Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

grahm posted:

For all of you kettle people: this kettle rules. Control is as good as the Takahiro, but it has a better handle and is way cheaper. I've made about a million cups of coffee with it and have yet to find anything better. The fact that it's only $45 is icing on the cake.

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#level-pour-over-kettle-narrow-spout

It wouldn't surprise me if that's made in the same factory as the Takahiro kettles. Other than the handles and the very tip of the spout, it looks almost identical. Have you seen a larger one? I'm looking for a ~1.5L pot for my bit Chemex batches, instead of the two-kettle shuffle that I currently do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

grahm posted:

For all of you kettle people: this kettle rules. Control is as good as the Takahiro, but it has a better handle and is way cheaper. I've made about a million cups of coffee with it and have yet to find anything better. The fact that it's only $45 is icing on the cake.

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#level-pour-over-kettle-narrow-spout

Oooh this is very tempting. Any comparison to the wave kettle?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like the Fino Kettle which Able used to sell

http://www.amazon.com/Fino-Kettle-Narrow-Spout-japan/dp/B000EVPGSQ

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 23, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'm nearly out of coffee and SM has no Guatemalan in stock. What to do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ded posted:

I'm nearly out of coffee and SM has no Guatemalan in stock. What to do.

Grab a sampler pack and find another region you like?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

nwin posted:

Grab a sampler pack and find another region you like?

The selection is very small right now. Guess I picked a bad time to need more beans.

But ya I ordered an 8lb sampler anyways. Don't have time to drive to Oakland during the day right now.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

becoming posted:

Have you seen a larger one?

I haven't.

dik-dik posted:

Any comparison to the wave kettle?

I haven't used the wave, sorry!

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like the Fino Kettle which Able used to sell

It's actually pretty different than the Fino! More controlled pour rate and better balance. Also the lid stays on better! I have a few Finos and like them, but this one is even better (especially for a brew method that requires a really slow and controlled pour, like the Kone).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Since I'm apparently incapable of self-restraint when it comes to coffee gear, I now have a Hario V60 02 as well as an 01, and I'm wondering this: Since they both have the same cone angle (and thus the 02 could take filters from either the 01 or the 02), what's the point of the 01?

I know the 02 has a larger hole, but in from my experience, I don't think the actual filter cone is what's preventing the coffee from dripping out—it's the filter itself, so the size of the hole shouldn't really matter.

Anyone done any comparisons in using the 02 dripper with 01 filters and seen what happens?

Also I feel silly as hell doing it (especially since I usually brew about 250 mL of coffee into a 600 mL server) but even when I'm just brewing for myself, I love using my glass server.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Japanese people like cute small things I guess

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
The Aeropress makes fricken amazing coffee. There is so much more flavor to it than my Kalita Wave. I don't know if my grind is wrong with the Wave (anywhere from 18-22) but the Aeropress stuff is so bold. It actually tastes like the bag says it tastes like. It's unbelievably good, and it's even less effort than the Wave. I just got my Craft Coffee subscription for the month and tried out one of the new batches and it was PHENOMENAL. So much flavor I can still taste it. Man, if it wasn't 8pm I'd probably be making a cup of the other two roasts I got. So. Good.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nice! What brew technique are you using with the Aeropress?

Also, for some reason, of the three methods of brewing I've done so far (CCD, Wave, and V60), the wave actually seems the most finicky for me and most prone to error.

E: Also, oh god, someone on Amazon is recommending reusing the aeropress paper filters

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 25, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The paperwork that comes with the Aeropress actually says that exact thing. It even gives you instruction on how best to flatten your used filters after you've rinsed them off.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

quote:

RE-USING MICRO-FILTERS:
Two thousand filters use about as much paper as one city newspaper, so you needn't feel guilty about discarding filters. But you can also re-use each filter many times just by brushing it off under running water. The choice is up to you. When re-using a filter, remove the plunger and twist the cap containing the wet filter onto the chamber. This will keep it flat as it dries and you'll be ready for the next pressing.

There are people on Reddit who use a single Aeropress filter 10 times to save money :gonk:

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Nice! What brew technique are you using with the Aeropress?

