Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009
I know this isnt really the right thread for this but it still seems like the closest match:

Is there a recommended android Manga reader? The one I've been using has kinda poo poo the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I use Perfect Viewer. Might help if you said what you were using.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Oh sorry, I meant for online readers. I've been using Manga Watcher which has been decent with letting me know when the series I follow have updated and stuff like that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Try Mango reader. It isn't on the market and I dunno if it's still being developed, but it works really well. Only problem is that it doesn't have great sources for reading stuff online.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Does it notify you about updates? Thats the main thing I like, its really easy to see everything that has new chapters.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, you can tell it to create a notification when a new chapter is available. Most of the manga I read are sporadically translated so it's very useful to get a reminder.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If there's an android version of Manga Storm, that's the iOS one I use, and its pretty good. It pulls from Batoto and a few other decent sites, and can do the notify thing.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Looking for a anime/manga/LN with a horribly overpowered MC that's stuck in a setting where he can't use his powers most of the time (like Mahouka's). Preferrably fantasy or sci-fi setting. I've read one punch man.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, you can tell it to create a notification when a new chapter is available. Most of the manga I read are sporadically translated so it's very useful to get a reminder.

Mango is by far the best manga app for android, I tried a bunch of different ones because there were a couple of weeks earlier in the year that Mango stopped working and they were terrible.

I didnt know you could get it to check for updates and notify you, thats really cool.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Brasseye posted:

Mango is by far the best manga app for android, I tried a bunch of different ones because there were a couple of weeks earlier in the year that Mango stopped working and they were terrible.

I didnt know you could get it to check for updates and notify you, thats really cool.
It's fast and convenient, but I wish it had better sources (if it could grab stuff from Batoto I'd be very happy).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KaneTW posted:

Looking for a anime/manga/LN with a horribly overpowered MC that's stuck in a setting where he can't use his powers most of the time (like Mahouka's). Preferrably fantasy or sci-fi setting. I've read one punch man.

You need to watch Dai Mahou Touge right the gently caress now.

The Problem Children are coming from another world, aren't they? is also okay.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Wark Say posted:

The Problem Children are coming from another world, aren't they? is also okay.

I kinda liked that one too. Is there anything else like this?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dog Days, I guess? Neither of the two break any new ground, but they are both pretty fun in that turn-your-brain-off way. Dog Days has a silly amount of super recognizable voice actors, which kinda baffles the mind taking into account just how dang :3: the show is.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
So I am going to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars, my first entry into LOGH. Could someone write some cool spoilers of things to look forward to in this anime? Whats its main appeal? I am assuming its a soap opera, at the least are the fight scenes bad rear end ?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The fights are strategic as gently caress. The characters are overwhelmingly human. The politics and skullduggery are outstanding.

It is a space opera, not a soap opera.

Everything ties together extremely well, and the compassionate and utterly cruel acts certain characters condone makes it much more brutal. There is an episode on this series's history that wouldn't be out of place on the history channel before it went to poo poo.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 22, 2014

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've recently really gotten into watching a lot of anime, and there are a couple of (somewhat overlapping) themes that I really like:
1. Character development with a backdrop of violence. Black Lagoon was absolutely beautiful.
2. Justice, law and law enforcement, police, criminal conspiracies, the line between justice and revenge, etc. My favorite characters in Death Note were the police investigators.
3. Human struggle against overwhelming adversity. I enjoyed NGE, Attack on Titan, and Gurren Lagann.

I'd appreciate any recommendations along these lines. I'm already watching Cowboy Bebop, and plan to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so there's no need to recommend those. The only caveat I have is that I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to certain "horror" elements, so I don't want to watch anything with zombies or ghosts or such things.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

VostokProgram posted:

I've recently really gotten into watching a lot of anime, and there are a couple of (somewhat overlapping) themes that I really like:
1. Character development with a backdrop of violence. Black Lagoon was absolutely beautiful.
2. Justice, law and law enforcement, police, criminal conspiracies, the line between justice and revenge, etc. My favorite characters in Death Note were the police investigators.
3. Human struggle against overwhelming adversity. I enjoyed NGE, Attack on Titan, and Gurren Lagann.

You should probably watch Psycho-Pass!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

You should probably watch Psycho-Pass!

Seconding this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah that's possibly the best request-recommendation match I've seen in this thread's entire history.

You might also enjoy Jormungand and Paranoia Agent, but watch Psycho-Pass first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VostokProgram posted:

I'd appreciate any recommendations along these lines. I'm already watching Cowboy Bebop, and plan to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so there's no need to recommend those. The only caveat I have is that I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to certain "horror" elements, so I don't want to watch anything with zombies or ghosts or such things.

Thirding Psycho-Pass, and you should also try Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for something similar.

Incidentally if you're in Australia, Madman's complete Blu-Ray collection of Psycho-Pass is surprisingly worth the price. The soundtrack included is actually the full two-disc affair instead of the usual sampler disc you get with these kinds of things.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Psycho-pass sounds really cool, I'll try it out. Thanks, thread!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should really watch GITS:SAC too. Definitely one of the better series of any genre.

