Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah. That should be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Redeye Flight posted:

We appear to be operating on Redwall Size Conventions here, wherein creature size serves as a general rule of thumb instead of an absolute. That way, when the largely mouse-populated Abbeydwellers encounter a badger, he only stands about two or three of them tall instead of being the size of a small house.

Thankfully we're not operating on Redwall Racial Purity Conventions. Yet.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah. That should be easy.

:psyduck:

This plotline is giving me vicarious anxiety -- I teach at a university full time and my household is just me and a spouse; if raising a (demon) child with one on the way was added, plus I was expected to work in another equally demanding job AND earn a goddamned doctorate, I would either have a nervous breakdown or run away from home or something. Gah! Any one of those things is a big responsibility, but to do all four at once? :gonk:

Also, while it's not unheard of for an academic post to have the condition that you earn a doctorate within a certain amount of time of accepting the job (anywhere from one to three years, depending), but if I applied for, and got, a uni teaching post, and then they sprung on me that I needed a doctorate, that would be a deal-breaker. Something that big would have to be in the job description upfront.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 23, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TVs Ian posted:

I remember those days. It got to the point where if my parents decided to get a treat at TCBY instead of Carvel, I'd just opt out. Frozen yogurt that tried to be ice cream was so bad that a 9 or 10 year old me would rather skip dessert than eat it.

To this day I still have a huge bias against the stuff, even though I'm sure it's improved.
When I started primary school, the canteen sold flavoured yoghurt, but unlike normal flavoured yoghurt this was basically just yoghurt with big chunks of strawberry in it, and it was great. Then at some point they switched to frozen yoghurt, and I bought it once, tried it, threw it out and never bought it again. It was the worst. I've never eaten frozen yoghurt since.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Stop buying the store brand, you cheap bastard!

RandomFerret posted:

I think he's supposed to be using squares of scrap paper that he cut up himself and that's why they're in a messy little pile, but the colourist DON'T GIVE A gently caress.

Still, that's going a little overplugger. I don't think there are that many people out there who are cheap enough to make their own post-its.

It's neither of those. Those post-its are just gonig to stay there forever, and the adhesive on them won't last long enough. There are people at the place I work who do this. Their computers are just covered in these post-its that have been there for years.

Killer robot posted:

You know, I'm good with this. My experience with non-realistic art styles has been that big breasts that always look like they're in a pushup bra might not be great anatomy, but big breasts that are lovingly rendered in their response to gravity and motion are fetishy as gently caress.

I certainly know that if he drew them that way people would be complaining even more.
On the other hand, here's what she used to look like.

He could draw her like that.

Home and Away

Unprecedented access?

One Big Happy

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

Home and Away

Unprecedented access?

Well, no employee would be allowed to gently caress around all day on [AMERICAN-ONLY STREAMING WEBSITE] I guess?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

Mustapukuinen Mies - A Man in Black

Holy hell :laffo: This one is beautiful.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Killer robot posted:

You know, I'm good with this. My experience with non-realistic art styles has been that big breasts that always look like they're in a pushup bra might not be great anatomy, but big breasts that are lovingly rendered in their response to gravity and motion are fetishy as gently caress.

I certainly know that if he drew them that way people would be complaining even more.

I guess it's just the art student raging in me. I didn't take figure drawing for a few years to not learn how tits work! Then again, part of the reason for figure study is so that when you do stuff like cartoon styles, the underlying anatomy and posing feels more natural even if the actual anatomy is extremely exaggerated. You have to know the rules to break them, or something. I guess it's a wash, since the strip itself and most other newspaper comics aren't terribly concerned with realism.

E: I'd suggest that Brooke McEldowney take a few figure drawing courses, but we don't need more detailed hand-sex.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This gets a thumbs-up.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Is this an edit? Why would the artist lovingly render three unique hooked noses and the outlines of a ski mask compressed around a curly mop of hair and make the car be the only relevant clue? :psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Jesus Cobalt you're clueless. How do you keep being outfoxed by a children's comic strip?

