But drat, you're doing it right IM FROM THE FUTURE.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a beginner kit online someone could recommend? My price point is $50. I've been fishing all once in my life (when I was four) so I have zero clue about quality. I want something that can be used for a while, that isn't going to break after a season. I live right on Lake Erie and love the outdoors and fish, but never really knew anybody who fished as a kid. Needed something to do this summer and well, why not?

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
Been crushing pike up here the past couple weekends on the fly, first time fishing for them this way.

Got my biggest yet today. Not very long but nice and fat. They were really into this little chartreuse number I put together that was basically a chart rabbit strip, some firetiger flashabou and a black laser dub head all tied on the first 3rd of a bass bug hook.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Is there a beginner kit online someone could recommend? My price point is $50. I've been fishing all once in my life (when I was four) so I have zero clue about quality. I want something that can be used for a while, that isn't going to break after a season. I live right on Lake Erie and love the outdoors and fish, but never really knew anybody who fished as a kid. Needed something to do this summer and well, why not?

Are you just looking to throw a bobber and a worm into a pond or do you want a slight learning curve? Are you planning on fishing in rivers? Ponds? Inland lakes? Lake Erie?

Where on lake erie are you? If you're in NE Ohio I can recommend some stores.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Are you just looking to throw a bobber and a worm into a pond or do you want a slight learning curve? Are you planning on fishing in rivers? Ponds? Inland lakes? Lake Erie?

Where on lake erie are you? If you're in NE Ohio I can recommend some stores.

A slight learning curve is alright. Probably mostly rivers and the lake. Unfortunately I'm in NW Ohio, West of Cleveland.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A slight learning curve is alright. Probably mostly rivers and the lake. Unfortunately I'm in NW Ohio, West of Cleveland.

Well, the good news there is that there's a Bass Pro Shop in Toledo, so you can go there and spend a couple hours playing around with stuff.

If you're looking at $50 for a rod/reel, there's a lot of great combo choices in there. Others may disagree, but since you're just starting out, a spinning reel with a 6'-7' medium action pole should be just fine. None of them are pro quality, but bass pro shops has a ton of their house brand combos in the $40-50 range that are all pretty decent.

If you don't want to go to basspro, the average wal mart is actually a surprisingly good source of fishing equipment, again with a bunch of decent combos in the $30-50 range. Shakespeare (ugly stick) and quantum both make decent entry-level stuff that's available at walmart.

One of the best ways to tell if a spinning reel is halfway decent is to reel it in a bit and then reverse it. All but the lowest rung reels will stop immediately (provided you have the anti-reverse on). Crappy reels will have some play, sometimes, like 1/4 or a turn or more.

Then figure another $50 for some decent line ($10-15), some hooks $3 per 10, and get maybe 3-4 sizes: Tiny ones for catching bluegills in a pond, up to #1 for fishing in the lake. For the lake, you'll want to learn to set up a drop shot setup (sinker on the bottom, hook suspended above it). You'll also want some kind of a spoon (the blue and silver little cleo spoons work great around here), and a couple mepps spinners for rivers. And of course, some bobbers, because there's nothing wrong with suspending a worm or a minnow under a bobber.

If you're looking at $50 all in, that's going to limit your options. Honestly, instead of looking for a rock bottom spinning reel, I'd get a zebco spincast combo (They're entry level, but my daughter has one, and I'm pretty impressed with how good it is given the price). You can get those in the $40-50 range with a little bit of tackle with them.

Shakespeare also makes some species specific combos, which I've seen at Gander Mountain and I think wal mart, which are in the $50 range. I can't vouch for the quality, but again, if you only want to spend $50, getting a panfish combo wouldn't be a terrible idea. They're not glamorous, but yu can catch bluegill everywhere, and the setup translates to trout fishing in rivers relatively well.

