Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sky Shadowing posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

Somebody finally got their head out of their rear end, it seems.

If I can buy this version and just use Steam to manage my installs rather than going through 5 separate product keys, etc., that would be awesome. If this version only has modding stuff, and no other improvements, I'm not sure I'll spring for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

If I can buy this version and just use Steam to manage my installs rather than going through 5 separate product keys, etc., that would be awesome. If this version only has modding stuff, and no other improvements, I'm not sure I'll spring for it.

It contains everything.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Holy gently caress, yes! I can't wait for their inevitable mea culpa blog post announcing how utterly wrong their pricing strategy was.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

vyshka posted:

They posted on the quarter to 3 forums that it will be $59.99. $49.99 for pre-order. $10 discount for each installment already owned, though that must be done through matrix. Steam key will be provided.

Wait, does this mean a pre-order will only be $10 if I own everything else?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
More relevant: release date is 23rd of this month. Just in time, for us US folks, for Memorial Day weekend.

That's going to be a good weekend with Tropico 5 also dropping that day!

EDIT: This thread holds the pricing information. After release, it's $59.99 download, $69.99 physical, but knock $10 dollars off each if you preorder and $10 dollars off for each previous release you own, including the base game. So yes, if you have the base game and all three expansions it's $9.99 digital, with a Steam key to be redeemed.

The cost seems astronomically high for what amounts to a 'gold' edition of a game, especially the 70 bucks you'll drop if you want a box. Collectors editions go for less on some games.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 15, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I already own everything else. :10bux: is probably worth having it on Steam alone. Is it coming with anything other than modding stuff? I can't tell from the product page.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Sky Shadowing posted:

More relevant: release date is 23rd of this month. Just in time, for us US folks, for Memorial Day weekend.

That's going to be a good weekend with Tropico 5 also dropping that day!

EDIT: This thread holds the pricing information. After release, it's $59.99 download, $69.99 physical, but knock $10 dollars off each if you preorder and $10 dollars off for each previous release you own, including the base game. So yes, if you have the base game and all three expansions it's $9.99 digital, with a Steam key to be redeemed.

The cost seems astronomically high for what amounts to a 'gold' edition of a game, especially the 70 bucks you'll drop if you want a box. Collectors editions go for less on some games.

Fantastic!

Now we just have to wait a thousand years for Distant Worlds 2.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I already own everything else. :10bux: is probably worth having it on Steam alone. Is it coming with anything other than modding stuff? I can't tell from the product page.

It's coming with a new scenario made using the new modding tools about the first war against the Shakturi, but no, I'm not sure what else it includes.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's coming with a new scenario made using the new modding tools about the first war against the Shakturi, but no, I'm not sure what else it includes.

The trailer kind of made it looked like the graphics might have been spruced up a bit.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Any news on Workshop support?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Steam Distant Worlds Description posted:

Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Why would you compare the game to a multiplayer game when it is not going to be one? Cue a zillion angry steam people complaining about how there's no multiplayer.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Simplicity and ease of real-time? Since loving when was real-time better than turn-based, take-your-time-and-think in those regards?

Grog doesn't count since it's sometimes up its own rear end just to smell its own farts.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Simplicity and ease of real-time? Since loving when was real-time better than turn-based, take-your-time-and-think in those regards?

Grog doesn't count since it's sometimes up its own rear end just to smell its own farts.

It's real time with pause, though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I know. It's just a terrible press release. And I'm a bit indignant (maybe not rightfully so) about paying $10 for a Steam key. I don't give two shits about modding and the expansion adds literally nothing except modding capability and a new storyline. That means I have to pay $10 for little more than a Steam key, which kind of sucks.

e: v Yeah yeah I know, it's what I get for supporting Matrix with over one hundred of my dollars. I knew what I was getting in to.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 15, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cool.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Any news on Workshop support?

This is what I care about, especially since the last expack is modding focused.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Absolutely, a larger player base + easy modding + easy mod implementation through workshop sounds boss.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK, this is a fairly complicated process.

:siren:You Have One Week (to 29 May) To Get the $10 Upgrade Discount:siren:

Upgrade to Universe

If you own one or more games/expansions in the Distant Worlds series you will be able to get a $10 discount for every Distant Worlds game/expansion you own. This means if you own Distant Worlds plus all three expansions, you can claim a $40 discount for Distant Worlds: Universe. This is then added to the $10 release discount (until May 29th) for a total of $ 50 off the regular price.

