Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Don Gato posted:

Didn't something like that happen to every troper goons thought was a good one?

Nah there were a few who never went crazy.

They're pretty much all gone from TvTropes now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Didn't something like that happen to every troper goons thought was a good one?

Annebeeche seemed to come out okay. I haven't heard from her since her "Ye olde english translator" thread but I think she didn't melt down like Dionysus.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nah there were a few who never went crazy.

They're pretty much all gone from TvTropes now, though.

I'm pretty sure they migrated to SA, and may indeed be in this very thread right now. I remember the 14 year-old thumbface mcpedo was harassing as biased came over here anyway.

~Memories~ :allears:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Either way they're not allowed to talk about their troper experiences, as per the rules. Shame, it was kind of fun hearing TvTropes implode like a failing government firsthand.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I'm disappointed The Nunnery was nuked because I got some prime mock material from that thread and was hoping to cull some more from it in the future. Granted, said material was pedophilic in nature but it's TV Tropes, what do you expect?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm disappointed The Nunnery was nuked because I got some prime mock material from that thread and was hoping to cull some more from it in the future. Granted, said material was pedophilic in nature but it's TV Tropes, what do you expect?

My favorite was that Australian virgin who was like the guy who posted the most in that thread and talked about how he'd be a great lover if only he'd actually bone a lady.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Swan Oat posted:

The worst thing about the fetish thread was that so many, like, 14 and 15 year olds were posting about sex stuff and interacting with actual adults.

At one point, there was a lengthy, popular public cybering thread. It had a similar problem.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Little Blackfly posted:

I'm pretty sure they migrated to SA, and may indeed be in this very thread right now. I remember the 14 year-old thumbface mcpedo was harassing as biased came over here anyway.

~Memories~ :allears:

The thing about former TVTropers coming over to SA is how some tropers take it as a massive betrayal, and not, you know, just going to another forum.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

WickedHate posted:

The thing about former TVTropers coming over to SA is how some tropers take it as a massive betrayal, and not, you know, just going to another forum.

FastEddie included.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

LaughMyselfTo posted:

At one point, there was a lengthy, popular public cybering thread. It had a similar problem.

I'm not sure which was creepier, the popular public actual-cybering thread or the popular public "asexual cuddlepile".

WickedHate posted:

Fast Eddie personally banned one of their P5 for being an "SA Traitor" after he posted here like twice. The sonic-obsessed furry on the P5 didn't get banned.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LaughMyselfTo posted:

FastEddie included.

Particularly Fast Eddie. No one else seems to care that much unless it's an *internet celebrity* saying bad things about TvTropes.

Also TvTropes mod Morven was allowed to post both here or on TvTropes without getting banned from either place. She was really, really, good at avoiding drama though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TvTropes posted:

Played for laughs in the Woody Woodpecker cartoon A Fine Feathered Frenzy. Gorgeous Gal, an overweight and elderly crow wanted to marry Woody Woodpecker the second she laid eyes on him. The wealthy widow loved young woodpeckers so whenever the opportunity presented itself she grabbed him and lavished him with kisses or tried to seduce him. At one point she gets glamed up really nice with a red dress, pearls and a slightly better wig. When Woody spots her he smiles so he may have taken an interest in this new look. Sitting in a chair she offers the Woodpecker with her sexy voice, "Cheescake?" She hikes up her skirt and reveals her crossed legs. She is wearing black panty house with black heels to match, but her legs are as skinny as toothpicks! With crossed eyes and a toothy grin the confused and horrified Woodpecker hops away.

Also used for comedy in the Woody Woodpecker short "Witch Crafty." An elderly red haired witch hikes up her skirt to reveal her left leg that is quite shapely, to the effect that it causes a member of the audience to whistle. Later on she reveals her right leg which is really lumpy and disgusting.

Also here is the revelation that someone out there is sexually obsessed with Woody Woodpecker cartoons. There's probably some perverts who mourn the decreasing popularity of Tijuana Bibles

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't there a Troper who migrated over here once and then started defending his actions on the site? I think he was the reason that the "shut up about being a troper" rule was instituted, since he kept derailing the conversation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wasn't there a Troper who migrated over here once and then started defending his actions on the site? I think he was the reason that the "shut up about being a troper" rule was instituted, since he kept derailing the conversation.

