Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

Exactly what is so terrible about the driving? What would you compare it to?

The only open-world driving I would call crap was GTAIV's (not counting joke entries like Deadly Premonition), so I don't have much basis of comparison.
This is far worse than GTAIV's. I didn't think GTAIV's driving mechanics were as bad as everybody said, but other games have certainly done it better than GTAIV. But yeah, this is several notches below GTAIV.

Like I had a more enjoyable time driving in one level of Wolfenstein: The New Order than I have in this so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it floaty and causing cars to roll over and blow up the instant you make any kind of high speed maneuver, or what?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it floaty and causing cars to roll over and blow up the instant you make any kind of high speed maneuver, or what?
It's super floaty, and it's not that bad but cars do get wrecked a lot easier than in the GTA games. Though I will say that watching a car blow up in this game is immensely satisfying, moreso than in any of the GTA games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, you just keep saying "it's bad, it's bad, it's bad." Details, man. There are so many ways driving cars in video games can suck.

edit: and there you go. Traction-less cars are always a pain in the rear end.

Sedisp posted:

From what I have very briefly played on a friend's PS4 copy and from the streams I've watched it's Sleeping Dogs driving. No weight to any of the cars.

Sleeping Dogs had no joke my favorite vehicle handling of any sandbox I've played, and I didn't even like Sleeping Dogs that much. Getting mixed signals here.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The only open-world driving I would call crap was GTAIV's (not counting joke entries like Deadly Premonition), so I don't have much basis of comparison.

From what I have very briefly played on a friend's PS4 copy and from the streams I've watched it's Sleeping Dogs driving. No weight to any of the cars.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're all loving crazy, the driving is fine. Not great, but "several levels below GTA4" is a thermobaric hyperbole.

Issues exist though, mostly in that the Driver San Francisco guys tried to recreate their fairly good driving sim from that game, but then toned it down significantly in terms of feedback and precision of the handbrake.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sedisp posted:

No, Sleeping Dogs was better than this. I played through that game a couple times and driving wasn't its high point but it certainly wasn't maddening like this.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
It's floaty to the point that it is borderline impossible to direct your car to where you would like it to go. Every vehicle handles like it is weightless and has blocks of ice for tires. There is no grip. Every turn is a way over turn. There is an entire set of side quests dedicated to vehicles chases...

Yeah Sleeping Dogs driving is considerably better than this.

I think you can put your own music in it but I haven't tried yet. No slomo entrance/exit but there is a skill that allows you to slow down time, driving or otherwise.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 24, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Does it have slow motion when switching cars, jumping out and shooting people? Because that is what I remember most of Sleeping Dogs driving.

Also, can you put in your own music for the game? I asked this earlier but it was the end of a page I think.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

w00tuberjedi posted:

It's floaty to the point that it is borderline impossible to direct your car to where you would like it to go. Every vehicle handles like it is weightless and has blocks of ice for tires. There is no grip. Every turn is a way over turn. There is an entire set of side quests dedicated to vehicles chases...

Yeah Sleeping Dogs driving is considerably better than this.

Yeah definitely haven't seen or experienced this dunno what to tell you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There is so little consensus amongst this game's early adopters I'd swear they're members of Parliament.

Orv
May 4, 2011

w00tuberjedi posted:

Something is up with your controller, or your motor functions, because I can get through downtown traffic with ease and not have any problems.

Oxxidation posted:

There is so little consensus amongst this game's early adopters I'd swear they're members of Parliament.

A Parliament of bullshit and lies. So, yes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I wouldn't really consider myself an early adopter I played maybe an hour of it. And watched too many hours of it.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Orv posted:

Something is up with your controller, or your motor functions, because I can get through downtown traffic with ease and not have any problems.

Yeah, I can drive fine in any game. Insults aren't really necessary. If you want to champion this game go for it. I'm just letting people know it's not the GotY that hype has made it up to be. The driving is the worst part and you are deluded if you think otherwise.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 24, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does it mean if I think SR >>> GTA, and that GTA is a pretty low standard for this kind of game, mechanics and story-wise?

It means you know fun ought to come first.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Does it have slow motion when switching cars, jumping out and shooting people? Because that is what I remember most of Sleeping Dogs driving.

Also, can you put in your own music for the game? I asked this earlier but it was the end of a page I think.

I'm also curious about these things. It'd be great if you can make a playlist for your ultraphone for on-foot music time.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Orv posted:

A Parliament of bullshit and lies. So, yes.

I'm not discounting anyone's opinion and don't want this to turn into yet another hugbox, but I hope you're right.

I'm picking up the XBox One version before work on the 27th and will report back after I've finally got to check it out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Stop calling each other names, it's now really close to that members of Parliament analogy.

