Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I did not hit her, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not hit her! I did not! Oh hi, Jane.

What is this? It's too small/ blurry to make out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

effectual posted:

looks like the Faberge Egg Museum in downdown Dubuque.

And on the other side of the picture, there's the Dubuque Pig Castle, home of the Pork Prince.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Frigga: Everything goes wrong at once. Nobody wants to help me, and I'm dying.

Balder: You're not dying, mom.

Frigga: I got the results of the test back, I definitely have breast cancer.

(cue Ragnarok)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DoctorWhat posted:

Thanks. Can anyone post the whole thing? I can't seem to find the first half anywhere.

It's because he always answered the phone "Hello. Yes, this is dog."

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

For the life of me I can never understand how someone can look at this gif as a bad thing. Like, sure, point out whatever flaws the prequel trilogy has all you want, I don't give a poo poo, but look at that. That unabashedly owns.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jonny Angel posted:

For the life of me I can never understand how someone can look at this gif as a bad thing. Like, sure, point out whatever flaws the prequel trilogy has all you want, I don't give a poo poo, but look at that. That unabashedly owns.

I mean, come on, they're not even near hitting each other. It looks like two kids doing the windmill punching thing on the playground but not ever actually getting closer to one another.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
My immersion!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Jonny Angel posted:

I like to think of it as 2-man semaphore.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

CloseFriend posted:

I like to think of it as 2-man semaphore.

Something something sailors something etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord Krangdar posted:

My immersion!

Watch Empire Strikes Back, or most other decent sword fights on film, there should be a sense that at least one of the people involved is trying to hit the other, just for purposes of dramatic tension.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Now loading clumsy.wad on difficulty: Blurt Me Plenty.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean, come on, they're not even near hitting each other. It looks like two kids doing the windmill punching thing on the playground but not ever actually getting closer to one another.

They're not trying to hit each other, they're each rapidly feinting because they're superfast psychics. You can say that's stupid but the scene isn't trying to make you think those blows are connecting.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Have you ever heard of a fighter named Leonard Garcia?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Thor 2. What a slog.
If you thought Thor 2 was boring, wait 'til you see Thor 1!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Skwirl posted:

Watch Empire Strikes Back, or most other decent sword fights on film, there should be a sense that at least one of the people involved is trying to hit the other, just for purposes of dramatic tension.

Sure, yeah. I get it. But that's a very different film in every way. Just like how "I love you" "I know" fits there, but wouldn't between Amidala and Anakin.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

wyoming posted:

It's because he always answered the phone "Hello. Yes, this is dog."

Who posted it, anyway? I know archives are down but someone has GOT to have autistically cataloged the entire proceedings.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes exactly!

Like, just Occam's Razoring this poo poo, I have no idea how you read that as "in this meticulously choreographed battle, these two characters are trying very skillfully and viciously to hit each other - but somehow their needlessly fancy and theatrical movements come nowhere near each other". It's posturing. It's incredibly earnest, angry posturing on the part of both characters. If they'd just disengaged from some sword passes and ONE of them made this kind of elaborate, spinny motions with their lightsabers, it'd be this very recognizable moment of "A-ha! Impressive, but you won't get me that easily."

Instead, they're both doing it, and it's this whirlwind of incredibly precise, incredibly powerful, incredibly impotent nonsense. I suppose that's why I appreciate it so much in gif form and would maybe not be so in love with it if I saw the movie again - it's that much better when they're locked in this state FOREVER.

"I'm spinning my loving lightsaber!"
"No, I'M spinning MY loving lightsaber!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know, considering Lucas I feel like it's just posturing on the part of the filmmaker. You're supposed to think "WOW LOOK AT THOSE LIGHTSABERS WHIZ BY! THESE GUYS SURE CAN DO SOME FANCY THINGS WITH THEM" and not that Lucas wanted you to think they're trying to not hit each other so they look cool.

If there were actually two sword fighters at the top of their game who sincerely wanted to kill the poo poo out of each other, sure. It's a movie though. A kind-of sloppy movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

The best film sword fight is the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jonny Angel posted:

Yes exactly!

Like, just Occam's Razoring this poo poo, I have no idea how you read that as "in this meticulously choreographed battle, these two characters are trying very skillfully and viciously to hit each other - but somehow their needlessly fancy and theatrical movements come nowhere near each other". It's posturing. It's incredibly earnest, angry posturing on the part of both characters. If they'd just disengaged from some sword passes and ONE of them made this kind of elaborate, spinny motions with their lightsabers, it'd be this very recognizable moment of "A-ha! Impressive, but you won't get me that easily."

Instead, they're both doing it, and it's this whirlwind of incredibly precise, incredibly powerful, incredibly impotent nonsense. I suppose that's why I appreciate it so much in gif form and would maybe not be so in love with it if I saw the movie again - it's that much better when they're locked in this state FOREVER.