A few people did that, I think. A few others turned out to be jackasses who simply happened to have ended up hating TvTropes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Arcsquad12 posted:

Early in the second thread there was a troper called Daionius or something like that who kept making long posts reminiscing about boring roleplays he did on TvTropes. The stuff he was talking about wasn't even especially creepy IIRC (that was back when the threads were more about tropertales and less about rape), but he was really obsessed with it and didn't take the hint even when he was told to gently caress off. I think he's where that rule came from.

I think another came over later to defend their creepy stuff and post their godawful writing in CC.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think another came over later to defend their creepy stuff and post their godawful writing in CC.

Was that the "favorite joint" guy?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Early in the second thread there was a troper called Daionius or something like that who kept making long posts reminiscing about boring roleplays he did on TvTropes. The stuff he was talking about wasn't even especially creepy IIRC (that was back when the threads were more about tropertales and less about rape), but he was really obsessed with it and didn't take the hint even when he was told to gently caress off. I think he's where that rule came from.

Was it Dreigonix, by any chance? Because he just got banned due to severe mental issues manifesting during a roleplaying session (translation - he threatened suicide when the others wanted to kick him out of the game). I'd link, but it's more sad and pathetic than ha-ha funny.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Didn't some guy sign up to defend his weird Touhou (or maybe Madoka - some franchise that has underage girls who fly and stuff) rape fanfic or something in like the third thread? I think he posted at least one excerpt, too, and I vaguely remember it having something about a dragon, before he got banned?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zerilan posted:

Was that the "favorite joint" guy?

Might have been? Archives are down unfortunately.

Darth Walrus posted:

Was it Dreigonix, by any chance?

Don't think so, I don't know his TvTropes name but on SA it was "Daionius the 23rd", I might be off by a vowel but not more than that. I don't know of him having any particular mental health issues, he mostly came across as a sad pathetic high school kid reminiscing too much about being a sad pathetic middle school kid.

Hammurabi posted:

Didn't some guy sign up to defend his weird Touhou (or maybe Madoka - some franchise that has underage girls who fly and stuff) rape fanfic or something in like the third thread? I think he posted at least one excerpt, too, and I vaguely remember it having something about a dragon, before he got banned?

This also happened, now that I think about it there were a handful of cases like that. Pretty sure Draven visited too.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

This was the same guy who had a mental breakdown and made an E/N thread about wanting to destroy the world. I would look it up if archives weren't down, but it was an amazing thread.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pretty sure Draven visited too.

Draven never got an SA account, they just talked to people by making posts on tumblr in response to what people were saying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much everyone mentioned so far - possibly including Draven and Colonel McBadass - pales to Chagen46.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Chagen was just super enthusiastic about a gross fetish and Draven is mentally ill. As far as TVTropes scumlords go you can't top McBadass.

Build Your Own Boat
Sep 11, 2006

Drink this

Now you're like me.

WickedHate posted:

Chagen was just super enthusiastic about a gross fetish and Draven is mentally ill. As far as TVTropes scumlords go you can't top McBadass.

"That's loving bias."

Seriously though, wasn't Chagen an open pedophile that was so loving creepy that FastEddie personally banned him?

I can't find the quote, but I think he was to troper who said something about watching little girls on a playground and worrying that he couldn't control himself.

:cry:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Holy gently caress I don't remember that. I just recall watching a This Troper where Chagan goes on and on about his ABDL fantasies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He had an ED page, which obviously no longer exists. However, this is the third result on Google when you search "Chagen46": it's NSFW, seriously.

Chagen46 posted:

Yeah, I am annoyed at how anti-loli and prudish they've become, but the site's mostly okay still. I still can get lost for hours in there.

He had a bunch of noteworthy episodes on the TV Tropes forum and off it. He once started a thread complaining about the Death of the Author, how it meant he would never publish his work, and how he hated the idea of people interpreting what he'd written in a manner that diverged from his intentions (even though all he'd written, as far as I'm aware, was Fate/Stay Night fanfiction); this was followed by another thread where he insisted that nothing he had ever written had a theme, because he hates the idea that fiction has to have themes, even though everyone else in the thread told him this was a load of codswallop; finally, he was banned, and went to one of the off-shoot communities and complained that TV Tropes was his whole life and being banned was so distressing he was going to kill himself.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

That was Jabrosky. :allears:

Oh jeez, put "jabrosky" into a Google image search and magic happens.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 23, 2014

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That was Jabrosky. :allears:

Oh jeez, put "jabrosky" into a Google image search and magic happens.