Lastly, check out the Ohio DNR website for fishing maps. They have a decent amount of info for each body of water, including what fish are most abundant where:
Lakes: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/public-hunting-fishing-wildlife-viewing-areas/lake-and-reservoir-fishing-maps
Rivers: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/public-hunting-fishing-wildlife-viewing-areas/lake-and-reservoir-fishing-maps/river-and-stream-fishing-maps

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fps_bill posted:

Not to derail the current subject, but can anyone help me pick a new kayak seat.

Right now I have the crack of dawn apex which from what I've read isn't a bad seat. The problem is after a few hours my rear end is killin me, and balls start to go numb.

I had the same issue on my Outback until I upgraded to a self inflating seat, I can go all day now on that seat and it is extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend looking for a self-inflating seat that fits your brand kayak.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well, looks like I'm no longer moving to Alabama in August... I think the rod may stay in the closet for another year, because the east bay sucks for fishing:

* $50 license
* $5/day per-site fishing fee
* $5-10 parking fee at any fishing location
* One stream within an hour's drive, and you can't fish it.
* Lots of the lakes around here seem to have really steep banks which makes flycasting hard for a rookie
* Too many drat people wherever you go.

Maybe I'll just stick to practicing my casts in the football field down the street, it's just too depressing to shell out $15 every time I want to put a line in the water.

Hopefully we'll be moving to another state next fall, ideally one with better nearby fishing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I bought some tackle today and wanted to mess with it. It was too late to drive anywhere so I walked down to the farm pond. When I first got the fishing bug a month ago I tried the pond a few times but didn't have any luck so I didn't expect much.

First cast I caught a small bluegill with in seconds. Over the course of an hour I caught maybe 4-5 hand sized ones and a ton of tiny ones, one of which might be my new "small fish" record.

I am so loving pumped that I can walk 5 min and fish now! I only brought a small pouch of tackle with me, I cannot wait to go back with gear to cast further out.

I also saw a pretty big snapper and literally thousands of huge tadpoles. At work tomorrow I am going to look into what it takes to have a private pond stocked. I assume that the plentiful bluegills and poles mean there is enough O2 in the water to support bass.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
One bit of advice I will add is that if you buy a cheap combo rod/reel, make sure you replace the line on the reel(if it comes with any). It will only cost you a few bucks for a spool of decent monofilament, and most sporting goods stores should be able to spool it up for you at no charge.

The line that comes on those cheap combo rod/reels is normally just terrible. You will think that fishing is a lot harder than it actually is when your line gets tangled constantly. The line on those spool will have TONS of memory(it will keep the shape it is in when it's on the spool, i.e.: really heavily coiled.), which will make casting more difficult and just lead to many headaches.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
How much does the metallic shine of a spoon lure matter? A while ago i inherited a tackle box from my grandmother, with several potentially useful spoon lures and spinnerbaits, for which i intend to use for pike-fishing. Thing is, they were pretty rusty, i cleaned off the rust as well as i could. I got the rust and verdigris away, and except for a few irremovable dark spots on the copper lures, they're free rustfree and completely verdigris-free.

But the problem is, the metal is dull, doesn't reflect as well as a new lure. Is there anyway to make them shiny again? Or can they still attract pikes as they are? The sight depth at the lake i fish at is around 3,6 meters on average, if that helps.

edit: the black copper spots could potentialy be removed, but i've scrubbed as hard as i can with vinegar and salt and they won't budge. And the clean metal just isn't that shiny.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 21, 2014

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Depends on the species, but motion+flashing is more likely to set off a predatory response than just motion. Try getting some cheap polishing rouges from Harbor Freight or some very fine emery cloth and buff the poo poo out of the metal to get the shine back. You can try using the extra-hard pot scrubbies that can polish aluminum or a mild Brillo pad too.

Pencil erasers work great for getting mild tarnish off of copper and shining it up, but they work best on lighter tarnish rather than deep corrosion spots or layers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, any metal can be made to shine with the right polish or abrasive.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Well, the good news there is that there's a Bass Pro Shop in Toledo, so you can go there and spend a couple hours playing around with stuff.