If nothing else, if the storyline episodes don't grab you, watch the Stand Alone episodes which are self-contained.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

VostokProgram posted:

Along with Psycho-Pass and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, you should also watch Birdy the Mighty.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys, thanks for all the recommendations.
I will check out Binbougami Ga, Nichijou and FMP: Fumoffu.
I checked the first two episodes of Binbougami Ga and it's not bad but not super funny yet.

I didn't mention this show but I love it and this is one of my favourite gags from it. Thanks!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is Watamote good? I like the concept of "dark comedy about how much of a neurotic trainwreck the protagonist is", and the first episode seems decent enough. However I don't have much experience with moe/slice of life poo poo, so I basically have nothing to compare it to. What did people around here think of it?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 23, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Is Watamote good?

I don't personally think so but it's a p.dark and awkward comedy that apparently reminded a lot of goons of themselves so watch it if that's what floats your boat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I read a pretty sizeable chunk of the manga, generally enjoying it but hoping for an Onani Master Kurosawa sort of development eventually. That never came so I wound up dropping it eventually because it gets fairly repetitive.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you liked the first episode of Watamote keep watching, it only gets better at what it does. The show isn't really comparable to Moe/SoL stuff, except for maybe the weird mix of time passing while the characters don't change at all. If you're expecting some kind of character redemption or growth for Tomoko you might be disappointed, as the story avoids that while somehow managing to keep exploring new places.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Is Watamote good? I like the concept of "dark comedy about how much of a neurotic trainwreck the protagonist is", and the first episode seems decent enough. However I don't have much experience with moe/slice of life poo poo, so I basically have nothing to compare it to. What did people around here think of it?

How you felt about the first episode is probably how you'll feel about the show as a whole.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Want to say first that I just finished Outlaw Star and it was pretty great. I loved it.

I've been watching the four episode show Dai Mahou Touge and I find it pretty darn amusing. The best I could describe it in tone would be part Puella Magi Madoka and part Nichijou, and that tone is contained in a show similar to Sailor Moon or *other magical fairy princess girl* show. Silly, goofy fun.

It's on youtube, actually. ep. 01 ep. 02 ep. 03 ep. 04

It's not at all complicated or deep, but I like it, and at four twenty-two minute episodes it's hard to say no. It's a really silly but serious (and violent) show about a magical princess who has to live on earth for a year before she's recognized as being a suitable heir to the kingdom. People are trying to kill her, and she makes some friends, and maybe they try to kill her, too.

This is a video in the show early on that I think captures the humor somewhat well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzEQ1n7EHPM

It's all very over the top and fun. It's short enough that it doesn't feel like it's dragging on at all.

the strangely amusing theme song posted:

Spin that princess rod
She has descended from the land of magic
Spin that magical stick
pleased to meet you Princess Punie Tanaka

Lightning, sweep, exterminate,
use your powers and rule the world.
Don't trust those kind words and nice smiles.

Musical Weapon, kill them all.
I will take you to the land of paradise.
Musical Weapon, kill them all.
There's only one way to survive,
and that is to fight.

There is only one path that leads to supremacy,
and that is by fighting.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 24, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you like Dai Mahou Touge you should check out some of the other comedies Mizushima Tsutomu has directed. Particularly Hare+Guu, Plastic Nee-san, Azazel-san and Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thanks. Plastic Neesan was :airquote:all right:airquote: and I really didn't like Azazel-san at all.

I'm going to check out the bludgeoning angel one, just for kicks. Thanks for that recommendation. We'll see how it goes. All these new-weird comedies are so hit or miss.

I was given Sket Dance so I'm going to run with that before anything else. I've heard good things.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Drifter posted:

I'm going to check out the bludgeoning angel one, just for kicks. Thanks for that recommendation. We'll see how it goes. All these new-weird comedies are so hit or miss.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is one of my guilty anime pleasures. While it's not as dark as Azazel, the tone is similar and there's alot of naughty humour, so if that's what turned you off, be forewarned.

Oh, and repeated, gory murder.

Oh, and just watch the older, 4 episode mini-series. The followup full series was frankly terrible.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 24, 2014

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Hey so, I've enjoying my halfway summer vacation and watching netflix. Stumbled across Attack on Titan! which OWNS, finished it and read the manga which ALSO OWNS and I'm sorta feeling an anime itch, but I've got some questions:

1) How do I know what series to watch in sub vs dub? The only anime stuff i've watched dubbed are like Pokemon and Yugioh, back when they aired on saturday mornings. The subbed stuff is enjoyable to me in the series I've watched so far, which are mostly stuff like:
-black lagoon
-Cowboy Bebop
-AoT
-5 CM per second
-FMA/FMAB
-Beserk
-most of the miyazaki stuff, although i've seen these dubbed too and they were fine, but they all had Big Name Actors which I assume aren't present in other dubs.