So what are not terrible?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Orv posted:

Congratulations. I've tried driving in this game with both a 360 controller and mouse + keyboard and it sucks poo poo both ways. And w00tuberjedi is saying the exact same things so it's not like it's just isolated to one person's experiences with the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a new IP from Ubisoft, it was practically guaranteed to be in some manner disappointing. I genuinely don't think this is going to be all that well received and I am disappointed by much of it.
Something is up with driving and I think. think you guys are wrong, but subjective and all that.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Orv posted:

It's a new IP from Ubisoft, it was practically guaranteed to be in some manner disappointing. I genuinely don't think this is going to be all that well received and I am disappointed by much of it.
Something is up with driving and I think. think you guys are wrong, but subjective and all that.

Quantify what you think is wrong with it. There has been plenty of specific reasons why I think driving sucks in it. The only rebuttal I've heard is "no you bad nah nah nah". I do agree subjectivity is key, maybe I just have a lower tolerance for bullshit mechanics than others.
My original point is: there are much better new releases to spend your time/money on right now.

Forgive me, I glossed over your post in comparison to Driver. I am now confused because I feel like we are saying the same thing just differently. Lack of feedback and imprecise handbrakes are exactly what makes the driving floaty and terrible.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 24, 2014

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Orv posted:

Mostly this. It's just disappointing. The game was so hyped that it was basically impossible for it to live up to that - and it's probably a bit worse than just failing to live to the hype. It's a mediocre game at best, really - what I've seen/played anyway. I wouldn't even call it "good". On a scale of 1-10, actually using all the numbers where 1 is that crazy awful 18 wheeler game from the mid 2000s and 10 is, I don't know, Final Fantasy Tactics or something, I'd give this a firm 5.5. It's above average. And at $60 "above average" is pretty bad. It's not a miserable steaming pile by any means, but it's also not what I think anyone was expecting based on what we had been told.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'll admit, when you're in an area with a bunch of guards and you lure them into traps by hacking poo poo and then blowing them up when they get close, now that is drat good fun. But that's about the only enjoyment I've gotten out of this game besides being wowed by the pretty visuals.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Oxxidation posted:

The cars feel like they're on ice and weigh 10% of what they actually should. On top of this, whoever designed the physics for this game needs to be shot. Nothing like lightly tapping a utility pole with a motorcycle and watching it go FLYING down the street at max speed, taking out everything in its path.

Remember that Vin Diesel game, The Getaway? It's like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay Rageaholic and w00t, question for you, what are your framerates like while driving? Mine's solid, but I went to record some driving for you guys and it got kind of choppy, and the cars actually feel a lot worse as a result. E: Which sounds like I'm still going "Hurr it's somehow your fault" and it's not my intent.

As for the issues with driving I think it's a little too sim-lite. It's like playing Shift or something with the assists off, which is crazy for a sandbox open world game. If you try to power out of a spin you're just going to keep spinning, cars with huge amounts of horsepower (the Mustang knockoff for instance) are absolute shitpiles to control at speed. I think they tried to make it a little too realistic and then backed off in the wrong place, which is assists. It is definitely loose, I don't know about floaty, but it definitely gets out there real easy and it's hard to bring back in.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 24, 2014

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Orv posted:

Okay Rageaholic and w00t, question for you, what are your framerates like while driving? Mine's solid, but I went to record some driving for you guys and it got kind of choppy, and the cars actually feel a lot worse as a result.

As for the issues with driving I think it's a little too sim-lite. It's like playing Shift or something with the assists off, which is crazy for a sandbox open world game. If you try to power out of a spin you're just going to keep spinning, cars with huge amounts of horsepower (the Mustang knockoff for instance) are absolute shitpiles to control at speed. I think they tried to make it a little too realistic and then backed off in the wrong place, which is assists. It is definitely loose, I don't know about floaty, but it definitely gets out there real easy and it's hard to bring back in.

I've got between 50-60 fps. I really think we are having the same issues with driving and just describing them with different words. I absolutely agree with everything you posted here.

In terms of driving in open world games, I think it goes GTA4, Watch Dogs, every other modern open world game (worst to best).

I would be totally cool with this game if it wasn't deficient in so many other areas.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 24, 2014

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
drat this game looks really nice on my rig but echoing the other guys with the driving sucking rear end...

Orv
May 4, 2011

w00tuberjedi posted:

I really think we are having the same issues with driving and just describing them with different words. I absolutely agree with everything you posted here.

It could totally be. You're probably also right in that you're less willing to put up with it than I am. I put a bunch of time into sim racing recently so it feels more like a challenge to overcome for me, but looking back at like, GTA4 on launch, that was a loving travesty and I can only imagine that's what you're experiencing here.

So I guess the moral of the driving story is that if you're a masochist, sign the gently caress up. Apologies to you and Rage for being a shitlord.

