Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

As someone who wasted a depressing amount of time killing the painting guardian repeatedly to get the monastery scimitar, I can't even fathom going for the Mad Warrior. That way madness lies.

I got the entire monastery set (including the scimitar), the Mad Warrior really isn't as bad. You don't have to ascetic, and you can just kinda space out and watch TV while running back and forth from the bonfire to the Belfry until you see him spawned. You have to get to and kill the guardian dragon every time you want to spawn the painting guardian :psypop:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

The music really makes this scene.

Yeah. Here I was expecting some kind of battle against a man driven mad with fear and instead... just another hollow.

The curse consumes us all in the end. :smith:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Iretep posted:

Some times when I feel especially mean I go and co-op the bellfry gargs and use bat staff spray to keep the horrible bell protectors away from the host.

gently caress poison. Seriously.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

panda clue posted:

I got the entire monastery set (including the scimitar), the Mad Warrior really isn't as bad. You don't have to ascetic, and you can just kinda space out and watch TV while running back and forth from the bonfire to the Belfry until you see him spawned. You have to get to and kill the guardian dragon every time you want to spawn the painting guardian :psypop:.

Not really, you can just do what I did and backup your save, then replace your main with the backup every time the guardian doesn't drop the piece you need. It's probably faster than killing NG7 guardian dragon an uncountable number of times.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kaldaris posted:

The music really makes this scene.

It wasn't quite as effective as when you fight Gwyn for the first time but it did make me feel bad for the dude, especially once you put together that the Shrine of Amana was more than likely built and installed with the Milfanito to prevent Nashandra from having access to the Throne of Want. He didn't realize what the queen was until it was far too late and brought doom upon his people. Vendrick's probably one of the more sympathetic characters in the series, next to Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland IMO.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
I've got this crazy idea of trying to see how far I can get with a Dex build while keeping my equipment weight below 10%. Once I hit infusions, though, what do I need to know about making poison and/or bleed viable? I've been seeing mention here and there about something that helps bleed in some way.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

My memory never seems to go up more than 2-3k even when he spawns, so I really don't know how I'm supposed to tell whether he's there or not without going up and down the ladder over and over again and spending even more time.

Try turning Model Quality to High and set high quality character rendering for all characters. I have around a 15-30MB jump when he spawns and the area has been cleared out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zero Initiative posted:

I've got this crazy idea of trying to see how far I can get with a Dex build while keeping my equipment weight below 10%. Once I hit infusions, though, what do I need to know about making poison and/or bleed viable? I've been seeing mention here and there about something that helps bleed in some way.

For poison you want a weapon that hits particularly fast and ideally has poison built in already. Spotted whip is great for this, as is Ricard's Rapier.

Don't use bleed, it's terrible. There are things you can do to make bleed proc more often, but nothing will salvage the fact that its effects don't last long and it deals jack poo poo for damage.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I don't know why I keep hearing rumblings about pyromancy being bad for PvP. My pure pyromancer is far and away my best PvP character and I own bones with her despite generally being worthless at Dark Souls.

Lingering Flame a time or two, Flame Swathe at them, bam victory. If they're smart enough to not dodge the Swathe right into the Lingering Flame, their movement is restricted as long as you stay somewhat near it. Wait for them to attack, roll right the gently caress into them, punish with Fire Whip.

If they're super aggressive then lay down a Fire/Tempest/Chaos Storm. Most people will gently caress off a bit after you use it once. If they jump in and hit you all the better because it kicks you out of the casting animation early so you can go Flame Whip at them as they get back up off the ground from the AoE hit. A Chaos Storm followed by a Flame Whip will end pretty much anybody's day unless you really mistime the Whip and only hit them with the tail end of it.

I can only imagine after I get Forbidden Sun. :getin:

DISCLAIMER: Might not work so well with base casting speed.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Kaldaris posted:

gently caress poison. Seriously.

Better hope you don't run into me. I'll burn through that stack in no time flat! :chef:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god oh my god being summoned for LGK is amazing. I just murdered some poor kid by shooting fireballs at him and getting him smashed by the boss's jump attack.

I'm going to do this for a while. :getin:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

TerminalBlue posted:

DISCLAIMER: Might not work so well with base casting speed.

Forbidden Sun in particular has a near nonexistent cast speed. It's pretty fantastic for a one-two shot spell.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my god oh my god being summoned for LGK is amazing. I just murdered some poor kid by shooting fireballs at him and getting him smashed by the boss's jump attack.

I'm going to do this for a while. :getin:

I still haven't tried this yet, what's the particulars to get summoned?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I played with bleed for a bit and the only time it really felt particularly useful compared to just dealing more damage was doing Vendrick with only a few Giant Souls, because it does 200 damage regardless of defenses.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kaldaris posted:

Grab your red sign soapstone and place it every five seconds or so. Hope.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

What Solomon said but also, apparently you want to be over 2M soul memory to have the best shot. Last night I spent ages trying while only at 1.8, with no hits. Tonight I tried again with 2.1 and got summoned instantly.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Go figure, Hexer's hood actually works pretty well with Grave Warden Top.

How the heck am I supposed to take down the Smelter Demon as a pyromancer!? Flash sweat is nice for reducing damage intake, but damage output ain't exactly great with a +8 dagger. Two attempts with friendly phantom assistance have ended with them dead and me plinking away at his hp pool until I miss a roll or two or flash sweat wears off and I start taking the fire DoT.