Since so far I've stuck with mostly actiony stuff (minus 5CM per second) I'm worried that there's like depth of expression i'm not getting that makes comedic/more serious shows less impactful if i were to watch them subbed or whatever. Any advice on this kinda thing?

2) Stuff I want to watch, based on some reading in this thread
-LGH
-Baccano
-Jojo's Bizzare adventure

Any other recommendations? I've heard good things about Sword Art Online but the premise has scared me off a bit. I like the action type stuff I've posted, but i'm not opposed to branching out at all, and that might be fun :3

3) I'd like a separate recommendations for watching Anime with other people who aren't particularly into anime. My gf and roommates have seen stuff like miyazaki films and the odd series here or there when they were younger (Bebop mostly, that show is loving everywhere), but haven't really dipped their toe into other stuff. I'd like for this to be lighter and more fun for groups to enjoy than something like Berserk which i'm sure would convince them to "never watch this poo poo again".

Thanks y'all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Stick with subs for the most part. Most American dubs are done as fast and cheaply as possible, and while there's some likable stuff out there's only a handful of cases where the dub is better than the sub. That's not to say Japanese voice acting pays well or anything, but there's some really talented folks in the business who use voice acting to promote other carriers and the like.

As for missing some depth because you don't know Japanese, (hahahah depth hahahahhah) it's less than you think. Anime goes for broad emotions so as long as you get the gist from the subs and match it to the tone they're using you'll enjoy it just as much. This'll get easier to do the more you watch anime.

You might find something that's hard to follow that you wish you knew Japanese in order to enjoy (like my avatar's source, The Tatami Galaxy), but those are just as hard to follow for Japanese speakers.

The one thing dubs are good for is watching something with someone who isn't already into anime. The good news is that just about anything you enjoyed subbed will likely be enjoyable dubbed as well, so let that guide you.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jowj posted:

Hey so, I've enjoying my halfway summer vacation and watching netflix. Stumbled across Attack on Titan! which OWNS, finished it and read the manga which ALSO OWNS and I'm sorta feeling an anime itch, but I've got some questions:

1) How do I know what series to watch in sub vs dub? The only anime stuff i've watched dubbed are like Pokemon and Yugioh, back when they aired on saturday mornings. The subbed stuff is enjoyable to me in the series I've watched so far, which are mostly stuff like:
-black lagoon
-Cowboy Bebop
-AoT
-5 CM per second
-FMA/FMAB
-Beserk
-most of the miyazaki stuff, although i've seen these dubbed too and they were fine, but they all had Big Name Actors which I assume aren't present in other dubs.

Google it for some kind of consensus, or watch an episode with both and see which you prefer. For what it's worth, my list of animes that are improved by the dub is pretty small. It's literally just FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, and Space Dandy. Baccano's dub wasn't bad at all either, but I preferred Isaac and Miria's voice actors in japanese so that's what I watched.

Jowj posted:

2) Stuff I want to watch, based on some reading in this thread
-LGH
-Baccano
-Jojo's Bizzare adventure

Any other recommendations? I've heard good things about Sword Art Online but the premise has scared me off a bit. I like the action type stuff I've posted, but i'm not opposed to branching out at all, and that might be fun :3

Those are all really good. As a "follow-up" to Baccano (if you like it and you will), you could also check out Durarara!!
Otherwise, check out Darker than Black, Space Dandy, and Fate/Zero.

Jowj posted:

3) I'd like a separate recommendations for watching Anime with other people who aren't particularly into anime. My gf and roommates have seen stuff like miyazaki films and the odd series here or there when they were younger (Bebop mostly, that show is loving everywhere), but haven't really dipped their toe into other stuff. I'd like for this to be lighter and more fun for groups to enjoy than something like Berserk which i'm sure would convince them to "never watch this poo poo again".

Thanks y'all.

Daily Lives of High School Boys was a pretty big hit when I showed it to people who weren't really into anime. It's inoffensive and fun. Other people will probably also recommend stuff like Cromartie High School, or depending on your audience, something more serious like Tatami Galaxy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jowj posted:

I've heard good things about Sword Art Online but the premise has scared me off a bit.

SAO's premise is fine, although it goes in some bad directions halfway through.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Baccano's dub improves it massively, IMO. Black Lagoon's dub isn't bad but isn't really an improvement. FMA: Brotherhood, likewise - it's not bad, it's just not better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jowj posted:

It's not foolproof but you could give this a look: http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Depending on the group, you could try Usagi Drop's anime. It's honestly one of the most flawless transitions of a manga into an anime, and completely cuts out the manga stuff where it takes a nosedive and retroactively ruins itself, instead ending on an optimistic high note. It's also super duper cute and 100% fanserviceless. It might be too laid-back for a group viewing if they want something actioney or something, but at the very least it's worth watching yourself. Just don't touch the manga, it's bad, trust me. Might be a good show to watch just with the GF, mine loved it. It's on Crunchyroll.

It's about a late 30's single dude adopting a deceased relative's daughter and raising her.

• Locked thread