Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was expecting him to wreck some demons, not the entire floating fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Haha that has to be one of the best over the top moments in fairy tail ever. I love it.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
The Spirit King doesn't gently caress about! That was a fantastic chapter, I look forward to the inevitable reforging of the key or whatever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What a shame he faces the semi-main antagonist, meaning he will likely job out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sindai posted:

I was expecting him to wreck some demons, not the entire floating fortress.

Yeah I thought he'd show up and just smash Jackal, and then the next page the entire loving whale explodes. Demon King is probably going to clown the Spirit King though, sadly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

What a shame he faces the semi-main antagonist, meaning he will likely job out.

Not in the sense of getting wrecked by him, but yeah he's going to job out so Natsu can win. It'll probably go down one of two ways: 1) spirit king mops the floor with Hades, but Lucy runs out of juice right as he's about to land the final blow and he desummons. Hades consumes the other demons except Minerva and regenerates. Then Natsu fights him. 2) Silver ices the spirit king and maybe also Hades to show that he's the real threat. Then Natsu fights him.

The chapter also begs the still unanswered question of how the gold keys work. There were only ever 12 of them, so they apparently can't be copied like the lesser keys can, but can they be remade? Does another one simply appear somewhere in the world when the previous one breaks? And if there are only 12 of the keys that are actually worth a drat, why would anyone even bother to become a celestial spirit mage?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

chumbler posted:

[...]And if there are only 12 of the keys that are actually worth a drat, why would anyone even bother to become a celestial spirit mage?

I don't know about the rest of that, but presumably not everyone becomes a mage to fight things.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I hope Lamy wasn't vaporized, she's fun. :ohdear:

chumbler posted:

Not in the sense of getting wrecked by him, but yeah he's going to job out so Natsu can win.

I dunno, this arc's main main-bad has yet to show up assuming E.N.D. is a unique individual we haven't seen. Natsu doesn't have to beat the #2 guy also. And I don't think this is an instance where someone else will deal with E.N.D., given his apparent connection to Zeref and Natsu.

I don't deny that he might end up jobbing though. Unless not showing the #2 guy until recently was supposed to diminish his importance in this arc. Since he hasn't been built up for that long, it would be less disappointing for him to go down against his first opponent. And if the Spirit King loses already, where does she go from here in terms of power upgrades? She already can't use this all the time unless it takes like a half hour to reforge those golden keys. Lucy running out of juice as you said seems like a convenient way around that for now.

KamikaziPie
Oct 21, 2008
Of all the spirits she has it had to be one of the most interesting ones.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Destroying the fortress may have freed all the captured Fairy Tail members. Also E.N.D is the book Marde is carrying.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

KamikaziPie posted:

If you honestly think that we will never see Aquarius again just because her key was destroyed and she was given a sentimental farewell, you obviously have not been reading this manga for long. I honestly won't be surprised if she is somehow returned to Lucy in the next chapter.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I also wouldn't be surprised if Lucy gets a special key just to summon the celestial king guy but it can only be used under certain conditions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I would be 110% ok with never seeing Aquarius again. Lucy is bad enough without summoning characters that bitch at her for things that aren't bad about her.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

If you honestly think that we will never see Aquarius again just because her key was destroyed and she was given a sentimental farewell, you obviously have not been reading this manga for long. I honestly won't be surprised if she is somehow returned to Lucy in the next chapter.

"Well done Lucy, we did it. You showed so much bravery, he's a the golden key to summon Aquarius. And now I will be off, for I am the Spirit King."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gyges posted:

I would be 110% ok with never seeing Aquarius again. Lucy is bad enough without summoning characters that bitch at her for things that aren't bad about her.

Yeah I'm not sad to see her go. I guess lucy forgot the time that Aquarius bailed on her when she fought Mineva in the tournament. Which lead to Lucy getting horribly beaten. But they're fond of one another, somehow!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Haha I love rabbit girl. "Let's blow up her gigantic boobs, KA- BOOM"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Suspicious Lump posted:

Haha I love rabbit girl. "Let's blow up her gigantic boobs, KA- BOOM"

Sadly this was fallowed up by Lamy's head exploding.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/385/2387/1

Lucy not jobbing for someone else's dramatic reveal? Aquarius not returning right away? Is this really Fairy Tail!? I don't think I can remember Lucy winning a fight since the time she unioned with Juvia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
And on that day the srongest of all power ups was bestowed. Competence.

Which also came with more clothes. Wait, is this real?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Lucy got a swimsuit upgrade, so. Yes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope this means that from now on rather than having to summon the spirits she'll be able to just channel them and use their power herself.

