Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't use curatives.

Or any consumables, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Tommofork posted:

Wait you give your pawns curatives? I jealously horde them for myself.

I might give them something to cure petrification if they're not totally useless.

I finally took away the support pawn's lanterns a month or so ago. Baby steps.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I give my pawns a bunch of flasks of spring water (I jacked up our carry capacity and made a couple of runs to the one outside Gran Soren; I've now got like 700 in my bank) and the anti-petrification item because it's the only debuff that's really gonna screw me over.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Yeah, my pawns only carry around some Secret Softener and a few of the dozens of plants that cure poison.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I happily give my pawn a lantern and basic healing items for use on itself.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tommofork posted:

Ah, that room. :3:

BBI taught my why a lvl 3 rusted bow is mandatory. Torpor is just incredible.
I just use ricochet hunter and everything dies.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Is there a reason to not give your pawns lanterns?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SoggyBobcat posted:

Think of your pawns as pack mules for when you're out mining/gathering herbs/looting bodies. The less "essential" things they have to carry to more things you can force them to.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SoggyBobcat posted:

It wastes oil, wastes carry weight, I don't find it helps me see all that much better, and it doesn't help pawns since the AI doesn't care if it's light or dark. Plus it's more crap to manage.

Now I haven't been too long in BBI so this all may change after hours in those dark tunnels, but so far I'm fine being the only one with a lantern.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I don't think I've ever seen a pawn's lantern ever run out of oil. They also barely cost any weight, but my main pawn is also a big beefy dude that I deliberately designed to carry a ton of stuff.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Dress-up question: Is there a type of headgear that is like a white/grey hood? I've got my assassin in an all-white, Assassin's Creed type getup except for the head. Something like the Summery Cowl but not yellow and not as ornate as the cleric hat thing.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, the wiki says lanterns used by pawns don't consume oil. I guess that's the tradeoff for them not being as bright as compared to the Arisen's lantern.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
That's good to know, because it also gets rid of the item management complaint, since you don't have to worry about turning them on and off.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I stick lanterns on all of my pawns so I know where they are all the time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I stick lanterns on all of my bait so I know where my enemies are at all the time.

lionsheadnebula
Feb 13, 2014

Don't you see my majestic mane, I am a lion. A beautiful misunderstood lion, who is not a horse. I'm just here to show the world the way. :roboluv:

Supeerme posted:

I stick lanterns on all of my pawns so I know where they are all the time.

Sometimes I wish we had leashes, they love to wander into enemies while I'm double checking for unopened chests.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

lionsheadnebula posted:

Sometimes I wish we had leashes, they love to wander into enemies while I'm double checking for unopened chests.
Think about how many times you'd get dragged into holes, like in Bluemoon Tower.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Nahxela posted:

Think about how many times you'd get dragged into holes, like in Bluemoon Tower.

On the other hand you could potentially pull them right back out of the hole.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I swear pawns are suicidal in certain Bitterblack Rooms. When you sprint around to get chests after a battle they suddenly leap over the chest into a pit. This happens constantly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yesss first drake kill! :black101: Didn't get a 'forged weapon off it, though.

Still! Wooo!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The "little" dragons have the worst odds of dragon forging a weapon. Even at 3 stars, it's only 18%. Grigori and the online Ur-Dragon are 100%, regardless of enhancement. The offline UD is 0%/2%/10%/30%.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Forged

quote:

Note: With the introduction of Dark Arisen, new types of Dragonkin were introduced (Firedrake / Frostwyrm / Thunderwyvern / Cursed Dragon). All Dark Arisen Dragonkin have a chance of dragon forging gear, regardless of enhancement level.
I don't know what the other BBI dragons' rates are, but it seems like cursed dragons are 100%, as long as the item has at least one star. I killed two cursed dragons while wearing an un-enhanced item, and nothing happened. I enhanced it to two stars, and the next cursed dragon I killed forged it. I've also killed cursed dragons while wearing multiple unforged items, and everything became dragon forged.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

The "little" dragons have the worst odds of dragon forging a weapon. Even at 3 stars, it's only 18%. Grigori and the online Ur-Dragon are 100%, regardless of enhancement. The offline UD is 0%/2%/10%/30%.
I must have gotten pretty lucky, then, since I got both torso items and my cloak forged.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So I'm basically screwed if I get hit by that super tornado spell a lot of enemy spell casters seem to have right? Cause I honestly don't know what to do once I get caught by it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fibby Boy posted:

So I'm basically screwed if I get hit by that super tornado spell a lot of enemy spell casters seem to have right? Cause I honestly don't know what to do once I get caught by it.

