Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I thought he looked very silly running around the battlefield with two swords, so I'm surprised to see that its supported by the novel (who knows about real life though).

Whenever I see people in games or whatever using two swords I think of a little girl in The Witcher 2 seeing Geralt and saying to her dad "why does he have TWO swords? Does he lose them often?"

The answer is that two swords is totally rad and that's all that should matter. :colbert:

I always roll my eyes when someone complains about dual-wielding being unrealistic, but especially so considering this is Dynasty Warriors here. Huang Gai swings around a loving canoe, Lu Su wields a rake, and let's not even get into all the wacky poo poo that Jin has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow the fire bow is really tough to use. For some bizarre reason starting a combo locks you facing the direction you were when you started, completely unlike every other weapon in the game. Did the enemy get knocked out of your line of fire in the middle of the combo? Too bad, nothing you can do about it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alacron posted:

The answer is that two swords is totally rad and that's all that should matter. :colbert:

I always roll my eyes when someone complains about dual-wielding being unrealistic, but especially so considering this is Dynasty Warriors here. Huang Gai swings around a loving canoe, Lu Su wields a rake, and let's not even get into all the wacky poo poo that Jin has.
No, there's just something about Liu Bei that doesn't support the idea of two swords to me. One sword yeah, but not two. And Huang Gai having a boat as a weapon is so natural I can't believe they didn't think of it before.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh when I played 7 I gave the boat weapon to Gan Ning, because Jia Xu already used the scythe and I liked the huge loving boat anchor Huang Gai had. Plus Gan Ning was a pirate, so the boat seemed to fit him best.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The boat is the first thing you think of when you think "DW has some bullshit weapons?" One guy has a rocket-powered lancer thing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

The boat is the first thing you think of when you think "DW has some bullshit weapons?" One guy has a rocket-powered lancer thing.

Personally, I believe that falls under "Wacky Jin poo poo."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alacron posted:

I'm fairly certain the Book of Five Rings has a chapter dedicated to "you have two hands, learn to use two swords", which is a sentiment that's hard to argue with.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, there's just something about Liu Bei that doesn't support the idea of two swords to me. One sword yeah, but not two. And Huang Gai having a boat as a weapon is so natural I can't believe they didn't think of it before.

Having a single sword you can hold out all authoritatively-like fits the traditional idea of a ruler better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tae posted:

Portable tonfa-machinegun-cannon-mace comes to mind as well. :v:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I've finished the four kingdom story modes now, and I'm about to start going back and checking out hypotheticals. After that, I plan to do Other and then try Ambition mode, so here is my question...

When reading this thread I've seen a few people post things like 'Oh man, I wish I had known not to (do this thing)' 'Make sure you do ___' etc. What are the things I need to watch out for in Ambition mode?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If you're playing XL, you have the option of sacrificing officers to level up other officer bodyguard abilities. Don't do this until you have 700 (unlocking all the facilities). Don't waste weapon material on making crappy weapons early on - save them and convert them to facility materials instead, because you'll need a goddamn ton. Prioritize material missions, too. Focus on the facilities listed against Tonquetai completion until you get the message that they've given you materials.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Also, unless they've changed things for XL, don't upgrade the market(?) early on. At first you can freely exchange 1 weapon material <=> 2 building material, but after a certain level the exchange rate is "upgraded" to 1 weapon material <=> 1 building material, which is bad since building materials is what you'll want.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

kissekatt posted:

Also, unless they've changed things for XL, don't upgrade the market(?) early on. At first you can freely exchange 1 weapon material <=> 2 building material, but after a certain level the exchange rate is "upgraded" to 1 weapon material <=> 1 building material, which is bad since building materials is what you'll want.

This hasn't changed, so yes, max out the market only after you're done with the rest of the buildings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm trying to get Yinping's 6th star weapon and it's pretty much impossible for me, mainly because the time that Ling Qi escapes with Red Hare pretty much expects me to one-shot the door guards (it takes me about 20 seconds). Is she supposed to be absurdly fast gone?

This is the Find Red Hare stage.

edit: Nope, apparently it's completely random when she leaves. Nice design.

Tae fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 23, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dewgy posted:

I'm fairly certain the Book of Five Rings has a chapter dedicated to "you have two hands, learn to use two swords", which is a sentiment that's hard to argue with.

Well Musashi was considered to be the master of two sword technique. I like how in the novel (Musashi) he just kind of instinctually pulls out his second sword when confronted by a large group of people and then you just get a few pages of descriptions of him chopping the gently caress out of people with his swords. Musashi is a great book.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

wei's story mode was a lot worse than shu's. it just ends in a really odd place. does the hypothetical route make it any better?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

wei's story mode was a lot worse than shu's. it just ends in a really odd place. does the hypothetical route make it any better?

