Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

hollylolly posted:

Out of the frying pan, into another frying pan.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire, out of the fire into the furnace, out of the furnace into the plasma arc welder, out of the plasma arc welder into the sun... Genuinely, it's worse all the way down. But so good for all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
out of the frying pan, into [several iterations pass] hell

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Tollymain posted:

out of the frying pan, into [several iterations pass] hell

Beat up Satan, pick a fight with god.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm loving how there are literally zero bad characters, yeah there's good guys and bad guys and assholes and characters to hate, but they're all excellently realized.

I've laughed out loud, said 'oh holy gently caress' a few times, and this poo poo is addictive like crack. I feel a little bad that I'll hit the end later on.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The Book Barn > Web Serial Thread: Frying Pans All The Way Down

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Out of the frying pan, into the fire, out of the fire into the furnace, out of the furnace into the plasma arc welder, out of the plasma arc welder into the sun... Genuinely, it's worse all the way down. But so good for all that.
Out of the sun, into the superposition of all possible suns in multiple universes.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man. I kind of wish Pact was just Blake loving up various Benhaim's day for the entire story. :allears:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Absolutely curbstomping someone for once is great :allears:. Even if they can only do it to kids :downs:. The urban legend Bloody Mary in the flesh vs terrified children. Good job, heroes.

Holy poo poo though, that's terrifyingly powerful for Rose, though - she can summon Bloody Mary inside the mirrors, and anywhere there's a reflection near Blake, she can send Bloody loving Mary out through the glass, break through the glass for her without expending all the personal power as if she was doing it herself, and then have a supernatural serial killer stabbing any (female) people she wants.

Unfortunately the number of people they're fighting right now that are both female and likely to be harmed by Bloody Mary are pretty low, and I doubt they want to send her after the future potential ally of the Astrologer. It would probably work well against the Sisters, and female Belhaims, but that's it, and those aren't exactly major threats. Good luck sending Bloody Mary against Isadora.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 20, 2014

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Don't forget Duchamps, they're not there right now. But, they'll definitely be back.

Blake's third option is flip-flopping himself with Rose or preserving his consciousness when he dies and "trapping" himself in the mirror world, right? Considering he doesn't like touching people anyway and his friends are now practitioners that doesn't really sound like that bad of a deal

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

packsmack posted:

Don't forget Duchamps, they're not there right now. But, they'll definitely be back.

Blake's third option is flip-flopping himself with Rose or preserving his consciousness when he dies and "trapping" himself in the mirror world, right? Considering he doesn't like touching people anyway and his friends are now practitioners that doesn't really sound like that bad of a deal

You're forgetting one very important point. Motorcycle.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rose can read mirror books, what's to say Blake can't do his thing :mad:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm mostly noticing that Blake's death is "fated", and that the Astrologer seems to be on his side.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Its consistently not his "death" thats mentioned just that "he's not long for this world." He and Isadora have interpreted this as death but somehow swapping with rose makes perfect sense even down to her becoming the heir.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If Blake does manage to avoid his faith, would Isadora take a hit to her power? Because that would be awesome.

Also gently caress the Blake haters, I think he's a very decent main character and his decisions are totally believable (his reactions and trauma are not, though*). Rose *is* a bitch too, and anyone that says that's sexism needs to punch himself in the face.

*= I'm just tired of all his "damaged" angle, because it makes no sense and it's annoying to boot. "I LIVED ON THE MEAN STREETS OF TORONTO OK I'VE SEEN SOME poo poo" yet he's only midly disturbed after facing down demons and the Hyena. Either you're an emotional wreck or a badass, I doubt whatever happened to him in his pasts is even close to what's going on with him today.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trauma is weird. People who are otherwise tough as nails can be really vulnerable to specific triggers. Sometimes those triggers can be tangential in relation to the source of the trauma. I suspect Wildbow has a better understanding of trauma than you do.

Also, only sorta related to my previous point, I feel calling somebody a bitch is in and of itself somewhat sexist.