Edit: Poison cloud and daggers worked wonders, along with every other throwable consumable I had on me. Thanks for the advice.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 24, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Toxic mist and poison mist. I think summoning phantoms might increase his defense against poison because I swear it took more casts to get it to stick with three people as compared to two, but it's possible he was just spending less time in the cloud.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Toxic mist and poison mist. I think summoning phantoms might increase his defense against poison because I swear it took more casts to get it to stick with three people as compared to two, but it's possible he was just spending less time in the cloud.

Summoned phantoms do increase the defences and health of all monsters, especially bosses.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Azzents posted:

Summoned phantoms do increase the defences and health of all monsters, especially bosses.

Cool; I knew about the health but wasn't sure on the defenses.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

sushibandit posted:

Go figure, Hexer's hood actually works pretty well with Grave Warden Top.

Hexer's Hood makes you lose at Fashion Souls no matter what. :colbert:

quote:

How the heck am I supposed to take down the Smelter Demon as a pyromancer!? Flash sweat is nice for reducing damage intake, but damage output ain't exactly great with a +8 dagger. Two attempts with friendly phantom assistance have ended with them dead and me plinking away at his hp pool until I miss a roll or two or flash sweat wears off and I start taking the fire DoT.

I just did it with Lucatiel, since she tanks like a champ. Watch yourself and it's not so hard to avoid being hit by stray swings as he wails on her the whole time.

If you're actually out to beat Smelter, screw summoning actual people. They'll just die like chumps 99 percent of the time.

EDIT: Also poison can be a thing. I personally didn't have enough casts to make it worthwhile and didn't have poison arrows/knives at the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can confirm toxic mist will ruin Smelter. It takes off a pretty big chunk of his health and you can always get a full duration cast on him because he's such a huge target.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Which wins count towards ranking up in the bluecops covenant? Arena wins, Invasion wins, counter-invasion wins?

All of the above.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

A question for the bluecops; do you get many counter invasions in NG+ and beyond? I imagine most people who would join the bluebabies would ever wear the ring, let alone stay in the covenant pas NG.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Azzents posted:

A question for the bluecops; do you get many counter invasions in NG+ and beyond? I imagine most people who would join the bluebabies would ever wear the ring, let alone stay in the covenant pas NG.

Way of the Blue does not have to wear the ring.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Azzents posted:

I tried the ring out through ng+ and never got a hit. The lack of work turned me to a life of crime.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There are no swords which double as Hex charms are there?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Azzents posted:

I get a few a day, it seems like it helps to be in a location that has a lot of invasions, even though you can get summoned to anywhere from anywhere (as far as I can tell). I'm at the highest SM tier.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 24, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Azzents posted:

I get a decent amount by hanging out at Iron Keep and Huntsmans Copse. And as has been said no ring is needed for Way of the Blue, the ring isnonly needed for the Sentinel

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think someone suggested awhile ago that you should have to wear a ring to get polizei backup but anyone could wear it (it wouldn't be part of a covenant). That would be so much better. Then just keep it from working if you're a sinner.

I wanted to try that covenant after the rats but now that my soul memory is borked I might just give it up and go to the sunlight covenant. I thought soul memory was a really cool thing before I realized what hackers could do to you with it.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 24, 2014

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I got summoned to the mirror knight a few days ago by using a red orb at the first drangleic bonfire. Seemed like the luckiest timing imaginable.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Azzents posted:

It's fairly rare, but if you're going to be using cracked blue eye orbs you might as well wear the ring while you wait. Might get lucky and fly off to ruin some sinner's invasion.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I summoned guys for the old king and smelter and got a ridiculously competent guy both times. One of the phantoms would go down in 2 hits but that guy beat them both almost single-handedly while wearing nothing but a jester's cap and a knife/chime.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Fashion Souls!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

killstealing posted:

I summoned guys for the old king and smelter and got a ridiculously competent guy both times. One of the phantoms would go down in 2 hits but that guy beat them both almost single-handedly while wearing nothing but a jester's cap and a knife/chime.

The naked people are almost always better. OR people that clearly are Fashion Souls'ing. Everyone wearing Havel's, Alva's, and whatnot get ignored by me. :colbert:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Made a new character because i want to co-op with a buddy and i decided to buy the Cestus from the old hag.

Holy poo poo double Caestus are amazing :getin:

Tell me they're viable and that there's more of them\i can turn them into a lightning and fire fists.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mans posted:

Made a new character because i want to co-op with a buddy and i decided to buy the Cestus from the old hag.

Tell me they're viable and that there's more of them\i can turn them into a lightning and fire fists.

I don't know if it's possible to get more of them, but they're definitely viable.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Mans posted:

I wouldn't turn them lightining but they're definitely viable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Got a few good summons at LGK. Also a few where I was instakilled, and one where the host was already dead. That was a lot of fun though.

Started Aldia's keep. Poor Lucatiel and her brother. She thanked me for keeping her sane though so... maybe there's some hope. Ah who am I kidding this is Dark Souls.

Also I accidentally released Navlaan not knowing what that lever did. Grr I wanted that pyromancy from his quest. Ah well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Got a few good summons at LGK. Also a few where I was instakilled, and one where the host was already dead. That was a lot of fun though.

Started Aldia's keep. Poor Lucatiel and her brother. She thanked me for keeping her sane though so... maybe there's some hope. Ah who am I kidding this is Dark Souls.

Also I accidentally released Navlaan not knowing what that lever did. Grr I wanted that pyromancy from his quest. Ah well.

When I went there there were like a loving million messages in front of the lever all saying DON'T loving DO IT BRO so after that I remembered about Navlaan and did not commit mortal folly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Regy Rusty posted:

All the developer messages saying turn back and "Don't you dare!!" didn't clue you in? :v: (It's OK, I probably would have done it too if I hadn't been spoiled by the thread)