Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Crossposted because although it was relevant to the discussion, it's certainly not terrible car stuff:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4473891597.html

Is it wrong that I've wanted to swap a Coyote and a six-speed into one of these for a while now? I'll find the widest white walls I can find and keep the wire hubcaps, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Coredump posted:

WTF how are you guys getting that cheap? How cheap could you get the aluminum block versions?

Exactly what Tommychu said. Fleet vehicles get the body/suspension beat up pretty fast, but the drivetrains last forever unless it was some idiot not maintaining it. Buy the $50 warranty just in case.

My local pull a parts charge by what it is (V8 with all the accessories, harness, computer, etc? With my informal frequent-flier discount, that's $316 out the door including tax! Thanks!) not what the donor vehicle was or anything else. And since I'm always in there and usually spend a decent amount and don't give them bullshit about their prices or waste their time, they give me discounts and free parts they don't feel like ringing up pretty regularly. I've walked out with a whole axle for $100 before because it didn't have the stock tinfoil-thick rotted out diff cover on it, the normal price is $130. Didn't even ask, and was expecting to pay $130, they just knocked 30 bucks off without me saying a word.

So if they ever get a modernish corvette, yeah I could pick up an LS1 complete for $316. Little chance of that though, the truly valuable stuff typically goes into their car-part.com affiliated lot across the street, which is non self service.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

animeliker posted:

If it's good then I'd go for it. I personally have never seen a LHD Z32 with a hardtop roof, only RHD.

Yeah I think as long as the frame's straight I'm probably gonna buy it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

atomicthumbs posted:

Here's an idea that's probably not quite as bad as the $5000 S600, but still bad nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

The first 400+HP car I rode in was one of these that was decked out. Wanted one ever since, but holy hell do those engine bays looked cramped.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4479414560.html

Where are the $500 trucks that just need a wash and a new vacuum line?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I search for "cherokee -grand" all the time to find just XJ parts, although I still get idiots that post their Grand Cherokees and Grand Cherokee parts as base Cherokee.

That last time I did any serious gotta-filter-out-the-crap Craigslist searching was 2011, just in case anyone was wondering what I was thinking.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I think I like this car. Too bad I'm not back in Tucson yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Dr.Caligari posted:

The first 400+HP car I rode in was one of these that was decked out. Wanted one ever since, but holy hell do those engine bays looked cramped.

In the late 90's and early 2000's when these were passing into the hands of high school students, you would pretty regularly see them for sale half-torn apart. The amount of effort to replace a turbo/upgrade/etc would put these kids in over their head pretty fast. They couldn't put them back together and would have to sell them as-is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah I think as long as the frame's straight I'm probably gonna buy it.

Well, I guess I was wrong about that. It turned out to have substantially more issues than I was willing to deal with. Major oil leaks on the engine, major power steering pump leak, coolant thermometer leak, clutch fluid was nasty, and the owner's only had it for three months and has zero documentation on whether the timing belt actually got done when the previous owner said it had.

I'm glad I had the sense to walk away but I'm still disappointed. :sigh:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

In the late 90's and early 2000's when these were passing into the hands of high school students, you would pretty regularly see them for sale half-torn apart. The amount of effort to replace a turbo/upgrade/etc would put these kids in over their head pretty fast. They couldn't put them back together and would have to sell them as-is.

I'm impressed they could afford them at that time. Perhaps it's my generation (Im in my 20s now)and its aversion to working at an earlier age but in high school the "car people" drove beat to poo poo 240sxs, Integras, Civics and Preludes(including me).There were 3 Z31s at one point though; cool cars and underrated. 1 guy had an awesome white NSX, another had a Turbo FC RX7, but it was lovely economy cars for the most part.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

animeliker posted:

I'm impressed they could afford them at that time.