Winsor McCay's Rarebit Fiend

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Wow. Knut was secretly Paul Shaffer this whole time!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Killer robot posted:

I agree. I mean, gigantic cartoon boobs have always defied gravity. Jessica Rabbit comes to mind.

Ms Boods posted:

:psyduck:

This plotline is giving me vicarious anxiety -- I teach at a university full time and my household is just me and a spouse; if raising a (demon) child with one on the way was added, plus I was expected to work in another equally demanding job AND earn a goddamned doctorate, I would either have a nervous breakdown or run away from home or something. Gah! Any one of those things is a big responsibility, but to do all four at once? :gonk:

Also, while it's not unheard of for an academic post to have the condition that you earn a doctorate within a certain amount of time of accepting the job (anywhere from one to three years, depending), but if I applied for, and got, a uni teaching post, and then they sprung on me that I needed a doctorate, that would be a deal-breaker. Something that big would have to be in the job description upfront.

Don't forget, these are 'toons, and June can do literally super-human things with regard to her family life. I'm surprised they're not throwing her pole dancing, and IT consulting side jobs into the mix too. Plus, Rex can just get a temp RN, and Kelly's got our little potential exorcism subject under control for the time being. :v:

Jane's World

Uh.. hmm. Did somebody up-thread mention "threesome"? Well Jane, when in Rome...

Non Sequitur

Good one, Wiley! Just the concept of a "guide chicken" was funny to me.

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

Kliban

I wiki'd Mendocino. I'm still :psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 5/23/2003

Interesting that Juliette wears an evening gown to bed at night. I guess I'm not surprised, Brooke.

Zits

Wait, isn't Jeremy a perpetual HS Sophomore? I was pretty much done with that by that time.

Kevin & Kell

poo poo, that's Kevin's Mom? Why do I even care?

Nemi

Wait, what?! No 5/23 Metro? Do you guys, like, just shutdown the country every couple of weeks? :v:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

I can't stop cracking up at this, I am a child

Mr. Squishy posted:

Jesus Cobalt you're clueless. How do you keep being outfoxed by a children's comic strip?

Cobalt Solves The Mystery, But The Inspector Has Different Plans

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Petey is so supportive.

The Creeps ...you'd think there'd be a lot more blood.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 4, 1927)

Peanuts (May 26, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

"Lust For Lisa"? For a disease-of-the-week movie? What kind of cable network did Les's agent sell that script to? And how many states is it banned in?

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Never can trust those animate teddy bears.

All In The Family did it first.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears displays the roadblock every writer faces.

Ironically, The Dinette Set has no place to put their dinette set.

I do this too. :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Hi, I'm Jamppa, of Ahonen
- Wanna dance?
- Didn't you hear him? He's mine!
[Ahonen]

Saying someone's full name sounds slightly less... formal, I guess, when you say the surname first. However, the surname must be in possessive form: "I'm Ahonen's Jamppa". I think the idea is something like "Jamppa of the Ahonen family" but with the family part dropped.

Fok_It

"In a fog" means heavily drunk in Finnish.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 23, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Julet Esqu posted:

If it's the evening, the bank would still be closed. :colbert:

The (Catholic) church I grew up in did (sparsely-attended) services every day at multiple times. That said, it's more likely that that goon is lying. He just happens not to be the most likely culprit for this particular crime according to the twisted logic by which Inspector Danger's universe operates.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
All I could see

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Lust For Lisa"? For a disease-of-the-week movie? What kind of cable network did Les's agent sell that script to? And how many states is it banned in?

It'll work better if they change the character's name to Liza. They should see if Les will go for that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Holy poo poo! It's an Imperial Guardsman!

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This isn't actually happening, this is just the story Les tells when people ask him how his movie script is selling.

"No, no, I got plenty of people who wanted to buy it, but they were going to sully Lisa's memory, so I turned them down."

Because we all know that Lisa was such a beautiful person that even a book about her dying from cancer turned people into total horn Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Here, have another cliffhanger that I won't resolve for several days.

