Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Oh god, that e/n thread :cripes:

but hey, I found duckmaster.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm reading about the curfew right now and how it affects air travelers. It seems that you are allowed to go to and from the airport during the curfew hours. However, and this is a big however, you have to provide your own transportation. This means that there are no airport taxis after 10PM. It looks like if the curfew isn't lifted next week, I'll be stuck in the CIP room until 5am unless a kindhearted goon with a car wants to arrive at the airport prior to 10PM and then give me a ride.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are in Hong Kong i got a goonmosine.

You are not in Hong Kong

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I will try to go to Hong Kong this year just so I can finally have a guy at the airport with my name on a sign waiting for me. Only it has to be my goon name and avatar.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I wish I had a car. Maybe you can arrange transport through your hotel or guesthouse? Call them and see if they could at least refer you to a private taxi service, worst case scenario. I think the tourist authority might even be arranging alternate options.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

You could also try Uber.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I am probably going to move to Thailand with my girlfriend for about 6 months or so, within the next couple of months. It looks like we're leaning towards Phuket but also considering Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I have about $40k in credit cards I can fall back on, but I would prefer to be able to live off my ~$850/month rental income. She has a master's and is in the process of getting her TESOL cert, so I'm thinking she'll be able to find a job. That said, if worst comes to worst and neither of us finds/wants to work, could we realistically get by on just my rental income? I'm seeing guides that say rent on a 1 bedroom in these cities averages $250-$400, utilities $100, and food about $6/day if you're eating out at cheap stalls, then they flip around and say you need a total of $1200-$1500 per person to get by. I guess that math doesn't make sense to me. Alternatively, is Thailand a terrible idea in light of the coup and should we be thinking of somewhere else? I would appreciate some wise and experienced goon advice.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 24, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can do 850 a month for two people but you won't be able to travel much, eat anything other than cheap street food, will have to learn the bus system, will not be able to drink more than once a month.

Have you considered how you're going to get a visa? You either will have to make visa runs every 90 days or so (possibly every fifteen if some border agent doesn't like you on any given reentry) or get a more expensive long term visa (like an Ed visa by going to a language school or a business visa by bribing a service).

Also do you have someone managing your rental already?

If you had 1500 a month you'd be able to eat wherever you wanted within reason, travel mostly at whim, go out three or four times a week and do some discretionary shopping now and then. At 850 there's an awful lot of holding off you'll have to do, which is a real shame when you could have such a great quality of life for just a little more money. It's not really 1500 per person like that if you're staying together but your housing won't be a major part of those expenses so it does scale up with additional people pretty quickly -- I generally tell people to bit bother traveling with friends in this thread because it's usually a worse experience in SE Asia and doesn't save you much money -- the same is true for living with your girlfriend I guess.

Unless she's a Thai Chinese oligarch of course. That's fine.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 24, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Some good reading from reddit: African gets caught working without a permit, is thrown into Malaysian prison.

http://reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/267luc/i_was_arrested_and_locked_up_by_the_malaysian/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

What is the reason for going now? Is it just on whim or to get some overseas work experience? Why not wait a few months and save? I personally wouldn't bother with an experience like living overseas until I have not only a good amount of money to live on each month, but also money set aside for an emergency. Like, for example, your renter dying or just not paying you anymore.

I am guessing it's impossible to save since all of your income is rental income you don't receive until you move out?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 25, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ringo R posted:

Some good reading from reddit: African gets caught working without a permit, is thrown into Malaysian prison.

http://reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/267luc/i_was_arrested_and_locked_up_by_the_malaysian/

Great read, thanks. The guy writes really well and it's a chilling story.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
She has a master's? She should be able to get work, no problem, in most places. Lots of schools take a master's, any master's, as a huge foot in the door. Phuket would literally be among the most difficult locations find a good one, though. Probably not necessary to get a TEFL if you're going to most likely just stay six months and possibly break contract anyway?

Also, a furnished one-bedroom in those cities, in a good location and large enough so you won't kill each other, is going to cost more than $400, probably closer to $500 or so. If you do the suburbs or are fine with a studio you can definitely get under $350 easily. It will be tricky finding a furnished one-bedroom in Bangkok for $250 without a long-term lease, so just ignore that price.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 25, 2014

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Live in the suburbs, and both of you should get some work at one of the mall English schools. It'll be part time, which won't pay as well as normal school work, but it'll give you the extra income you need to be able to live well. 850 is enough for two people to scrape by, but you will not have fun. Getting full time work will not allow you a whole lot of time to travel.