You can pause to use items to heal mid bounce. Other than that, hope you can survive the last fall to the ground.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Fibby Boy posted:

Just ride it out and wakestone yourself. I keep one on my arisen and one on each pawn at all times. The game shits out wakestones in the post-game and on BBI, so you'll never run out.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

Just ride it out and wakestone yourself. I keep one on my arisen and one on each pawn at all times. The game shits out wakestones in the post-game and on BBI, so you'll never run out.

Yeah I figured that's what the answer was gonna be. I just can't stand being hit by that spell.

On a related note: Condemned Gorecyclops are bastards and a half. At least my bow does decent enough damage to them now that I'm level 100.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

Yeah I figured that's what the answer was gonna be. I just can't stand being hit by that spell.

On a related note: Condemned Gorecyclops are bastards and a half. At least my bow does decent enough damage to them now that I'm level 100.
I spent 60 levels as a magick archer (because it's fantastic, I already miss Greater Ward Arrow) without realizing it had a defensive bent. So now I deal piss poor damage but most enemies can't do poo poo to me. Except stagger. Every fight was a slog. Gorecyclops were almost the worst.

I went to new game plus and switched over to Assassin, so hopefully it will get better.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Nihilarian posted:

I spent 60 levels as a magick archer (because it's fantastic, I already miss Greater Ward Arrow) without realizing it had a defensive bent. So now I deal piss poor damage but most enemies can't do poo poo to me. Except stagger. Every fight was a slog. Gorecyclops were almost the worst.

I went to new game plus and switched over to Assassin, so hopefully it will get better.

Big mistake right there, sorc mag augment, ninefold shot and a bbi bow combo will murder goreclops in seconds.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mirarant posted:

Big mistake right there, sorc mag augment, ninefold shot and a bbi bow combo will murder goreclops in seconds.
What's BBI?

I had Ninefold Bolt, but didn't use the sorcerer augment. Actually I'm not even really sure how the damage calculation works. How big a factor are the stats?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

What's BBI?

I had Ninefold Bolt, but didn't use the sorcerer augment. Actually I'm not even really sure how the damage calculation works. How big a factor are the stats?

BBI=Bitter Black Isle. He's saying grab a bow from that place and you'll wreck poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

BBI=Bitter Black Isle. He's saying grab a bow from that place and you'll wreck poo poo.
Ah, haven't found any magic bows from there.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Nihilarian posted:

How big a factor are the stats?

DD uses a particularly stupid way of calculating incoming damage. If your attack is below the enemy's defense you do almost no damage but exceed that limit and you will do almost full damage.

This can lead to a pretty wonky game play experience where gaining a new weapon/level can suddenly take you from struggling against a particular enemy to utterly destroying them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Welp, my dwarven assassin, Klinkenbeard, just kicked god to death. I think I'll put the game down for awhile, and start a fresh game when I come back to it. Maybe I'll try it on hard mode or something.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Nihilarian posted:

Welp, my dwarven assassin, Klinkenbeard, just kicked god to death. I think I'll put the game down for awhile, and start a fresh game when I come back to it. Maybe I'll try it on hard mode or something.

If you haven't gone to Cassardis docks at night yet, have a go.

e: wait you did that already didn't you?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mirarant posted:

If you haven't gone to Cassardis docks at night yet, have a go.

e: wait you did that already didn't you?
Yeah, and I beat the boss too.

Not his awakened form, though.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah, and I beat the boss too.

Not his awakened form, though.

The second form is pretty much more of the same, more interesting are the changed spawn configuration and the arenas with the free dlc item.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

mirarant posted:

The second form is pretty much more of the same, more interesting are the changed spawn configuration and the arenas with the free dlc item.

Free DLC item?

I've not played in a while.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

TescoBag posted:

Free DLC item?

I've not played in a while.

Fiend-luring Incense I think. You get it from Olra and it changes the arena spawns in BBI if you carry it with you.

Usually spawns a ton of the tougher mobs such as garms, living armors, goreclops etc. with some standard mobs sprinkled in.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
gently caress succubi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
If anyone is willing to pick up my Sorcerer and take her on a trek or two through the wilderness, then they are more than welcome. I'm on xbox 360 with the gamertag Friegolit.

• Locked thread