Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Why the Hell won't DE just give Pull's (still) overpowered range and damage and slap it into Crush?
Actually making Crush pull everything around you into you crushing them (Or into a wall/cover/whatever stops them ragdolling) would be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Why the Hell won't DE
This is the thread's true title.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
"Why the Hell won't DE... ooh, spacedogs"

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Sandweed posted:

Crush isn't a very good endgame power though.

Tons of powers scale super shittily because HP values inflate so stupidly as you start tearing up higher level assholes. Most ultimates are awesome when you're fighting level ~20 or so dudes, but 30+ just starts laughing at those 1k~ 'ultimates' that shave off a fraction of a health bar.

This sucks a lot.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
:siren: GET hosed DE, Warframe is now a third-person MOBA :siren:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Warframe is PVP now. From here on out the game will be balanced entirely around the PVP/MOBA poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What the hell?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Denzine posted:

the game will be balanced

I find this to be highly unlikely.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
Eh, first of all, the new game mode is on Solar Rails and rail rewards are set by clans. Without any substantial rewards that are not credits the new game mode will be as popular as conclaves.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Piekuuns posted:

Eh, first of all, the new game mode is on Solar Rails and rail rewards are set by clans. Without any substantial rewards that are not credits the new game mode will be as popular as conclaves.

Are they making Dark Sector Conflict PvP? Will it be terribly implemented? Because I am staunchly in favor of any decision that lowers the amount of impulse pubbies have to lock down sector nodes.

I think a separate team-based PvP thing would be neat, but not as the frames are/will ever be currently balanced and not if it interferes with PvE progression.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Behold the Livestream of Terrible Ideas!
    PC to PS4 account migration expected to be live after Update 14
    emotes coming but no solid date
    Sword and Board weapon aimed for update 14

Going to give players a contest to make skins for weapons, winner gets a cut of the platinum
    fan dioramas close to being done
    Oberon next to be reworked, then valkyr
    Valkry being changed to fit in better with melee 2.0, all new animation set, lots of flips and rolls
    Going to take a look at the value of pause combos (ie. making them actually useful)
    Possible future plan: region-based drops to give a reason to go to different planets
    Argument between the devs about whether defense should have stacking rewards or not
    New mission mode replacing solar rail conflicts is Sabotage
    Attack/defend asymetrical game mode PvP, burn out other team's respawn tickets
    defenders place turrets, specter spawners, etc
    your mods start out de-energized and level up as you play, in order of loadout
    Clans can lay out their defense ahead of time
    "what if this doesn't interest me?" "Well you should be." GET hosed DE
    Clans that contribue to a conflict get to deploy earlier
    PS4 getting massively improved load times
    Making the game look better on low-end systems
    T4 keys "all but a certainty"
    Want to make endgame enemies more lethal rather than damage sponges
    More lore coming
    Focus system is still being worked on
    Snipers are getting a buff
    a bunch of :words: that boil down to DE has no plans to actually improve the new player experience
    Player ship

Scanner with information about the region you're in

adding head movement
    able to see market/etc

player ship is a means of progression, customize modules/slots, colors, decorations, etc
    want to open up more fronts early on to be able to see different stuff
    can pull up ship menu at any point, menu "projected" from the hand of your warframe
    when you log in, start right in front of navigation section

Foundry
I have to leave so Denzine will be posting the rest once it's over.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
PVP redeemed by dog

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, no potato alert?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I wish they'd make the dog die if you didn't login for a few days. It'd be the most warframe "feature" ever, and it would make people really mad. Especially if you came back to a rotting koala-wolf-dog corpse.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh, no potato alert?

Catalyst and Forma alerts are incoming.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Carecat posted:

PVP redeemed by dog
Much like how DE thinks about balance, but doesn't think about balance, this is simultaneously the worst update and the best update.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Ships have different module locations for different stuff such as
-Genetic foundry(build Kubrow)
-Kubrow requires tamagatchi bullshit to maintain, must put in time before you can take him on a mission
-Kubrow colors etc set on build
-Kubrow wanders the personal ship
-PET DOG
-GOOD DOG
-Not for several weeks.

-New art set for Infested
-Alad V is coming back with the Infested and with a new Event.

-Vor's Prize is building up your player ship.