Something to remember is that teaching here is NOT a working holiday. It's a full time job just like you'd get at home. Yes, you'll have weekends free, but you aren't going to do a lot of traveling on them. Either work at home to save money for a holiday, or come here and work until the term is finished, at which point you can take a bit of holiday (but don't expect to save much from the salary here).

Edit: I just finished reading the E/N thread. If someone were planning to make wasteoid farang bingo, what sorts of things do you think should be on it. Illegal drug use, bargirl girlfriend, lives in Isaan?

Chair Huxtable fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 25, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chair Huxtable posted:

Live in the suburbs, and both of you should get some work at one of the mall English schools. It'll be part time, which won't pay as well as normal school work, but it'll give you the extra income you need to be able to live well. 850 is enough for two people to scrape by, but you will not have fun. Getting full time work will not allow you a whole lot of time to travel.

Something to remember is that teaching here is NOT a working holiday. It's a full time job just like you'd get at home. Yes, you'll have weekends free, but you aren't going to do a lot of traveling on them. Either work at home to save money for a holiday, or come here and work until the term is finished, at which point you can take a bit of holiday (but don't expect to save much from the salary here).

Edit: I just finished reading the E/N thread. If someone were planning to make wasteoid farang bingo, what sorts of things do you think should be on it. Illegal drug use, bargirl girlfriend, lives in Isaan?

British would be the free space (even though that guy is American...)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

retpocileh posted:

I am probably going to move to Thailand with my girlfriend for about 6 months or so, within the next couple of months. It looks like we're leaning towards Phuket but also considering Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I have about $40k in credit cards I can fall back on, but I would prefer to be able to live off my ~$850/month rental income. She has a master's and is in the process of getting her TESOL cert, so I'm thinking she'll be able to find a job. That said, if worst comes to worst and neither of us finds/wants to work, could we realistically get by on just my rental income? I'm seeing guides that say rent on a 1 bedroom in these cities averages $250-$400, utilities $100, and food about $6/day if you're eating out at cheap stalls, then they flip around and say you need a total of $1200-$1500 per person to get by. I guess that math doesn't make sense to me. Alternatively, is Thailand a terrible idea in light of the coup and should we be thinking of somewhere else? I would appreciate some wise and experienced goon advice.

You can live on $x but you'll be living in virtual poverty and it's up to you whether you can handle that. Just because it's hot doesn't mean it's better. Yesterday I spent about $10 on everything including rent, cigarettes, beer etc but today I got paid $200 and immediately rushed to the nice supermarket to stock up on proper milk and Branston Pickle. I also bought brie, and didn't even look at the price tag. Decadence.

Not many people can actually handle the whole "eating street noodles all day" thing (bear in mind the calorie intake will be substantially lower than you're probably used to and you'll be losing salt through sweat which won't be replenished - you'll end up feeling like poo poo) although the 50 cent cigarettes and dollar beers make up for it somewhat.

I think a lot of people here want to live the same lifestyle on less money (and therefore save money) but the people I know who are actually happy live a better lifestyle on the same money. That's the difference.

As ever, of course, the correct answer is to go to Cambodia.

Speaking of which, does anyone happen to know any import agents in Cambodia who can help me get a shipment through Sihanoukville without the bribery getting out of control? Nothing illegal, but feel free to speculate anyway.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Local beer tattoo, Facebook profile lists education as "School of Life" or "School of Hard Knocks," claims military (or related) background, wears short sleeve button up shirts unbuttoned, owns a woman's scooter or scooter with cute stickers on it, wears black jeans and shirt for nights out on the town, has two mobile phones that are both cheapskate phones, wears amulets, wears even-numbered number of amulets (bonus points), has tattoo in Thai script, owns >0 singlets, refers to wife/girlfriend as "me missus" (sorry Tytan - doesn't always apply!), constantly refers to "The Thais," apparently hates "The Thais," heavy smoker's voice/cough with plenty of phlegm during conversations, lives in On Nut in Bangkok - what am I missing here? A few years ago I would've said, "wears a yellow shirt with the royal emblem on it every day" but that ship has sailed due to politics.