I went to a rich school. I think there were 6 or 7.
2 H1s, a couple of (then, brand new) C5s. Lots of BMWs

I drove a lovely economy station wagon and my 1941 Chevy.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/1985-bmw-318i/594792357

I know this isn't the greatest year for a 318, but does this car still have the potential to be turned into a fun daily driver? The colour is amazing and it is the cheapest car in my area that doesn't have giant rust holes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's going to be absolutely gutless and 84-85 318i's have drum rear brakes, they're pretty much the least desirable E30s extant. I mean $750 for a running car is pretty good but unless you plan on swapping pretty much everything out there's point of trying to make it a car to hoon around in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:whatup:

Land yacht ahoy

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1976-lincoln-continental-2-door-coupe/593772889?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Special Edition Divinci
Factory 460 4 BBl
69900 ORIGINAL Miles
Power Windows
Power Sunroof
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Power Antenna
AM FM Radio
Car is in great condition.
Only asking $2900 OBO

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Land yacht hell, that's a land battlecruiser.

I've always thought it would be fun to tool around in a car like that for a day. I'm not sure I'd want to own one though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
You've gotta be loving kidding me:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4475668148.html

quote:

* PLEASE READ ENTIRE AD BEFORE CONTACTING ME!*
I have for sale a 94 mr2 turbo
the 94 is very rare and I have owned for the past 5 years
180k on the original chassis t-top

Mod list (94 turbo):
2.3 Stroker
forged built blueprinted bottom end
90mm forged CP pistons
Eagle rods
clevite main and rod bearings
ARP main and rod bolts
HKS 268 cams w/ adjustable cam gears
HKS kevlar timing belt
greddy BOV
ACT stage 2 street/ strip clutch
Fidanza flywheel w/ extra disc
Cusco LSD
Stage 3 axels( 450+WHP)
remaned turbo brakes
Stoptec slotted rotors
SS brake lines
porterfield brake pads
TRD sway bar(front) ST(rear)
full polyurethane bushing kit
Berk Tech full 3' exhaust turbo back
CT26 turbo (NEW)
SS braided feed and return lines
K/N cone
Will also include all the extra parts I have collected over the years; multiple turbos, various hoses/lines ect

Interior:
original 94 tan black two tone
two sets of seats black/tan
auto meter phantom boost gauge

THIS CAR WAS ROLLED BUT NOT CLAIMED CLEAN TITLE!( see pictures)

I have decided to let go of my project,I was going keep this and continue working on it, but am moving and need it gone. I am in no hurry to sell and am not desperate for money this is a very rare car. Low ball offers will be ignored, I have close to 30k into the 94 and I am not interested in trading and simply would like to re coupe a fraction of what I have lost. The car currently runs and drives, I have replaced all damaged running gear and can be (lot Driven) the body work is what is left to fix. the t-tops didn't even brake
Towing available.

please text or email with any questions, if you call leave a message and I will return your call when I am available
$4000 obo
thanks
Matt

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 4475668148 posted: 5 days ago

$4000 for a wrecked MR2? Oh but it's technically a clean title because it didn't get claimed :buddy:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why does every Arizona craigslist ad say "passed emissions and plated/tagged until 2015"? The plates and tags stay with the person, not the car. That poo poo literally doesn't matter. Any sale and title transfer demands a new emissions test, anyway.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Knowing hardly anything about MR2s, what is the approximate value of all of those mods?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

travisray2004 posted:

Knowing hardly anything about MR2s, what is the approximate value of all of those mods?

If the engine is actually well built, I could see that being worth $4k depends on mileage and how it was taken care of though. I just love the "THIS IS A RARE CAR!!!" parts of the ad, along with "just need to do the body work". All that the car is good for is a motor swap into another one, preferably into a aw11 to make a mk1.5

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What can you guys tell me about old vans because I really want one

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd love to do a road trip around the US in that

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

Why does every Arizona craigslist ad say "passed emissions and plated/tagged until 2015"? The plates and tags stay with the person, not the car. That poo poo literally doesn't matter. Any sale and title transfer demands a new emissions test, anyway.

Same reason people say that poo poo is "inspected till 2015!!!!" in MA. Stupid people think it matters, and a previous owner's previously valid inspection sticker will keep you from getting an inspection ticket unless the cops are looking for someone to gently caress with and run your plate. Then it comes up in the database as not inspected.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If I was putting it in an ad the idea would be it passed inspection for me, should do it for you. Now you have a baseline to assume the condition of my shitheap.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coredump posted:

If I was putting it in an ad the idea would be it passed inspection for me, should do it for you. Now you have a baseline to assume the condition of my shitheap.