E: Bitch outside of the "female dog" usage is a sexist word. You can't get around that. It's used to refer to females and effeminate things in a negative sense. That is what makes it sexist. It's a word that says "women are bad", in a society where there is no opposite counterpart. If you choose to use it, you're either ignorant of its ramifications or you are choosing to perpetuate the elements of our culture that have lead to it.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 21, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tollymain posted:

Also, only sorta related to my previous point, I feel calling somebody a bitch is in and of itself somewhat sexist.

If we take things out of context everything is potentially offensive to someone. "Bitch" is just an insult that's usually (and in this case) used to define certain behaviour. Just like I'm not using the term to say "Rose is such a female dog!", I'm not using it to say "Rose is such an exploited sexual worker!" or whatever it is you might find sexist on it.

But in order to not derail and avoid offending anyone: Rose is constantly whining, giving Blake a hard time for taking action under extreme conditions, egoist, and now we know (what we suspected all along) that she's also Blake's forced enemy.

I mean I understand her place in the story but almost everytime she's in the scene, it annoys me. Imp was also annoying for the longest time due to her personality, but she was pretty secondary during that period, and then developed a lot as a character.

The trauma thing: yes, sure, I can understand that, but it often feels forced and overplayed. I need to get my psychiatrist friend to read Pact and see what he thinks, I guess. He's only starting Worm.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I dunno its its that much of a stretch, the trauma angle is pretty heavily hinted at being from him being sexually assaulted or raped while homeless. I agree it does come up a bit too much but thats probably due to the serial format in part.

Just dont read the WordPress comments about rose as the sexist/not sexist sides are both equally dumb.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Tollymain posted:

E: Bitch outside of the "female dog" usage is a sexist word. You can't get around that. It's used to refer to females and effeminate things in a negative sense. That is what makes it sexist. It's a word that says "women are bad", in a society where there is no opposite counterpart. If you choose to use it, you're either ignorant of its ramifications or you are choosing to perpetuate the elements of our culture that have lead to it.

What about "bitching", as used to be synonymous with "complaining"? That one's become pretty gender neutral in its application I think. I mostly ask because dammit I'm running out of PC insults here!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Saros posted:

Just dont read the WordPress comments about rose as the sexist/not sexist sides are both equally dumb.

The above strategy has served me well so far.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

What about "bitching", as used to be synonymous with "complaining"? That one's become pretty gender neutral in its application I think. I mostly ask because dammit I'm running out of PC insults here!

I fail to see how that application is any different. If it's not being used at a female person, it's being used to unfavorably compare somebody to a female person v:shobon:v

Back on the original topic: I wonder what happens to Evan if Blake switches places with Rose?

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking along these lines. I really hope Evan sticks around. I think he is being set up to hang around for awhile.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hahaha its Wildbow. Evan, "most adorable character of 2014," might just be there to capture our hearts before prematurely passing on. I wouldn't put it past him i'm just saying.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Blake switching places with Rose (temporarily) would be cool because it would give us a view into the mirror world, but I would really hate it if she became the main character.

As for evan, yeah he's eventually going to die :smith: so is one of Blake's cabal, I'm guessing not Ty since he's pretty forgettable.

Saros posted:

Just dont read the WordPress comments

I read Pact on my cellphone, so if I wanted to read the comments I would have to go trough the "TYPO THREAD" fully before reaching the others, kind of like my shield against stupid people.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

After sifting through a mountain of poo poo I found a gem! A good worm fan fiction.

Harbinger

Instead of becoming Khepri Taylor get's send back in time, well here mind takes over here 16 years old self one day before she fights Lung. It's surprisingly well written and in the 7 chapters that are out, which cover 3 days, Taylor wastes no time at all she set's mayor plans in motion which should lead to interesting divergences to the established timeline pretty soon.

There is a lot of :master: going on but not everything is going here way and with some of the stuff she has planed like killing Eidolon this should get very interesting.

Chapter 6, 7 Spoiler

I hope Tattletale get's left in the dark for quite some time her trying to figure Taylor out is pretty fun.