E: I should note that I'm basically reserving final personal judgement for this game on the invasion aspects. Everything else is kind of there.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 24, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Orv posted:

It could totally be. You're probably also right in that you're less willing to put up with it than I am. I put a bunch of time into sim racing recently so it feels more like a challenge to overcome for me, but looking back at like, GTA4 on launch, that was a loving travesty and I can only imagine that's what you're experiencing here.

So I guess the moral of the driving story is that if you're a masochist, sign the gently caress up. Apologies to you and Rage for being a shitlord.
Heh, it's all good man. I'd just hate to see anyone on here waste money on this game because they think it'll have a half-decent driving model and then wind up very disappointed.

I feel like I've played an open world game with driving as bad as this before, but not in a long time. Did one of the early True Crime games have loving terrible car handling? This feels like a regression to games from 10 years ago at the very least.

One thing I will say in this game's favor: the in-vehicle radio is pretty great. Some of the songs are so lovely they're hilarious and others are just genuinely awesome.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This game has the potential to look really goddamn nice. I started out playing at 1920x1200 with all the settings maxed, because that's my native res and most other games do just fine at those settings because I have a GTX 770 4GB and it's no slouch. And the game looked reeeally nice, but the framerate was wildly inconsistent so I bumped it down to 1080 and it's doing better with that.

i7 3770 + 670 GTX here and I've got everything on ultra aside from the textures (only 2GB of VRAM) at 2560 x 1440 pulling a solid 60+ FPS. There's some occasional stuttering popping up while driving (sounds like exactly what Orv mentioned) but it didn't start until recently. Hacking everything is fun as poo poo; daisy-chaining the cameras to recon an entire area and then taking out almost every guard by luring them into hackable traps is awesome.

The vehicle handling is pretty bad, though. It takes a second for the steering to respond and by the time it does you're already trying to correct back to center. Hopefully it can be addressed in a patch. I think most games have boats that handle better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel like I've played an open world game with driving as bad as this before, but not in a long time. Did one of the early True Crime games have loving terrible car handling? This feels like a regression to games from 10 years ago at the very least.

You might be remembering Mafia 1.

Philip J Fry posted:

I think most games have boats that handle better.

Amusingly boats in Watch Dogs also handle like buttered oxen on an ice rink.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wasn't Mafia 1's driving like that on purpose because cars from the era handled like cardboard boxes?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Wasn't Mafia 1's driving like that on purpose because cars from the era handled like cardboard boxes?

That doesn't excuse it from being poo poo. And honestly Mafia 2 wasn't much better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there many driving missions? I mean I don't have this game preordered anymore but if it plays to its strengths then I could see myself getting it at some point.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there many driving missions? I mean I don't have this game preordered anymore but if it plays to its strengths then I could see myself getting it at some point.

You get one driving mission mandatory as the fourth or fifth one, don't know about others. Most of them are side stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Philip J Fry posted:

i7 3770 + 670 GTX here and I've got everything on ultra aside from the textures (only 2GB of VRAM) at 2560 x 1440 pulling a solid 60+ FPS. There's some occasional stuttering popping up while driving (sounds like exactly what Orv mentioned) but it didn't start until recently.
Huh, that's odd. If you can get that kind of performance out of a 670 with less VRAM tham my card, then maybe I need to update my graphics drivers or something. Although I just checked and I'm running the latest Nvidia beta driver (337.50) and no updates are available, so I guess that's not the case :confused:

I've got an i5 4670k and you've got an i7, but no games take advantage of i7's anyway. Unless this is the first one that does...

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Orv posted:

That doesn't excuse it from being poo poo. And honestly Mafia 2 wasn't much better.

Sweet jesus that race car mission in Mafia 1 was so painful.

Unlucky7 posted:

Driving is pretty intertwined throughout the game. Additionally, there is an entire set of side quests that are car chases.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Good god so much angst.

I'm probably going to love this game because I have low standards and am easily pleased. The only thing I really hate about AC3 is the running animation. Ezio ran like a ninja, Connor runs like a redneck scrambling towards a pool full of miller lite.

I normally have incredibly low standards as well. Except for driving. I loved all the AC games, even the poo poo ones! All I can say is :filez:

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 24, 2014

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This thread continues to deliver.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

w00tuberjedi posted:

Additionally, there is an entire set of side quests that are drive chases.
Hahahahaha, gently caress that!

But yeah, many missions that I've played so far have required me to drive somewhere, like to escape from the cops or something. I suppose you could try walking but that would probably be frustrating as gently caress too, if you could even escape the cops that way.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Good god so much angst.

I'm probably going to love this game because I have low standards and am easily pleased. The only thing I really hate about AC3 is the running animation. Ezio ran like a ninja, Connor runs like a redneck scrambling towards a pool full of miller lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Is anyone running this on a low-end CPU? I've got a lovely FX-4100 (overclocked to 4.4 ghz) and it's the only thing I fear would hold me back in playing this game. Will I likely be all right on low/medium settings or should I cancel my preorder?

• Locked thread