Still, the worthelss unbalanced PVP is going to end the game, so none of that's going to matter.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009

Denzine posted:

Ships have different module locations for different stuff such as
-Genetic foundry(build Kubrow)
-Kubrow requires tamagatchi bullshit to maintain, must put in time before you can take him on a mission
-Kubrow colors etc set on build
-PET DOG
-GOOD DOG
-Not for several weeks.

-New art set for Infested
-Alad V is coming back with the Infested and with a new Event.

-Vor's Prize is building up your player ship.

Still, the worthelss unbalanced PVP is going to end the game, so none of that's going to matter.

Not quite seeing how the game mode meant only for Solar Rails can end/ruin the game.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Denzine posted:

If the worthless unbalanced PvP is restricted to conflicts who gives an actual gently caress?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I eagerly await the day when I can equip a Kubrow and Para Carrier and be Space Ventura, Pet Detective.

but DE will never let this happen because they hate fun

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've only been playing for a couple weeks, I can safely ignore this stupid PVP stuff right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Piell posted:

your mods start out de-energized and level up as you play, in order of loadout

This sounds like it could be interesting but basically I'm going to be bored as poo poo with the rest of it, especially the idea of T4 keys, gently caress that and gently caress you DE.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Darwinism posted:

If the worthless unbalanced PvP is restricted to conflicts who gives an actual gently caress?

Every part of the game affects every other part. PVP is now center stage on their endgame plans, they will have to balance the game around it going forward. They've already wasted months of effort on it. It's not contained in its own little bubble any more.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

zgrowler2 posted:

but DE will never let this happen because they hate fun
They actually talked about how they thought zorencoptering looked silly and they wanted to be serious with their game.

But then they started coptering themselves. And then they couldn't stop doing it.

So they just accepted it as part of Warframe's identity.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Denzine posted:

Every part of the game affects every other part. PVP is now center stage on their endgame plans, they will have to balance the game around it going forward. They've already wasted months of effort on it. It's not contained in its own little bubble any more.

Have they said that they want the game to be more PvP-focused? I mean, yeah, they've tried to make PvP a thing in different ways, but I'm not sure how this spells the end.

Granted that this is DE and they've got plenty of room to do something just this batshit.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
My predictions for PVP: Everyone will run around with explosive damage ignis's shitblasting eachother right off the map, straight into the dumpster. Everything else will be really worthless.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Darwinism posted:

Have they said that they want the game to be more PvP-focused? I mean, yeah, they've tried to make PvP a thing in different ways, but I'm not sure how this spells the end.

Granted that this is DE and they've got plenty of room to do something just this batshit.

The PVE plan is T4 keys. Everything that isn't grinding for Prime parts now funnels into the PVP endgame with Specters and modding up your Solar Rail with defenses and such. The turrets were likely created specifically for PVP, and feature heavily in the new PVP maps, and PVP design in general(placement can be varied etc).

They've sunk months of time and resources into this, it is the future of Warframe. And they have no idea what they're doing.

edit: dropped a word

Denzine fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 23, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is incredibly stupid because it's going to take a huge part of their time and resources to make features for this and then actually try to balance it (something that is literally impossible and always will be with the way the game is designed). PvP still sounds like it will be easy to stay out of but I think this will hurt the quality of the rest of the game, because right now the game's situation is a really buggy mess that is still fun to play because they release new content so quickly. If they stop releasing so much new stuff while also leaving the game in the state it is now, it's going to be hard to justify playing it.

Combined with comments about not wanting to improve the new player experience which is still loving garbage, I might just stop playing for awhile I guess. I got very bored around when the new rescue stuff came out and a lot of their comments during the last few streams imply that their priorities are in the wrong place. I mean for Christ's sake the entire game was made from the ground up to be PvE, with abilities and weapons etc designed entirely around killing tons of AI dudes. There's no way they can take that system and somehow make it work for PvP, because it's not even remotely balanced as a PvE game right now anyway.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Combined with comments about not wanting to improve the new player experience which is still loving garbage, I might just stop playing for awhile I guess.

I didn't watch the stream, but did they actually explicitly say that they're not interested in improving things for new players? Because that's an incredibly lovely opinion to have if that's true.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

I didn't watch the stream, but did they actually explicitly say that they're not interested in improving things for new players? Because that's an incredibly lovely opinion to have if that's true.

More likely they're just apathetic about it and consider the current experience good enough.