Wei's story is supposed to tie directly into Jin.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

wei's story mode was a lot worse than shu's. it just ends in a really odd place.

Yeah, I was kind of bummed that we didn't get to see Cao Pi's reign, it just ended on that jarring "WELL IM GETTING OLD, SON, SO HAVE A CUTSCENE IN LIEU OF KILLING THOUSANDS OF PEASANTS TO BUTTROCK."

Man, come on Koei, I just want to kill thousands of peasants to buttrock. :sigh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Cao Pi era isn't exactly active. None of the good poo poo happens until Cao Rui is emperor when it then becomes Sima Yi vs. Zhuge Liang grudge match, and at that point you're just doing Jin territory anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

IIRC, Cao Pi was historically a good domestic ruler but wasn't much for military matters anyway.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Pureauthor posted:

Having a single sword you can hold out all authoritatively-like fits the traditional idea of a ruler better.

In the tv show his two swords sort of slot together so they look like one sword. There's a scene in the middle of the series (directly before he marries Sun Quan's sister) where he does some fancy sword stuff and shows it off before someone comes in and tells him his wife has died.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
It was sort of deal when Liu Bei got his twin swords in DW6, as he only had 1 before that. Koei Wiki has all the weapons people have had over the series, if you're interested in some trivia.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tae posted:

Give Liu Bei back his facial hair.

Just steal Three Kingdoms 2010 Liu Bei completely. :swoon: Imperial Uncle

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I still dream of a day where they have the characters age over the course of the game. As much as I love the goofy costume DLC and poo poo, I'd give it all up for aging officers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That just sounds like a Guan Yu facial hair growth simulator.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jibo posted:

I still dream of a day where they have the characters age over the course of the game. As much as I love the goofy costume DLC and poo poo, I'd give it all up for aging officers.
Well, their visual design is really important so it would be hell to redesign each character over and over again as they age.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just paint some wrinkles and gray hair on the models and talking head pictures and it'll be fine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought about giving Nobunaga's Ambition a shot since I've been in the mood for that kind of game lately and I played Shogun 2 to death. Which of the ones that has come out in the US is considered the best of the bunch? Looking at the wiki it seems like most of the franchise doesn't find its way out of Japan, which is unfortunate since it looks like a ton of fun.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I thought we actually managed to get almost all of those, including the latest PS2 one and the Pokemon Crossover.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So do I have to complete dw8 ambition mode to get to xl ambition mode? Seems like a really lovely tedious slog. Whats the fastest way through?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I got Warriors Orochi 3 and loved it but got as much fun as I'm going to get out of it. I like it because of coop and the variety of characters, is it worth getting Dynasty Warriors 8 complete on PS4? Is there a new Warriors Orochi coming any time soon? I only get one or two of these games per generation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Neo Rasa posted:

I got Warriors Orochi 3 and loved it but got as much fun as I'm going to get out of it. I like it because of coop and the variety of characters, is it worth getting Dynasty Warriors 8 complete on PS4? Is there a new Warriors Orochi coming any time soon? I only get one or two of these games per generation.

DW8 has about half as many characters, but it's got more variety since every character has a unique EX weapon and move set with it. It also retains the coop on the Playstation versions, so it's a good place to jump back in from WO series.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I can't wait for Warriors Orochi 4 so we can have all the awesome stuff that's been in the new games in the giant mash-up that is the Orochi universe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

I can't wait for Warriors Orochi 4 so we can have all the awesome stuff that's been in the new games in the giant mash-up that is the Orochi universe.
I wonder what dumb excuse for Orochi reappearing they will come up with for that one? 3's "It isn't Orochi, Orochi is dead for real this time, really! It's an avatar of destruction that just LOOKS like him" was dumb enough already.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder what dumb excuse for Orochi reappearing they will come up with for that one? 3's "It isn't Orochi, Orochi is dead for real this time, really! It's an avatar of destruction that just LOOKS like him" was dumb enough already.

There is always the "gently caress it. Make it a reboot." approach.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Jin invents cloning somehow, probably involving rockets and wires, things go hilariously wrong from there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Orochi shows up and asks for everyone's help to fight the real evil: The Devil Gundam.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pureauthor posted:

Orochi shows up and asks for everyone's help to fight the real evil: Kaioh.

My own thought on the subject. I'm certain the DLC Sabatons of 8 are a Ken's Rage moveset(Though I'm not sure who's), so there's precedent.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 24, 2014

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Pureauthor posted:

Orochi shows up and asks for everyone's help to fight the real evil: The Devil Gundam.

Not going to lie, I wish instead of Sophitia from Namco-Bandai we just got a level where you fight the Hydra with the original Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Warriors Orochi 4 new additions: DW:Gundam.

:frog: