Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

kirbysuperstar posted:

You forgot that the drunk cat was a personal friend of Al Capone and that you took side missions from Lovecraft himself.

:stare: Looks like I have a PS2 to pull out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
It's definitely worth playing. While what has been said is all true, the gameplay only improves throughout the series - even though 2 and 3 are so piss-easy outside of optional dungeons and the last bosses that you don't have to be particularily good at it. The third game also has at least as good a soundtrack as the other two and the best battle theme (...for the first half of the game, unfortunately) and despite all the wackiness at least the main plot/endgame is a real downer. I like a good downer.

I have yet to finish the first game, though, and I definitely should do so before getting back into the sequels because in comparison it's just really clunky and unrefined.

I actually think one big draw of the series, and that applies to all of the games, is the weird combination of a somber real-world setting and utter JRPGishness. Makes for a nice contrast, and anything that's not generic fantasy gets a generous bonus from me.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The soundtrack might just be the best thing about the Shadow Hearts series. The music is very expiremental, bleak, and sometimes... rave-y? But it works so well.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 23, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hace posted:

XSEED is still a thing?

They're one of the best publishers working today. Their commitment to their fans and informed, discerning choices of what to publish is something all companies should aspire to.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Butt Ghost posted:

The soundtrack might just be the best thing about the Shadow Hearts series. The music is very expiremental, bleak, and sometimes... rave-y? But it works so well.

It's odd too, because in-game I find the soundtrack just kind of okay--nothing super stand-out--but whenever I listen to links on youtube, I'm always impressed by it.

God, Yuri was such a great main character. 1920's Keanu Reeves with about four working brain cells and fists of justice. His banter skills were top-notch.

...dammit now I wanna play Shadow Hearts 2 again. The historical epic that shows pre-WW2 Japan with flying robots and mecha. Bless its heart.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's odd too, because in-game I find the soundtrack just kind of okay--nothing super stand-out--but whenever I listen to links on youtube, I'm always impressed by it.

God, Yuri was such a great main character. 1920's Keanu Reeves with about four working brain cells and fists of justice. His banter skills were top-notch.

...dammit now I wanna play Shadow Hearts 2 again. The historical epic that shows pre-WW2 Japan with flying robots and mecha. Bless its heart.

And then he told God to shove it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hearts 2 was honestly one of my favorite PS2-era RPGs. It just felt loving huge. A 2 disc game that never seemed to end with like 3 distinct plot arcs and tons of characters and all sorts of side content and man I want that on PS2 classics so loving bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really ought to replay Shadow Hearts 2. I distinctly remember absolutely hating it, but I'm so completely alone in this that my perspective is probably skewed somewhere.

Except the part where I dislike it becoming more goofy. That part actually sucks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it's kind of a shame that they veered off into sillyland in 2 and 3. They had the PERFECT balance in the original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought 2 had the perfect balance honestly. 1 went a big up its own rear end at times and 3 was way too far into silly land. 2 was serious sometimes and silly sometimes and though it went a bit too far on occasion (usually with Joachim), I appreciated it having a drat sense of humor instead of being nothing but giant pretenious wankfest #943.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

I thought 2 had the perfect balance honestly. 1 went a big up its own rear end at times and 3 was way too far into silly land. 2 was serious sometimes and silly sometimes and though it went a bit too far on occasion (usually with Joachim), I appreciated it having a drat sense of humor instead of being nothing but giant pretenious wankfest #943.

Let me rephrase that. It's not that I dislike that it's goofy so much as I dislike that they toned down the horror aspects. Shadow Hearts was downright creepy at times, and its monster designs were almost unanimously hosed up and interesting. Shadow Hearts 2 toned that way the gently caress down and became much more generic (and downright boring) as a result.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It just felt loving huge. A 2 disc game that never seemed to end with like 3 distinct plot arcs and tons of characters
Shadow Hearts feels like a badass 80's shonen, what with the multiple arcs, colorful characts, slaying demons via punching, and also monster transformations. gently caress, I'd totally go for a Shadow Hearts manga, Yuri is essentially Joeseph Joestar meets Dante from DMC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Let me rephrase that. It's not that I dislike that it's goofy so much as I dislike that they toned down the horror aspects. Shadow Hearts was downright creepy at times, and its monster designs were almost unanimously hosed up and interesting. Shadow Hearts 2 toned that way the gently caress down and became much more generic (and downright boring) as a result.

How far did you get into SH2? I seem to recall it having a lot of really hosed up designs and situations. Not quite to the same level as SH1's earlier parts (which were the most Pure Horror the series got to me) but certainly on par with the later Roger Bacon-oriented stuff.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

How far did you get into SH2? I seem to recall it having a lot of really hosed up designs and situations. Not quite to the same level as SH1's earlier parts (which were the most Pure Horror the series got to me) but certainly on par with the later Roger Bacon-oriented stuff.