I started reading this tonight, and am enjoying it quite a bit. I think there are some definite tone issues, the characters don't have the voice that Wildbow gave and developed for them; with some it's really noticable (Accord, Tattletale). Also, there are some spelling issues here and there. On the whole, though, definitely worth reading.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Today's break from the thursday updates made me think about how insane Wildbow's release schedule usually is. How the hell does he do it?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
He spends 60+ hours a week writing and always has a deadline looming close enough that he can't be a perfectionist about things.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wittgen posted:

He spends 60+ hours a week writing and always has a deadline looming close enough that he can't be a perfectionist about things.

How the hell can someone keep that kind of pace up?
Does Wildbow have a job or anything?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Error 404 posted:

How the hell can someone keep that kind of pace up?
Does Wildbow have a job or anything?

This is his job.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tunicate posted:

This is his job.

Well ok, but still this is an insane pace.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The way I see it, Wildbow has both a gift for writing quickly and a strong routine. One or the other can give you a decent output, but together, it's simply amazing torrents of :words:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tollymain posted:

The way I see it, Wildbow has both a gift for writing quickly and a strong routine. One or the other can give you a decent output, but together, it's simply amazing torrents of :words:

See also: Sanderson, Brandon

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grundulum posted:

See also: Sanderson, Brandon

Yeah, I'm guessing if Wildbow actually became a regular, published author, he would be like Sanderson 2.0. I don't want that, though, the serial format works for me.

Honestly those two dudes are monsters, and I also love their works despite their flaws.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh wow, that chapter of Pact had a really good gimmick. It took me a bit staring in confusion to figure it out, but it made sense when I noticed that the last chapter was 6.10. We skipped chapter 11, and so did Blake.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Quote is not edit.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Pavlov posted:

Oh wow, that chapter of Pact had a really good gimmick. It took me a bit staring in confusion to figure it out, but it made sense when I noticed that the last chapter was 6.10. We skipped chapter 11, and so did Blake.

Oh, jesus christ, I didn't even realize that. Fantastic.

Looking at this chapter, one of the things I'm coming to appreciate the most in the story is the way that Blake and Evan interact. In a story where everything is grim, and everyone is out to get you, I like that there's some level of trust there- the line where Blake asks Evan if he'll forgive him for using The Hyena, and Evan just sort of frustratingly goes, "Yeah, of course," was a bit of a relief (rather than more grudges and angst). And, likewise, the fact that Blake is willing to entrust so much to Evan- like giving him control over the sword.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Wait.

"Afraid of the stranger, maybe somehow recognizing that Laird wasn’t a practitioner."

The gently caress?

It'd actually be kind of hilarious if this turned out to be true, and Laird has been a secret Blackguard all along. But it doesn't fit past uses of magic.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

OmniBeer posted:

Looking at this chapter, one of the things I'm coming to appreciate the most in the story is the way that Blake and Evan interact. In a story where everything is grim, and everyone is out to get you, I like that there's some level of trust there- the line where Blake asks Evan if he'll forgive him for using The Hyena, and Evan just sort of frustratingly goes, "Yeah, of course," was a bit of a relief (rather than more grudges and angst). And, likewise, the fact that Blake is willing to entrust so much to Evan- like giving him control over the sword.

I like the contrast between Evan and Blake vs Rose and Blake. Evan and Blake trust each other even though they met just a couple days previous, but Rose and Blake have serious trust issues despite being literally the same person. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SerSpook posted:

Wait.

"Afraid of the stranger, maybe somehow recognizing that Laird wasn’t a practitioner."

The gently caress?

It'd actually be kind of hilarious if this turned out to be true, and Laird has been a secret Blackguard all along. But it doesn't fit past uses of magic.

Probably a typo, although his attitude towards the truth does raise a few questions.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Wait.

The gently caress?

It's a typo, fixed now. Its supposed to say novice practitioner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

OmniBeer posted:

Especially after every chapter where Blake and Rose have a big argument about how Rose doesn't trust Blake and Blake doesn't trust Rose and they don't communicate and they don't have each other's back and they really need to get on the same page and can't Rose understand that Blake has these instincts and can't Blake understand that Rose feels like she's getting a raw deal etc etc etc. None of that bullshit here; Evan knows what's up.

• Locked thread