Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Apparently there have been two patches since 1.2 was released but the OP was never updated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Boy, these hardmode bosses might be some of the most unfun slogs I've ever played. I got within a few hundred health of killing the twins but died. :negative: It wouldn't be so absolutely terrible if it wasn't for the fact that other than some hilariously rare summoning items, they just seem to appear only whenever they feel like it.

Edit: Ah, so you can. I think I somehow misread "Souls of Light" as "Souls of Sight" on the wiki. Back to the lovely slog.

Make good armour (adamantite or platinum, look for it near hell level underground), wear it, make a Dao of Pow (take a bunch of sand and put it in both hallow and corrupt/crimson biomes then farm the mummies a bit for Dark/Light Shards, doesn't take long), use it to kill the Destroyer with ease (maybe build a platform in the sky out of wood platforms to make this easier, lets you stay out of the Destroyer's range and dodge more easily in general).

Then.

Make Megashark (take the Souls of Might to the guide to see how), farm crystals (this is easy just wander around some underground hallow) and make crystal bullets out of them. Wear your good armour from before, equip your Megashark and use a gravitation potion (craft or find from pots in hell or w/e) to avoid the Twins while you hold M1 at them for a bit.

Huzzah.

quote:

*But not the Golem. I literally cannot move fast enough to dodge its laser fire. I don't know how you're supposed to kill that loving thing without either tanking or cheesing it. And I'm not even going to mention the Pumpkin or Frost Moons.

The lasers are quick but they don't do much damage, build two parallel horizontal platforms out of mud or something, make the bottom one 2-3 layers thick and then spawn the Golem between them to trap him. Shoot his fists when they come at you to knock them back. Easy fight.

For the Frost and Pumpkin Moons you need to create an arena to do reasonably well. There are a shitload of tricks you can do in making an arena from using statues to spawn hp/mana or weak mobs which you can kill with the Headless Horseman Blade to spawn a million projectiles to using thin layers of lava and Lizhard Temple traps to kill enemies en masse.

Read fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Senor Candle posted:

One use would be going through with multiple characters, then stashing those fish away so you can get one character to 50 quicker.
But my point is that still wouldn't really be "quicker" because the one character can still only turn in 1 fish per day, no matter how many he's supplied with.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
New patch just hit.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-2-4-1-changelog.145100/

Mostly bug fixes, and adding a handful of previously unobtainable items.

One major thing they fixed was the bug where boosters could make your minecarts go supersonic speed, so I hope none of you have any major track setups that rely on that.

They also added a completely negligible mana cost to summoning weapons so that they can receive a modifier... that isn't the modifier you particularly want on summoning weapons anyway. :crossarms:

Oh yeah and sail blocks are no longer free. Hope you all stocked up beforehand!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can craft the different chest types now, which is nice if you are way too into organizing your storage.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Cicadalek posted:

You can craft the different chest types now, which is nice if you are way too into organizing your storage.

I am. I don't know if it's a recent change, but I only recently found out you can change the name of chests so it displays on mouseover, which is helpful.

I've got a Powerful Uzi and a Demonic Clockwork Assault rifle... which one is better for taking down the Twins and/or Skeletron Prime? The "high velocity bullet" mechanic isn't as good as the "three round burst" when it comes to DPS, or is it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I am. I don't know if it's a recent change, but I only recently found out you can change the name of chests so it displays on mouseover, which is helpful.

I've got a Powerful Uzi and a Demonic Clockwork Assault rifle... which one is better for taking down the Twins and/or Skeletron Prime? The "high velocity bullet" mechanic isn't as good as the "three round burst" when it comes to DPS, or is it?

Uzi has better dps than even the megashark, iirc. It just has really bad ammo consumption.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I really wish the truffle worm didn't run away so fast, I've seen six, caught two and I was on top of at least three when they just didn't want to be caught by my net.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Truffle worms are basically Hitler and they seem to be coded to spawn either in tiny underwater gaps or falling off a cliff right above you.

I don't know if I want to make my next base entirely out of slime or glass.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Akett posted:

I really wish the truffle worm didn't run away so fast, I've seen six, caught two and I was on top of at least three when they just didn't want to be caught by my net.

Rod of Discord helps.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I never managed to get a rod of discord after hundreds of hours, but I did get that lovely doubleknife they were bugged to drop instead. I should just inventory edit one in.

I've had most success catching truffle worms by grappling to their location while swinging the net.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

I never managed to get a rod of discord after hundreds of hours, but I did get that lovely doubleknife they were bugged to drop instead. I should just inventory edit one in.