"I'm spinning my loving lightsaber!"
"No, I'M spinning MY loving lightsaber!"
It's loving poo poo storytelling is what it is. Ignoring all other Star Wars, compare it to the train fight in From Russia With Love. Or exclude fight scenes entirely, it's like if Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf had a three minute sequence where Richard Burton and Liz Taylor just said "No, your ugly and dumb," to each other, ad nauseum.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

effectual posted:

I can't wait to see what cpl or smg rely to this.

Uhhhh...something, something buttsex.

FishBulb posted:

Why would anyone be the lady? Don't you just like rub your wangs together or something? I mean I wouldn't know.

Dickeye doesn't know how homosexuality works.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Man, Edgar Wright had been working on Ant-Man since before Iron Man 1. That's a long rear end time to suddenly have something yanked away from you.

What's a little more disconcerting is that there's suddenly rumours that Wright was behind on production and budget and Marvel got fed up, which is totally a studio move to discredit the other party and make them seem reasonable. What's funny is that people were way more jazzed about a Wright movie than they were an Ant-Man movie.

Now that Marvel have tasted massive success they don't want to let that go. They've been on a good run. They've had Pixar level success, but sooner or later someone is going to make CARS and it's all going to fall apart.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cross post, but this is what Simon Pegg tweeted.

quote:

Incredibly proud of my friend @edgarwright, this morning as I am always.

I'm not sure what he's proud of. Unless Marvel pulled a Tom Rothman.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DrVenkman posted:

Man, Edgar Wright had been working on Ant-Man since before Iron Man 1. That's a long rear end time to suddenly have something yanked away from you.

What's a little more disconcerting is that there's suddenly rumours that Wright was behind on production and budget and Marvel got fed up, which is totally a studio move to discredit the other party and make them seem reasonable. What's funny is that people were way more jazzed about a Wright movie than they were an Ant-Man movie.

Now that Marvel have tasted massive success they don't want to let that go. They've been on a good run. They've had Pixar level success, but sooner or later someone is going to make CARS and it's all going to fall apart.

I know this is really beating a dead horse, but the studio obviously doesn't realize that Wright was the only draw that film had. Aside from the fact that he's Edgar Wright it probably would have been awesome just for the fact that it was kind of a passion project for him. He's been talking about doing it since before Hot Fuzz came out.

CelticPredator posted:

Cross post, but this is what Simon Pegg tweeted.

I'm not sure what he's proud of. Unless Marvel pulled a Tom Rothman.

If I had to guess I'd say it's because he walked away from something that was going to make him a lot of money because he didn't want to compromise himself or his vision.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 24, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

While Cars wasn't a good movie, it was financially a huge success, so I'd say Marvel has already had a couple Cars and done okay.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I always find arguments over the realism of light saber fighting to be pretty funny. If lightsabers were used to "their maximum effectiveness based on reality" it would be like a bout of fencing and be over in less than a couple seconds because whoever hits first would basically win. It would just be really bland and anticlimactic. I think the bestmost hilarious example of this is from Die Another Day.

Realistic-ish swordplay...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIF8qouivIU

Entertaining swordplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpTUAOYrSII

I honestly just wanted an excuse to bring up that scene because holy poo poo do I love it. If either of them fought like they did initially they would have beaten the other guy, but nope, and I am happy for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

I always find arguments over the realism of light saber fighting to be pretty funny. If lightsabers were used to "their maximum effectiveness based on reality" it would be like a bout of fencing and be over in less than a couple seconds because whoever hits first would basically win. It would just be really bland and anticlimactic. I think the bestmost hilarious example of this is from Die Another Day.

Realistic-ish swordplay...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIF8qouivIU

Entertaining swordplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpTUAOYrSII

I honestly just wanted an excuse to bring up that scene because holy poo poo do I love it. If either of them fought like they did initially they would have beaten the other guy, but nope, and I am happy for that.

Hey, another great example of why the twirling lightsaber thing sucks, however fake it is, the actors look (act) like they are trying to kill the other person, instead if twirling their swords like batons at a high school pep rally.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The sequel, Future Zone features time travel!

Villainous picture cutting!

Synchronous holstering!

Cocaine torching!

Teamwork!

I think I remember that cocaine burning scene....

Thanks for providing us with these amazing gifs from an assuredly awful movie!

Skwirl posted:

You have to admit there's something magical about seeing Alec Trebek read out the words to Sabotage though.

Edit: I just realized that two of the four questions about 90's rap are about white groups, which is a little hosed.
Jeopardy is for white people?!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Skwirl posted:

While Cars wasn't a good movie, it was financially a huge success, so I'd say Marvel has already had a couple Cars and done okay.