If you're looking at $50 for a rod/reel, there's a lot of great combo choices in there. Others may disagree, but since you're just starting out, a spinning reel with a 6'-7' medium action pole should be just fine. None of them are pro quality, but bass pro shops has a ton of their house brand combos in the $40-50 range that are all pretty decent.

If you don't want to go to basspro, the average wal mart is actually a surprisingly good source of fishing equipment, again with a bunch of decent combos in the $30-50 range. Shakespeare (ugly stick) and quantum both make decent entry-level stuff that's available at walmart.

One of the best ways to tell if a spinning reel is halfway decent is to reel it in a bit and then reverse it. All but the lowest rung reels will stop immediately (provided you have the anti-reverse on). Crappy reels will have some play, sometimes, like 1/4 or a turn or more.

Then figure another $50 for some decent line ($10-15), some hooks $3 per 10, and get maybe 3-4 sizes: Tiny ones for catching bluegills in a pond, up to #1 for fishing in the lake. For the lake, you'll want to learn to set up a drop shot setup (sinker on the bottom, hook suspended above it). You'll also want some kind of a spoon (the blue and silver little cleo spoons work great around here), and a couple mepps spinners for rivers. And of course, some bobbers, because there's nothing wrong with suspending a worm or a minnow under a bobber.

If you're looking at $50 all in, that's going to limit your options. Honestly, instead of looking for a rock bottom spinning reel, I'd get a zebco spincast combo (They're entry level, but my daughter has one, and I'm pretty impressed with how good it is given the price). You can get those in the $40-50 range with a little bit of tackle with them.

Shakespeare also makes some species specific combos, which I've seen at Gander Mountain and I think wal mart, which are in the $50 range. I can't vouch for the quality, but again, if you only want to spend $50, getting a panfish combo wouldn't be a terrible idea. They're not glamorous, but yu can catch bluegill everywhere, and the setup translates to trout fishing in rivers relatively well.

Lastly, check out the Ohio DNR website for fishing maps. They have a decent amount of info for each body of water, including what fish are most abundant where:
Lakes: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/public-hunting-fishing-wildlife-viewing-areas/lake-and-reservoir-fishing-maps
Rivers: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/public-hunting-fishing-wildlife-viewing-areas/lake-and-reservoir-fishing-maps/river-and-stream-fishing-maps

Thanks for this! I chose an Ugly Stik that came with some cheap tackle. I didn't invest in any new line yet. Gonna see how the pre-spooled stuff does beforehand. Lo and behold, my dad had kept all his old tackle hidden in the garage. Most of it is 20 to 30 years old and is mostly still useable! I sorted through it today and cleaned every thing up, only a few lures had hooks that were just too rusty to use anymore. He mostly has stuff for walleye fishing, but also has a little bit of everything else. Not a bad start.

Gonna head down to the pier tomorrow and see if I can catch my first fish. :3:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for this! I chose an Ugly Stik that came with some cheap tackle. I didn't invest in any new line yet.
You may get lucky, but if you end up with a rat's nest when you try to cast, don't blame yourself or the reel. The pre-spooled stuff is usually pretty horrid and will never be straight. I didn't listen a year ago and tried to use some stuff that came with the reel and it was a disaster.

This is the truth:

DoctaFun posted:

One bit of advice I will add is that if you buy a cheap combo rod/reel, make sure you replace the line on the reel(if it comes with any). It will only cost you a few bucks for a spool of decent monofilament, and most sporting goods stores should be able to spool it up for you at no charge.

The line that comes on those cheap combo rod/reels is normally just terrible. You will think that fishing is a lot harder than it actually is when your line gets tangled constantly. The line on those spool will have TONS of memory(it will keep the shape it is in when it's on the spool, i.e.: really heavily coiled.), which will make casting more difficult and just lead to many headaches.

Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything in Lake Erie. Lots of places with good access are also pretty terrible for fishing, and are basically a desert underwater. You may want to stop at a bait shop and get some minnows, or if you're feeling fancy, Emerald Shiners, which work like magic on my end (middle?) of the lake.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

stealie72 posted:

You may get lucky, but if you end up with a rat's nest when you try to cast, don't blame yourself or the reel. The pre-spooled stuff is usually pretty horrid and will never be straight. I didn't listen a year ago and tried to use some stuff that came with the reel and it was a disaster.

This is the truth:

Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything in Lake Erie. Lots of places with good access are also pretty terrible for fishing, and are basically a desert underwater. You may want to stop at a bait shop and get some minnows, or if you're feeling fancy, Emerald Shiners, which work like magic on my end (middle?) of the lake.

I felt like I'd just give it a shot. It didn't seem too terrible when I threw a bobber and a weight on it earlier. If it doesn't work out, can I take the reel with me to Dick's or where ever and have them replace it for me? I'm afraid I'd just gently caress it up and my dad honestly hasn't done it in close to 30 years.

There is actually a bait shop right on the pier that's literally about two blocks away. I'll see what they got. If worst comes to worst and it's dead out there, the pier is actually a good bird watching spot. Bunches of baby killdeer running around and being adorable.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Kilersquirrel posted:

Depends on the species, but motion+flashing is more likely to set off a predatory response than just motion. Try getting some cheap polishing rouges from Harbor Freight or some very fine emery cloth and buff the poo poo out of the metal to get the shine back. You can try using the extra-hard pot scrubbies that can polish aluminum or a mild Brillo pad too.

Pencil erasers work great for getting mild tarnish off of copper and shining it up, but they work best on lighter tarnish rather than deep corrosion spots or layers.

Thanks for the advice, i should mention that i'm in Europe and not the US, so some of the product names are new to me. I can get a hold of emery cloths, that sounds like just the thing.

I tried something today. From the local supermarket, instead of vinegar i bought a bottle of 24% acetic acid, and also steel wool (which i think Brillo pads are), and it worked really well for dissolving rust from the hooks and removing the dark oxidation of the copper lures. Most of the copper turned pink again, and now i chucked the lures in the dishwasher, figuring maybe because dish powder is abravise it might buffen them up a bit after an acid wash.

A few where chromated, and got some yellow discoloring from disappearing chrome finish, i don't think there's anything i can do about that.

Lets see if they get their shine back, otherwise, i guess i'll need to buffen them up them with emery cloth or something.

It would be great if the lures got back to shape, as i have very few of my own, and some of them got lost at the bottom of the lake during the last couple of years due to rookie mistakes and lots of underwater reed. So it could save me tens of dollars worth of lures. And luckily, several of them are reed lures, which is perfect as the lake i fish at has tons of reed and that's often where pikes around here like to hang around and stalk prey. Well, the medium sized ones fit for consumption anyway, the really big ones prefer to cruise the deeper parts of the lake. Which is ideal, i'm not out to set a personal record, half the fun is bringing home a delicious fish meal and the satisfaction of eating something you've caught on your own.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 22, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, looks like I'm no longer moving to Alabama in August... I think the rod may stay in the closet for another year, because the east bay sucks for fishing:

* $5/day per-site fishing fee
* $5-10 parking fee at any fishing location
You should be able to get an annual pass for the cost of a few days' worth of day-use passes. State, national forest, or local county.

bunnielab posted:

I bought some tackle today and wanted to mess with it. It was too late to drive anywhere so I walked down to the farm pond. When I first got the fishing bug a month ago I tried the pond a few times but didn't have any luck so I didn't expect much.

First cast I caught a small bluegill with in seconds. Over the course of an hour I caught maybe 4-5 hand sized ones and a ton of tiny ones, one of which might be my new "small fish" record.