Yeah this is my position on farming, I did it "legit" the first time I played through the content and generally with brand new content I will but I like to play through from a new character for updates and gently caress if I'm farming some of this stuff over again. I'll try for a little while but if the RNG isn't doing it for me I'll edit it in.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Once I hit chlorophyte armor the gently caress-its set in, farming key molds and the useful stuff out of the hardmode dungeon SUCKS. Once you've legitimately vampire knived with your ultra-useful wisp buddy it's hard to go back.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Is it worth trying to get the Sniper Scope or should I just stick with the Ranger Emblem?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

watho posted:

Is it worth trying to get the Sniper Scope or should I just stick with the Ranger Emblem?

I think it's worthwhile if you're rocking Shroomite Armour, the crit chance can stack really high with full stealth and crit boosting gear.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My problem with the Sniper Scope is that it can screw with your aiming because it jumps to center on your mouse when you fire, then jumps back when you let go the LClick. It's very bad design.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Alright, cool. Just need to farm for the last emblem and the actual scope. At least I have more than one thing to get in the dungeon now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So hey, you guys might appreciate this.

Every complete furniture set, showcased in a cozy little modular house:

In case you need ideas for building or just want to find a cool table for your next project.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Holy poo poo, the new Terra Blade makes melee almost viable.

Duke Fishron is honestly one of my favorite bosses, he's fast but avoidable, has some interesting moves and his loot table is the best. If you make a Z____ shaped mushroom biome you can usually catch the truffle worm before it sees you.

This might have been the first patch in a while that didn't horribly nerf magic or any good things.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Sharknado summon is the best simply because it leaves mountains of gibs everywhere and also their damage output makes even more gibs real fast I guess.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh my god, the way pygmies ride their spears like hoverboards is just the cutest loving thing ever. :3:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone been able to find a truffle worm in a pre-update world?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I gave my first 1.0 world a going-over with blue solution since my base there is underground and right next to the jungle.

fuepi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 20, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

Yeah, I gave my first 1.0 world a going-over with blue solution since my base there is underground and right next to the jungle.

Thanks. I vastly underestimated how large the mushroom biome has to be to get enough worm spawns.

Side note: I find the noise the flailron and bubble gun make to be very pleasing.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
After fighting him a few times so I could get his drops somewhat legit, I have to say, Fishron is pretty fun. You don't have to deal with a million things at once, he's got a pretty set pattern thats easy to figure out, plus the fact that unlike Plantera and the Golem you have a lot of room to manuver by default. His attacks aren't bullshit or too terrible, and as long as you know how to move right you can avoid the worst of the damage, though Sharknados trapping you for a cheap shot is annoying.

Two thirds of his loot is pretty awesome to. I'm not impressed with the Tsunami or the Bubble Gun, the former lacks auto fire and is a bow, while the Bubble Gun may as well be a melee weapon for its range, but the other stuff is great. Sharknados being high damage flying projectile based summons makes them much btter than anything pre fishing update, the Flailon is awesome for melee users as a projectile weapon thats usefull in confined spaces where the Noth Pole sucks, Razorblade Typhoon combines Waterbolt, Demon Scythe and homing for a great magic attack, and the Fishron Wings are incredibly agile in the air. Makes for a great addition to your arsenal for nearly every class.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ashsaber posted:

After fighting him a few times so I could get his drops somewhat legit, I have to say, Fishron is pretty fun. You don't have to deal with a million things at once, he's got a pretty set pattern thats easy to figure out, plus the fact that unlike Plantera and the Golem you have a lot of room to manuver by default. His attacks aren't bullshit or too terrible, and as long as you know how to move right you can avoid the worst of the damage, though Sharknados trapping you for a cheap shot is annoying.

Two thirds of his loot is pretty awesome to. I'm not impressed with the Tsunami or the Bubble Gun, the former lacks auto fire and is a bow, while the Bubble Gun may as well be a melee weapon for its range, but the other stuff is great. Sharknados being high damage flying projectile based summons makes them much btter than anything pre fishing update, the Flailon is awesome for melee users as a projectile weapon thats usefull in confined spaces where the Noth Pole sucks, Razorblade Typhoon combines Waterbolt, Demon Scythe and homing for a great magic attack, and the Fishron Wings are incredibly agile in the air. Makes for a great addition to your arsenal for nearly every class.

Would you say he's easier or harder than Plantera and the Golem? I've beat Plantera a few times and the Golem twice, but both still manage to kill me if I'm not really working for it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
He can do some pretty incredible damage, like 150+ per hit even in full beetle armor, and he moves insanely fast, like Eye-boss lunges at supersonic speed and very fast tracking, plus he creates homing projectiles of multiple types and two-screen-high walls of death. I can sleepwalk through the golem, for the most part, and plantera's weak enough against late-game equipment. I'd say Duke's probably the hardest boss in the game right now, not counting the moon events.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

Would you say he's easier or harder than Plantera and the Golem? I've beat Plantera a few times and the Golem twice, but both still manage to kill me if I'm not really working for it.