I quit playing literally at the final dungeon. I distinctly remember one enemy being pretty hosed up, and specifically remember this because it was the only enemy in the entire game that felt that way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, Shadow Hearts 1 had some jokes and stuff too, I wouldn't really call it 'generic pretentiousness.' The world is saved by a machine Roger Bacon made to get his pizza.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

King of Solomon posted:

SH2 definitely keeps the creepy monster designs, and a good amount of the dungeons were pretty eerie. I thought the Petrograd Sewers were really unsettling and the monsters, especially the Big Boss Monsters, were usually quite disturbing.

SH3 had really bright and colorful areas and encountering monsters in half of them felt strangely out of place and weird. In SH2, you were always exploring ancient structures or corrupted magical places and it made sense that long forgotten ghosts and goblins would be lurking about. The goofiness of SH2 helps break up a lot of the tension between dungeons, which isn't such a bad thing. Vagrant Story, for instance, rarely breaks the tension and keeps you wandering a pretty horrorshow location the whole game, and that can wear down on you.

I'd like to see another horror-themed JRPG though. SMT has become more mainstream too, so there's really a lack of genuine horror in the Arr Pee Gees these days.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

King of Solomon posted:

The enemy designs were pretty creepy throughout the entire franchise. It's the area design that really lost the horror aspect. I think the best example is the Doll House dungeon in each of the game. The Doll House in the first game did a great job of building up to that gruesome final room. The second Doll House had decent enough atmosphere and still did a good enough job of being creepy (those giant cockroaches that attacked by leaping right on the screen helped.) The third Doll House wasn't scary at all and just had a tedious puzzle to solve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Eh, Shadow Hearts 1 had some jokes and stuff too, I wouldn't really call it 'generic pretentiousness.' The world is saved by a machine Roger Bacon made to get his pizza.

I wasn't referring to SH1 that way but rather the RPGs of the era.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wasn't referring to SH1 that way but rather the RPGs of the era.
Oh, poo poo, I misread your post, sorry.

Either way, Bacon is the best JRPG inventor character.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I remember getting and starting to play SH2 and being pissed it continued off of the regular ending of SH1 and never getting far in it because of that. Now it is years and years later and I cannot find my disks and it is upsetting

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SH2 definitely keeps the creepy monster designs, and a good amount of the dungeons were pretty eerie. I thought the Petrograd Sewers were really unsettling and the monsters, especially the Big Boss Monsters, were usually quite disturbing.

Which is another reason I should probably replay it to refresh my memory. I played the game at release, was increasingly disappointed with the game, and then I stopped after doing a bunch of sidequests before heading into the final dungeon.

My memories of the game at this point are basically "the monster designs were disappointing except one specific boss, can't explain why", "I didn't like any of the story beats," and "Joachim is loving great, but he shouldn't be related to Keith." Stuff like that.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Everyone who complained about SH2's added goofyness and lack of horror should go and play SH's prequel, Koudelka. It's pretty great... except for the actual gameplay part of the game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Megami Tensei Megathread Mk. III: Shadow Hearts Megathread

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/267igt/dear_dear_dear_ratlusprime_could_you_please/chonkm2

Atlus posted:

There's not a lot I can talk about in regards to EU. EU is a big part of our 3rd party titles, (Daylight, Citizens of Earth, Zeno Clash 2, etc.) so it's not that we hate Europe or anything, we do everything we can to try and get our games released over there. But the bigger the title, the more resources, time, etc. it takes. (see: SMTIV)

I know it sucks and it's tough to deal with as a consumer. Every time I see some diesel car on Top Gear that gets 75mpg, I wonder why we can't get it in the U.S. (dat VW GTI TDI...) and it pisses me off that there's so much stuff holding it up from releasing here. But I also understand there are a lot of factors beyond "there are people who want to buy it here, why don't they just sell it here" that I don't know about. (Specifically with the GTI, it's because VW's mexico plant isn't capable of making the engines to spec, so US dealers would have to import and double- or triple the cost of the car). I think I've gotten off topic, and I know this a lot of non-answers that's not going to make anyone any happier. m(_ _;)m

They're also looking into the Persona 4 Arena removal.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Krad posted:

Everyone who complained about SH2's added goofyness and lack of horror should go and play SH's prequel, Koudelka. It's pretty great... except for the actual gameplay part of the game.
The voice acting is surprisingly good too, especially for a PSX game. While the gameplay is slow and PSX-y, it's actually super easy -- except for the final boss holy gently caress -- and the game is really short, so it's not all that painful.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Butt Ghost posted:

Yuri is essentially Joeseph Joestar meets Dante from DMC

Goddamn, how have I not heard of this series before? I need to track these down :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

The voice acting is surprisingly good too, especially for a PSX game. While the gameplay is slow and PSX-y, it's actually super easy -- except for the final boss holy gently caress -- and the game is really short, so it's not all that painful.
And the music is pretty forgettable but I really love the final boss theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSu7jxwctA

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

You forgot that the drunk cat was a personal friend of Al Capone and that you took side missions from Lovecraft himself.