I guess more critically. They're movies have been well received and have been a success with a cross section of audiences. With CARS, CARS 2 and now PLANES, it seems that Pixar sort of creatively run out of ideas and chased the kids market. Even though John Lassiter had legitimate reasons to make CARS, it feels like a product rather than a vision.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Skwirl posted:

It's loving poo poo storytelling is what it is. Ignoring all other Star Wars, compare it to the train fight in From Russia With Love. Or exclude fight scenes entirely, it's like if Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf had a three minute sequence where Richard Burton and Liz Taylor just said "No, your ugly and dumb," to each other, ad nauseum.

Except the shot is about a second and a half long, not a dumb three minute hypothetical scene.

Unless you are saying that that entire lightsaber fight is poo poo storytelling, in which case I don't understand why you wouldn't love the one silly bit.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Skwirl posted:

Hey, another great example of why the twirling lightsaber thing sucks, however fake it is, the actors look (act) like they are trying to kill the other person, instead if twirling their swords like batons at a high school pep rally.

Nah, twirling lightsabers is an American tradition and one of the only memorable things from the prequels. Honestly, it is no less goofy than say...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4
with it's wide slow sweeping attacks that leave plenty of time for even the most inept person to break through. Light saber fights are all about style and the prequels just turn that up to eleven and make them basically like futuristic light shows/dance competitions, which at least makes them fun to watch.

Edit: I am not saying that they are amazing, but they are one of the only competent things about the prequels.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 24, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Die Another Day sword fight owns though, and it also feels pretty real. Yes, it's all fun and dramatic, but none of the characters are loving around with their weapons trying to be cool. They're attacking each other, trying to draw blood.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 24, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I know this is really beating a dead horse, but the studio obviously doesn't realize that Wright was the only draw that film had. Aside from the fact that he's Edgar Wright it probably would have been awesome just for the fact that it was kind of a passion project for him. He's been talking about doing it since before Hot Fuzz came out.

I refuse to believe anyone is that passionate about loving Ant-man

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hey no one said anything about loving him.

No matter how hard they were thinking it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you thought Thor 2 was boring, wait 'til you see Thor 1!

It's all Thor 2's action that is deathly boring. Thor 1 was pretty good.

Cardboard Box A posted:

I think I remember that cocaine burning scene....

Thanks for providing us with these amazing gifs from an assuredly awful movie!

I like making hideously unoptimized gifs.

effectual posted:

It's 'timg', unless I'm missing a joke

DoctorWhat posted:

For context, we threaten to leave each other over every little thing.

I recognize this and it does not make me proud.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

FishBulb posted:

Women can't really be gay. I mean how can they have sex, neither of them has a penis
My ex-girlfriends will be relieved to hear that all that debauchery doesn't count, so at least we can't get banned from heaven for the homo sex :3:

Going to go ahead and add my two cents that there is no one they could realistically find to replace Wright that would in any way make me remotely interested in Antman the way having Wright attached to it did. Like, unless they necromance Kubrick from the loving grave and use arcane knowledge to yoke his unnatural existence to this project, there is no way I am going to give a poo poo about an Antman movie. Even as a comic book fan I never gave a poo poo about Antman.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Poltergeist Kubrick winning an Oscar for Best Director would be a fantastical sight.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Duncan Jones said he has already finished filming the Warcraft movie. Not even Star Wars managed to be that secretive.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Duncan Jones said he has already finished filming the Warcraft movie. Not even Star Wars managed to be that secretive.

I really can't wait to see what he's done with it. He was such a weird choice, considering the IP, so I'm curious how his cerebral touch is going to show through in the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Thor would be a lot more entertaining if Loki just used his powers to trick Thor into kissing him.

I'm pretty sure this is all that a large percentage of the fanbase wants anyways.

Jonny Angel posted:

I feel at this point a large percentage of the criticism of the prequels has just kind of of become stuff that people mindlessly repeat rather than stuff they objectively think about. Like I remember following the Redlettermedia thread awhile back and it just became clear after awhile that people were more looking for stuff to get mad about and repeating stuff that RLM said like it was gospel rather than really thinking through what they were talking about.

DrVenkman posted:

I guess more critically. They're movies have been well received and have been a success with a cross section of audiences. With CARS, CARS 2 and now PLANES, it seems that Pixar sort of creatively run out of ideas and chased the kids market. Even though John Lassiter had legitimate reasons to make CARS, it feels like a product rather than a vision.

Planes wasn't Pixar :eng101:

Honestly I feel Cars 2 gets alot of poo poo it doesn't deserve. It's not a very good movie but it's still a pretty drat creative one that's dragged down by being a sequel. Cars is a film that came from a dumb but genuine place. Cars 2 is a movie that kind of loses that but when it's at it's best it's also WAY better than the first one. I'd take the intro to Cars 2 over pretty much any part of the original.

• Locked thread