Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Pretty sure you lagged out the game doesn't bother resynching pursuers if they've gone off rails on one of the clients. The spell is very easy to roll through but they will come around for a second pass. The single worst thing about affinity is if it bugs out and all the individual orbs launch separately so you have to block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Oblivious posted:

Easily doable. Could be lag, could be you loving up the timing. It's trivially easy to dodge which is why I never use it. It's basically worthless compared to Soulmass which fires much faster and can be prevented from firing til the right time.

I think I've hit like one guy with soul mass. I just use it to set up soul greatsword or similar.

quote:

The single worst thing about affinity is if it bugs out and all the individual orbs launch separately so you have to block it.

Oh, that's what happened to me. One after another showed up. I thought that's how it was supposed to work?

e: Holy poo poo I found a sparring partner.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

neetengie posted:

Forbidden Sun is great, and Flame Swathe is good if your opponents are bad at dodging.

Great combustion is also nice, though its range is atrocious. And I managed to get some fun out of baiting people into lingering flames, but it has an obscene cast time and costs two slots.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Is there a way to group up with specific people in this game? And can PC/PS3 people play together?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

axelsoar posted:

Is there a way to group up with specific people in this game? And can PC/PS3 people play together?

Yes to the first, no to the second. The kitty cat in Majula sells the "Name-Engraved Ring". When you put it on, you can pick from about a dozen or so "gods". Once you pick a god, only summon signs put down by people with the ring on with the same god will show up. It also extends how far up and far down the soul memory tiers you can summon!

Just don't forget to take it off after you summon/are summoned.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Colapops posted:

Because it's an anti-mage spell which basically requires that you are also a mage.

You could drop its requirements down with spices, but I think the real problem is that spells just aren't hard to dodge. It's also really easy to bait people into casting all their spells by dodging and following up with some sort of emote. You can ruin mages by just wagging your finger disapprovingly until they give up or run out of spells.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah but if you miss one roll, you die

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think it's not used the same reason a lot of status-effect spells aren't used, the most powerful debuff you can cast on someone is "killing them", and there are a lot of spells that do that by themselves without having to pair with something else.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So what's a good way to handle the Ironclad Knights and the red phantom over by the Sinner's Rest bonfire at Forest of Fallen Giants? I really want that phantom's equipment but I'm getting really sick of dealing barely anything to their life bars and taking a good chunk of time per run through.

unnamed
May 5, 2005
charooga
Anyone have any suggestions for more "fun"/tactical dual-wield options for a pure melee build? I don't care about damage at all, nor PvP really, just going for the "gently caress your un-Souls magic" route and looking for weapons that are enjoyable to use while dual-wielding (both in and out of power stance). Unfortunately I'm pretty well burnt out on DkS1 stand-by movesets like the claymore.
Currently mostly using LH - Warped Sword/Poison Manikin Sabre, and RH - Rapier (for RH parry and good crit damage when I'm feeling lazy) / Mytha's Bent Blade.

Note: I made this character to take a break from my whip/dagger utility-spells-only char in NG+ (Cotillion/Dancer, not Castlevania :v:), so that's sort of off the table

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have no idea what I did but on my ng+ character Firestorm is now the most powerful spell I have, instead of Great Resonant Soul. :stare:

Also it's finally getting me duels! So many I have no more tokens. I won 9 fights out of 10, losing to a guy in ironclad armor with an invisible santier's spear and avelyn thanks to those special rings.

quote:

Note: I made this character to take a break from my whip/dagger utility-spells-only char in NG+ (Cotillion/Dancer, not Castlevania ), so that's sort of off the table

Double poison caestus + moon butterfly cuffs and some sort of buff is stupid fun until you hit a guy who has enough poise to not give a poo poo. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Domattee posted:

PThe single worst thing about affinity is if it bugs out and all the individual orbs launch separately so you have to block it.

That's not a bug. It does that (= becomes unpredictable) if the caster does not lock on and many people use it intentionally to keep opponents guessing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

My friend swears by dual-wielding falchions and becoming a human blender. Bring repair powder and extras.

unnamed
May 5, 2005
charooga

Cowcaster posted:

My friend swears by dual-wielding falchions and becoming a human blender. Bring repair powder and extras.

Yeah, the curved sword moveset is definitely my favorite, I try to stick to it when I can. I just realized I never tried the Spider's Fang, how is it in a dual-wield setup (RH, presumably)?

VVVVVV Black Witch's Hat gives 1 spell slot

unnamed fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 23, 2014

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Profound still is incredible, so many mages have no idea how to handle it and just panic and die. Especially at lower soul memory.

Is there anything other than attunement/southern ritual band that can increase your spell slots? I have 13 but there's 14 slots on the attune spells menu and it's bothering me so much

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
With 50/50/50 int/faith/atn should I use Homing Crystal Soul Mass or Affinity?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tetracube posted:

Profound still is incredible, so many mages have no idea how to handle it and just panic and die. Especially at lower soul memory.

Is there anything other than attunement/southern ritual band that can increase your spell slots? I have 13 but there's 14 slots on the attune spells menu and it's bothering me so much

Nope, but like most rings the southern ritual band also comes in +1 and +2 flavors.

edit: I AM A LIAR

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Tetracube posted:

The Black Witch Hats adds an extra spell slot as well.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I was doing really bad with my new game so I went back to my first character, stomped the poo poo out of the AI enemies that were giving me a hard time, and tried out some different weapons. I love me my Clubs but they're a bit unwieldy for PVP, so I thought about some gimmicks after getting the Ruin Sentinel pieces (except the legs :cry:). I didn't really do too well as clang clang bellcop with the +10 Lucerne, so I tried a +5 Fire Black Knight Halberd that people were gushing about, and, well, a lot of people just kept rolling right into the spin-to-win attack, it's absurd.

Then I played around with the King's Ultra Greatsword and it's pretty funny smooshing people's legs into pudding with a giant statue(?) using the 2hand roll attack.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

TGLT posted:

You could drop its requirements down with spices, but I think the real problem is that spells just aren't hard to dodge. It's also really easy to bait people into casting all their spells by dodging and following up with some sort of emote. You can ruin mages by just wagging your finger disapprovingly until they give up or run out of spells.

The range on Profound Still is still sufficient to catch most people, who typically only back away to stay out of Chaos Tempest/Heavenly Thunder/Darkstorm range.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Which is the better area of effect hex for pvp, darkstorm or scraps of life?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I just got to the Black Gulch.

gently caress this place.

Seriously, I just did the gauntlet of poison statues in the gutter, what the hell.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I'm pretty sure Darkstorm is just straight-out better than Scraps of Life in the way that Chaos Tempest is better than Firestorm.

edit: in the sense of damage, I am aware that Darkstorm and Scraps of Life do not function in the same manner

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I dodged all the poison and then an invader toxic clouds me

gently caress

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Well, Darkstorm roots you in place for its duration.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah, that is true. Scraps of Life roots you in place for the actual casting, but then it lingers around for a few seconds while you can run away. In that sense it doesn't work like the Firestorm family of spells.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I know it's kind of been done, but seriously. Does anyone have any tips for the dudes in amana who can shoot you with homing missiles across the whole goddamn level? There's not even any cover for the latter half of the stretch before the third bonfire, and there's like four of them camping the gate. I'm playing magic and even with the ranged attacks, it's a nightmare. I don't even have the ability to zoom in like if I had a bow, which was the only way I've managed to do it on my melee characters. I feel like a fish in a barrel.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo. Sacred Oath seems absurdly overpriced, slot wise. I'd much rather trade those slots in for more spells and such.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

I know it's kind of been done, but seriously. Does anyone have any tips for the dudes in amana who can shoot you with homing missiles across the whole goddamn level? There's not even any cover for the latter half of the stretch before the third bonfire, and there's like four of them camping the gate. I'm playing magic and even with the ranged attacks, it's a nightmare. I don't even have the ability to zoom in like if I had a bow, which was the only way I've managed to do it on my melee characters.

Go get the binoculars in Majula and use lightning spear/great lightning spear

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Since someone brought it up earlier, wasn't this game originally going to have light and heavy attack versions of spells, instead of just swinging your catalyst? And two-handing them? Whatever happened to that?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

I know it's kind of been done, but seriously. Does anyone have any tips for the dudes in amana who can shoot you with homing missiles across the whole goddamn level? There's not even any cover for the latter half of the stretch before the third bonfire, and there's like four of them camping the gate. I'm playing magic and even with the ranged attacks, it's a nightmare. I don't even have the ability to zoom in like if I had a bow, which was the only way I've managed to do it on my melee characters. I feel like a fish in a barrel.

Poison arrows.

Also, you can dodge those bolts just by walking sideways, you don't even need to roll.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 23, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Colapops posted:

Yeah, that is true. Scraps of Life roots you in place for the actual casting, but then it lingers around for a few seconds while you can run away. In that sense it doesn't work like the Firestorm family of spells.

I'm pretty sure every time I died to Navlaan it was because he managed to finish casting Darkstorm just before I backstabbed him and being forced to eat the entire thing was enough to kill me outright even with the damage reduction. This isn't really a response to anything but the talk about being locked in place for the spell's duration made me think about it.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 23, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Got Skullface rare drop from phantom without trying for it, then got another hexer weapon soon after, decided it was a sign and respecced my STR/FTH guy into this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Decided to attune climax while I farm sunlight medals at Demon of Song. Can't wait to see the damage it does but not getting any summons tonight which is a pity

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Jose posted:

Decided to attune climax while I farm sunlight medals at Demon of Song. Can't wait to see the damage it does but not getting any summons tonight which is a pity
Damage caps out at 5000 souls, hope you don't waste more than that! :v:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Sup fashion souls?

It was a while back, but what helmet is this?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

david... posted:

It was a while back, but what helmet is this?
I think it's the Mastodon helmet, drops from the huge elephant dudes.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

neetengie posted:

I think it's the Mastodon helmet, drops from the huge elephant dudes.

Oh yeah I'm dumb, I have this, it just looked weird/better at that angle.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Why you would use Darkstorm or Scraps of Life over the Super Duper Firestorm is beyond me, I mean they look positively anaemic in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

neetengie posted:

Damage caps out at 5000 souls, hope you don't waste more than that! :v:

Get 6500 every time I beat demon of song so its not a huge waste