I am so loving pumped that I can walk 5 min and fish now! I only brought a small pouch of tackle with me, I cannot wait to go back with gear to cast further out.

I also saw a pretty big snapper and literally thousands of huge tadpoles. At work tomorrow I am going to look into what it takes to have a private pond stocked. I assume that the plentiful bluegills and poles mean there is enough O2 in the water to support bass.
As a kid, my friends and I put a handful of largemouth into a 5 gallon bucket and walked home where we dumped them into the freshly-dug 5 acre pond in my folks' back field. Within a year all the frogs were gone, replaced with enormous bass. My personal record was a 6 pounder, although there were way bigger fish in there after a few years - they were just way too canny to bite anything and would just cruise by the lure/bait and shoot me a pitying look.

You should first look into your local laws on transporting/stocking fish, though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 22, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Oh yea, stocking like that is illegal but ever so tempting. Even more so because the creek the pond spills into ends in a wetland so any stocked fish cant escape.

So today I went to this little park by my house after work. The large pond there has a little spillway that feeds a creek. Either the weather or dnr breached the logjam at the spillway sometime this morning and the lake was draining like crazy. It was like 4-5" lower then it was yesterday. Needless to say, the fishing at the spillway mouth was insane, I could see maybe a hundred bluegill feeding and a few small largemouth. The bg would bite on almost anything, but I couldn't get the bass to hit at all. I ended up using a 1" bit of fake bloodworm on a medium circle hook cast out as far as I could right in front of the spillway and lightly reeling it in, the current would keep it off the bottom and I caught a fish almost every time.

I did end up with two swallowed hooks before I sized up, I though circle hooks were supposed to prevent that?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

I felt like I'd just give it a shot. It didn't seem too terrible when I threw a bobber and a weight on it earlier. If it doesn't work out, can I take the reel with me to Dick's or where ever and have them replace it for me? I'm afraid I'd just gently caress it up and my dad honestly hasn't done it in close to 30 years.

There is actually a bait shop right on the pier that's literally about two blocks away. I'll see what they got. If worst comes to worst and it's dead out there, the pier is actually a good bird watching spot. Bunches of baby killdeer running around and being adorable.

Just don't say I didn't warn you :). Seriously though, you can get a 100 yard spool of Stren 6 or 8lb. test for like $3. Just about any bait shop/tackle shop worth a drat should spool it for free if you buy it from them, it takes them all of like two minutes.

If you are going to be fishing though it's a great thing to learn, and not too difficult! I re-spool all my ultra-light reels at least once a year as the smaller spool size really gets full of 'memory' pretty quick.

bunnielab posted:

Oh yea, stocking like that is illegal but ever so tempting. Even more so because the creek the pond spills into ends in a wetland so any stocked fish cant escape.

So today I went to this little park by my house after work. The large pond there has a little spillway that feeds a creek. Either the weather or dnr breached the logjam at the spillway sometime this morning and the lake was draining like crazy. It was like 4-5" lower then it was yesterday. Needless to say, the fishing at the spillway mouth was insane, I could see maybe a hundred bluegill feeding and a few small largemouth. The bg would bite on almost anything, but I couldn't get the bass to hit at all. I ended up using a 1" bit of fake bloodworm on a medium circle hook cast out as far as I could right in front of the spillway and lightly reeling it in, the current would keep it off the bottom and I caught a fish almost every time.

I did end up with two swallowed hooks before I sized up, I though circle hooks were supposed to prevent that?

I think in general they are better for not getting swallowed, but I don't think anything is swallow proof. I think if you wait long enough to set the hook(or in the case of a circle hook, reel up all the slack and apply pressure), a fish can swallow it.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Braid is the best for freshwater. Down with mono. There I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Just caught a nice sized bluegill on a gummy bear. This changes everything. I see texas rigged gummy worms in my future.