Which is stupid.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
Not really. The idea is that you now have to "upgrade" your ship with modules like the foundry, market etc. and to do that you have to travel to a bunch of different planets. It staggers the introduction of new systems while letting new players visit more diverse settings instead of just plowing through mercury first thing. Sounds like an improvement, but who knows how it will actually pan out.

Got to admit, freaked out a bit over that ship. Been waiting for something like this since they teased the possibility in closed beta.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
So are we gonna have a hangar in the dojo that lets us inspect/molest clanmates' ships?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Mac Con posted:

Not really. The idea is that you now have to "upgrade" your ship with modules like the foundry, market etc. and to do that you have to travel to a bunch of different planets. It staggers the introduction of new systems while letting new players visit more diverse settings instead of just plowing through mercury first thing. Sounds like an improvement, but who knows how it will actually pan out.

Got to admit, freaked out a bit over that ship. Been waiting for something like this since they teased the possibility in closed beta.

They actually do seem to have a plan to improve the presentation of the new player experience, especially w.r.t. providing short term goals. The problem is that they haven't said anything about improving the mechanics.

There was some mention about wishing that mods had been better designed from the start, but there also seemed to be this weird idea that it was too late to go back and make changes on the early mods. Although the specific change cited was adding +energy cost to Stretch, etc., in the mode of the new channeling mods (more commonly known as "dumb garbage for idiots"), so uh... I guess it could be worse?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
They'll still release new stuff, it'll just be PVP centric. They can't do what they've been doing with PVE and leave things for months. All the dumb poo poo that being PVE cushioned before is going to take center stage in PVP.

For example you just can't have a successful PVP game where things like jumping don't work, the same way, every time. They have a loving mountain of stupid bugs to work out that will throw PVP into the shitter. Phasing through walls. Nyx Absorb glitching. gently caress, what about Energy Vampire just working as intended? Molt and Vampire will murder everyone and everything that isn't literally invulnerable(so Valkyr in her ult I guess), so what the hell is going to happen in PVP with the actually good powers? Will they make a bunch of map-specific changes like they do Conclaves, forcing everyone to learn an entire second game that will naturally lack any documentation at all?

Then there's manipulating latency to the host. They can't do dedicated servers, so that's gonna be a an extremely powerful - and almost impossible to prove - tactic. As will be rigging matches. Fighting for the opposite side and forcing/allowing a loss.

We're not even getting into the min/max possibilities the mod order and everything to do with them brings to the table.

I'm kinda rambling and only touching a few of the problems with PVP in Warframe, every time I look back at this I think up some new poo poo that will make PVP feel awful(for example potatos still having an effect plus the natural effects of Forma means pay-to-win, baby, and gently caress newbies), so I'll just stop here.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008
Guess I won't have 2000 hours in this terrible game now.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
PvP in this game will essentially be perma-invis Lokis with one-shotters.

Better nerf Loki and all weapons, stat.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Denzine posted:

Oh cool, a reason to make a Kubrow.

Nothing they ever put out for the sentinel slot will be able to trump or even match Carrier, not unless they make limited vacuum functionality part of the base game, so it's not like I'll ever use a spacedog on actual missions. v:shobon:v

This PvP business is pretty funny, and also surprising. PvP-as-endgame has always been the last resort of developers who have run out of ideas, but come on- somebody's gotta be out of their gourd at DE to think that 'serious' PvP could ever work without a rebalance far more fundamental than anything they've done before. They'd have to rethink it right down to the way level scaling progresses.

Still, I don't think it's going to kill the game. At worst it will put it into effective stagnation for several months while DE gets it beaten into their heads what a stupid bunch of ideas it all is, then they leave it to fester unfinished in the corner while they go back to working on fun things.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
The new PvP focus is really bizarre. It seems like the vast majority of the playerbase either couldn't give less of a poo poo about it or are actively hostile to the idea, and conclaves seemed to have shut up the few that did care about it.

I don't get the impression that DE has a ton of programmers given how long it takes them to implement relatively simple things, so it will really suck if a lot more of their time is taken up with this stupid PvP bullshit.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

One time, Denzine did a thing.

Can a permainvis Loki even survive that?

Also, once again, thanks MaleMan for the BIG GUN bp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
Wont Link focused Trinities win every pvp battle? All that damage will just get reflected back at the attacker.