I think I vaguely remember seeing some thread by him in the comedy gas chamber once. It was some lovely excerpt from some really awful Conan-ripoff type thing and it was kind of racist and he kept going on about how hot Not!Conan's black wife was because she was black, and it was really poorly-written and all the dialogue sounded incredibly childish like it was written by a six year-old or something. I remember it very clearly because there was the word "poo-poo skin" used near the end, as like a serious thing, and I distinctly remember thinking "holy poo poo that is the dumbest thing I've ever read".

Did he get banned? I hope so.

EDIT: I think the story was called the Barbarian Emperor or something really generically Conan-ripoff like that.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 24, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fast Eddie personally banned one of their P5 for being an "SA Traitor" after he posted here like twice. The sonic-obsessed furry on the P5 didn't get banned.

Triple Elation's couple of posts were basically P5 stuff, also I think he may have been the troper who schooled Major Tom on why swords are useless against guns and owned him by virtue of having actual military experience.

When Fast Eddie saw that triple elation had posted P5 stuff he unpersoned him for giving away P5 secrets even though P5 discussion was publically viewable so that people would think they were being fair.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 24, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Metal Loaf posted:

everyone else in the thread told him this was a load of codswallop

The idea of anyone on TVTropes posting something intentionally discouraging to another is the most unbelievable thing in this whole thread

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sweeperbravo posted:

The idea of anyone on TVTropes posting something intentionally discouraging to another is the most unbelievable thing in this whole thread

You have no idea how annoying Chagen was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Namtab posted:

Triple Elation's couple of posts were basically P5 stuff, also I think he may have been the troper who schooled Major Tom on why swords are useless against guns and owned him by virtue of having actual military experience.

When Fast Eddie saw that triple elation had posted P5 stuff he unpersoned him for giving away P5 secrets even though P5 discussion was publically viewable so that people would think they were being fair.

I thought that Martello was the army guy, and Triple Elation just had common sense.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You have no idea how annoying Chagen was.

Which is saying more, that he was so bad TVTropes yelled at him, or TVTropes is so bad you have to be THAT annoying for someone there to yell at you?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I thought Chagen was only banned because he posted sexual fanfiction in the Touhou thread despite previously being warned not to.

(I want to say it was pedophile fanfiction but I honestly know nothing about Touhou so I don't know if pedo could be an accurate description of sexy fan media about it)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Don't think so, I don't know his TvTropes name but on SA it was "Daionius the 23rd", I might be off by a vowel but not more than that. I don't know of him having any particular mental health issues, he mostly came across as a sad pathetic high school kid reminiscing too much about being a sad pathetic middle school kid.

Daionius went on to confront his mental illness by completing an e/n mod challenge, and then fall off the deep end again and (I think) get banned.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

BKPR posted:

Daionius went on to confront his mental illness by completing an e/n mod challenge, and then fall off the deep end again and (I think) get banned.

So, he was basically Troper Rocky Balboa?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Swan Oat posted:

I thought Chagen was only banned because he posted sexual fanfiction in the Touhou thread despite previously being warned not to.

(I want to say it was pedophile fanfiction but I honestly know nothing about Touhou so I don't know if pedo could be an accurate description of sexy fan media about it)

Touhou's such a huge, open-source canon with so many characters and such a magical timeline that there's basically every kind of media about it. There's an entire version of the cast as nothing but their heads- like, with their hair as limbs. That one is considered hosed up even by anime fan standards.

how do I know this what the gently caress am I doing with my life

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
On the subject of things other than mental illness and terrible fetishes, there's a page called Stereotype Flip, which is supposed to be when media has a scary-looking black person be nice or a Chinese person be a cowboy or something. We're headed good places.

I like this one because it's just baffling.

quote:

8 Mile plays up the human equivalent of Seldom Seen Species, as it documents the lifestyle of an American socioeconomic group that, like Native Americans, has not been commonly seen in the popular media for decades: poor, urban whites (who are living in Detroit, the stereotypically blackest city in America, no less!). Many stories take it for granted that characters like Jimmy "Rabbit," Stephanie, and Lily haven't existed since the 1940s - and even when they do, they tend to assume that those people are "white ethnics," instead of the British-descended Protestants the Smith family clearly are.

Why don't movies ever talk about white people?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Somfin posted:

Touhou's such a huge, open-source canon with so many characters and such a magical timeline that there's basically every kind of media about it. There's an entire version of the cast as nothing but their heads- like, with their hair as limbs. That one is considered hosed up even by anime fan standards.

how do I know this what the gently caress am I doing with my life

Yukkuris own.

Swan Oat posted:

Depends on the character tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Somfin posted:

It started as a bullet hell video game, right? Or was there something else that preceded that?

• Locked thread