Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

So is playing dom jot with a Nausicaan, but sometimes you gotta live a little.

Yeah but that may give you a bitchin' robot heart and a baller posting. Smoking only gives you cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DS9 season 1 plods along, but you can't skip it, because it introduces a bunch of characters like Garak who will be important later.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FuturePastNow posted:

DS9 season 1 plods along, but you can't skip it, because it introduces a bunch of characters like Garak who will be important later.

Oh my dear trekkie, they're all good.

Especially the bad ones.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Trent posted:

It was feeling like Enterprise going to Risa was going to be like the loving Fireworks Factory, but after three episodes they finally made it.

There is a Horgon on Archer's wall with a lit button on it. Must call room service. :wiggle:

edit: it just opens the door :(

Hah I just watched that last night.

Worst vacation ever. Except for Hoshi.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh my dear trekkie, they're all good.

Especially the bad ones.

DS9 is good even when it's bad, but that doesn't account for Move Along Home and If Wishes Were Horses which are worse than bad.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Move Along Home is great

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

bull3964 posted:

In reality, the way the transporters operate in Star Trek, they should just be able to do site-site transport for anything. Away team? Beam straight from the bridge.

They are pretty much only there for a narrative purpose. A place was needed to greet guests coming on the ship or to have goodbyes, or to group together before going down to a planet. So, the transporter room was born.

I thought site-to-site transport was something Wesley worked on in TNG. Didn't he write a special program just for that?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

V-Men posted:

I thought site-to-site transport was something Wesley worked on in TNG. Didn't he write a special program just for that?

Clearly he just stole Scotty's transwarp beaming equation. :smug:

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

V-Men posted:

He did something like that in The Game, it was just a preprogrammed thing he was doing to evade the crew while they were trying to get everyone addicted. They had Site-to-site transports in TOS. They did it on TNG too in Encounter at Farpoint,

People always say site-to-sites use twice the energy as a normal transport...anyone know if that was ever actually talked about in an episode or just a tech manual?

iraqniphobia fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 23, 2014

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

iraqniphobia posted:

He did something like that in The Game, it was just a preprogrammed thing he was doing to evade the crew while they were trying to get everyone addicted. They had Site-to-site transports in TOS. They did it on TNG too in Encounter at Farpoint,

People always say site-to-sites use twice the energy as a normal transport...anyone know if that was ever actually talked about in an episode or just a tech manual?

Oh yeah, he did say it was for emergency situations.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Move Along Home is great
I thought so too, but then I rewatched it. It's really tedious, and the ending is tepid as hell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

iraqniphobia posted:

I don't think it's every stated in an episode, but it's logical. I mean, it's gotta be like call forwarding for the transporter, right? You beam someone to your transporter buffer, then beam them to the other location without materialising them first.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

FuturePastNow posted:

DS9 is good even when it's bad, but that doesn't account for Move Along Home and If Wishes Were Horses which are worse than bad.

If we didn't have If Wishes Were Horses, Sisko would never have gotten his baseball.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I don't regret the existence of Come Along Home or If Wishes Were Horses, I just think they'd have been better used later in the series. You should be popping the "this poo poo is weird and unnatural" later on when we're used to the crew and the situation at hand. Popping them both in the first season doesn't have as much impact because we're not used to what's "normal" yet.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

mossyfisk posted:

My flatmate is watching Threshold. Oh god why

All I wanted was to tidy up my Magic the Gathering deck I never wanted this.

Janeway just told them to "open the space doors" to let out Paris' shuttle that he tweaked up to warp 9.99 in an afternoon.

The lizards are coming. I can see it. I'm going for a smoke.

Whoa, dude! Spoilers! I haven't watched it yet.

I'm going to kill myself

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It's twenty years to the day since All Good Things' aired. Yahoo interviewed Moore and Braga about it.

quote:

Moore: "The first story outline, I think, had four timelines that we were going to go back to. The fourth one, which eventually got dropped from the final teleplay, was revisiting the events of 'The Best of Both Worlds,' when Picard was taken and turned into Locutus. So originally, the finale was going to bounce between those four events. And Michael [Piller], I think, rightly said, 'It's one too many, and we want this to kind of be the beginning, middle, and end of his life.' And that kind of simplified everything, and it became much cleaner and easier to go through it from that angle."

quote:

Moore: "The great irony of it all is, we spent a year on Generations, and 'All Good Things…,' we wrote in a month. We just plowed through it, banged it out. It did not go through radical changes in the drafts. There were production changes, as always, but it was basically what we wrote, pretty close to the first or second drafts. And it turned out beautifully. It was just one of those things where it all flowed and it all came together, and we were astonished by how much people liked it, how much we liked it, how great the final product was. It exceeded your expectations of what it could be."

"And Generations was the opposite experience. Generations, we slaved over for a year; we worked it over and over and over again, and in the end it just fell short. And we were like, God… it was just such a depressing feeling of not being able to bring that one home. But we did have this other experience that was very unexpected and just clicked and became a wonderful piece."