EDIT: Refers to "Pattaya" as "puh-TOY-yuh" and Hua Hin as "Hooah Heein."

If you really want to see the ultimate wastoid farangs, you need to go to like Sihanoukville apparently. To a degree Phnom Penh, though plenty of okay people live there. Apparently, Sihanoukville is where all the wastoid sex pensioners who can't get visa status in Pattaya are going.

duckmaster posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone happen to know any import agents in Cambodia who can help me get a shipment through Sihanoukville without the bribery getting out of control? Nothing illegal, but feel free to speculate anyway.
A good friend of mine has been with one of the more prominent firms in Cambodia for a while. That's not the direct connection you're looking for because it means an attorney between you and the deal, but third world attorneys that you have a connection to are a good starting point if you don't have the connection you need. That's basically their job when they're not handling company formation stuff.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 25, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Worse than Pattaya, let me never imagine that. Then again, Pattaya is somewhat bolstered by Russians pretending they are well off and interesting people.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

duckmaster posted:

Already planning the 2014 santa hats shipment aren't we?

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Should I be worried that I have hotels and flights in Thailand for the beginning of July that I can't cancel? I am staying at the Centre Point in Silom beginning July, and then flying to Phuket. I don't really care that much about the curfew because I am going for the beaches and muay thai-- but will my ability to fly domestically be screwed? If martial law is still in place, the probability of the airport being closed/unreachable are next to impossible, right? :(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This is pure speculation but I'd imagine that everything isn't almost normal by then there will be plenty of okay workarounds in place.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm with S-G. Unless the North secedes or something then there will always be some way around things. The only real dick in the mashed potatoes for tourists is an airport seizure, but that can be gotten around by flying out of U-Tapao.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

B-Rad posted:

Should I be worried that I have hotels and flights in Thailand for the beginning of July that I can't cancel? I am staying at the Centre Point in Silom beginning July, and then flying to Phuket. I don't really care that much about the curfew because I am going for the beaches and muay thai-- but will my ability to fly domestically be screwed? If martial law is still in place, the probability of the airport being closed/unreachable are next to impossible, right? :(

Domestic flights/airports are normal afaik. You just need to get your rear end to the airport before the curfew hours. If for some reason you can't fly, there's always bus services that go all over the country. It'll take like 12 hours though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ReindeerF posted:

If you really want to see the ultimate wastoid farangs, you need to go to like Sihanoukville apparently. To a degree Phnom Penh, though plenty of okay people live there. Apparently, Sihanoukville is where all the wastoid sex pensioners who can't get visa status in Pattaya are going.
A good friend of mine has been with one of the more prominent firms in Cambodia for a while. That's not the direct connection you're looking for because it means an attorney between you and the deal, but third world attorneys that you have a connection to are a good starting point if you don't have the connection you need. That's basically their job when they're not handling company formation stuff.

Apparently a lot of the sex tourists are leaving Thailand, since Isaan has reached the stage of development where many young women have better options than trying to marry a 60 year old farang who probably has a bunch of mental issues. Of course, to the average sex tourist this is an absolutely deplorable state of affairs, and they are sure that Thailand will be in ruins once they take their business to Cambodia or The Philippines.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Senso posted:

Already planning the 2014 santa hats shipment aren't we?

This is a $5000 shipment mate, santa hats are so last year.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So it seems like everyone's talking about Cambodia. I started doing a little research on it and this is one of the first articles I found. http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/07/7-reasons-why-you-really-shouldnt-move-to-cambodia/

I'm imagining this guy could move to NYC and come up with a similarly horribly depressing article.

...I mean, he's not actually right, right?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

This is awesome, I laughed a lot.

The words a Thai woman longs to hear from her farang boyfriend are "Pack your bags dear, we’re flying to Paris." Not, "Go buy some Purell, we’re moving to Cambodia."

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

retpocileh posted:

So it seems like everyone's talking about Cambodia. I started doing a little research on it and this is one of the first articles I found. http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/07/7-reasons-why-you-really-shouldnt-move-to-cambodia/

I'm imagining this guy could move to NYC and come up with a similarly horribly depressing article.