I don't even do inverted. I haven't been ballsy enough to try that yet, but I've thought about it. I use a 10 grind on my Virtuoso, ~17g of coffee and ~280g of water. Get water up to 205F with electric Bonavita kettle, pour it slowly over the grounds to wet them as little as possible at first, timing it with my phone. I pour faster once the grounds have been wet and usually around the 30sec point the tube is full, so I put the plunger on/in it to create suction so it doesn't drain. Then around the 1min-1m10s mark I'll take the plunger off, add the rest of my water, then start plunging. I usually finish compressing it around the 1m50s-2min mark. Makes great coffee.

Also, the thought of reusing Aeropress filters, let alone multiple times, makes me shudder.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Like if you want to reuse filters to save money, just buy a drat metal one holy lord.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Like if you want to reuse filters to save money, just buy a drat metal one holy lord.

The filters are pretty drat cheap though. $4 for 350 filters. I mean, you can friggin compost them if you feel so bad about your waste. If you drink one a day, that's pretty much a year supply.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

mr. yolk posted:

The filters are pretty drat cheap though. $4 for 350 filters. I mean, you can friggin compost them if you feel so bad about your waste. If you drink one a day, that's pretty much a year supply.

It's still pretty much a year supply if you drink 10 a day and reuse them.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Have you Behmor folks seen this? http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/666517

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

mr. yolk posted:

Reusing them is nuts. There's no excuse.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes. Buying that upgrade kit yesterday.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Having full control over the times will remove me having to game it to get an extra 1-2 minutes in, cool.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hi coffee thread! It's hot now so I made a big jug of cold brew and it's great. Does anyone have an easier, and less spill prone, way to filter out the grinds from a container that doesn't pour so well? I first used a fine strainer into a bowl, cleaned out the chug, and took out my drip machines metal filter and put it on top of the jug and ladeled the coffee through. This worked but it took a pretty long time and I lost a bit in transferring.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Hi coffee thread! It's hot now so I made a big jug of cold brew and it's great. Does anyone have an easier, and less spill prone, way to filter out the grinds from a container that doesn't pour so well? I first used a fine strainer into a bowl, cleaned out the chug, and took out my drip machines metal filter and put it on top of the jug and ladeled the coffee through. This worked but it took a pretty long time and I lost a bit in transferring.

Get a large cheap filtercone (e.g. a Hario V60 02 or 03)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doh004 posted:

I've been straining mine through a sieve first, and then running it through my Clever dripper. It takes a while for it to filter through but it works well enough.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

BraveUlysses posted:

I've been straining mine through a sieve first, and then running it through my Clever dripper. It takes a while for it to filter through but it works well enough.

This is basically how I do it. It does take a while, though if you're changing out filters instead of reusing them for the whole batch in the ccd it takes less time.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's the thread's opinion on sweeteners in coffee? I know this is probably heretical but I've still yet to find a drink as delicious as strongly brewed coffee with a bit of raw sugar to sweeten it up a bit.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

dik-dik posted:

What's the thread's opinion on sweeteners in coffee? I know this is probably heretical but I've still yet to find a drink as delicious as strongly brewed coffee with a bit of raw sugar to sweeten it up a bit.

How dare you? :getout:

I like coconut sugar in my cold brew with milk.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

dik-dik posted:

I honestly can't find a reason to put anything in my home roasted coffee. I always thought that milk/sugar are used to mask and hide bitter/sour flavors, in fact I put milk and sugar in every cup of coffee I drank up until I started roasting.. Now it seems a bit silly to put so much effort into roasting/brewing, and then putting something in to hide the flavor.

Obviously it's all personal preference and there's no right way, but I'd be personally offended if you put milk and sugar in my home roasted coffee :)

P.S. This Sumatra Toba Batak Peaberry I got in my most recent sample pack is one of the best beans I've ever tasted. The aroma is amazing.

edit: cold brew is a different story

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 27, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

dik-dik posted:

If I'm making coffee to drink in the morning, it's likely freshly ground, ccd or french press, and I will drink it black.