Vib Rib posted:

He can do some pretty incredible damage, like 150+ per hit even in full beetle armor, and he moves insanely fast, like Eye-boss lunges at supersonic speed and very fast tracking, plus he creates homing projectiles of multiple types and two-screen-high walls of death. I can sleepwalk through the golem, for the most part, and plantera's weak enough against late-game equipment. I'd say Duke's probably the hardest boss in the game right now, not counting the moon events.

As Vib Rib says, he's a tough motherfucker who hits hard and takes a lot of punishment. However, he has a very simple pattern, charging five times before doing a projectile attack, either homing bubbles (just keep attacking, you'll destroy them as you attack him) or summoning Sharknados. The Sharknados are kinda bullshit, being huge and firing sharks at your position for a few seconds, but a fairly standard boss arena (ie a couple screens of wooden platforms, three layers high about a screen apart vertically) will let you dodge it fairly easily, I believe.

After he gets down half way he changes his pattern, with three faster lunges instead of five, and his other attacks are changed, the bubble spawning now taking place as he does a loop-de-loop (not really any more threatening) and his Sharknado summon is much different, following you and trying to spawn where you are, being bigger and firing double the sharks to make up for being only one Sharknado. If you can dodge the twins you can probably dodge this guy, but swiftness potions are essential.

I will not bullshit you. He is HARD. But he's very upfront about it, and with effort and preperation he becomes much easier. He doesn't have anything like the near Hitscan lasers of the Golem, he doesn't do Plantera's bullshit with filling tight underground corridors with bouncing projectiles, he doesn't come with a billion adds like any of the event moon bosses, he's just there, with a simple pattern that you can learn and deal with. And if you want to beat him you really do need to learn his pattern, because he'll gib you with ease otherwise.

E: basically, most of the previous big bosses are of the bullet hell type, basically requiring you to have great reflexes and the ability to identify and react to everything thats pertinent to you pretty much constanty and instantly. Fishron follows a more Dark Souls style, where if you know whats coming and prepare for it you have the key to victory but if you go in half cocked you're likely to be dead in under ten seconds.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 24, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just use all the life/regen/defense/etc potions and it'll be okay. Once you get his flail he's easy to cheese.

I recommend an asphalt skybridge and the chain gun (if you have it) with chlorophyte bullets.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You can either do the Frost Moon first and use frost moon weapons on him, or you can kill him first and use his weapons on the Frost Moon. Whichever your second step is, it'll be pretty easy.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Really? Awesome, I had a hell of a time soloing the Frost Moon. Didn't take too much damage but it's hard to kill enough stuff to advance. I'm gonna go try it now with my new poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm probably not even going to bother with him then. At this point, I only really fire up the game to build some poo poo or to explore underground pre-hardmode and let my chlorophyte armor take care of the enemies. I think I've moved on to the 'casual builder/explorer' phase.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

He's extremely easy if you just abuse movement, gravity potion or wings + some speed boosts means you can just kite him forever with ranged attacks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really never enjoyed the hardmode bosses from Terraria. They weren't necessarily hard, but they just seemed to be bullet sponges.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Eonwe posted:

I really never enjoyed the hardmode bosses from Terraria. They weren't necessarily hard, but they just seemed to be bullet sponges.

Cool.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Skeletron Prime is the bane of my existence right now, I'm wearing full Hallowed Armour with an Excalibur and Megashark, and have max health and he still rips me to pieces, I hate him and his flying buzzsaws and lasers. :smith:

I'm on the PS3 version if it helps and do have access to Plantera, who made me cry when I accidentally summoned it when digging in the jungle.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Do you use a skybridge, lightning boots, and buffs?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Eonwe posted:

Bad thing is that they really aren't actually harder than the basic bosses, it's just that you have to have better gear. When I first fought the hardmode bosses I was all "oh gently caress I'm never going to beat these guys" but then I happened upon some gear and they became easy and boring.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Me and a buddy tried to get back into this game but the inclusion of 60 second potion timers and having to sit on the death screen for an eternity put us off completely after just 2 hours of play. Are there any mods that make the game fun to just goof around in again?

We beat the Eye and then tried the Brain of Cthullu, died to it instantly and said gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Hummingbirds posted:

Do you use a skybridge, lightning boots, and buffs?

I have wings and a small skybridge, I'm not some master player who has everything ingame, its my first time ever in Hardmode, beating the Twins and Destroyer took me forever, but buffs I use are the armour and health regen ones usually.

The boots I have are the Pegasus Boots, which make me run fast.

• Locked thread