Please tell me this game is on PSN.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Please tell me this game is on PSN.

Nope. None of the games are. There are all sorts of problems with the company who published them and the developer is out of business and carved up among other developers. :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't think they are super rare though, so you can still pick up copies in the $20-$50 range. I got 1 and 2 through Gamestop but that was a few years before they started cutting back on them.

All three are really good games, namely 2 which I think is one of the best JRPGs period. And really they are rather similar to Mega Ten in setting and tone, the Raidou games especially. I wish JRPGs now had the same charm and creativity that the Shadow Hearts games had.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Three or four games at that price range plus a PS2 is pretty expensive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I own all the games but SH2 emulates pretty lovely and my PS2 doesn't work anymore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

Three or four games at that price range plus a PS2 is pretty expensive.
Perhaps, but they're worth it. :colbert:

If you're on a budget though, 2 is the must play, though you're probably going to be a bit lost seeing is that its a direct sequel.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 23, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shadow Hearts to me where the perfect RPG's of that era, I don't really favor one over the other, I found them all to be perfect.

I actually liked the 3rd the most, the party compositions you could make where just so batshit.

Drunken Master cat, a vampire that could be either fat or skinny and it would changer her entire moveset, a mariachi, 2 native americans, one would that turn into different forms and one that used gun kata and a kid from chicago.

It also had tons of little shout-outs to the original, it felt like a nice send-off to the franchise. :unsmith:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Shadow Hearts to me where the perfect RPG's of that era, I don't really favor one over the other, I found them all to be perfect.

I actually liked the 3rd the most, the party compositions you could make where just so batshit.

Drunken Master cat, a vampire that could be either fat or skinny and it would changer her entire moveset, a mariachi, 2 native americans, one would that turn into different forms and one that used gun kata and a kid from chicago.

It also had tons of little shout-outs to the original, it felt like a nice send-off to the franchise. :unsmith:

3 sports the best battle system of the three as well, the ultimate refinement of all the previous additives. The battles are harder too, it has a generally higher difficulty curve from SH2, which is a big boon because SH2 kind of becomes a cake-walk about halfway through, and never really requires you to utilize elemental weaknesses or anything besides your characters' best skills. SH3 makes magic more useful by virtue of giving you a weak-sauce main character who is a better mage than slasher. The only real downside is that the plot is really scattershot, the pacing is all over the place, and the game's easily half the length of SH2 without anything really major being added in. Plus they turn Al Capone into a sympathetic pretty boy , which was a bit strange.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Perhaps, but they're worth it. :colbert:

If you're on a budget though, 2 is the must play, though you're probably going to be a bit lost seeing is that its a direct sequel.

Even at the low end of what you said you'd be spending around $100 unless you owned a PS2 previously, over $200 at the high. Kind of a lot!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well this is the same series that has Anastasia Romanov being a magical badass that fights with Faberge eggs and Roger Bacon is an immortal old coot that has a teleporter to the moon that's powered by a treadmill. It's part of the series' charm.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Even at the low end of what you said you'd be spending around $100 unless you owned a PS2 previously, over $200 at the high. Kind of a lot!
I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just saying that if you have the money they're worth it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 23, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would love to play new bad/good JRPGs, but I'm trying to find ways to juggle playing Inazuma Eleven, Etrian odyssey and Drakengard 3 while trying to find copies of all three .hack GU games for a not stupid price and adding Shadow Hearts to that would be very troubling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

3 sports the best battle system of the three as well, the ultimate refinement of all the previous additives. The battles are harder too, it has a generally higher difficulty curve from SH2, which is a big boon because SH2 kind of becomes a cake-walk about halfway through, and never really requires you to utilize elemental weaknesses or anything besides your characters' best skills. SH3 makes magic more useful by virtue of giving you a weak-sauce main character who is a better mage than slasher. The only real downside is that the plot is really scattershot, the pacing is all over the place, and the game's easily half the length of SH2 without anything really major being added in. Plus they turn Al Capone into a sympathetic pretty boy , which was a bit strange.

Really? I found SH3 to be the easiest. You get some stuff in it that utterly shatters the difficulty curve. Hilda in particular is crazy with the way she can multiply magic damage.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I found SH3 to be the easiest. You get some stuff in it that utterly shatters the difficulty curve.

Not until the end though? I mean, maybe I missed out on something, I found it had generally harder random encounters and boss battles were a bit more technical, and elemental weaknesses mattered a lot more.