If I'm making coffee to drink after dinner (or some other time) I will mess around with sweeteners/milk because it's more of a dessert/snack coffee in my mind. Raw sugar is absolutely great in coffee, I prefer it, but I don't use sugar enough to bother buying it most of the time. If I'm making decaf coffee, it's going to have those in it because man, it's not like decaf coffee is going to be fantastic black no matter what I do. Cold brew almost always has sugar in it, at least a little. I don't always do milk though, it depends on what flavors come through in that cold brew, because sometimes milk just masks absolutely everything for me when it's cold.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Google Butt posted:

I honestly can't find a reason to put anything in my home roasted coffee. I always thought that milk/sugar are used to mask and hide bitter/sour flavors, in fact I put milk and sugar in every cup of coffee I drank up until I started roasting.. Now it seems a bit silly to put so much effort into roasting/brewing, and then putting something in to hide the flavor.

Obviously it's all personal preference and there's no right way, but I'd be personally offended if you put milk and sugar in my home roasted coffee :)

P.S. This Sumatra Toba Batak Peaberry I got in my most recent sample pack is one of the best beans I've ever tasted. The aroma is amazing.

edit: cold brew is a different story

I go black coffee and have since I was like 14, it confuses me any other way. Also I got that in the sampler with my FreshRoast as well and am liking it (did up a good batch to a C+ yesterday), though my favorite from the sampler (that I've used so far) is the Brazilian Conquista which is just delicious and also it's gone from SM.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
I've settle on a decent combo for my wave 155. 19g/290ml, #20 on my virtuoso, and 202-203f. I'll do a 45 second bloom then continuous pour. Total brew time is around 2m 30s. It's been interesting to see how just a few degrees of temp diff will make a big difference in taming sourness or bitterness. Keeping a log helped a lot.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Bronze posted:

I've settle on a decent combo for my wave 155. 19g/290ml, #20 on my virtuoso, and 202-203f. I'll do a 45 second bloom then continuous pour. Total brew time is around 2m 30s. It's been interesting to see how just a few degrees of temp diff will make a big difference in taming sourness or bitterness. Keeping a log helped a lot.

I'll have to give this a spin sometime this week. Seems like a lot of coffee for not a lot of water though, could almost underextract it with those brew times.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Google Butt posted:

How do you roast yours? I made a cup today and didn't think it was that great. Way too sour for my taste.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

mr. yolk posted:

I'll have to give this a spin sometime this week. Seems like a lot of coffee for not a lot of water though, could almost underextract it with those brew times.

Ratios posted online are all over the board. I think I'll try 19g/310g next since that's around the average of what I've seen. The only entry in my log close to this was done with a finer #18 grind and I noted it was "bitter".

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

dik-dik posted:

How do you roast yours? I made a cup today and didn't think it was that great. Way too sour for my taste.

Behmor. It's actually a very mellow cup. Sour is most likely caused by a mistake in the roasting or brewing process. Very rarely is it the bean itself, especially from SM's.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Behmor. It's actually a very mellow cup. Sour is most likely caused by a mistake in the roasting or brewing process. Very rarely is it the bean itself, especially from SM's.

Yeah, I should've clarified. I'm assuming I hosed up in the roast somehow. Gonna tinker around with this drat popcorn popper a bit more and if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll be joining the HGDB club. But the lazy goon in me is really leaning towards just buying a Behmor or FreshRoast or something.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 27, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, I should've clarified. I'm assuming I hosed up in the roast somehow.

How are you roasting and brewing? Was it just this bean that tasted sour?

Edit: oh. Cut your losses and get the hgdb for sure.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

What I've been doing lately is using a big Melitta #6 cone & filters, specifically this brewer and this bulk package of filters. As long as I'm fairly careful and don't let the grounds slosh out, I don't lose any. It probably takes about a minute or so to pour, and the cone holds an entire batch. I'll then fold the filter over and press out any concentrate that I can. Sometimes I'll let it sit and drip for 10-15 minutes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Foamy cappucino's in the morning, straight shots in the afternoons. Like the Italians. :italy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I'm in need of some help goons.
What's the cheapest "still decent" route I can go for espresso? I live both regular coffee and espresso, but espresso wins because of the less water content. (And thus less bathroom trips. I use a wheelchair, so starting out the morning with a few "cups" of coffee makes for a rather unproductive day.)
I have a lovely blade grinder (actually just a Magic Bullet) and a shittier Mr. Coffee drip right now. I'm basically starting from nada.