In order to generate this coupon, you must:

1. Create an account in the Matrix Members Club on the Front Page of the Matrix Site here - http://www.matrixgames.com/members/

2. Then register each of your Distant Worlds expansions on the Members Club.

3. Click the “My discount coupons” button on the right side. Here you will be able to get your coupon.

Note:Make sure to register ALL your Distant Worlds content before generating the coupon. It can only be done once, so if you do it before you registered all Distant Worlds keys, you will not be able to use the full discount!

After you have your discount, just add Universe to your card and enter the coupon code when required.

This upgrade system will remain in place until August 31st.

:frogsiren:But Wait, There's More!:frogsiren:

To register on Steam, you have to register the purchase code for Universe that you bought on Matrix on Slitherine (seriously).

1. Go to http://www.slitherine.com/

2. Create an account

3. Go to http://www.slitherine.com/my_page/steam_serials

4. Enter your Slitherine name and password and the download code for Universe that you got when you bought it on Matrix.

5. Once you have registered a serial a button will appear to generate a Steam key. Click the button and the page will update to show your key. This page will track all the Steam keys you have redeemed.

That's it!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Thanks for that, it's convoluted but I got it done without issue.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Jesus Christ are these people shitlords. One week only to get your discount and then a ridiculous process behind it? Die of cancer Matrix Games.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, it's one week to get the 10 dollar pre-order discount. You have until August 31st to get the 40 dollars off, which still seems a little short to me.

The number of steps is ridiculous, though. Why the hell do I need to sign up to two separate services to get a Steam key? Make it an option on the store! That's probably more Matrix, not the devs, though.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Thanks for the write-up, the process was pretty easy for me. Helps that I already had my Distant Worlds keys already registered with Matrix Games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Slitherine site stopped working. :( Working now.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 23, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm missing something. I've got the account and generated the code, but if I buy Universe from Steam, where do I use the coupon code?

Or is this for Slitherine/Matrix purchases of Universe only?

Anyone know the price on Steam yet? It's showing 7 hours until release.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You have to buy it through their store and then take the code it gives you, register for Slitherine, and use it to generate a Steam key.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

You have to buy it through their store and then take the code it gives you, register for Slitherine, and use it to generate a Steam key.

Thanks.

Edit: I guess the regular price is 59.99 and they've pre-removed the $10 launch discount. Just the base game got me $10 for $39.99. It's nice that the aggregate is cheaper than buying all the expansions.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 23, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

V for Vegas posted:

A bunch of ridiculous bullshit

Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the writeup though, it's very helpful!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Advice to all concerned:

The game comes with DirectX 9 in it's data files, in the 'redist' directory. If you're on Windows 8.1(And thus are on 11), and the game don't run out of the box(As it were), run it, let it install stuff, then try again.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Just wanted to add my thanks for the writeup as well, it was really helpful!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm fairly sure there isn't anywhere in the world that it is not the 23rd yet and steam still says 7 hours. I'm still at work but I could at least throw my money at them and set the remote download.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The writeup of the matrixgames->slitherine->steam process made sense.
Matrix games had the info in 2 different subforums....thanks for consolidating everything.

And of course, it makes perfect grognard sense to segregate steam enabled games & non-steam enabled games.
I wonder if Buzz Aldrins Race to Space will become a steam enabled game?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Feels good to wash my hands of Matrix Games. Man was that a lovely company. Now I can finally access this from Steam in perpetuity without expiring downloads and having to contact support all the time.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have never seen such a huge amount of bullshit to get a steam key. But it worked.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Silly question: Once I have my coupon, do I purchase Universe through Matrix *before* getting a Steam serial from Slitherine?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah it was stupid, but this is seriously a great step forward from their previous MO. Once they get a taste of steam sale revenue spikes we'll get discounts as well.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Silly question: Once I have my coupon, do I purchase Universe through Matrix *before* getting a Steam serial from Slitherine?

Yes

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

That worked: thank you. It's showing up on Steam, though I can't download it until it unlocks in around 4 hours (it's 3:00pm EDT).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

God I hope I can find my login and password for this game, its been years.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress you Matrix games, never again. Every step of the way it wanted me to sign up to their newsletters as well but gently caress that.

Steam says the unlock is in an hour, looking forward to it so I can see what's new and explore the modding tools a little. I had a great idea for a scenario two years back but it wasn't possible with the current modding options. Here's hoping there's some way to stagger tech unlocks that doesn't involve exploration, maybe population or economy goals, I want to make a fun sub-light speed quadrant where humanity explores the galaxy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Unlocked on Steam.

• Locked thread