Then saying "inspected until 2015" is pointless, and instead they would say "recently passed inspection without issue," like I did in my Subaru ad.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

I'd love to do a road trip around the US in that

My god that would be so expensive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love that this is technically a coupe. It may be longer than a modern full-sized 4-door sedan, but it has two doors so it's a coupe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Leperflesh posted:

I love that this is technically a coupe. It may be longer than a modern full-sized 4-door sedan, but it has two doors so it's a coupe.

Coupé.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I think it might actually be longer than a modern full sized 4-row cargo van.

(not that I have a problem with that, mind you)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Confirmed, there is one of those always parked on the street that borders the campus, it takes up more road real-estate than the G30 box-van I drive. Seriously massive car, seriously cool looking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I got 12.4mpg with mine. that's only 240 gallons to drive from new york to los angeles. With only a 22.5 gallon tank, it's 11 fuel stops, if you squeeze every drop out of it every time.

kastein posted:

It's longer than a lwb ford transit. a little bit longer than a crew cab/short box f-150.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

I got 12.4mpg with mine. that's only 240 gallons to drive from new york to los angeles. With only a 22.5 gallon tank, it's 11 fuel stops, if you squeeze every drop out of it every time.

That works out to over $1000 at today's gas prices. Ye gods... My old Hyundai would have done it in less than $400.

I guess if you have a full car it could be less expensive than flying.

Edit: makes me reconsider checking out that '86 Crown Vic

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I also miss these extravagant chrome-laden '70s coupes with giant overhangs, pushing 20 feet long. They just exude FYGM excess and an utter indifference to efficiency and practicality.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BoostCreep posted:

But as long as the AC worked, worth it.

Fun fact: One of these was technically slidebites first car. I got it due to extenuating circumstances and it was rusted all to hell. Best memory of it was dad driving it (I didn't have a license yet) and he floored it and both sides of the dual exhaust broke hitting the pavement at 100+K creating a beautiful cascade of sparks and noise for the next 10 minutes on the way home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

That works out to over $1000 at today's gas prices. Ye gods... My old Hyundai would have done it in less than $400.

I guess if you have a full car it could be less expensive than flying.

Edit: makes me reconsider checking out that '86 Crown Vic

Once you consider lodging and meals, driving across the country is never really cheaper than flying. Well, I guess it can be cheaper if you camp out or sleep in the very worst motels or in your car, drive 18 hours a day, and eat like poo poo. E.g., if you travel like a long-haul trucker.

Much more entertaining, though.

Yeah I know but it's a pain in the rear end to remember how to make my dumb American keyboard make accented letters. Just consider the accent over the e to be implied.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Leperflesh posted:

Once you consider lodging and meals, driving across the country is never really cheaper than flying. Well, I guess it can be cheaper if you camp out or sleep in the very worst motels or in your car, drive 18 hours a day, and eat like poo poo. E.g., if you travel like a long-haul trucker.

Much more entertaining, though.

Yeah I know but it's a pain in the rear end to remember how to make my dumb American keyboard make accented letters. Just consider the accent over the e to be implied.

To be more specific, coupé dé brougham l'elegance De Ville

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Real gold? It ticks all the right boxes: old, Volvo, classic, overdrive, wagon/estate

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/05/22/1967-volvo-122s-estate/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pretty awesome.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/4475954191.html

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That is awesome. Those kind of Frankenstein cars blow my mind. This one for example, is it just a Cadillac shell and everything else from a Blazer? The steering and suspension has to feel ridiculous, right?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Why the gently caress do people post an ad, then leave town? Multiple times now I've called about a car only to hear, "Oh well we'll be back next Tuesday". Then put the loving ad up on Tuesday, you won't have to deal with assholes like me calling during your vacation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why the gently caress do people post an ad, then leave town? Multiple times now I've called about a car only to hear, "Oh well we'll be back next Tuesday". Then put the loving ad up on Tuesday, you won't have to deal with assholes like me calling during your vacation!

I was guilty of this while trying to sell a Jeep in Wisconsin after moving to Chicago. People would email to look at in the evening and I would have a canned response of only being available during the day on Saturday. And it was a huge pain in the rear end to drive 4 hours round trip to have some schmuck kick the tires and tell me he wouldn't have any cash for a week or two. My own bad planning I suppose.