Ballard Street

When you're improvising, you need to fit the narrative to the props you've got.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lost Side of Suburbia is pretty OK but I'm surprised no one else has mentioned its thesaurus obsession. Seriously read the dialogue in the Heckbender story - it's a million miles from natural. The words supposedly coming out of this fourteen-year-old (?) girl range from "stilted" to "archaic." It's goony writing through and through and I honestly couldn't bear reading it after a couple pages into her reading the Hobbit and wondering if "the gruesome monster might delight in the happenstances of the diminutive hero or draw parallels between our plight and his imminent satiation of hunger" or whatever the gently caress. Just saying it's odd to get a pass from everyone when Brooke McEldowny's pretentious word soups are regularly mocked.

I am, however, reading the new story, because it's drawn in a neat style and colorful. And hasn't yet shown any problems in writing. Whereas I automatically scroll past any and all McEldowny comics.

Also I say again, Creeps forever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mike du Jour is pissing me off more than usual.

Karl Kasell's final show was last weekend. It was quite a good sendoff. He's retired now. This joke would have been terrible even if it wasn't late.

edit: also, they've been saying "home answering machine or voicemail" for a long rear end time

:argh: mad about stupid poo poo

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 23, 2014

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Julet Esqu posted:

Pros & Cons

Still one of the best strips in this thread.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

SuperKlaus posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia is pretty OK but I'm surprised no one else has mentioned its thesaurus obsession. Seriously read the dialogue in the Heckbender story - it's a million miles from natural. The words supposedly coming out of this fourteen-year-old (?) girl range from "stilted" to "archaic." It's goony writing through and through and I honestly couldn't bear reading it after a couple pages into her reading the Hobbit and wondering if "the gruesome monster might delight in the happenstances of the diminutive hero or draw parallels between our plight and his imminent satiation of hunger" or whatever the gently caress. Just saying it's odd to get a pass from everyone when Brooke McEldowny's pretentious word soups are regularly mocked.

I am, however, reading the new story, because it's drawn in a neat style and colorful. And hasn't yet shown any problems in writing. Whereas I automatically scroll past any and all McEldowny comics.

Also I say again, Creeps forever.

I talked like that when I was 14 because all I did was read long books with big words by myself. I'm going to say that the protagonist's speech patterns when retelling her experience seems ok to me. I now talk like the dumb mid-western waste of space that I am, because that's how real people talk.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Old Biddy Adventures

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

how do you even make something as ugly as this?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

I wiki'd Mendocino. I'm still :psyduck:

I sometimes joke that there's Northern California, Central California, Southern California, and Marin County (which is it's own little planet of weird.) Mendocino probably has more crazies, but they're spread farther apart.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Has anybody suggested that Alibi Algie might have a twin brother nobody knows about? He's passing himself off as his own twin brother? I had an old comic where that was the answer.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 7-8, 1925)
I love the artwork and little details put into this strip. It's a shame there's no modern equivalent.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps ...you'd think there'd be a lot more blood.

:lol: that last panel is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Haven't done one of these in a while.

Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Trent posted:

Mike du Jour is pissing me off more than usual.

Karl Kasell's final show was last weekend. It was quite a good sendoff. He's retired now. This joke would have been terrible even if it wasn't late.

Well, considering that the last thread had a week of Car Talk jokes which landed a full year after they stopped making new episodes, we should be thankful Lester got it that close.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

RandomFerret posted:

Please keep doing these, they are wonderful.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

RandomFerret posted:

Honestly this isn't that far from your average Winnie the Pooh strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The difference between the slightly flowery stuff of Lost Side of Suburbia and McEldowney's wank fest is that one sounds like a kid who's had their head dipped into too much Edwardian/Victorian literature and the other one sounds like someone who literally right clicks random words in his speech bubble and selects the longest thesaurus suggestion he can find, resulting in a stream of incoherent garbage. Nobody talks like they do in Lost Side of Suburbia, but nobody even naturally writes like they do in Chickweed Lane.

Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

• Locked thread