Funnily enough, I don't think anything in there is factually incorrect for a lot of people.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

retpocileh posted:

YOU MOVE TO AMERICA AND YOU WILL GET SHOT AND MUGGED BY BLACK PEOPLE :biotruths:

It's a developing country with its ups and down. You can put people in first class infrastructure and they can still be a bunch of fuckups. So really depends on the person, but do be aware of living in a developing country.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

duckmaster posted:

How large are you talking? Might be worth checking Cam Freight? I can't seem to find their website at the moment though.

retpocileh posted:

Everything in that article is 100% true. Living in Cambodia will ruin your life, but at least you'll have fun doing it!

(If I recall K440 did another article, "reasons to not marry a Cambodian woman". The backlash from the locals was pretty hilarious).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
/\/\/\ e:f;b

Gavinmac's writing is very tongue in cheek and a bit trollish, but can be pretty funny if you don't take it seriously. He routinely pisses off the overseas Khmer forums who stumble onto his writing (for obvious reasons). I also thought the "7 Reasons Why You Should Never Friend A Khmer Girl On Facebook" article was pretty entertaining:

http://bit.ly/Sa2Wua

The behaviors there are pretty endemic to Asia from my experience. Social networks are used quite a bit differently here, which is part of why Bangkok is the most facebook-connected city in the world. When you take photos of every single thing, ever, tag everyone you know in every single photo, check in everywhere you go, reply to every other photo that every other person posts and then have absolutely no privacy settings you're pretty much Mark Zuckerberg's wet dream of a continent. I'm sure China would be the far and away leader if it weren't blocked.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 27, 2014

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Most of his articles are pretty funny, but I actually kinda wish I'd read that Facebook one 5 years ago...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

Most of his articles are pretty funny, but I actually kinda wish I'd read that Facebook one 5 years ago...
Haha, yes. I declared facebook bankruptcy several years ago, terminated the account for about 6 months and when I came back I cleaned house of all friends ever, here and at home, and started over with only people that are entertaining and provide decent quality content. I think I'm up to like 70 friends total now or something? And that's too much, frankly. I've been getting sloppy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU0SBsR3rIE

Laffo at calling the king mostly a ceremonial power, but otherwise an okay roundup.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Holy poo poo the Taylor Swift concert has been canceled. Truly a tragic day for democracy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Silver linings!

That's the second or third high profile concert we've had canceled this year. All of them either mediocre or poo poo acts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also I got my itinerary changed so I won't land post curfew. I've been hearing and reading different things about taxi availability at the airport and decided to just avoid the problem altogether by arriving at a not retarded time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Definitely a good idea. I've been advising clients to do the same if possible. There's probably a way, but if it can be avoided then it's best to avoid it. Hopefully this will wind down by Sunday.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Curfew updated to 00:01 - 04:00 as of today. Probably only matters in Bangkok.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Hi friends, I'm really looking forward to going to Thailand this August for TEFL stuff, and I'm also hoping that I'll be able to make it to Cambodia while I'm in the area. I'm posting right now because I really love my computer and I like shaving with an electric razor, and I want to make sure I won't have any problems plugging in my stuff once I'm out of the U.S.

So I've been searching around for power converters/adapters because I'd like to take one with me, so it will be one less thing to worry about. And, as of now, I'm thinking that this here device/kit that I found on Amazon would work best: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-universal-converter-charging-MRJ201GU/dp/B00F877VES/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_d_1

Would the item that I linked to work well for plugging in and charging American electronic devices in Southeast Asia? Or is there something else out there that would work better? Thanks very much for reading my post and for your consideration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Math Debater posted:

Hi friends, I'm really looking forward to going to Thailand this August for TEFL stuff, and I'm also hoping that I'll be able to make it to Cambodia while I'm in the area. I'm posting right now because I really love my computer and I like shaving with an electric razor, and I want to make sure I won't have any problems plugging in my stuff once I'm out of the U.S.

So I've been searching around for power converters/adapters because I'd like to take one with me, so it will be one less thing to worry about. And, as of now, I'm thinking that this here device/kit that I found on Amazon would work best: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-universal-converter-charging-MRJ201GU/dp/B00F877VES/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_d_1

Would the item that I linked to work well for plugging in and charging American electronic devices in Southeast Asia? Or is there something else out there that would work better? Thanks very much for reading my post and for your consideration!

For 2-pronged US stuff, you don't need anything at all. For 3-prong stuff pick up a 2 to 3 converter in a Bangkok market. All the hotels have loaners, too. If you buy that thing you will loving hate yourself for the weight in your luggage. You don't need it.