Braga: "Here's the problem: Generations was not a Next Generation film. First Contact was. Generations was a Kirk/Picard film. So there were many masters to serve on that movie. And quite frankly, I don't think it had a good concept driving it. The concept of the two captains sounded good, but they ended up scrambling eggs together… which isn't exactly the most riveting climax you can imagine. But the concept for 'All Good Things…' was far more, I felt, cinematic than the actual movie we made. And, as I have heard many people say, 'All Good Things…' would've made a good movie. And I think they're right. It's the better script. Because it's more pure."

You also might not expect which element from an early All Good Things draft made its way into :bsg:...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is it the part where Picard is dying of breast cancer?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
"The Wounded" is on BBCA right now and I just realized this guy:

is also this guy:

Bob Gunton always plays an excellent rear end in a top hat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gunton and Ronny Cox both played against type a litle in TNG. They usually play unabashed jerks, but both of their Star Trek captains are just kinda broken dudes.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is it the part where Picard is dying of breast cancer?

It's the museum ship idea

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Hey, I'm watching that right now, it's pretty amazing.

Also, how can you revile Move Along Home and not crucify The Muse? I can watch every episode of DS9 except that one.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Meridian is my favorite DS9 episode. It's a wonderful story of love and loss, with an exceptional ending.

And there's a Gamma Quadrant story in there too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

kelvron posted:

Meridian is my favorite DS9 episode. It's a wonderful story of love and loss, with an exceptional ending.

And there's a Gamma Quadrant story in there too.

I was too busy making fun of it for being "Space Brigadoon" and the B plot is so much more entertaining. It's also a good example of Quark being a sleazebag, which is good because if there weren't times like this, he would be an unambiguous good guy and everyone would be dicks for treating him the way they do.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

iraqniphobia posted:

I vaguely remember seeing it mentioned in TOS once when Spock beamed down directly from the bridge?

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I posted about this project I was working on about a year ago here, but my small studio just launched a kickstarter for it today and I'm gonna shamelessly post it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571735034/icarus-proudbottom-starship-captain

If any of you know of Artemis Bridge Simulator, its going to be a bit like that that in a single player experience. Sorta a dialogue driven adventure game and bridge simulator with combat, exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue trees and all kinda of fun stuff.

ANYWAY, I included this thread's favorite stupid Trek joke at the end of the kickstarter video, so GO FREAKING WATCH IT.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571735034/icarus-proudbottom-starship-captain

A lil history: The first two "Icarus Proudbottom" games (Curse of the Chocolate Fountain & Teaches Typing) were actually for Something Awful Game Dev competitions!

OldSenileGuy gave me the OK to post this so please no ban I

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 24, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

The lizards are coming. I can see it. I'm going for a smoke.
Might as well enjoy your lungs' ability to process oxygen while you can before it evolves away.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apple Jax posted:

If any of you know of Artemis Bridge Simulator, its going to be a bit like that that in a single player experience. Sorta a dialogue driven adventure game and bridge simulator with combat, exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue trees and all kinda of fun stuff.

In other words, you made the Trek game I've been waiting for since about 2000? :swoon:

Jerry the science bird wearing the Spock Helmet is cracking me up so bad it's stupid. But not as stupid as that damned helmet.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Oh my god Jerry's helmet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh gently caress the spock helmet. Looks cool, but to be honest looks like a game I wouldn't play. What is it? Is it like an RPG where I tell them what to do or some sort of top down shooter asteroids something.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It looks like the starship management part of 25th Anniversary without the aiming and moving mechanic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Dark One posted:

It looks like the starship management part of 25th Anniversary without the aiming and moving mechanic.

I'd be happy if someone just made a new, year 2014 version of 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites.

gently caress it, I'm gonna go play those now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I was watching the video on my phone, but I just now noticed the giant "JERRY" on the helmet :allears:

Definitely backing now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Drone posted:

I'd be happy if someone just made a new, year 2014 version of 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites.

gently caress it, I'm gonna go play those now.

They don't make them like they used to.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh my god I love the music, and the owl, and and and :swoon:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Looks fun. I'm in.

This, on the other hand, is gonna give me nightmares.
http://bronydukat.tumblr.com

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kelvron posted:

Looks fun. I'm in.

This, on the other hand, is gonna give me nightmares.
http://bronydukat.tumblr.com

That's great

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Cojawfee posted:

Oh gently caress the spock helmet. Looks cool, but to be honest looks like a game I wouldn't play. What is it? Is it like an RPG where I tell them what to do or some sort of top down shooter asteroids something.

Definitely not an RPG. This will be an adventure game bridge simulator. There will be a plot that takes place over the whole course of the game, but the game will be made up of 'episodes' or 'missions'. Anyway, our past games have always had a heavy focus on humor! And since over the past few years I've been showing hours upon hours of Trek to my partner (who's also a goon, Polo-Rican) I think I've prepared him enough for this!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What's Digby supposed to be, anyway?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The future is now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoOcRVMIVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's Digby supposed to be, anyway?

Digby might look like he's a ghost, but he's actually a gas entity.

• Locked thread