Mainly I just want super Lucy with the spirit king's power at some point.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Huh, that actually gives both a reason to treat the spirits well like Lucy does as well as a reason to collect the golden keys.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm really liking the interaction between the Spirit King and the Demon King. Polite and friendly total loathing is nice.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
In any other manga, bullshit power ups appearing out of nowhere would bother me. In fairy tail it's exactly what I want.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

sharktamer posted:

In any other manga, bullshit power ups appearing out of nowhere would bother me. In fairy tail it's exactly what I want.
I feel like the reason it works in FT is because the new powers almost always accomplish something, as in defeating the current foe / solving the current problem. Thats the reason it also works in Bleach (usually). Compared to Naruto where no attack for the last 2 years has had any lasting effect on any of the villains.

KoB
May 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

Mainly I just want super Lucy with the spirit king's power mustache at some point.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Meteoblade? Nah. Meteostache.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

New Chapter
Next chapter title: Father and Son. Gee, I wonder what that could possibly mean?:v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

New Chapter
Next chapter title: Father and Son. Gee, I wonder what that could possibly mean?:v:

Igneel's back. yaaaaaay. :effort:

Also is that really the end of super secret bossman whose name I can't remember? He just gets turned to stone by a vague freeing-Fairy-Tail-from-the-thing attack?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm a fan of the giant fuckoff energy beam actually doing what it's intended to do. That doesn't usually happen, even in Fairy Tail.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also is that really the end of super secret bossman whose name I can't remember? He just gets turned to stone by a vague freeing-Fairy-Tail-from-the-thing attack?

You're surprised a Fairy Tail villain was beaten anti-climatically?

At least Lucy won a fight on her own for the first time in god knows how long.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm a fan of the giant fuckoff energy beam actually doing what it's intended to do. That doesn't usually happen, even in Fairy Tail.

And he did it with a poo poo eating grin on his face, which is I guess a double plus.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Igneel's back. yaaaaaay. :effort:

Isn't it more revealing than that? I thought it referred to Gray/Silver.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pinegala posted:

Isn't it more revealing than that? I thought it referred to Gray/Silver.
Oh it absolutely will mean exactly that, I was just making a low effort joke at it being something other than the most obvious of incoming reveals, based on powers/Gray's face this chapter.

And Fairy Tail villains are usually beaten anticlimactically, but its usually a big fuckoff explosion attack from a protag, not a side effect of the spell that frees the protags to start their fights. I'm guessing E.N.D. will free him or something, we barely got to see a sample of his rose/thorn-based magic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So the son of a demon with ice powers got picked up by an ice mage completely by coincidence. It'd make more sense if Silver was Ur's husband, meaning that he is technically Gray's adoptive father. But well, that's fairy tail for you.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So Lucy managed to wreck up the baddies fortress, defeat in one attack someone Natsu struggled with earlier, and at least temporarily disabled the #2 guy. Not bad! Seems like just yesterday she was getting nope.avi'd to lose even fights she seemed capable of winning.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

New Chapter

Normally I'd be mad about that but with this manga I'm just :allears:

Serious Frolicking posted:

So the son of a demon with ice powers got picked up by an ice mage completely by coincidence. It'd make more sense if Silver was Ur's husband, meaning that he is technically Gray's adoptive father. But well, that's fairy tail for you.

It is rather convenient, but at least there's some connection between the two if you consider that Gray's village was destroyed by a demon of Zeref. I wonder how that got there!
Plus he lived up north around snowy parts IIRC, so there's that too. It stands to reason both an Ice Demon Guy and an Ice-Make Mage would prefer that climate.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KamikaziPie posted:

Also the one she has the least connection to, which is more annoying to me. I still found it actually kind of moving, but it would have been far more so if there'd be any kind of established connection/build up to this. That's Fairy Tail all-round though really.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And Fairy Tail villains are usually beaten anticlimactically, but its usually a big fuckoff explosion attack from a protag, not a side effect of the spell that frees the protags to start their fights. I'm guessing E.N.D. will free him or something, we barely got to see a sample of his rose/thorn-based magic.

I doubt he's beaten, since the Spirit King mentioned leaving beating him to his friends. He's been temporarily disabled in some manner at best.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/387

Wow, better get a move on.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Is Mashima really trying to drag out the Gray/Silver reveal? The only way it could be a twist is if it's just a demon in a Silver-suit at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hahaha, some of those Faces look so god drat SMUG :mmmhmm:

• Locked thread